Div. 1, Region 3 Match-ups

Heelinohio

Division I, Region 3​

Reynoldsburg (9) at Upper Arlington (1)

Hilliard Bradley (7) at Pickerington Central (2)

Pickerington North (6) at Gahanna Lincoln (3)

Hilliard Darby (5)
at New Albany (4)

We have three potentially great matchups in Region 3. IMHO, the only outcome that would truly qualify as an "upset" would be Bradley over PC. Bradley will need a lot of help from PC to win that one. UA and NA better be on full upset alert or their undefeated seasons will come to a quick end! UA doesn't need to convinced that the Raiders are a serious threat since they already played early in the season. Bradley has played a very tough schedule so NA certainly won't scare them. Not sure what to expect from PN. Very good defense, off-set by a below-average plodding offense. Panthers are good enough to beat Gahanna, but they will have to be a LOT more aggressive in their play calling to beat a more talented team.

Give me Gahanna over Pick North… Pick North struggled mightily against Groveport last week! The game was a lot closer than 20-0

Last edited:
It all depends on how UA decides to come at Reynoldsburg' offense. Their QB is the key. He throws a nice ball and can definitely get free and be creative when he needs to. Pure athlete. When he is on the field you'd better play till the whistle.

It all depends on how UA decides to come at Reynoldsburg' offense. Their QB is the key. He throws a nice ball and can definitely get free and be creative when he needs to. Pure athlete. When he is on the field you'd better play till the whistle.
The same can be said for Reynoldsburg. How will they stop Gresock? He had 381 yds last time these two teams played. He had 1650 yds and 25 tds in the reg season. Slow him down you have to deal with QB Monin. He was 114 for 171 for 1600 yds, and i think 21 Tds, in reg season. UA is a better team than week #1. But i expect Rey is as well.

I remember Rey had a couple really good RBs as well. Or one for sure. I think it may take 40 pts to win round 2 of this game.

UA has the better kicker and better special teams i think. That matters in a game like this.

Last edited:
If PN really wanted to confuse a defense on 3rd and long they would actually pass the ball down the field. Everyone by now knows that when they go to an empty backfield spread formation, it will either be a QB draw or a "none yards" pass (as described by Dandy Don Meredith), and gain maybe a yard... If the opponent is consistently dumb enough to fall for that, then they deserve to lose.

Looks like PN pulled out the entire bag of tricks to score and their defense was just enough to hold off the Lions. Now the rematch with big brother.

Congrats to UA. I was wrong about Reynoldsburg. That was not the same team I saw a couple of weeks ago.
As for next week, should be two good matchups.
New Albany-Upper Arlington should be the tighter of the two games. I don't think Pick Central will play as poorly as they did in the earlier game with Pick North. And after what I saw from all four teams last night, the regional Final should be this as a prediction.

Upper Arlington 35-New Albany 32 and I would not be surprised if this goes to Overtime to decide it.
Pick Central 38 - Pick North 21 game will be close for a while before PC pulls away.
This would set up a UA-PC Regional Final which would be huge for Central Ohio.

If Marysville wins next week over Whitmer in Region 2 you could have the chance of having two Central Ohio teams playing for a spot in the State Semi-Finals. These next two weeks will be some really football played during the most important time of the year. I wish all teams the best next week.

Congrats to UA. I was wrong about Reynoldsburg. That was not the same team I saw a couple of weeks ago.
As for next week, should be two good matchups.
New Albany-Upper Arlington should be the tighter of the two games. I don't think Pick Central will play as poorly as they did in the earlier game with Pick North. And after what I saw from all four teams last night, the regional Final should be this as a prediction.

Upper Arlington 35-New Albany 32 and I would not be surprised if this goes to Overtime to decide it.
Pick Central 38 - Pick North 21 game will be close for a while before PC pulls away.
This would set up a UA-PC Regional Final which would be huge for Central Ohio.

If Marysville wins next week over Whitmer in Region 2 you could have the chance of having two Central Ohio teams playing for a spot in the State Semi-Finals. These next two weeks will be some really football played during the most important time of the year. I wish all teams the best next week.
Way to many points predicted in the Pickerington battle. I will take the under. I see maybe 21 central--7 or 10 north. Both offensive teams are not explosive. Plus North will do their best to shorten the game when they have the ball.

Way to many points predicted in the Pickerington battle. I will take the under. I see maybe 21 central--7 or 10 north. Both offensive teams are not explosive. Plus North will do their best to shorten the game when they have the ball.
I agree. Both defenses are stout, offenses a little bland. Not being negative. It's just the way it is. The time for big players to make big plays in big games is NOW for PC.

Big win for Upper Arlington. Gresock had approx 25 carries 242 yds 5 tds. Had 191 yds in the 2nd half. Monin was 7 for 11 96 yds in 1st half. Only attemped 2 passes in 2nd half. Completed one.

