Dayton D1 Tournament..... no one talking?

Just checking in after a while. 3 of 4 regional teams from GWOC with average 20 win margin. Wow! Not sure this has ever happened before. Wayne is good but as Vamp says might be up and down but with stud player. And 2 of the 3 Fairmont losses are to CVille so # 9 state ranking might be low. Go GWOC!

I’ve seen the Centerville-Wayne and Wayne-Fairmont regular season games. If Wayne and Fairmont are that much better than the Cincinnati teams, and Centerville is that much better than both of them, Centerville is going to cakewalk to the D1 title, and it won’t be particularly close.

I’ve seen the Centerville-Wayne and Wayne-Fairmont regular season games. If Wayne and Fairmont are that much better than the Cincinnati teams, and Centerville is that much better than both of them, Centerville is going to cakewalk to the D1 title, and it won’t be particularly close.
Wayne beat Turpin, are we not going to acknowledge that? Everyone has said they were a marginally good team, playing in a bad league. They just barely squeaked into top 10 Cincinnati talks all year. They overachieved against Elder as much as Elder seriously underachieving. They were still just plain old Turpin at the end of the day. Best thing to happen for Wayne was Elder choking. That game today had Wayne as the favorite, if not close to a push. Kudos to them on the win, but can we try to keep it in perspective?

Fairmont on the other hand is a very impressive win in my opinion. Not that they couldn't win, but how handily they did it. That deserves some true praise.

Centerville, well, do we even need to discuss that? Lol

Last edited:
Wayne beat Turpin, are we not going to acknowledge that? Everyone has said they were a marginally good team, playing in a bad league. They just barely squeaked into top 10 Cincinnati talks all year. They overachieved against Elder as much as Elder seriously underachieving. They were still just plain old Turpin at the end of the day. Best thing to happen for Wayne was Elder choking. That game today had Wayne as the favorite, if not close to a push. Kudos to them on the win, but can we try to keep it in perspective?

Fairmont on the other hand is a very impressive win in my opinion. Not that they couldn't win, but how handily they did it. That deserves some true praise.

No, Wayne still wasn’t that impressive to me. Fairfield did beat them by 1 in the regular season, and I do feel like Fairfield is better. What Fairfield team shows up game-to-game, we’ll never know. Fairfield and Pickerington Central are the only two teams that matchup with Centerville athletically, but Centerville is just a machine. Gabe Cupps is awesome, and could be Indiana’s savior. How was Rich Rolf not more coveted?

So you play the bracket in front of you. Lose and you're out and win you survive. Elder didn't play to their seed quite early, so probably might not have lasted much longer anyway. Wayne beat who they played so they advance. Pretty simple.

Kudos to the Fairmony coaching staff. Monumental achievement. Fairmont has been playing since the tournament started in 1929. 2022 district championship is the 2nd in school history, the 1st coming just 74 years ago. When you see the team size first hand it's just remarkable its record, given its schedule, is what it is.. Somebody is doing some 1st rate coaching..

So you play the bracket in front of you. Lose and you're out and win you survive. Elder didn't play to their seed quite early, so probably might not have lasted much longer anyway. Wayne beat who they played so they advance. Pretty simple.
Did I say anything different?

Didn’t expect 3 out of the 4 teams in regionals to be gwoc and no gcl teams. Wayne may be the oddest team around there are times they look awful then times they look like they can play with anyone. Outside of the obvious Elks Fairmont has probably been the most consistent team in Dayton area all season I don’t think they beat the Elks this time either but what a season for them. Wayne vs Fairfield should be a interesting one game could go either way somewhat rooting for Fairfield since they have a former Springfield kid but should be a good one

Have heard some rumors of CJs Johnathan Powell and Tecumseh's Colin O'Connor transferring to Centerville for the 2023 school year. Is this just talk or has anyone else heard some fiction to these rumors? The Johnathan Powell wouldn't surprised me as CJ has nothing coming back. Even if they bring just him in they will be the favorites to repeat for the 3rd straight year if they get the title this year.

