Division 1 Northeast District

pcbuck

It's almost playoff time so I thought I'd break down the D1 NE District.
They're going with the Super Districts again with the NE teams divided into East and West.
The East teams play at Euclid, Nordonia, and Canton. The West teams play at Brunswick, Cleveland, and Strongsville.
In the regional semifinals (Region 1), the Canton winner plays the Nordonia winner. The Euclid winner faces the Brunswick winner. Cleveland and Strongsville winners also play but in Region 3.

Let's start with the East. Rankings are (Coaches Poll/Prep Baseball Report).
The top 2 teams are Walsh Jesuit and Jackson.

Walsh Jesuit (15-3) (#6 in the Coaches Poll, #4 in PBR)
Ranked wins: Jackson (#5/#5), CVCA (D2 #2/D2 #4), Canfield (D2 #5/D2 #2), St Xavier (NR/#28), Hoban (D2 #21/D2 #14)
Losses: Mason (#2/#2), St Edward (#18/#6), St Ignatius (#9/#3)
I'd say Walsh is the slight favorite. They return most of their key players from last seasons Final 4 team. They beat Jackson 8-1 in the Jerry Baumgartner PBR Classic in early April. They haven't faced many teams in the District which could hurt them in the voting.

Jackson (15-4) (#5/#5)
Ranked wins: St Edward (#18,#6), Marlington (D2 #4/D2 #3), Hoban (D2 #21/D2 #14), Hoover x 2 (NR/#39), Stow (NR/#50)
Losses: St Ignatius (#9/#3), Walsh Jesuit (#6/#4), Glen Oak, Green
Jackson and Walsh have had the toughest schedules in the East. I have them a notch behind the Warriors but they definitely are ahead of the rest of the field.

I apologize in advance for any errors in the records as these are harder to come by than for football and baseball.
My next 2 in the East would be Dover and Hoover.

Dover (13-3) (#13/#22)
Ranked wins: Massillon x 2 (NR/#44), Triway (D2 #19/NR)
Losses: Hoban (D2 #21/D2 #14), Louisville, St Clairsville
Dover is hurt by their relatively weak schedule and the fact they've only played 1 team in the District.
They still are a very good squad, with 10 players returning from last year's District Runner Up team.

Hoover (9-6) (NR/#39)
Ranked wins : Wadsworth (#25/#25)
Losses: Jackson x 2 (#5/#5), Hamilton Badin (D2 #9/D2 #9), St Xavier (NR/#28), Green, Lake-split 2 games
I'd put Hoover in the same tier as Dover due their tougher strength of schedule. Hoover also has 2 guys going to D1 schools next year. One to Miami, OH, and the other to Oakland University.

Looks like you've hit the nail on the head. It's tough to argue with Walsh Jesuit #1 and Jackson #2. I might see Dover, Hoover, and Green next. It'll be fun.

One thing that hurts Green is that their best win, against Jackson yesterday, was after the District Bios were submitted (May 1-4) and after the start of voting (May 5-May7 @ noon). They have a game scheduled tomorrow against a very tough Marlington team that won't count in the District voting. Green also is hurt by 2 head scratching losses to Perry.

I think the top team in the West, despite the 5 losses, is St Ignatius (13-5), (#9 Coaches Poll/#3 PBR)
Ranked wins: Walsh Jesuit (#4/#6), St Edward (#18/#6), Jackson (#5/#5), Hoban (D2 #21/D2 #14)
Losses: St Mary's Orchard Prep (21-0, #1 USA), Calvary Christian (23-1, #4 USA), Berkely Prep (24-3, #9 USA), Tallmadge (D2 #18, D2 # 18), Solon

You read that right, the Wildcats have lost to 3 of the top 10 teams in the country according to Maxpreps. They're lead by Gabe Nard (Duke commit), Billy Adams (Ohio U commit), and sophomore Sawyer Solitaria (OSU commit).

Last edited:
Perry is an interesting story. They're way down the list with the 23rd seed, but with 2 league games remaining, winning a share of the Fed is within their control.

There was a surprising result between district teams yesterday.
#10 Kent Roosevelt beat # 6 Lake 5-3.

It's almost playoff time so I thought I'd break down the D1 NE District.
They're going with the Super Districts again with the NE teams divided into East and West.
The East teams play at Euclid, Nordonia, and Canton. The West teams play at Brunswick, Cleveland, and Strongsville.
In the regional semifinals (Region 1), the Canton winner plays the Nordonia winner. The Euclid winner faces the Brunswick winner. Cleveland and Strongsville winners also play but in Region 3.

Let's start with the East. Rankings are (Coaches Poll/Prep Baseball Report).
The top 2 teams are Walsh Jesuit and Jackson.

Walsh Jesuit (15-3) (#6 in the Coaches Poll, #4 in PBR)
Ranked wins: Jackson (#5/#5), CVCA (D2 #2/D2 #4), Canfield (D2 #5/D2 #2), St Xavier (NR/#28), Hoban (D2 #21/D2 #14)
Losses: Mason (#2/#2), St Edward (#18/#6), St Ignatius (#9/#3)
I'd say Walsh is the slight favorite. They return most of their key players from last seasons Final 4 team. They beat Jackson 8-1 in the Jerry Baumgartner PBR Classic in early April. They haven't faced many teams in the District which could hurt them in the voting.