First half UA converted a 3rd and 22 with a 42 yd pass from Monin to Cannon and scored on that drive. Second half converted a 2nd and 28 with a 81 yd TD run by Gresock.

Down 17-0 Reynoldsburg had a great drive, 15 plays maybe, and scored with 10 sec left in the 1st half. Making it 17-6.

1st drive of 3rd quarter Rey drives down and scores making it 17-12. They get the 2pt conv but a penalty takes it off.

Then Gresock gets his 81 yd run in the 3rd Q and a 52 yd TD in the 4th Q.

I agree. Both defenses are stout, offenses a little bland. Not being negative. It's just the way it is. The time for big players to make big plays in big games is NOW for PC.
Agreed this will NOT be a high scoring game. Tigers I'm sure will be really up for this game after the first matchup. I could see it being a similar score to their game vs Bradley of 28-10. Central may not get that many points, but I think the ceiling for North scoring vs Tiger D would be about 14.

I'm thinking likely that the North/Central game will be at Groveport w/New Albany/UA at DeSales.

PC offense is 100% coaching. “Big Players” are on defense. #13, #37, #27, #3 all standing on the sideline when the offense is on the field.
#31 is the only real threat at receiver but #4 has been solid too. #8, #21 are both really good backs and #44 is a game changer. #15 and #2 can get some tough yards. #22 is a mismatch that is never exploited. The Oline has been playing at a high level and that includes pass blocking.
If PC ever decides to use their athletes on offense, mix in some post 1980’s scheme and come to the realization that crossing routes over the middle will be wide open 90% of the time, they could be as good or better on offense as they are on defense. Until then, they will continue to play close games against lesser talented teams.

PC offense is 100% coaching. “Big Players” are on defense. #13, #37, #27, #3 all standing on the sideline when the offense is on the field.
#31 is the only real threat at receiver but #4 has been solid too. #8, #21 are both really good backs and #44 is a game changer. #15 and #2 can get some tough yards. #22 is a mismatch that is never exploited. The Oline has been playing at a high level and that includes pass blocking.
If PC ever decides to use their athletes on offense, mix in some post 1980’s scheme and come to the realization that crossing routes over the middle will be wide open 90% of the time, they could be as good or better on offense as they are on defense. Until then, they will continue to play close games against lesser talented teams.
Coach S has a history of with holding big plays/players for "need to use" situations in the playoffs. IMO the time to open up is now, it's win or go home. I think PCs QB is more comfortable with short passes but those need to be down field not sideways. #22 in a button hook situation is a for sure 5-6 yds. PCs run game is strong but the blocking scheme has to be spot on vs PN. Chess match type game Friday.

New Albany beats UA. Everyone wants to talk about New Albanys schedule being weak... UA has only beat ONE team with a winning record. I think it will be a great game but New Albany has played three teams better than anyone UA has played: Darby, Pick North & Gahanna. Give New Albany some respect. Averaging almost 50 a game this year.

Pickerington game will be low scoring. Both thrive off of turnovers and great defense. Tigers win because experience and too much talent. They have a bunch of players who are used to playing this time of year.

My Hawks got upset Friday night so I will be attending one of these... haven't decided which yet.

Hartley1- Bold prediction. Any insight besides NA schedule vs UA schedule. Personnel match up’s, NA strengths vs UA weakness / vice versa? Interested to hear your thoughts.

I dont know if its a bold prediction. I'm not sure who wins the UA NA game. But NA schedule is not any better than UA's. Anyone who doesnt think two wins over Reynoldsburg (regardless of their record) doesnt know much about central ohio football. OCC Central may be a bit down but is still a quality league. And, i dont see anyone disrespecting NA or their schedule.

I look foward to the game. Dont know who wins.

UA brings:
RB Gresock. Almost 2000 yds, 30 Tds, about 10.0 a carry
QB Monin i think he averages about 17 att 11 completions, 160 yds a game. Over 20 tds i think.
WR - Cannon (a scoring machine receiving, kick and punt returns), Mazaferri, Gresock, a few others
Def - I'm not sure the best way to quantify how good they are. But they just did a very solid job on Rey QB (who everyone agrees is pretty darn good).
K - UA has a really good one. I believe he is going D1 to kick.
Special teams - really good. Several kick returns for TDs, punt return TDs, blocks.

Whatcha got? Im trully interested to know. Haven't followed NA but know they are 12-0 and can see their schedule on joeeitel.com.

Last edited:
North/Central ought to be played at Lancaster. ?
I agree it would make better sense than traveling to Newark but Lancaster didn't put a bid in to host because of the construction for the new baseball fields. They want to get as much done before the weather gets bad. It is the reason the Buses are being parked at the Mall by the old Sears location.
I heard that construct crew hit a gas line before the Fisher Catholic - Berne Union game, luckily it didn't postpone the game.

