D3 Dayton Tournament

It's odd. I'm not sure how it was arrived at with them being chosen to be moved, but over the last maybe five years the Dayton draw has added a handful of teams from north of I-70 that have dropped from D2. D3 seems to have a lot of moving parts now at the upper and lower ends of the enrollment spectrum, almost all of which are schools north of I-70.

Madison, Carlisle, Waynesville, and maybe even Dixie are all schools that it would make more sense to me to have go to Cincinnati than Greeneview.
Madison had to play out of the Cincinnati sectional the last two years at D3. Traveling to Western Brown for a sectional game was no fun at all.

Looking through stats and such, I saw the Smith kid from Carlisle did not play in their last game. Hope all is well and nothing major. Anyone have information on him?

Looks like a tough couple of districts that will play out for a chance to play for a district title!
Two starters sat out against TVS. Both were dealing with minor ankle injuries and wanted to heal up.

Update on Versailles....they won the last five games on their schedule including beating Russia, Anna, Indian Lake and Marion Local. Two years ago #9 seed Versailles beat #2 seed Preble Shawnee in the district semis. Likely this year #7 Versailles plays #2 Preble Shawnee in a district semi. Upset alert?

Update on Versailles....they won the last five games on their schedule including beating Russia, Anna, Indian Lake and Marion Local. Two years ago #9 seed Versailles beat #2 seed Preble Shawnee in the district semis. Likely this year #7 Versailles plays #2 Preble Shawnee in a district semi. Upset alert?
Still can't believe they could manage no better than a 9 seed. Bias against the MAC?
Does not matter though as they made their statement with not avoiding the 2 seed. They may not pull the upset off, but that should be a very close game, and I expect if the officials let them play it will be a long night for PS.

Very interesting move by Carlisle, probably figured East has two guards and the Indians size could benefit them. Their bracket got even harder when Indian Lake jumped on them and Anna followed suit. Toughest draw for a top seed.
Not necessarily expected, but also not a surprising result for Carlisle last night. Indian Lake's coach looks like a genius today.

Any thoughts on the games tonight at Vandalia Butler?

Anna vs Indian Lake
Dayton Stivers vs Miami East
Anna beat Indian Lake by 15 earlier this season, Nicol had 36 and Tuttle 8. Those are their guys so if they both play well IL will win. If one has an off night, they lose.

ME beat Northridge twice this year, once by 20+, and Northridge beat Stivers by 14. East rolls.

Since Miami East and Indian Lake won last night, are they considered Sectional Champs? Northwest Districts claim after the second round as their Sectional winners? A little confused here......

Since Miami East and Indian Lake won last night, are they considered Sectional Champs? Northwest Districts claim after the second round as their Sectional winners? A little confused here......

Yes, since they are now in the District they technically are Sectional Champs lol.......but I will tell you that in NW Ohio, the only teams that would ever claim to be "Sectional Champs" are teams that very rarely ever win a tourney game (or especially 2). Heck, they will cut down the nets if your team wants to.....but a lot of the teams that regularly are the more competitive teams won't even acknowledge that they are sectional champs....and certainly don't cut down the nets :)

I think if you searched 10 SWOH athletic department twitter accounts you would see five calling the game before district final the sectional final and five calling the second game of the tournament the sectional final.

I think officially the SWDAB calls the second game the sectional final and the next game the district semi.

I think if you searched 10 SWOH athletic department twitter accounts you would see five calling the game before district final the sectional final and five calling the second game of the tournament the sectional final.

I think officially the SWDAB calls the second game the sectional final and the next game the district semi.
I concur on that, meaning some schools (ie Miami Valley D4) made it to the sectional finals by taking the first round bye. Personally, I like to keep it to just one district game and three sectional games.

I guess I would consider the District Semi=Sectional Final.

You win your sectional; you’re in the district finals
You win your district; you’re in the regional semis

Whenever you move gyms is the deciding factor.

I guess I would consider the District Semi=Sectional Final.

You win your sectional; you’re in the district finals
You win your district; you’re in the regional semis

Whenever you move gyms is the deciding factor.
I agree, have always done the same!

SW district I'll have a hard time ever considering it a "district semifinal" when you're still playing an opponent from your sectional tournament draw.

It's not really the "district" until you're playing an opponent from a different sectional.

Looks like Shawnee caught a break last night. Madeira lost in the cincy bracket. If they can get past versailles they could have a nice tourney.

Anna beat Indian Lake by 15 earlier this season, Nicol had 36 and Tuttle 8. Those are their guys so if they both play well IL will win. If one has an off night, they lose.

ME beat Northridge twice this year, once by 20+, and Northridge beat Stivers by 14. East rolls.
That really means nothing but yes they will and did roll Stivers, ME also beat Meadowdale by 30 and Meadowdale beat Dunbar, and Dunbar is the #2 seed in the sectional for D2 and ME would not beat Dunbar. So....

That really means nothing but yes they will and did roll Stivers, ME also beat Meadowdale by 30 and Meadowdale beat Dunbar, and Dunbar is the #2 seed in the sectional for D2 and ME would not beat Dunbar. So....
One win could be a fluke, two wins (one by 20+) gives you a good idea where the teams stand in relation to each other and how they would fair against a common opponent. No doubt upsets can happen, but East rolled as expected.

FWIW, I agree with you that East would not beat Dunbar. If East beat Meadowdale twice and Meadowdale beat Dunbar, I would say it is safe to assume East could play with Dunbar.

Looking forward to games this week in D3. Greeneview v Tri-Village is very intriguing. The Rams have a core group of 5 or 6 all of whom are approaching their 90th career varsity games. They run the floor and defend consistently. If they shoot a decent percentage they are very difficult to beat. Tri-Village will need to limit turnovers to keep the Rams from getting up 60 shots in the game. They appear to be back to full health which is encouraging. Seven Hills has been playing very well though beating Preble Shawnee will be their toughest challenge so far IMO. The teams above them in both divisions of the MVC are out of tourney play so them advancing further would be a surprise to me. But they o rotate as many as 11 players and almost always 9 so there is that. Shrout is a legit D1 recruit, plays both ends of the floor and the Shawnee role players are solid. Mariemont is a real surprise to me and I have not seen them since very early in the season. Miami East is legit particularly when the the supporting cast contributes on the boards and the defensive end, which they do consistently. Enis and Roeth pack a one/two punch that presents matchup issues.
GONNA BE FUN STUFF!

One win could be a fluke, two wins (one by 20+) gives you a good idea where the teams stand in relation to each other and how they would fair against a common opponent. No doubt upsets can happen, but East rolled as expected.

FWIW, I agree with you that East would not beat Dunbar. If East beat Meadowdale twice and Meadowdale beat Dunbar, I would say it is safe to assume East could play with Dunbar.
Based on the Dunbar/Tipp game ME can definitely play with Dunbar, the question is can they match the Dunbar's intensity, Dunbar is not very talented but plays awfully hard a more talented team can beat Dunbar.

Based on the Dunbar/Tipp game ME can definitely play with Dunbar, the question is can they match the Dunbar's intensity, Dunbar is not very talented but plays awfully hard a more talented team can beat Dunbar.

Would agree with this statement. Saw Bishop Ready and Dunbar play in January. Intensity/Athleticism says that Dunbar should have run away with that one....but they really have no one to step up and score. A team that plays good team offense and has any kind of size at all should probably be able to get by them.

Agree, if Dunbar was skilled enough to finish around the rim they beat Tipp by 20+.

I
Would agree with this statement. Saw Bishop Ready and Dunbar play in January. Intensity/Athleticism says that Dunbar should have run away with that one....but they really have no one to step up and score. A team that plays good team offense and has any kind of size at all should probably be able to get by them.
believe they’re season comes to an end this weekend.

Two interesting games last night. Neither Preble Shawnee nor Seven Hills could find the hoop. So much in fact that Hills made only 9 baskets. Shawnee was very tough defensively and won going away 42-27 despite 17 turnovers ( they force 17 as well).
The second game saw about 7 ties and 13 lead changes as Miami East outscored Mariemont 20-11 in the 4th quarter to win by 53-49.
Shawnee now (22-3) will play East 24-2 Wednesday, March 8th at 8 p.m. at Trent Arena in Kettering. I would advise attending. It should be a very good macthup.

Before that head down to UD arena tonight. The 7:30 tilt in Div. 3, features Greenview against Tri-Village. Greeneview stands (21-4) and the Patriots are (20-5).

The early game is a D4 matchup between Jackson Center and Cincinnati College Prep.

Stop by and say hello. I will be across from the benches on press row. Rumor is I am built like and look like Santa.

Attachments

• WIN_20221224_13_00_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221224_13_00_39_Pro.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 15
Two interesting games last night. Neither Preble Shawnee nor Seven Hills could find the hoop. So much in fact that Hills made only 9 baskets. Shawnee was very tough defensively and won going away 42-27 despite 17 turnovers ( they force 17 as well).
The second game saw about 7 ties and 13 lead changes as Miami East outscored Mariemont 20-11 in the 4th quarter to win by 53-49.
Shawnee now (22-3) will play East 24-2 Wednesday, March 8th at 8 p.m. at Trent Arena in Kettering. I would advise attending. It should be a very good macthup.

Before that head down to UD arena tonight. The 7:30 tilt in Div. 3, features Greenview against Tri-Village. Greeneview stands (21-4) and the Patriots are (20-5).

The early game is a D4 matchup between Jackson Center and Cincinnati College Prep.

Stop by and say hello. I will be across from the benches on press row. Rumor is I am built like and look like Santa.
The D3 bracket has had some awefully sloppy games with poor shooting % this year.

Jackson center by 15
Greenview by 5

The D3 bracket has had some awefully sloppy games with poor shooting % this year.

Jackson center by 15
Greenview by 5
I have some thoughts on that. The bigger arenas, even Trent to some degree, are traditionally difficult places to shoot the basketball if you have not in that atmosphere often. That is particularly true when the upper areas behind the basket are empty. Depth perception is difficult even in those where the lights can be dimmed in those areas. I specifically watched in warmups last night and nearly every player on all 4 teams struggled even then, much less during the games. Although must note Mariemont shot over 60% from the field in their lost to Miami East last night.
Despite it all, the games have been great to watch