Jackson (15-4) (#5/#5)
Ranked wins: St Edward (#18,#6), Marlington (D2 #4/D2 #3), Hoban (D2 #21/D2 #14), Hoover x 2 (NR/#39), Stow (NR/#50)
Losses: St Ignatius (#9/#3), Walsh Jesuit (#6/#4), Glen Oak, Green
Jackson and Walsh have had the toughest schedules in the East. I have them a notch behind the Warriors but they definitely are ahead of the rest of the field.
This will be a dogfight. Pitching is a huge part of HS baseball. All it takes is an off day from your "ace".

D1 is Tuesday/Thursday for sectional and district in NE OH.

Brunswick is posted - Avon and North Royalton are the highest seeds.

In terms of why things are/aren't posted, it's the site coordinators that load the stuff in.

Brackets are out for the East Districts. Link is in post #15.
Walsh is the top seed at Nordonia.
Dover is the highest seed at Canton.
Jackson chose Euclid.

They finally released the Cleveland district for D1 West.

St Ignatius #1 is the top seed at Cleveland. #6 Medina and #7 Elyria are here.
Avon #2 is the top seed at Brunswick. # 4 North Royalton and # 9 Westlake chose this District.
St Edward #3 selected Strongville, with # 5 Wadsworth, #8 Wooster and # 10 Avon Lake there as well.

Interestingly, Westlake was the only top 10 seed in either East or West D1 NEO District not to choose a bye.

Prep Baseball Report came out with their weekly rankings yesterday
Walsh Jesuit leads the way again in the East at #4. Jackson is next at #15, followed by Dover at #19
Aurora #30, Austintown #31, and Hoover #36 are also ranked from this Super District.
Keep in mind PBR is giving Jackson an additional loss. It appears they counted one of the Varsity B (Gold) losses.

Out west, St Ignatius is #3, Avon is #9, and St Edward is #16.
Wadsworth #20, North Royalton #21, Wooster #25, Barberton #29, Medina #32, and Avon Lake #35 are also ranked here.

St Edward is the 1st of the top 3 seeds in either of the Division 1 NE Super Districts to be eliminated.
The #3 seeded Eagles lost to Normandy 7-6 on Thursday. #2 Avon won a close won against Brunswick 2-1.
On the East side of things the top 3 seeds, Walsh Jesuit, Jackson, and Dover each advanced easily by run rule without giving up a run.
#4 Green, #5 Fitch, and #7 Twinsburg were all upset though.

All the District finals are set for the D1 Northeast Super Districts (All games are on Thursday 05/26)
East-
Canton: #11 Hoover vs #16 Boardman
Nordonia: #1 Walsh vs #12 Mayfield
Euclid: #17 Kenston vs #25 Willoughby South

West-
Brunswick: #2 Avon vs #4 North Royalton
St Ignatius: #1 St Ignatius vs #6 Medina
Strongsville: #5 Wadsworth vs #15 Strongsville

The West only had 1 upset out of the top 6 seeds.
The East...WOW.

If you are looking ahead, in Region 1 Canton district winner plays Nordonia district winner; Euclid winner plays Brunswick winner.
In Region 3 St Ignatius district winner plays Strongsville district winner.

These are the remaining district teams ranked in the Week 8 Coaches Poll: #4 Walsh, #14 St Ignatius, # 20 Avon, and #21 Wadsworth.
Baseball is very difficult to predict due to the nature of the 1 and done format, but I expect a lot of great baseball Thursday and a lot of great baseball to come.

Once again Dover is out of the tournament early. This senior class was to be their best with 10 returning letterman, big disappointment.

With Chardon in the d2 struthers district final, wrc has 4 teams playing in district finals. Kenston vs. South will produce at least one district winner for the league and there is a possibility of three if both mayfield and chardon win.

With Chardon in the d2 struthers district final, wrc has 4 teams playing in district finals. Kenston vs. South will produce at least one district winner for the league and there is a possibility of three if both mayfield and chardon win.
Great performances by the WRC teams. Chardon is the clear favorite in their district final against McKinley, although the team from Niles just upset Canfield.
Mayfield has a tougher road against #3 Walsh Jesuit. They played earlier with Walsh winning 6-2. Walsh has also played Kenston, defeating them by a close score of 5-2.

11 of chardon's 28 games have been played against district finalists - 2 each against south, kenston, mayfield, louisville, and chagrin and 1 against boardman. they split with chagrin and louisville, swept south, were swept by kenston and mayfield, and lost to boardman. blew leads with late inning defensive blunders in all of their losses except one to mayfield and one to kenston. hilltoppers can hit with anybody top to bottom. free bases on walks and errors late in the game have been their issues in almost every loss.

11 of chardon's 28 games have been played against district finalists - 2 each against south, kenston, mayfield, louisville, and chagrin and 1 against boardman. they split with chagrin and louisville, swept south, were swept by kenston and mayfield, and lost to boardman. blew leads with late inning defensive blunders in all of their losses except one to mayfield and one to kenston. hilltoppers can hit with anybody top to bottom. free bases on walks and errors late in the game have been their issues in almost every loss.
I agree that strength of schedule is very important in baseball. Some teams don't challenge themselves, then get upset early and wonder why.
Walsh hasn't played as many games against District Finalists but they've played more Finalists. The Warriors have played Mason, St Ignatius, Hilliard Darby, Gilmour, Hoban, Marlington, Strongsville, Mayfield, and Kenston, going 6-3. Anthony Wayne is still alive but due to number of teams in the District is not at the Finals level yet.

Once again Dover is out of the tournament early. This senior class was to be their best with 10 returning letterman, big disappointment.
Just like basketball, their ECOL and non league schedules may pad the win totals but do nothing to prepare them for tournament time.