Just don't get having to travel to Newark. Groveport and Gahanna are both sitting empty this upcoming weekend.......Reynoldsburg and Watkins as well. I like the Newark facility, just doesn't make sense if there are 4 different facilities all much closer to 2 schools than having to travel to Newark....Can't believe that None of them put in to host.

I don't mind traveling to Newark. Both teams have to travel the same distance and it isn't a long distance. 43 minutes by Google. That facility has a nice "Old school" feel to it.

Just don't get having to travel to Newark. Groveport and Gahanna are both sitting empty this upcoming weekend.......Reynoldsburg and Watkins as well. I like the Newark facility, just doesn't make sense if there are 4 different facilities all much closer to 2 schools than having to travel to Newark....Can't believe that None of them put in to host.
Why would anyone put in to host at this point, other than that they already have the manpower and history to do it. OHSAA is paying minimal to a site host, you are asking volunteers to staff a game that doesn't include their hometown team, it is mid-November, no one gets to sit in a heated ticket booth as all tickets are "mobile" and we are still in Covid territory. You would have had to "put in" for hosting this week's games a few months ago - it just isn't worth it.

And that makes me sad. I get that schools should be in it for "the common good -" but that doesn't fit enough peoples' agenda right now.

I remember attending Pick Central vs Logan playoff game at Lancaster maybe 15-20 years ago - the Conrad brothers for Logan. Great atmosphere, packed house and one of the best HS football games I have seen.

Coach S has a history of with holding big plays/players for "need to use" situations in the playoffs. IMO the time to open up is now, it's win or go home. I think PCs QB is more comfortable with short passes but those need to be down field not sideways. #22 in a button hook situation is a for sure 5-6 yds. PCs run game is strong but the blocking scheme has to be spot on vs PN. Chess match type game Friday.
PC will win by 2-3 touchdowns if they decide to actually play to win. However, if the Tigers are rigidly 'arrogant' and predictable in play calling, we will likely see the same kind of game as the regular season one. I have to applaud Pick North coaches for recognizing that Gahanna had a better team and that to win they had to take chances and play with audacity... I'm looking for Panther on-side kicks, fake punts, run blitzes, and 9-10 defenders in the box. Wish the game was being played at Gahanna, but oh well... If Google maps is accurate, it looks like there's paved/gravel parking for about 100 cars - total - at the stadium... The rest will be in a grassy/muddy field. Guess we better hope it doesn't rain.

New Albany beats UA. Everyone wants to talk about New Albanys schedule being weak... UA has only beat ONE team with a winning record. I think it will be a great game but New Albany has played three teams better than anyone UA has played: Darby, Pick North & Gahanna. Give New Albany some respect. Averaging almost 50 a game this year.

Pickerington game will be low scoring. Both thrive off of turnovers and great defense. Tigers win because experience and too much talent. They have a bunch of players who are used to playing this time of year.

My Hawks got upset Friday night so I will be attending one of these... haven't decided which yet.
I saw NA for first time Friday night. They are very fast. #44 is very tough to bring down. #32 is also very good runner and #7 the QB may be the fastest of them all.

NA defense was solid, but nothing spectacular. At least not this past Friday night. I expect UA to be able to score much more easily on NA than Darby did as their offense much more efficient it seems.

The question will be does NA win a shootout? Or Will UA defense get enough stops? That’s how I see it playing out.

UA proved to me how good they were with their win over a very good, and hot Reynoldsburg team. Don’t be fooled by their record.

I believe UA is the best team in the region this year. But, I wouldn’t be shocked if NA wins. Any team 12-0 at this point in the year is a good team.

Hoping to see great game between you these two this Friday.

Quite a turnaround year for UA. Wish I could be at this one too. I've not seen them play, but it 'feels' like UA is getting better w/ each game and have serious momentum. My prediction:
UA 38
NA 27

Quite a turnaround year for UA. Wish I could be at this one too. I've not seen them play, but it 'feels' like UA is getting better w/ each game and have serious momentum. My prediction:
UA 38
NA 27
That's a pretty good prediction I think Heel.
I'll go UA 38 NA24
PC 24 PN 10

That's a pretty good prediction I think Heel.
I'll go UA 38 NA24
PC 24 PN 10
I am so excited for the UA vs NA game. Don't know who wins. Too close to call. Everyone knows Gresock is coming. He can carry the ball 35 times or more if needed. UA has not needed him to do that. He averaged 16/17 carries a game and 10.0 yds a carry. He had 25 last week. Had 50 yds in the first half on 13 carries as Reynoldsburg did a good job. But coach Butermore will keep feeding him, and if its cold and rainy, not sure i would want to be taking the hits FROM Gresock. He had 190 yds in the second half last week and that is with another 35 yd TD run called back. If you sell out to stop him Monin will kill you. If NA can score like they have all year I think 44-38 is not out of the question.

Go Bears