D3 113 semifinals

carpmentor

The Garaway coaches should be ashamed!! Their kid was brought to the mat in a normal mat return and to allow him to stay down is disgusting. One of the worst calls I have seen at state!!! Only way they could win

I haven’t seen it but know that it isn’t always the coaches call. If there is any suspected concussion symptoms at all the trainer/doctor/official can not let the wrestler continue and they can no longer do the double whistle to allow the other kid to get the win.

Im not sure if that was the case here but wanted to clarify just in case.

2 officials on the mat let that be called a slam?

Maybe I'm missing something...

I didn't see a trapped arm, I didn't see excessive force or lift....

It's on flo

Kid was actually hurt, got medically disqualified from tournament. Rules interpreter for OHSAA come down explains; Garaway coaches had option to default to 6th, or to win semi and default in finals. And they chose to default in finals. They should be disgusted. Ref made a bad call, and the coaches has the opportunity to make things right and chose otherwise. Horrendous. The kid comes over and hugs Cooper and says “I’m sorry it’s not my call”. Cannot believe it.

Kid was actually hurt, got medically disqualified from tournament. Rules interpreter for OHSAA come down explains; Garaway coaches had option to default to 6th, or to win semi and default in finals. And they chose to default in finals. They should be disgusted. Ref made a bad call, and the coaches has the opportunity to make things right and chose otherwise. Horrendous. The kid comes over and hugs Cooper and says “I’m sorry it’s not my call”. Cannot believe it.
i saw it first hand! the coaches had no business doing that, they should be ashamed, no wonder why they never have placers or champs

From what I've been told he was NOT medically disqualified from tournament and is infact planning on wrestling tomorrow. Concussion wasn't the concern. Issue was with shoulder/collarbone. Nothing broken or dislocated so he's good to go if he chooses. Again, this is only what I've been told so I actually hope I'm wrong. If I were him I would do what my coaches couldn't do and make the right call to not compete tomorrow anyways. Win or lose in the final, he's no champion, and the coaches are to blame.

Wow!!!!!! Just watched the match on flo!!! That mat return IMO happens in most matches!! Not going to get into what the coaches should’ve done I think that’s been established on here already. IMO the blame starts with the Ref no way is that mat return worthy of an illegal anything!!!

I just watched the match. I have no horses in this battle and it is an unbiased opinion. I thought that the call was justified. He was returned to the mat with force. I don't think it was on purpose. You can hear the scorers at table react in a manner that signifies he was returned pretty hard. The Garaway kid did look hurt.

I don't know anything about the external factors (Coaches telling him to stay down, trainer opinion, extent of injury, etc.)

I feel bad for the Miami East kid. Tough way to lose. Especially in the state Semifinals.

I just watched the match. I have no horses in this battle and it is an unbiased opinion. I thought that the call was justified. He was returned to the mat with force. I don't think it was on purpose. You can hear the scorers at table react in a manner that signifies he was returned pretty hard. The Garaway kid did look hurt.

I don't know anything about the external factors (Coaches telling him to stay down, trainer opinion, extent of injury, etc.)

I feel bad for the Miami East kid. Tough way to lose. Especially in the state Semifinals.
I'm like you, I have no ties to the programs and was curious what all the booing was about. After watching the video, this was my exact opinion. I get that we all hate to see an important match like this end in this way, but it was the right call.

The Garaway coaches should be ashamed!! Their kid was brought to the mat in a normal mat return and to allow him to stay down is disgusting. One of the worst calls I have seen at state!!! Only way they could win
Normal mat returns aren't called an illegal slam by the official

I'm glad this morning there are at least some folks with rational thoughts. This Garaway kid didn't slam himself. Once again, I have no ties to either program but a slam is a slam. Word I heard is that the kids had a dislocated shoulder, they popped it back in, took x-ray to make sure everything was in order. If the coaches said to stay down then shame on them, but it's certainly not the kids fault.

I'm glad this morning there are at least some folks with rational thoughts. This Garaway kid didn't slam himself. Once again, I have no ties to either program but a slam is a slam. Word I heard is that the kids had a dislocated shoulder, they popped it back in, took x-ray to make sure everything was in order. If the coaches said to stay down then shame on them, but it's certainly not the kids fault.
I've watched it multiple times and do not feel like this is a clear cut slam.

With the magnitude of this match, and the luxury of everything being on video. Any slam call at this level (state tournament) should go to an automatic review by a 3rd party official if there chooses to be an injury default.

It's definitely not a black and white call.

Personally, I don't think it was a slam. I'm willing to admit it could be construed that way... but just because I think someone could take it as a slam, doesn't mean it was.

The end result of an injury shouldn't have a bearing on the call. Injuries happen in legal moves regularly

I'm torn on the whole thing.

i’m not saying it was the kids fault, coaches forsure

With the magnitude of this match, and the luxury of everything being on video. Any slam call at this level (state tournament) should go to an automatic review by a 3rd party official if there chooses to be an injury default.

Personally, I don't think it was a slam. I'm willing to admit it could be construed that way... but just because I think someone could take it as a slam, doesn't mean it was.

The end result of an injury shouldn't have a bearing on the call. Injuries happen in legal moves regularly

i agree

As soon as Shore left his feet on the way down it became out of control and a slam. Watch it again and you will see him come off his feet to drive the kid down harder.

As soon as Shore left his feet on the way down it became out of control and a slam. Watch it again and you will see him come off his feet to drive the kid down harder.
Knee hits before return. Leaving feet has no impact on it because his knee still hit first. Also was not out of control, kid had means to defend himself and didn’t

Wow!!!!!! Just watched the match on flo!!! That mat return IMO happens in most matches!! Not going to get into what the coaches should’ve done I think that’s been established on here already. IMO the blame starts with the Ref no way is that mat return worthy of an illegal anything!!!

Knee hits before return. Leaving feet has no impact on it because his knee still hit first.
So it can't be a slam and cause injury if his knee hits first? Did you ever wrestle? LOL!!!!!!! Maybe when the earth was cooling there was some rule about the knee hitting the mat first, but that would have been a few decades ago.

So it can't be a slam and cause injury if his knee hits first? Did you ever wrestle? LOL!!!!!!! Maybe when the earth was cooling there was some rule about the knee hitting the mat first, but that would have been a few decades a
Kid was able to defend himself in a defendable position and didn’t. Injuries also happen while legal wrestling takes place. Body all hits simultaneously, does not hit only on shoulder. Blown call

So it can't be a slam and cause injury if his knee hits first? Did you ever wrestle? LOL!!!!!!! Maybe when the earth was cooling there was some rule about the knee hitting the mat first, but that would have been a few decades ago.
“did you ever wrestle” lol obviously do not know who you’re talking to

After watching the video clip... the official did not rule a slam (illegal) he called unnecessary roughness... that won't change anyones opinion on here but that was the official call.

LOLOLOLOL! The old fable, was that in Aesops? "...but the knee hit 1st!" :geek::rolleyes::unsure: