D3 Region 11 Championship. Who wins? #5 Bloom Carroll vs #3 Bishop Watterson

Who wins?

• #5 Bloom Carroll

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • #3 Bishop Watterson

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters

In the past, I would say Bloom-Carroll would have a daunting task at hand but Bloom plays great defense by stopping the run and creating turnovers and on offense they use that big Oline to just pound and wear you down with their running game. They will still throw on you when needed and they haven't needed to thrown a lot when because the haven't played in a lot of pressure situations most of the year. Watterson will need to control the clock when necessary and be accurate passing. Watterson too has a good defense as well. I like the fact that Bloom-Carroll is trying for their third straight State Semi-Final appearance, this time in D3, have been there and done that before. I predict a low scoring game with BC winning 20-14. Either way this should be a great matchup.

In the past, I would say Bloom-Carroll would have a daunting task at hand but Bloom plays great defense by stopping the run and creating turnovers and on offense they use that big Oline to just pound and wear you down with their running game. They will still throw on you when needed and they haven't needed to thrown a lot when because the haven't played in a lot of pressure situations most of the year. Watterson will need to control the clock when necessary and be accurate passing. Watterson too has a good defense as well. I like the fact that Bloom-Carroll is trying for their third straight State Semi-Final appearance, this time in D3, have been there and done that before. I predict a low scoring game with BC winning 20-14. Either way this should be a great matchup.
Good post

With the both D3 central district offensive and defensive players of the year Bloom Carroll is guaranteed a win. Watterson’s best defensive player is one of the interception leaders in the country but that doesn’t cut it. You need real grit to be DPOY….that will be on display in this game and bring home a win for this group of local boys that have been together since preschool.

Yep. That’s right. Small town country school vs big city Catholic. Everyone on the BC team knows where this guy lives!
1668391777039.jpeg

Does BC throw? Lots of team have tried to run on Watterson all year. All 3 playoff games had big lines who ran 85% of the time. They got gains but Watty figured them all out. Jackson could barely move the ball in the second half on the ground. Best plan was Tiffin who mixed good passing and running . Watty struggled more when they didt knwo what was coming I thought.

I am excited to see this game. Watty has been able to get by first three playoff games with just pounding the rock but don't forget Watterson was a pass heavy team the last 5 weeks of regularly season.

Does BC throw? Lots of team have tried to run on Watterson all year. All 3 playoff games had big lines who ran 85% of the time. They got gains but Watty figured them all out. Jackson could barely move the ball in the second half on the ground. Best plan was Tiffin who mixed good passing and running . Watty struggled more when they didt knwo what was coming I thought.

I am excited to see this game. Watty has been able to get by first three playoff games with just pounding the rock but don't forget Watterson was a pass heavy team the last 5 weeks of regularly season.
They don’t throw that well.

The BC Oline is huge. It’s been grind till you wear em out. I suspect a better mix of pass/run vs. Watterson. BC outcoached Sheridan and Tri-Valley but the players will strap it up and decide this game. Will be a great one.

The BC Oline is huge. It’s been grind till you wear em out. I suspect a better mix of pass/run vs. Watterson. BC outcoached Sheridan and Tri-Valley but the players will strap it up and decide this game. Will be a great one.
Except for Tiffin Columbian, this is all Watterson has seen in competitive games. DeSales, Hartley, London, Jackson all ran 85% plus percent with huge lines. It does well in the first half then Watty adjusts and shuts down.

They have avg 6 pass attempts per game in 3 playoff games. Better dust off the pass play book.

Except for Tiffin Columbian, this is all Watterson has seen in competitive games. DeSales, Hartley, London, Jackson all ran 85% plus percent with huge lines. It does well in the first half then Watty adjusts and shuts down.
They have avg 6 pass attempts per game in 3 playoff games. Better dust off the pass play book.
Stats are great. I believe the ones that will matter 1st -4th quarter are 6’4 265, 6’4 280, 5’10 270, 6’10 305, and 6’ 330. Best power running line ever at BC.

Stats are great. I believe the ones that will matter 1st -4th quarter are 6’4 265, 6’4 280, 5’10 270, 6’10 305, and 6’ 330. Best power running line ever at BC.
Interesting -- should be a good match up. Huge line- no doubt but Harvest prep handled with one 300 lb. DT and a couple 195 lb. DE's. I'm going to guess they flew to the ball with very athletic back 7. Well, Watty has a 6'7 315 lb. DT and our back 7 were ALLL somewhere on the all district list. BC might move ball, but you aren't going to dominate Watterson Def.

Interesting -- should be a good match up. Huge line- no doubt but Harvest prep handled with one 300 lb. DT and a couple 195 lb. DE's. I'm going to guess they flew to the ball with very athletic back 7. Well, Watty has a 6'7 315 lb. DT and our back 7 were ALLL somewhere on the all district list. BC might move ball, but you aren't going to dominate Watterson Def.
Both teams stacked with talent and size. Both will give it all to be regional champs. Can’t wait. Even bringing family friend Joe Hill Watty’63 if he can stand the cold.

I’ve seen the last two BC games. Those two teams could not quite overcome the huge size advantage BC had. But BC defense can be run on. I think Watterson takes this one. …….I don’t know what that one poster meant by “out coached”? Turnovers, turnovers were the biggest difference for BC. If Watterson doesn’t turn it over they win . However. I am rooting for BC.

What games we the competitive ones all year? The surprising thing about BC is they lose their coach and seem to have gotten better it appears. My prediction is BC 21-10.

I’ve seen both teams live. You have to be balanced offensively to beat watterson. Granville gave the blue print on how to win the game. Just lost on Hail Mary and 2pt conversion. What they did vs Jackson run game shows they can battle in the trenches. If BC can complete more than 10 passes they will win. Not sure they can and so I think Watterson pulls out the win.

I’ve seen both teams live. You have to be balanced offensively to beat watterson. Granville gave the blue print on how to win the game. Just lost on Hail Mary and 2pt conversion. What they did vs Jackson run game shows they can battle in the trenches. If BC can complete more than 10 passes they will win. Not sure they can and so I think Watterson pulls out the win.
I partially disagree. Granville ran to set up pass. Watty changed def after that week as they have seen a stream of huge running teams doing the same thing. Running has not worked since the change. Tiffin threw to open up the run. Much more effective. Granville threw WR screens and short crossing routes. tiffin threw ball deep keeping safeties back and on toes. If BC is just going to pound, pound pound, it better be perfect.

The other side of the equation is Watterson offense. No more rotation at QB. #7 has the job from start to finish and he can really throw the ball. we haven't needed to in playoffs but its there. New look with new running back and different style of runs.

DeSales, Hartley, London, Jackson and add Granville but read previous text.
Watty’s seen ‘more’ on both sides of the ball throughout their season than BC has. Creates for more workshopping and a good glimpse into what does/doesn’t work. BC’s last two games have been more challenging for them than weeks 4-11 were, so the best way to look at that is they’ve scaled up well and have continued to do what they do best.

Watty can pose some different challenges for BC (BW’s nose is a good DL for high school football) and if this game gets into situations where BC has to pass then Watty is capable of snagging a win. This will be a damn good game regardless.

What games we the competitive ones all year? The surprising thing about BC is they lose their coach and seem to have gotten better it appears. My prediction is BC 21-10.
Disagree with your comment — simply because comparing the two coaches doesn’t make sense. They’re both solid.

Disagree with your comment — simply because comparing the two coaches doesn’t make sense. They’re both solid.
Wasn’t a knock, just an observation. First year coach, schools first year in D3 and they have been impressive. Maybe it speaks more on the quality of community/players along with strong coaching.

Wasn’t a knock, just an observation. First year coach, schools first year in D3 and they have been impressive. Maybe it speaks more on the quality of community/players along with strong coaching.
To your point: BC’s been fertile ground for a minute.

The way I see it, there are parallels between Bart/McKinney and Hatem/Crabtree. All four of those guys are really solid coaches — both situations are/were transitions that were generally smooth. Neither program fell off after the former coach went on to bigger and better things: the successor also made big things happen in their first head coaching job.

It’s not often that you see small(-ish) schools have these stretches where success is sustained after the guy who started it takes a new job. I can’t think of any others in Fairfield County. Elsewhere in the Central District? NC. A little farther out, Tri-Valley perhaps and Sheridan. Just isn’t something you see too often.

Hey The Dock, I wonder if the BC Faithful are aware of The Ghost of The Karl Rd Alumni Stadium.
Great facility but it does have Funky Lighting. Lots Going On. Gonna Be a DonnyBrook.

Last edited:
I'll take Cooke Rd in this one. I picked them early to win both the CCL and this Region.

Several reasons why , Schedule, Who they have beaten and those Coaching Staffs, Tradition and History of being there before, And the fact this is almost a home game for them. They are comfortable with the landscape and field.