D7 R25 2023

Kennedy is pretty good. Just beat Lowellville tonight by a point. The Rockets should face Dalton in the 3rd round.

Entertaining game. JFK doubled them up in the 1st quarter 28-14 before Lowellville mounted a big comeback to go up about 5-7 in the 4th only for JFK to come out on top with big plays down the stretch. Nice tournament preview for both teams and much needed challenge for Lowellville after facing a soft schedule.

Entertaining game. JFK doubled them up in the 1st quarter 28-14 before Lowellville mounted a big comeback to go up about 5-7 in the 4th only for JFK to come out on top with big plays down the stretch. Nice tournament preview for both teams and much needed challenge for Lowellville after facing a soft schedule.
Did Lowellville complain about the weather?

Sorry to hear about your coach, btw.
Thanks buddy. Its a shame of what has been built in 9 years has been destroyed in 1 week. Disheartening to say the least. Kennedy needs to do some soul searching and some people need to take a good look in the mirror.

Thanks buddy. Its a shame of what has been built in 9 years has been destroyed in 1 week. Disheartening to say the least. Kennedy needs to do some soul searching and some people need to take a good look in the mirror.
Find the best replacement possible and light a fire under those players. Kennedy won't be down long. šŸ‘Š

Any R25 basketball teams going to make a nice run? Including our brothers from Dalton?
Things could heat up nicely on this thread for some bball talk! Dalton/Lowellville district semis, Winner of that game against JFK District finals, and if Lucas can beat Colonel Crawford we could get a Dalton/Lowellville/JFK v. Lucas regional semi final! Could be really fun!

Things could heat up nicely on this thread for some bball talk! Dalton/Lowellville district semis, Winner of that game against JFK District finals, and if Lucas can beat Colonel Crawford we could get a Dalton/Lowellville/JFK v. Lucas regional semi final! Could be really fun!
Lucas played a tight game with Crawford a month ago. But Crawford has the experience in the tournament over the current team. Could be exciting.

And given the monster that will be on the other side of the regionals, that regional semi-final might as well be treated as a state championship for the teams involved.

Could be fun, indeed!!!

Since this thread is ours, officially, and it has everything....couple questions for everyone....

How do you feel about a highly seeded basketball team playing a sectional semi-final (instead of taking the bye) and beating a team something like 52-4?

In doing so, they feed their top scorer to the tune of 23 points so that player can break the all-time scoring record at their school....is this ok? Should they have more dignity than this? Doesn't it feel like the record is tainted, and wouldn't that player want to "earn it"?

Since this thread is ours, officially, and it has everything....couple questions for everyone....

How do you feel about a highly seeded basketball team playing a sectional semi-final (instead of taking the bye) and beating a team something like 52-4?

In doing so, they feed their top scorer to the tune of 23 points so that player can break the all-time scoring record at their school....is this ok? Should they have more dignity than this? Doesn't it feel like the record is tainted, and wouldn't that player want to "earn it"?
Anyone who keeps track of sectional championships in basketball like West Branch or Jackson Milton should be laughed at. Which they do folks.

But to your point, always play the game and stay sharp. The kid who breaks the record probably has garbage points elsewhere throughout his career, so itā€™s hard to say. You would rather it be in a meaningful game, but I get it. There may be some parent dynamic in that too.

Anyone who keeps track of sectional championships in basketball like West Branch or Jackson Milton should be laughed at. Which they do folks.

But to your point, always play the game and stay sharp. The kid who breaks the record probably has garbage points elsewhere throughout his career, so itā€™s hard to say. You would rather it be in a meaningful game, but I get it. There may be some parent dynamic in that too.
It's just so weak IMO

I honestly do not care whether schools celebrate sectional championships or if they take the game. Let people celebrate what they want and coaches make decisions they feel is best for their team. I can see from the POV of the coach to play that game to work on things, stay in the rhythm, and an added bonus of breaking a record in a game that you are guaranteed to win and not have it as a distraction in tougher games.

I'm fine with choosing to play, but showing up another school is always a bad look.

