Deion Sanders takes scathing shot at the Pro Football Hall of Fame: It's not the 'Hall of Fame' anymore

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Deion Sanders has been in the Pro Football Hall of Fame for more than a decade now, but apparently, he doesn't think being in the Hall of Fame isn't quite the honor it used to be.

During a lengthy rant about the Hall of Fame, Sanders insinuated that it's now too easy for players to get in and that the Hall needs to think about separating the best Hall of Famers from other Hall of Famers by giving out a different color jacket (Each Hall of Famer gets a gold jacket the night before they're inducted).

I get what he is saying. Seems to be a number of solid, decent players getting in recently instead of actual stars of the game. But the idea of 22 players given special status is beyond silly. Which QB would get that coveted spot? Really going to have 5 offensive lineman? Barry Sanders or Jim Brown doesn't make the "special room"? Do they go with a TE and FB? How many WRs should be part of the 11 starters? Should players be demoted based on yearly votes? When Tom Brady goes in, does that mean the previous best QB now goes with the "others"?

They definitely inducted too many players each year. They’ve essentially run out of past greats and modern greats are by definition very rare. If they cut it down to two or three per year it would be a bigger honor.

And if they made a “Hall of Legends” or something for the truly great HOFers, they would have to do the same. But the temptation for a big event and the $ it draws spoils these things eventually.

I get what he is saying. Seems to be a number of solid, decent players getting in recently instead of actual stars of the game. But the idea of 22 players given special status is beyond silly. Which QB would get that coveted spot? Really going to have 5 offensive lineman? Barry Sanders or Jim Brown doesn't make the "special room"? Do they go with a TE and FB? How many WRs should be part of the 11 starters? Should players be demoted based on yearly votes? When Tom Brady goes in, does that mean the previous best QB now goes with the "others"?
I agree with Deion. Too many marginal players in the HOF. If you don‘t select any players in a given year that’s ok.

I never liked the idea that a minimum of 4 had to be included every year. The MLB with all its flaws got this one right over the NFL. If nobody gets the 75% in the MLB then nobody is inducted. Period. Its OK if borderline players aren't in the Hall. The player, teammates and fans will disagree but it's better overall for the sport to keep it selective.
Maybe there could be some type of designation, like a gold pin or something, to separate a 1st ballot HOFer from everybody else

Tony Boselli getting in was ridiculous.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …
I did a double take when I heard Boselli got in. He was drafted in 1995, played his final season in 2001. 6 seasons as a offensive lineman. My best memory of Boselli was in the 1995 draft, my Tennessee Titans were worried that the Jags would draft QB Steve McNair. Jacksonville instead opted for Boselli.

2 HOF’ers who had short careers:

Gayle Sayers
* 68 games, 65 starts
* 4,956 yards rushing
* 59 total td’s

Terrell Davis
* 78 games, 77 starts
* 7,607 yards rushing
* 65 total td’s
* Elway never wins those two Super Bowls without Davis. Davis was by far the best player on the team both seasons

I did a double take when I heard Boselli got in. He was drafted in 1995, played his final season in 2001. 6 seasons as a offensive lineman. My best memory of Boselli was in the 1995 draft, my Tennessee Titans were worried that the Jags would draft QB Steve McNair. Jacksonville instead opted for Boselli.
Boselli got in in part because he had vocal members of the media like Ross Tucker push for his induction.

It's funny. I somewhat agree with Sanders's assessment, however, I generally couldn't give a $h!+ about Deion's opinion(s).