DIV Region 16 Clinton-Massie vs Wyoming

While Massie may be the favorite, there is simply no way they will beat Wyoming by 3 touchdowns. Their defense is too good for that. Keying on Hester is a good strategy. But he has seen 8 in the box all year designed specifically to stop him, and no one has! With the diverse nature of Wyomings offense, and a solid defense, I'll take Wyoming by 12 to win. IMHO.
You were sort of right. They won by 4 td, not 3.

Hats off to both teams on a very well played game. Clinton massie just had a more diverse offense tonight. Wyoming could not focus on any of those backs. Massie has 3 guys over 100 yards tonight and the 4th back had over 50 and usually busts off a few big runs. Massie defense flat took Hester out of the game. Wyoming and CM are definitely two football powers in division 4 and there will be more matchups down the road. Wyoming’s staff and players acted very classy and Wyoming should be proud as a school as all of there programs are excellent. Congrats on a big win Massie.

Hats off to both teams on a very well played game. Clinton massie just had a more diverse offense tonight. Wyoming could not focus on any of those backs. Massie has 3 guys over 100 yards tonight and the 4th back had over 50 and usually busts off a few big runs. Massie defense flat took Hester out of the game. Wyoming and CM are definitely two football powers in division 4 and there will be more matchups down the road. Wyoming’s staff and players acted very classy and Wyoming should be proud as a school as all of there programs are excellent. Congrats on a big win Massie.
It always cracks me up when someone says something like, "Massie doesn't have a diverse offense". Very very few offenses make you account for everyone the way that massie does. Just because they run it 98% of the time doesn't make it less diverse. You still had better be ready for every skill position player to get the ball on any given play.

Its wild to me how consistent the program at Massie is. If I didn't know better id think they cloned kids and just changed names lol all their backs run the same, their line is always tall, fit, and nasty. Well coached and consistent. Congrats and keep rolling. Pretty awesome having 2 sbaac teams still alive.

Its wild to me how consistent the program at Massie is. If I didn't know better id think they cloned kids and just changed names lol all their backs run the same, their line is always tall, fit, and nasty. Well coached and consistent. Congrats and keep rolling. Pretty awesome having 2 sbaac teams still alive.
Those kids work in the offseason. Weight training at the Strength Lab for a 6 month program. They prepare for this. Have for at least the last 10 years.

Those kids work in the offseason. Weight training at the Strength Lab for a 6 month program. They prepare for this. Have for at least the last 10 years.
How is this different than (at least) 200 other schools in the state?

Was no disrespect intended if you took it that way. Its just remarkable how similar the teams look from year to year. Its a testament to the staff. I've competed with massie for 20+ years as a player/coach i respect what they've done immensely.

I would agree with that assessment, if it were earlier in the season. However, Their quarterback had 227 yd and 2 touchdown passing in the last game. And he has been trending that way for the last 5 games. But I do see your point. Either way, still way more diverse than Clinton Masaie.
Didn’t look more diverse to me.. ??‍♂️

Here is what people don’t understand. I have heard coach McSurley say that his passing game is the option. The more I thought about it the more it makes sense. QB has to decide who gets the ball by making reads. From what I saw last night I bet they ran the option about 20 times.

You'd have to see it to understand
I HAVE seen what kids do at schools that have won more state championships than Massie--and at schools with fewer-- it's not a lot different-- ALL HS kids who take football seriously these days work out with weights virtually ALL year round-- it is NOT a differentiator. And most of the bigger, better schools have a strength-training coach advising them-- whether they call it a "Strength Lab" or not-- so again, NOT a differentiator.

People constantly make remarks on Yappi about "players needing to get in the weight room" in the off-season to have (more) success the next year, as if that is some kind of novel concept-- it is NOT-- kids working out in the off-season is NOT the reason that the top teams are the top teams-- it is "necessary but NOT sufficient".

I HAVE seen what kids do at schools that have won more state championships than Massie--and at schools with fewer-- it's not a lot different-- ALL HS kids who take football seriously these days work out with weights virtually ALL year round-- it is NOT a differentiator. And most of the bigger, better schools have a strength-training coach advising them-- whether they call it a "Strength Lab" or not-- so again, NOT a differentiator.

People constantly make remarks on Yappi about "players needing to get in the weight room" in the off-season to have (more) success the next year, as if that is some kind of novel concept-- it is NOT-- kids working out in the off-season is NOT the reason that the top teams are the top teams-- it is "necessary but NOT sufficient".
Strength Lab for the Massie Program is one part of the consistency you see with our teams. One of the things that I think is different than other programs in our league and area is the engagement and number of kids in the program that dedicate to preparing in the off-season. A lot of our boys have been participating in the Strength Lab from a very early age….(3rd/4th grade).

