DII R8 No. 7 Winton Woods (9-3) vs. No. 6 La Salle (7-5)

Who advances to R8 final?

• Total voters

MickeyMantle

These two teams are way different than they were in Week 2 and each easily took care of the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds in Round 2.

Go Lancers!

The Team that completes the most Passes will Win this one. I think that will be WW. LaSalle has no Passing game at all. Can’t really blame them either from the throws I saw last night.

The Team that completes the most Passes will Win this one. I think that will be WW. LaSalle has no Passing game at all. Can’t really blame them either from the throws I saw last night.
Earlier this year, La Salle was able to defeat Winton Woods by two scores despite completing only 5 passes to Winton Woods' 12.

Should be another good game. I have the upmost respect for Lasalle’s program. Very happy for my Warriors! Great job by Coach Murphy and his staff. Many left the Warriors for dead! (Many of are on supporters).
Go Warriors!

About as much as you believe that the Winton Woods will be able to pass through the defense just like the city’s best passer did last night ha ha
The Anderson QB played pretty well despite running for his life all night from 8 and 99 and a few others. As well as the defense played as a whole and the as well as the young DBs played, the difference between a team like La Salle and Anderson is right up front. The Raptors couldn't hang with La Salle in the trenches on either side.

Winton Woods' OL couldn't handle No. 8 Week 2. It's been a long time since then, though, so maybe they can in Week 13.

Earlier this year, La Salle was able to defeat Winton Woods by two scores despite completing only 5 passes to Winton Woods' 12.
It was 14 to 7 with about 3 minutes left in the 4th. Lasalle’s starting QB was injured and the backup scored on a 45? Yard TD. WW drove to the Lasalle side of the field. QB threw a pass (30 or so) yards to a WR in the end zone but Lasalle defended it well.

It was 14 to 7 with about 3 minutes left in the 4th. Lasalle’s starting QB was injured and the backup scored on a 45? Yard TD. WW drove to the Lasalle side of the field. QB threw a pass (30 or so) yards to a WR in the end zone but Lasalle defended it well.

No, it was 18-0 until WW scored with about 8 minutes left in the game. Cope, who is now the starter, came in on offense just to get some time at QB, and made a long run, then scored what would be the third LS TD called back by a sloppy holding penalty. The Lancers settled for another FG to go up 21-7 and then, I believe picked off the WW QB twice in the last few minutes.

La Salle did not officially score an offensive TD in this game. Again, there were three LS offensive TDs called back and the offense never got into a rhythm, which would become a theme most of the year with Mattingly. The La Salle defense played well in that one.

No, it was 18-0 until WW scored with about 8 minutes left in the game. Cope, who is now the starter, came in on offense just to get some time at QB, and made a long run, then scored what would be the third LS TD called back by a sloppy holding penalty. The Lancers settled for another FG to go up 21-7 and then, I believe picked off the WW QB twice in the last few minutes.

La Salle did not officially score an offensive TD in this game. Again, there were three LS offensive TDs called back and the offense never got into a rhythm, which would become a theme most of the year with Mattingly. The La Salle defense played well in that one.
Would you guys stop bringing up TD’s being called back. Do they count? No they don’t. Believe me WW has had had plenty of TD’s called back. But the WW’s Defense played very well that game and pretty much the entire season. So that in itself will keep the Warriors in the game. Lasalle is a much better team at this point but so is WW. Should be another good one.

Would you guys stop bringing up TD’s being called back. Do they count? No they don’t. Believe me WW has had had plenty of TD’s called back. But the WW’s Defense played very well that game and pretty much the entire season. So that in itself will keep the Warriors in the game. Lasalle is a much better team at this point but so is WW. Should be another good one.
Why? La Salle shot itself in the foot three times that game. It was an important aspect of that game as La Salle was unable to finish drives and really put a team away. I'm not sure why this bothers you so much.

Why? La Salle shot itself in the foot three times that game. It was an important aspect of that game as La Salle was unable to finish drives and really put a team away. I'm not sure why this bothers you so much.
If we're going to talk about important aspects then you can't forget too mention WW had no identity in week 2. The offensive coordinator believed we would throw the ball around a ton but has found that our offensive line is huge & likes to push guys around so he figured it out that we're a run team 1st. With tht being said this is the game to utilize the pass. I'm hearing Lasalle has a young secondary with a freshman & 2 sophomores getting lots of time. It is time to attack them with the athletes we have outside, I'm guess Lasalle will run zone blitzes and lots of zone to avoid having those young dbs having to cover for long periods. Lasalle is in a catch 22 this game.

