DIV-V Region 17

I know that kirtland is very good, but I watched them play SR last season, it’s not like the game was a complete mismatch. Anything can happen when you have talent and good coaching, and a couple teams in this region do have both
Agreed. Neither defense could stop the other team’s offense last year. It came down to a turnover or two.
Kirtland posters, where is their enrollment at right now? Any chance they move up or down in the near future?
Kirtland is near the bottom of enrollment like South Range is. I think SR has the smallest enrollment in D5 (not sure how much their CB# is if they have one at all) & KLand has three or four more boys (with a CB of 0).
Kirtland fan here…If we get a rematch of Kirtland-South Range, I would expect it to be a very close game…South Range went head to head with Kirtland last year for 3 quarters, without Dominguez playing. Kirtland returned 5 starters while my understanding is South Range returned most starters…this could be a great matchup
I attended the game last year & was almost certain their star RB Dominguez played. SR came into that game down a few starters though & still gave the Hornets all they could handle in an admirable effort.

Now this season, the roles are kind of flipped…Kirtland down 3-4 starters from the beginning of this season & SR (as far as I know) still has almost all of their 16-18 starters they return from last year.
When you’ve won as many games in a row as Kirtland has though, you get no slack. They are still unbeaten, so if the Hornets are to fall, it would be to a team that is better than them; plain & simple.

I expect some tough games from here on out, beginning with a Manchester team who is better than last year & is looking not to lose to the Hornets for the third straight season. They have some great wins & close losses against some solid teams, so I am intrigued to see how well of a game they can give Kirtland this week.

I believe Bellaire’s team speed and athletes will give Garfield problems….. this game is a toss up….I will take Bellaire 28-22…. I watched the sandy valley vs Garfield game Saturday night. Garfield seems one dimensional. Not much passing
I’ll offer a different perspective on Bellaire. Outside of #22, I do not view them as having good team speed. Their lack of speed plagued them against St. Clairsville. Bellaire was cleary the more physical team against St. C, as they have been against every team they have played this year, but they couldn’t keep up with St.C’s speed…. They do not possess game breaking speed on offense. Their offense kind of sputters along each game and they have relied heavily on defensive takeaways and defensive TD’s in a lot of games this year. If Garfield shuts down their run, I would be concerned about them moving the ball. I do not like them playing #89 in the slot. I think he is more valuable in the backfield. He is more of a traditional TE/Fullback. Not so much a slot receiver. Also, get him more touches. Get #22 more touches. If Garfield is primarily a run team, I think Bellaire can hang. Their strength is run defense. Very physical defense. Teams have had absolutely no success running into the teeth of the Bellaire defense. Crestview spread them out and had some success.

Last edited:
This seems like a slight to Garaway, but very true. Dalton & Ridgewood 2 best teams Pirates have played this year. Both VERY solid wins, but Raiders wins over Springfield, Poland & Hubbard are MUCH more impressive.
Beat Indian valley who still playing as well, not saying Garaway schedule not as hard I agree.

Just to be super clear about one thing -- the Kirtland posters here go out of their way to avoid talk like "it's Kirtland's region" or "Kirtland is gonna kill everyone" -- they really do. They're also super informative when it comes to D5 and their team.

Re last year's SR-Kirtland game -- Dominguez played the entire game. SR has almost their entire team back of note except for two very good wingbacks/receivers and their QB. And, TBH, I think they've filled in those spots with kids who have been pretty much as good.

Kirtland was definitely 2 scores better than SR last year. I think you could point to the long balls Liam Powers threw in last year's game as decisive, but, honestly, Mason Sullivan was so freaking good in that power running game. Pretty much unstoppable. Yeah, they hit a third a long bomb for a TD, but that dude and that running game is why Kirtland won.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to talk rematch. But, again, Garaway will prove challenging. And that game WILL happen. SR is going to running clock Crestwood and Garaway should handle Southeast by a something close to running clock.

I'm pretty sure that CB bumped SR from D6 to D5.

Kirtland is near the bottom of enrollment like South Range is. I think SR has the smallest enrollment in D5 (not sure how much their CB# is if they have one at all) & KLand has three or four more boys (with a CB of 0).

Regarding Garfield-Bellaire, the only point of comparison I have is Crestview-Bellaire. Crestview was a middle-ish team in Garfield's league. Unfortunately, they didn't play due to a Covid cancellation. But, I'd have Garfield as winning by 3 scores in that one.

So, I'd say Garfield by 7-14, but who knows.

Just to be super clear about one thing -- the Kirtland posters here go out of their way to avoid talk like "it's Kirtland's region" or "Kirtland is gonna kill everyone" -- they really do. They're also super informative when it comes to D5 and their team.

Re last year's SR-Kirtland game -- Dominguez played the entire game. SR has almost their entire team back of note except for two very good wingbacks/receivers and their QB. And, TBH, I think they've filled in those spots with kids who have been pretty much as good.

