Disappointed

I think the schools are members of the OHSAA; not sure having people[coaches] making financial decisions [site selection] is a good idea; obviously because they are not the ones having to come up with the money.
Because of COVID, only one tournament sport made money this year - Football
The rest of the sports have lost $$MILLIONS$$ this year.
How much did cross country lose?

at least your senior had a chance to do spring sports this year..... how about the seniors from last year that had every game cancelled and didn't have a chance to compete for anything, or have a prom, or really having NOTHING from Winter on to do....... be thankful.....for being able to compete this year...
Yep, I had one of those too. So heartbreaking for them.

OHSAA did an outstanding job putting on a championship tournament. Not perfect. Things I would have changed, but all things considered, looking at big picture. Kids were given a great state meet. Officials worked their butts off for the kids.

My own son had his senior season cancelled. Hung onto hope it would happen last year. Wanted one last chance to compete. Would have killed for a single dual meet. Absolute garbage year in every way. Some life changing ways that are not good.

At the start off the season everything was still questionable. The OHSAA gave the kids a great championship.

OHSAA did an outstanding job putting on a championship tournament. Not perfect. Things I would have changed, but all things considered, looking at big picture. Kids were given a great state meet. Officials worked their butts off for the kids.

My own son had his senior season cancelled. Hung onto hope it would happen last year. Wanted one last chance to compete. Would have killed for a single dual meet. Absolute garbage year in every way. Some life changing ways that are not good.

At the start off the season everything was still questionable. The OHSAA gave the kids a great championship.
Even with an injury marred season with nothing close to a PR my son said this year was much better than last year. I was pleasantly surprised at the intensity of the state meet. Having run a couple meets already at Darby, I didnt have a lot of hope this would feel like a state meet. (Not a slam on Darby, they do a great job hosting meets.) But given the circumstances this was pretty good.

Putting aside the fact that Covid protocols in the B1G essentially killed the chance for the state meet at JO, I attended this year’s Jesse Owens Classic and found the track surface in sore need of replacement. There are several band aid repairs in sections and you can barely see the lanes and other markings. I’m sure it still is in better condition than WN, but if the state meets were held at JO this year, IMO, this site would’ve been full of criticisms about the condition of a D1 Track. Of all the OSU meets I attended this year, JO was by far in the worst condition as compared to Maryland, North Florida, Indiana, Illinois, and Prairie View A & M.

Going forward if the state meets are not at JO, I agree that B-W would be a great choice. Yes, there is a parking shortage adjacent to the track, but there is plenty of parking available at the Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds a few blocks and a short shuttle ride away.

Welcome Stadium in Dayton is a great place to watch a meet, I'm not sure what you mean.

However, there was some shady business with Welcome Stadium a few years ago and OHSAA cut all ties with having events there. Which was a shame all around.

Jesse Owens, Welcome Stadium, and Spire are probably the only 3 facilities (that I am aware of) in Ohio that could host all 3 Divisions.

Jesse Owens seems to be off the table.
Welcome Stadium might still be off the table.
Spire is in too remote of a location.

But if we do the 3 Divisions separately, a large number of D1 HS Track stadiums throughout the State could host that meet.
Not true Dayton public schools went on probation and couldn’t host any extra events. Problem with Welcome stadium is there is no longer a discus area

If only there was some way schools had input on site selection.

like by electing members of like a board of directors who approve all the sites, something like that.

oh, that’s exactly what occurs? That’s how democracy works? the OHSAA isn’t just some dictatorship that everyone makes it out to be? Never would know from this site.

If only there was some way schools had input on site selection.

like by electing members of like a board of directors who approve all the sites, something like that.

oh, that’s exactly what occurs? That’s how democracy works? the OHSAA isn’t just some dictatorship that everyone makes it out to be? Never would know from this site.
Ah yes, because an elected official has never failed to do their job well before.

Ah yes, because an elected official has never failed to do their job well before.
Sure, and that’d be a fair criticism, but no one on here is saying “they did a poor job, let’s talk to our AD and make sure they vote them out at the next election.”

it’s just fist shaking at some mythic idea of the OHSAA that doesn’t exist in reality. You’ll keep getting the same problems unless the discussion on how to fix/change things is better.