Have heard some rumors of CJs Johnathan Powell and Tecumseh's Colin O'Connor transferring to Centerville for the 2023 school year. Is this just talk or has anyone else heard some fiction to these rumors? The Johnathan Powell wouldn't surprised me as CJ has nothing coming back. Even if they bring just him in they will be the favorites to repeat for the 3rd straight year if they get the title this year.
Tecumseh should return a lot, but I don't think I'd really be surprised. That kid's dad is a former D1 college assistant and has a ton of local connections through camps and skills coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if he took his kid somewhere else for his last year if he thought it would be beneficial in regards to college recruiting and preparedness.

I thought about this a while back. Powell to Centerville to me makes sense, he lives in Centerville(I think???), O’Connor there????

Last edited:
Didn’t expect 3 out of the 4 teams in regionals to be gwoc and no gcl teams. Wayne may be the oddest team around there are times they look awful then times they look like they can play with anyone. Outside of the obvious Elks Fairmont has probably been the most consistent team in Dayton area all season I don’t think they beat the Elks this time either but what a season for them. Wayne vs Fairfield should be a interesting one game could go either way somewhat rooting for Fairfield since they have a former Springfield kid but should be a good one

Shame
Shame
Shame

Turpin beat Elder twice and won @ Walnut Hills by 21. They were plenty worthy of being in the District Final. Wayne did play Elder early in the season and were winning that game by 13 midway in the 3rd before completely falling apart. This is something that has plagued Wayne this season. An Elder 18-7 4th quarter got them a win as Wayne could not rebound from the collapse. I'm sure Wayne was confident playing whoever in the District Final.

Wayne is a team that during a given game can look like world beaters and at other times looks like a team that could not beat Oak Hills. Wayne did beat Fairmont this year and game they were up by double digits at one point and also gave Centerville one of their closest games of the season before dropping that game by 7, a game that Wayne went 4 for 20 from beyond the arc.

Watching games during the regular season the one team in the games I watched that looked the best from the Queen city was Fairfield. They look like a better version of Wayne. Wayne did lose by 1 at Fairfield during the season a game that Wayne did not come out and play until the 2nd half. Trailing by 15 Wayne came all the way back but Fairfield was clutch at the charity stripe hitting I believe 10 straight....... Wayne will have to play to their potential to have a chance in this game otherwise Fairfield will win by 10+.

I was not sold on Sycamore as I stated earlier so the Fairmont win was not surprising to me. Now the final margin of victory was.

Just checking in after a while. 3 of 4 regional teams from GWOC with average 20 win margin. Wow! Not sure this has ever happened before. Wayne is good but as Vamp says might be up and down but with stud player. And 2 of the 3 Fairmont losses are to CVille so # 9 state ranking might be low. Go GWOC!

When Wayne won state the GWOC had 3 teams in regions. Wayne, Springfield, and Centerville. I'm guessing that was 2015? When Trotwood was D1 we might of had 3 teams in regions prior to that as well. Not sure. I do remember a Wayne/Trotwood overtime game in regions a while back and there may have been another GWOC team as well.

When Wayne won state the GWOC had 3 teams in regions. Wayne, Springfield, and Centerville. I'm guessing that was 2015? When Trotwood was D1 we might of had 3 teams in regions prior to that as well. Not sure. I do remember a Wayne/Trotwood overtime game in regions a while back and there may have been another GWOC team as well.
Back when southwest Ohio had 5 districts with 1 district going to Columbus, there were 3 GWOC teams at the regional level in 2002 and 4 total from Dayton with 3 in Southwest Ohio and 1 in the Columbus region. Dayton Colonel White, Springfield South, Vandalia Butler (they were in the GWOC then), and Centerville.

Speaking of good teams, those Springfield South teams from the early 2000s were a regular in the regional, but they never managed to win the region and make it to state. They were very good.