Kirtland was definitely 2 scores better than SR last year. I think you could point to the long balls Liam Powers threw in last year's game as decisive, but, honestly, Mason Sullivan was so freaking good in that power running game. Pretty much unstoppable. Yeah, they hit a third a long bomb for a TD, but that dude and that running game is why Kirtland won.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to talk rematch. But, again, Garaway will prove challenging. And that game WILL happen. SR is going to running clock Crestwood and Garaway should handle Southeast by a something close to running clock.

Agree about Mason Sullivan…with as good as an offensive line that Kirtland puts out there, Mason Sullivan punished LBs and DBs once he got to the second level…hoping his loss to graduation doesn’t hurt the Hornets for the remainder of the playoffs

I'd like to think that SR is somewhat prepared for whatever Kirtland has to offer after facing Hubbard and TC Caffey. But, I'm pretty convinced that while Hubbard's OL is ginormous and phystical, they're not at all as well-coached as Kirtland. But, again, I'll mull that over if and when I have to.

Agreed. Neither defense could stop the other team’s offense last year. It came down to a turnover or two.

I attended the game last year & was almost certain their star RB Dominguez played. SR came into that game down a few starters though & still gave the Hornets all they could handle in an admirable effort.

Now this season, the roles are kind of flipped…Kirtland down 3-4 starters from the beginning of this season & SR (as far as I know) still has almost all of their 16-18 starters they return from last year.
When you’ve won as many games in a row as Kirtland has though, you get no slack. They are still unbeaten, so if the Hornets are to fall, it would be to a team that is better than them; plain & simple.

I expect some tough games from here on out, beginning with a Manchester team who is better than last year & is looking not to lose to the Hornets for the third straight season. They have some great wins & close losses against some solid teams, so I am intrigued to see how well of a game they can give Kirtland this week.
3-4 starters to injury is significant. Who did they lose?

3-4 starters to injury is significant. Who did they lose?
I won’t give out names, but they include starters at tight end/receiver, linebacker/fullback, & defensive tackle. They were forced to start freshmen at nose tackle & center this week, per the News-Herald.

Nevertheless, the ship keeps sailing. You won’t hear complaining from me or any of the other Hornet faithful. The best way to tell if you’re a state-caliber team is if the guy behind you is prepared for the opportunity when it arises.

do you think we give a rats ash what you think? do you really think that you messed up our "chat"?? the only thing you did was make yourself look like a jerk.
You obviously were bothered enough to respond. Do not worry, you will get over your hurt feelings. In the meantime, enjoy me being right. In fact you'll need to get used to it.

I believe Bellaire’s team speed and athletes will give Garfield problems….. this game is a toss up….I will take Bellaire 28-22…. I watched the sandy valley vs Garfield game Saturday night. Garfield seems one dimensional. Not much passing
That is the way most wing t or single wing teams are. Passing is limited with those kinds of offense. Also Garfield beat LaBrae who has some great speed and athletes for D6.

That is the way most wing t or single wing teams are. Passing is limited with those kinds of offense. Also Garfield beat LaBrae who has some great speed and athletes for D6.
Garfield is one of those teams that says "yep, we're one dimensional. Now do something about it."

Overall, the top 4 of this region has to be some of the most PHYSICAL teams around (he said sure he would be offending someone else) When these guys play don't be late to the gate because the only thing that will slow the clock down is how often they have to kick the extra point. They're going to run until they 1) get stopped or 2) you commit so much to the box the pass is wide open.

This seems like a slight to Garaway, but very true. Dalton & Ridgewood 2 best teams Pirates have played this year. Both VERY solid wins, but Raiders wins over Springfield, Poland & Hubbard are MUCH more impressive.
Is it just a given that Garaway beats Southeast?
Southeast has an offense that’s a carbon copy of Garretsville. I haven’t seen Garaway play this year.

Is it just a given that Garaway beats Southeast?
Southeast has an offense that’s a carbon copy of Garretsville. I haven’t seen Garaway play this year.
Nothing is a given at this point. That said, I do believe the top 4 are a step ahead of the rest of the region. Southeast will give them a game, but the Pirates D is really top notch.

Been watching film, imo SE is too one dimensional, #11 QB is a stud they hand it off to their RB every so often. I hope SE line can handle Garaway's Speed up front. Garaway will have 8 to 9 in box stop the run because their CB are athletic and fast.

Have you not found snooki?? Did she turn you down poor guy.
What does that even mean? Your jokes are only funny if more than just you understand them. It still does not make me wrong. This region is a formality on the Kirtland march to the championship. May as well decorate downtown Kirtland and schedule the victory parade right now.

Has it rained up in Garrettsville at all since Friday? If it has the state might want to consider moving that game. The field was a slip and slide last week. If it has no time to recover it might be unplayable this week.

Hey Kirtland4580, have you heard anything regarding Kirtland’s starting center and starting NT? Will they be back for this game?