Another huge factor is McSurely and his Staff. They have been with him for a very long time. Many of his assistants played for him and have been running the offensive scheme since Pee Wee Football.

Much of the High School Staff is involved and influences the youth program at Massie. The entire community is on board with McSurely and his philosophy’s. The Massie community is a tight knit family.

The Massie program reminds me of many of the MAC conference teams, Steubenville, Ironton, ext. You have generational continuity. Many of the kids coming up through the system have a Dad, Cousin, Brothers, or Uncle that also played for McSurley. Many of those Alumni are heavily involved in the Pee Wee program and are also heavily engaged in other aspects of the community/school system.
Prior to McSurely the Massie Community was not in a good place……very rarely contending for a league title in any sport. The transformation once McSurely showed up for not only the football team, but the entire school system is something that you would just have to be a part of to understand. I think the Alumni and Community are thankful and understand that….and have remained loyal to that by returning to the community and raising their families here. We want to keep it going.
When Massie started initially making it to the playoffs we would come up against teams like Versailles or Coldwater….and those teams left an impression on us.
Those teams and how they carried themselves and looked warming up, how tough and hard nosed they played, it opened up our eyes to what was needed in order to be a State Champ. They looked like robots.
All the kids were in shape and looked for the most part physically similar. The offensive line was athletic…..no fat slow guys.

We kinda are cloning kids if you think about it. Massie Football is instilled into these boys from a very early age. The youth program runs the same system. By the time they get to HS many things that other programs have to spend time teaching have already become second nature to our boys. Our HS staff fixes a few things, fine tunes them, and the result is a well oiled machine.

Strength Lab for the Massie Program is one part of the consistency you see with our teams. One of the things that I think is different than other programs in our league and area is the engagement and number of kids in the program that dedicate to preparing in the off-season. A lot of our boys have been participating in the Strength Lab from a very early age….(3rd/4th grade).

Another huge factor is McSurely and his Staff. They have been with him for a very long time. Many of his assistants played for him and have been running the offensive scheme since Pee Wee Football.

Much of the High School Staff is involved and influences the youth program at Massie. The entire community is on board with McSurely and his philosophy’s. The Massie community is a tight knit family.

The Massie program reminds me of many of the MAC conference teams, Steubenville, Ironton, ext. You have generational continuity. Many of the kids coming up through the system have a Dad, Cousin, Brothers, or Uncle that also played for McSurley. Many of those Alumni are heavily involved in the Pee Wee program and are also heavily engaged in other aspects of the community/school system.
Prior to McSurely the Massie Community was not in a good place……very rarely contending for a league title in any sport. The transformation once McSurely showed up for not only the football team, but the entire school system is something that you would just have to be a part of to understand. I think the Alumni and Community are thankful and understand that….and have remained loyal to that by returning to the community and raising their families here. We want to keep it going.
When Massie started initially making it to the playoffs we would come up against teams like Versailles or Coldwater….and those teams left an impression on us.
Those teams and how they carried themselves and looked warming up, how tough and hard nosed they played, it opened up our eyes to what was needed in order to be a State Champ. They looked like robots.
All the kids were in shape and looked for the most part physically similar. The offensive line was athletic…..no fat slow guys.

We kinda are cloning kids if you think about it. Massie Football is instilled into these boys from a very early age. The youth program runs the same system. By the time they get to HS many things that other programs have to spend time teaching have already become second nature to our boys. Our HS staff fixes a few things, fine tunes them, and the result is a well oiled machine.
It does sound similar to what fans of MAC high school teams describe about their schools' teams. It is also similar to what goes on at Wyoming. Of course, those are the more successful teams-- as is Massie. I think the things you describe that are OTHER THAN the weight room work have more to do with the continued steady success of the team, than the weight room activities-- the "cultural" aspects-- those are commonly present at the top school teams-- that's where the winning mentality (and edge) is bred.

McSorley is THE key factor. Check any high school sport over the course of the last 50 years. Excellent coaching elevates good talent to great teams, average talent to good teams and below average talent to average teams. Average coaching yields better than average teams only in years where talent is above average. Bad coaching yields teams that are rarely above average, despite talent level. Happens every year in every sport at every school. There is a reason Versailles football was excellent for 30 years with Al Hetrick, Alter basketball was great with Joe Petrocelli, Glenville track was great with Ted Ginn Sr. Beavercreek girls hoops were great with Ed Zink and so on. Coaching is not the only thing that matters but it is buy a long measure the most important.