Noticed in a Cincinnati Enquire article; said Cupps went out in the 3rd Q with an ankle injury but came back to play in the 4th. Could this be a problem for the ELKS if Cupps isn't 100%?

"Indiana University commit Gabe Cupps, the Southwest District Division I player of the year, finished with 17. The standout junior scored seven points in the first quarter, then left the game in the third quarter with an ankle injury. He returned to pour in 10 more points to go with four rebounds and four assists.

"Gabe Cupps, when you have a point guard who plays that hard on both ends of the floor — he's just incredible. One of the best I've ever coached against," Leon said." - Cincinnati Enquire 3/7/2022

I'm serious that I think Cupps can take Indiana all the way. I think he's going to be a better version of Kyle Guy, who was the leading scorer on a national championship winning team.

Noticed in a Cincinnati Enquire article; said Cupps went out in the 3rd Q with an ankle injury but came back to play in the 4th. Could this be a problem for the ELKS if Cupps isn't 100%?

"Indiana University commit Gabe Cupps, the Southwest District Division I player of the year, finished with 17. The standout junior scored seven points in the first quarter, then left the game in the third quarter with an ankle injury. He returned to pour in 10 more points to go with four rebounds and four assists.

"Gabe Cupps, when you have a point guard who plays that hard on both ends of the floor — he's just incredible. One of the best I've ever coached against," Leon said." - Cincinnati Enquire 3/7/2022

No, Centerville could still win it all without Cupps. They key guy for the ELKS in my opinion is House.

No, Centerville could still win it all without Cupps. They key guy for the ELKS in my opinion is House.
It’s any of the big 3. Rolf is one of the best shooters I’ve seen at the high school level, and at 6-7, he can get it off whenever he wants.

House is key do to the volume of 3s he attempts and makes. But without your point guard who shoots 45% on 3s and 84% FTs along with 6+ Assist/TO ratio would hurt a lot I would think.

Does anyone else think UC is a terrible place to host tourney games? Basketball or football.
Parking is terrible. No HC parking close 500 yard walk from Parking garages.
I'm guessing 4,000 people there and only 1/2 concessions are open.
Maybe i am spoiled from old Millet, UD & Cintas Centers parking set ups
By the way I really liked inside of UCs arena!! Nice!

Does anyone else think UC is a terrible place to host tourney games? Basketball or football.
Parking is terrible. No HC parking close 500 yard walk from Parking garages.
I'm guessing 4,000 people there and only 1/2 concessions are open.
Maybe i am spoiled from old Millet, UD & Cintas Centers parking set ups
By the way I really liked inside of UCs arena!! Nice!
My ranking from the last 10 years of playoffs is

Cintas
UD
UC
Wright St

And there is a pretty big divide between UD and UC.

Powell's gone! He'll develop his weak hand at Cville. He was exposed against Woodward.

My ranking from the last 10 years of playoffs is

Cintas
UD
UC
Wright St

And there is a pretty big divide between UD and UC.
I like UD the best. Pretty convenient location off I-75, plenty of easy parking, stands right on top of the court. Cintas is really nice as well. I like Cincinnati since they renovated it. I was not a fan of Miami-OH Millet Hall back in the day. I've still never been to Wright State.

I like UD the best. Pretty convenient location off I-75, plenty of easy parking, stands right on top of the court. Cintas is really nice as well. I like Cincinnati since they renovated it. I was not a fan of Miami-OH Millet Hall back in the day. I've still never been to Wright State.
I detest Wright State's Nutter Center with a reasonable passion. Seats are too small and rows are not far enough apart. The person who sits in front of you has their head between your knees. It is just not very well designed for fans' comfort. Admittedly, I am bigger than most humans, but I hear the same from smaller units as well. I will admit that I am not a huge fan of the changes at UD, where you have to walk back into the concession area to get around to the mid court seating. Used to be that you could walk all the way around the arena between the lower and upper decks. But those big red lounge seats are comfy.