D2 - State Bracket

Who wins the Division 2 State Championship?

• Archbishop McNicholas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Francis DeSales

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adselder09

The Division 2 State Bracket is set up with the same Regional Matchups as the D1 Bracket:

North vs. South
East vs. West

Last edited:

Half of the D2 Bracket has been determined after last night's Regionals in the North and East:

North - Walsh Jesuit will face the winner of Archbishop McNicholas-Roger Bacon
-WJ has not faced either team this season
-They've lost only twice this season to D1 favorite Alter and Regional Finalist Elder both only 2 set losses
-They've beaten St Francis DeSales along with St Ignatius and Beavercreek who are still alive in D1

East - St Francis DeSales will face the winner of Archbishop Alter-Bishop Fenwick
-SFDS has not played either team this season
-They recently took 1 set from D1 favorite Darby (losing in 4) and beating State Qualifier Pick North in 5
-They have defeated both North Region Qualifiers in D1 (Ignatius and Jackson)

Last edited:
DeSales beat Pick North iirc

**edit**
May 11
St Francis DeSales def. Pickerington North 17-25, 14-25, 25-14, 25-23, 15-8

DeSales lost to both North D1 qualifiers, but since the Darby match they appear to be at another level.

It'll be interesting to see DeSales who is playing at a high level lately vs the tea that beat them in the state final last year in Alter.

I'll take the upset, Stallions in 5

Division 2 State Tournament Schedule:

Saturday, May 28
5:00 - (N) Walsh Jesuit vs. (S) Archbishop McNicholas
6:45 - (E) St Francis DeSales vs. (W) Archbishop Alter

Sunday, May29
2:00 - Championship Match

Last edited:
Interesting that all four teams were at Spike for Tykes, the only D2 teams to participate:

Final Standings there per website:
Walsh: 2-3-1 (4th)
DeSales: 2-3-1 (10th)
McNicholas: 3-3 (11th)

Only D2 matchups there:
Alter def. DeSales 25-21, 25-21(pool play)
Alter def. Walsh 25-21, 25-21 (Gold Semi-Finals)

From regular season matches:
Walsh def. DeSales 25-23, 27-25, 25-20
Alter def. McNicholas 25-7, 25-13, 25-20
Alter def. McNicholas 25-20, 25-19, 25-23

At this point in the season, every team has probably improved and has potential to win it all. I'll take the experience of Alter and Walsh to advance to the finals.

Walsh did what we all expected

DeSales put up a solid fight, but Alter played well. Mancz was very good, I was impressed with him.

Alter tomorrow in 4 is my call

Alter def. Walsh Jesuit 25-23, 25-20, 25-22 to win the D2 State Championship. Alter has won 5 of the last 6 D2 titles (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016).

Alter has won 5 of the last 6 and the West has won 6 of the last 6. If Craig Erford wasn't the best coach in the entire state before, he is now. Congratulations to Coach Erford and the Alter program!!

Do you think they would have had the same success if they were D1? Regardless, it's a great accomplishment!

Do you think they would have had the same success if they were D1? Regardless, it's a great accomplishment!

Most years no. There are better teams in D1. Look no further than Alter's results against Elder, Moe, and X in any given year to see how they might fair if they were in D1. That's not a knock on them, but usually D1 is deeper. They could definitely compete and even advance to State, but outside of a year here or year there they wouldn't be winning championships, definitely not consistently.

Most years no. There are better teams in D1. Look no further than Alter's results against Elder, Moe, and X in any given year to see how they might fair if they were in D1. That's not a knock on them, but usually D1 is deeper. They could definitely compete and even advance to State, but outside of a year here or year there they wouldn't be winning championships, definitely not consistently.

I think last year Alter, DeSales, and Walsh could've won the D1 title.
But, that is by far the exception. Most years it just wouldn't happen. As adselder said, just look at regular season results.

All 3 of those teams would've been in D1 states (Alter beat Centerville, DeSales beat Pick North, Walsh beat Jackson), but I doubt any of those 3 would've beaten Darby, Elder, or Moe in the playoffs.