I don’t know much outside of what I read on here until the Cincy areas teams play Massillon, but with rematches with close teams I always like who lost the regular season bout, Go Warriors

If we're going to talk about important aspects then you can't forget too mention WW had no identity in week 2. The offensive coordinator believed we would throw the ball around a ton but has found that our offensive line is huge & likes to push guys around so he figured it out that we're a run team 1st. With tht being said this is the game to utilize the pass. I'm hearing Lasalle has a young secondary with a freshman & 2 sophomores getting lots of time. It is time to attack them with the athletes we have outside, I'm guess Lasalle will run zone blitzes and lots of zone to avoid having those young dbs having to cover for long periods. Lasalle is in a catch 22 this game.

That's fair.

I'm not sure La Salle found an identity on offense until last week, although that has had a lot to do with grossly subpar Harrison and Anderson defenses. I think La Salle will have to pound WW all game with Grant and Hill, and I'm sure Cope is going to bust a few longer ones on the Warriors as well.

I actually think the young DBs will be fine. They're really good players. La Salle's defense now includes three sophomores, two juniors and a freshman.

Last edited:
That's fair.

I'm not sure La Salle found an identity on offense until last week, although that has had a lot to do with grossly subpar Harrison and Anderson defenses. I think La Salle will have to pound WW all game with Grant and Hill, and I'm sure Cope is going to bust a few longer ones on the Warriors as well.

I actually think the young DBs will be fine. They're really good players. La Salle's defense now includes three sophomores, two juniors and a freshman.
Should be a good 1 but that's the advantage of having upperclassmen on the field, don't get me wrong WW has some freshmen and sophomores capable of playing but again they have 26 seniors who probably understand the sense of urgency and are a lot more experienced, with tht being said I'm not saying those kids won't perform at a high level I just believe we have the match up advantage outside this game just like you guys had the match up advantage when we were trying to block jj w a sophomore tackle who was starting his 2nd game. Styles make fights and I think WWs offensive coordinator trying to implement the pass game early on comes back to help the warriors. It will be a fun game and good game for sure lots of friends & families on both sides which bodes well because the mutual respect both programs have for 1 another

Should be a good 1 but that's the advantage of having upperclassmen on the field, don't get me wrong WW has some freshmen and sophomores capable of playing but again they have 26 seniors who probably understand the sense of urgency and are a lot more experienced, with tht being said I'm not saying those kids won't perform at a high level I just believe we have the match up advantage outside this game just like you guys had the match up advantage when we were trying to block jj w a sophomore tackle who was starting his 2nd game. Styles make fights and I think WWs offensive coordinator trying to implement the pass game early on comes back to help the warriors. It will be a fun game and good game for sure lots of friends & families on both sides which bodes well because the mutual respect both programs have for 1 another
DC, you think Woods will handle JJ better this time? Don't know if you saw any of last night's game, but JJ is going to appear in that Anderson QB's nightmares for weeks.

DC, you think Woods will handle JJ better this time? Don't know if you saw any of last night's game, but JJ is going to appear in that Anderson QB's nightmares for weeks.
I don't have any idea lol he is an offensive coordinators nightmare ? I know both kids very well and I sd youngster got took to school 1st game and I didn't think it was a good idea to have him 1on1 out there lol I can believe he made last night a nightmare for Andersons quarterback jj has always been a freakish athlete

I think the WW D has got better every week since then. LaSalle use same QB against WW in 1st Game that they used last night? Hate to say this but that QB’ s arm last night was embarrassing for a HS starting QB imo.

Never said WW would pass a lot Mr. LaSalle dumb dumb
Obviously the guy doesn't understand football like that. WW has figured it out tht we're a run 1st team but because we started passing & continue to pass in practice it will help us this week vs a team who is playing young kids in the secondary. Lasalle can't prepare for WW the same way they did week 2 because they're playing younger kids. #2 Lawson had 1 of best games vs that secondary. Lasalle won't be able to pass vs WW secondary which will make them 1 dimensional but Lasalle knows how to run the ball play ball possession and will rotate those interior lineman to keep them fresh so they can double team those defensive tackles which wears them out. It is key for WW to win 1st down, if this kid struggles passing like I'm reading WW will load the box on 1st downs to force Lasalle to play behind the chains. That would be my gameplan

I think the WW D has got better every week since then. LaSalle use same QB against WW in 1st Game that they used last night? Hate to say this but that QB’ s arm last night was embarrassing for a HS starting QB imo.

Mattingly started against Winton Woods.

This game basically comes down to which team can stop the run, I see both squads putting 8 in the box and daring the other team to throw. I give Winton Woods the slight advantage in this contest, strictly because this is a revenge game.

Well I got to admit I was one of the ones that was upset at the coaching in the beginning of the year. Glad we got that win back against Kings. La Salle will be tough like always. I wonder where this game will take place. Maybe Withrow or Fairfield?