McSorley is THE key factor. Check any high school sport over the course of the last 50 years. Excellent coaching elevates good talent to great teams, average talent to good teams and below average talent to average teams. Average coaching yields better than average teams only in years where talent is above average. Bad coaching yields teams that are rarely above average, despite talent level. Happens every year in every sport at every school. There is a reason Versailles football was excellent for 30 years with Al Hetrick, Alter basketball was great with Joe Petrocelli, Glenville track was great with Ted Ginn Sr. Beavercreek girls hoops were great with Ed Zink and so on. Coaching is not the only thing that matters but it is buy a long measure the most important.
100% agree. Massie was a revolving door of coaches for years before McSurley. We had a few good years/teams right before he showed up that kind of set the standard for what Massie football would eventually become…..all we needed was a Coach.

We got one.

100% agree. Massie was a revolving door of coaches for years before McSurley. We had a few good years/teams right before he showed up that kind of set the standard for what Massie football would eventually become…..all we needed was a Coach.

We got one.
Agreed! If memory serves me right, Jay N. kinda got the ball rolling and DM developed the program you see today.

Agreed! If memory serves me right, Jay N. kinda got the ball rolling and DM developed the program you see today.
Niswonger was there for a couple seasons in the early 80s. That was 15 years or so before McSurely arrived. Not sure that you can really say he got the ball rolling.

We got one.
Definitely some truth to this... my 6 yrs of football at CM, had a different coach every year (6 yrs 6 coaches), late 80s early 90s. And we were BAD, but had enough talent to be better than our record. Dan bringing a wrestling program to CM in the late 90s was also a factor in my opinion. Winning also brought the community back together, its cool to see Clarksville, Wilmington and Harveysburg yards and business's flooded with Go Falcons signs since 1998. Lots of Alumni, including me, moved back just to have my son play for CM.

Definitely some truth to this... my 6 yrs of football at CM, had a different coach every year (6 yrs 6 coaches), late 80s early 90s. And we were BAD, but had enough talent to be better than our record. Dan bringing a wrestling program to CM in the late 90s was also a factor in my opinion. Winning also brought the community back together, its cool to see Clarksville, Wilmington and Harveysburg yards and business's flooded with Go Falcons signs since 1998. Lots of Alumni, including me, moved back just to have my son play for CM.
And Owensville lol kid was good though. Made a smart choice not playing at CNE lol

Niswonger was there for a couple seasons in the early 80s. That was 15 years or so before McSurely arrived. Not sure that you can really say he got the ball rolling.
IMO,

The team that got the ball rolling at Massie was the 1993 team. Went 9-0. Missed playoffs due to Yellow Springs forfeiting a game.

10-0 gets them into the playoffs.

Arguably one of the best teams Massie has ever had. Never really got to see how good that team was due to not being able to control their destiny by going to the playoffs. This was back when only 4 teams made the playoffs. That team kind of came out of nowhere.

I will admit...the fact that they never got to see how good they really were may have increased their Legend status a bit......but make no mistake....they were some bad dudes.

I was in middle school at the time and remember them being just some mean, nasty, dudes who you would not want to meet in a dark alley.
They were as hard-nosed and as tough as you can get. That team, in my opinion, set the standard for what would later be known as "Massie Football". Smash-mouth, hard-hitting, physical, mean, and nasty. They were brawlers. Went into every game with the mindset that its a dog fight and there was only one dog making it out of that fight.

Head Coach Kloppenburg, Asst. Coach Martin, Asst. Coach Crawford., Coach Brush .....I think.

Notable Players from that team: Billy Russell- WR/S, Ryan Mathis - RB, Shawn Meyers- FB, Josh Merz- LB/TE, Mark Walters- WR
Jeremy Lamb - LB/OL, Jason Phipps-WR/TE/LB, Mark Hackney-OL/LB, Bryan Vaugh-OL/DL.....I am sure there are many more I am forgetting.

That team/players/coaches are kinda the founding fathers of modern Massie Football in IMO. They were the first group to come through in a long time that made the community believe that we could win. Not long after that team came through we got a Coach and the McSurely Era began.

Once you combined a group of young men who had looked up to the 1993 team and wanted to emulate those guys with McSurely and his offensive philosophy it quickly turned into something special.

The program continued to get better, more consistent, building and improving each year on what the class before had achieved.

It has been an awesome thing to witness and be a part of. Success breeds success and the entire Massie Community has improved in all facets, in large part IMO, due to the success of the Football Program.

All we needed was a Coach.

Valley View, Clinton Massie and such are schools that made football a priority. When I was in HS neither one were any good. My JH and HS years were from 1978-1984, Milton finished 10-0 twice and 9-1 twice. There were 6-4 and 7-3 seasons thrown in there. From 1975-1984 Milton had 3 10-0 seasons won 7 league titles. After our cusco left in 1983 to take over Piqua, it was 20 years before we had another winning season.
That's when our current coach took over and now they are winning again. Coaching is everything.