Sure, and that’d be a fair criticism, but no one on here is saying “they did a poor job, let’s talk to our AD and make sure they vote them out at the next election.”

it’s just fist shaking at some mythic idea of the OHSAA that doesn’t exist in reality. You’ll keep getting the same problems unless the discussion on how to fix/change things is better.
It's just suggestions on where to have the state meet. If it's not at J.O. Then...? People are giving suggestions. The original criticism of the state meet was unwarranted, IMO. Thing could have been better, but considering last year and where we started in February, I think they did a pretty good job.

Had we done it at our school, I would have taken two hours and a couple cans of paint and had the exchange zones properly marked. Not the end of the world though. They did a great job of letting teams have camps and using the extra track and not losing their minds about things. It was nice not being yelled at by men in red all weekend. Crowd was good. Officials worked hard. Concessions and restrooms were good. Parking was fine. Felt like a state championship at Pickerington North. Official had sound system at the Shot, but they didn't at the Disc. Performance indicators would have been nice, but the live results are good enough. I just don't like staring at my phone all day. That's me and I'm sure I'm in the minority. It's not a complaint really.

Not sure which is worse, Westerville North's track facility or the state XC meet being held at the National Trail drag strip.
I think the flood year and the Christmas light year at national trail cemented that place as the worst of all time. Also, when you consider the need to secure a venue due to COVID concerns, the lack of schools being willing to host, and how many more options there are for CC courses vs. Track Stadiums, it’s NTR for sure.

My criticisms are confined to Dimwit Dewine, OHSAA, & the PUBLICLY-SPONSORED universities & colleges in Ohio who resulted in this year's configuration of the state meets. The high schools and their staffs that hosted each of the meets are to be commended for stepping up and into a difficult situation. Kudos to them.

I think the flood year and the Christmas light year at national trail cemented that place as the worst of all time. Also, when you consider the need to secure a venue due to COVID concerns, the lack of schools being willing to host, and how many more options there are for CC courses vs. Track Stadiums, it’s NTR for sure.
Seem to recall that OHSAA is not allowed to charge admission and use a state park? Wonder if gym Jordan (R) congressman could change that law. Considering his daughter was a XC state placer at Scioto Downs, he may be personally interested in that bill to pass. A state XC meet at Buck Creek State Park (Springfield) could be outstanding!

(I know...wishful thinking)

Last edited:
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but from 2011–17 (pre-flood year and Christmas light parking debacle), I thought NTR was a fine venue for the state XC meet. I liked the flat course (always nice to PR at the end of the season) and found it to be really spectator-friendly despite being a one-looper (also a good thing).

Seem to recall that OHSAA is not allowed to charge admission and use a state park? Wonder if gym Jordan (R) congressman could change that law. Considering his daughter was a XC state placer at Scioto Downs, he may be personally interested in that bill to pass. A state XC meet at Buck Creek State Park (Springfield) could be outstanding!

(I know...wishful thinking)
The Clark County Fairgrounds course would also be nice.

I know Pickerington North is being used for D2 this season. I have only been there once, several years ago. Have they kept up the middle school track that sits right beside the high school stadium? If so, this should be a major selling point in them hosting anything and everything possible if they meet the other necessities. Athletes having an entire track to warm up, cool down, stretch, practice hand-offs, and a number of other things should keep them at the top of the short list in my eyes. I assume this alleviates a lot of battles with officials. Can those who have competed there give their opinions.
Pickerington north was far from a desirable location to hold a state track meet in my opinion. They didn’t even have a proper podium. Such a shame for the Seniors who missed all their opportunities last year and had to end with this experience.

Move the D3 meet to Piqua, Troy or St Marys. Kids can compete at a first class facility. Screw trying to find a central location. Make it work!!!

PS - text from my daughter: the track is god awful. My son: the track is so bad, it’s ridiculous.

Thanks OHSAA. We are the red headed step child.
Piqua didn’t even have a podium for districts or regionals this year. Nice facility otherwise