Depends on the situation, sometimes if youā€™re a team that hasnā€™t been playing up to your potential and start gelling, you want to keep playing and not sit (especially younger teams). If youā€™re more battle tested, you take the bye. The result of the game is what it is

My school and its league has one of the smallest student populations statewide. On the girlsā€™ side, for the district tournament, we have that weird 17-team bracket (2^4 +1.)

The #1 seed (our rival) is one of the two undefeated teams statewide in D4 for girlsā€™. They only have eleven girls total across the four grades in their program. For various reasons (combination of their low numbers, the even lower numbers of other league schools; and the fact their varsity is heavily-senior laden) theyā€™ve had minimal opportunities to get the reserves their playing time fill. They took the infamous ā€œearliest stage possibleā€ line (the +1), and made the most of getting girls in for that game as well as the two games between that one and the district semi-finals stage.

All this to say, I donā€™t really see it as a ā€œtaintā€ or anything. D4 has become pretty difficult for the haveā€™s to offer the most opportunities possible for their kids.

(I will also say they drilled a not-terrible league opponent 84-7 earlier this season in a game where their best player racked 52 points.)

Last edited:

Say it louder for the folks in the back! People can do what they want but I canā€™t wrap my head around making a big deal out of winning 2 or 1 (if you take a bye) playoff games

My school and its league has one of the smallest student populations statewide. On the girlsā€™ side, for the district tournament, we have that weird 17-team bracket (2^4 +1.)

The #1 seed (our rival) is one of the two undefeated teams statewide in D4 for girlsā€™. They only have eleven girls total across the four grades in their program. For various reasons (combination of their low numbers, the even lower numbers of other league schools; and the fact their varsity is heavily-senior laden) theyā€™ve had minimal opportunities to get the reserves their playing time fill. They took the infamous ā€œearliest stage possibleā€ line (the +1), and made the most of getting girls in for that game as well as the two games between that one and the district semi-finals stage.

All this to say, I donā€™t really see it as a ā€œtaintā€ or anything. D4 has become pretty difficult for the haveā€™s to offer the most opportunities possible for their kids.

(I will also say they drilled a not-terrible league opponent 84-7 earlier this season in a game where their best player racked 52 points.)
My point is, in games like that, there is no reason your best player should be on the court long enough to score 52 points. Kinda kills the argument of getting reserves playing time when you have a stat line like that.

Also - 80+ points in a girls game tells me there had the foot on the gas the whole time and played man to man defense instead of just packing in a zone on defense which would create less turnovers for the opponent (and run clock).

Also - 80+ points in a girls game tells me there had the foot on the gas the whole time and played man to man defense instead of just packing in a zone on defense which would create less turnovers for the opponent (and run clock).
The solution to not getting beat by 77 points in girlsā€™ basketball can be, either,

a) get better, quick;

b) talk to the opposing coach in advance, before the season, in the eyes, and say ā€œhey Iā€™m not sure [WINK, WINK] if we can play you guys that day. [WINK, WINK] Maybe you guys would be better suited getting someone else to replace us.ā€

And if you think ā€˜bā€™ is absurd, stop to consider that the majority of small school coaches who have really good, high-ceiling teams would love to shed games that arenā€™t making their teams better.

The solution to not getting beat by 77 points in girlsā€™ basketball can be, either,

a) get better, quick;

b) talk to the opposing coach in advance, before the season, in the eyes, and say ā€œhey Iā€™m not sure [WINK, WINK] if we can play you guys that day. [WINK, WINK] Maybe you guys would be better suited getting someone else to replace us.ā€

And if you think ā€˜bā€™ is absurd, stop to consider that the majority of small school coaches who have really good, high-ceiling teams would love to shed games that arenā€™t making their teams better.
Then why do these coaches routinely play 1st round tournament games instead of taking the bye?

I was alluding to the regular season, not the tournament.
I know that....but the same coach that would switch games like you said during the regular season, looking for better opponents, still takes a first round playoff game rather than take the bye that is available - which makes no sense....thats the point I was making..