• West Holmes by 2 scores or more

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Holy Name by 1 score

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Holy Name by 2 scores or more

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

Jguth83

West Holmes comes into the game 13-0 and Holy Name has a record of 7-5. Both teams seem to be playing their best ball right now. WH comes into the game a favorite but Holy Name definitely has the talent to knock off WH. Who wins this game?

West Holmes comes into the game 13-0 and Holy Name has a record of 7-5. Both teams seem to be playing their best ball right now. WH comes into the game a favorite but Holy Name definitely has the talent to knock off WH. Who wins this game?
I believe HN has played the better schedule, however I think West Holmes should win.
And as you mentioned, both teams are playing their best ball right now. Will be a great game. ?

Anyone know if WH starting qb is back this week? Backup did great after rough start last week. Seemed they REALLY forced ball to Williams-Dixon until qb settled down.

Went to the Holy Name game at Buckeye earlier in the year. I don't know that Holy Name will win, but I doubt that they will get lambasted for 51 points like Fairview did last week.

Anyone know if WH starting qb is back this week? Backup did great after rough start last week. Seemed they REALLY forced ball to Williams-Dixon until qb settled down.
He is out for the season that I know of. Doctor told him it could ruin his shoulder permanently if he plays

He is out for the season that I know of. Doctor told him it could ruin his shoulder permanently if he plays
That’s a shame. The dude was really something to watch & gave that offense another gear.

Good luck West Holmes from Dover. I hope we see each other next week. Be sweet to see Dover vs West Holmes in the final 4.
This would be AWESOME! The good news/bad news would be you made it to final 4, but both teams will have to "travel" because there's not going to be a good "midway" point to play the game. : )

Anyone remember the ESPN series " Convicts vs Catholics"? It was about the University of Miami vs Notre Dame. Could this matchup be dubbed " Amish vs Catholics "??

Anyone remember the ESPN series " Convicts vs Catholics"? It was about the University of Miami vs Notre Dame. Could this matchup be dubbed " Amish vs Catholics "??
Nice try. Berlin Hiland (no football) is where all the Amish live. West Holmes is your classic Metallica/ Lynyrd Skynyrd rural area.

It is an easy mistake lots of folks make. Less common is a town being named by a drunk sailor (https://mogadorevillage.org/history/). Thought I knew a lot of Ohio history but WHAT!?!? :)

This would be AWESOME! The good news/bad news would be you made it to final 4, but both teams will have to "travel" because there's not going to be a good "midway" point to play the game. : )
Yes the game was at fawcett a few years back. Think Dover won 35-14. But it was still cool to have 2 teams that aren't too far from from each other in a game like that. Hope WH wins tonight. Good luck guys.

Congrats to West Holmes. I watched some tape on Sam Williams-Dixon coming in and he is even better watching him in person. How the hell did you guys get him to Millersburg?

Scary that he is just a sophomore and I see he has a freshman brother (unless you have an unrelated Williams-Dixon on the team, lol) who is listed at 6-3, 195.

Anyway, knew it was gonna be a challenge to try to slow him down. Holy Name had to face quite a few top tier backs this year and he was the best I saw (plus he's also just as good at WR). He was a mix between VASJ's Ty Howard in size and physicality and then Valley Forge Purdue recruit Kentrell Marks in elusiveness. No doubt in my mind he is going to be a high level FBS recruit in a couple of years.

You guys weren't a one-man show either. The QB has a nice arm and is pretty quick and No. 5 runs hard and is tough to bring down. The defense is pretty solid, though a team with a couple of good athletes could give them issues as you saw a bit tonight. Chardon will obviously be a tough test but I think it will be a close game and should be a decent matchup.

As for Holy Name. Unfortunately some of the mistakes that plagued them all year up until the playoffs returned. The fumble on the kickoff after WH tied it at 7-7 was brutal. That set WH up for a short TD. They caught a break on the snap that went through the QB's hand that he then nonchalantly tried to fall on and missed it. Honestly, the only thing I can think was the refs weren't even looking and assumed he just fell on it. As bad as the call was, it only cost WH 20 yards due to the big loss and then a shanked punt that died at midfield.

The hold on the 60 yard screen play that looked like it went for a TD (the WR dove and hit the pylon but I'm guessing refs ruled his foot out at the 4) was killer and I thought was a bit ticky tack since WH got a away with a couple themselves on at least two of their screens that went for big plays. That would have set HN to go up 28-24. Instead, couldn't capitalize after it was called back but they still pinned WH at the 5 on a great punt.

That set up the play of the game when WH had 3rd and 11 (I believe) from the four and the QB threw a perfect bomb to Williams-Dixon for about 50 yards. What a throw because he had a Holy Name DE in his face and looked inches away from tipping it. But he got it off and put the ball in perfect placement between two Holy Name defenders (who had Williams-Dixon tightly covered). While that was a back-breaker, nothing you can do but tip your cap to the QB for putting the ball where he did and Williams-Dixon for securing it. The TD a couple plays later to make it 31-21 was when I knew it would be tough for HN to come back, just by how deliberate their offense is (even though there was still the entire quarter left).

HN still ended up having a chance by driving right back down the field, where another one of their flaws showed back up. WH forced a 4th and goal from the 8 and instead of kicking a FG to make it 31-24, Holy Name went for it. I know HN's kicking game is not great (I think they only attempted one all season long, which was a 25-yarder that was missed). But the kicker has been decent on extra point attempts (only missed a couple all year ... though barely got one over the crossbar tonight). In that situation, I think you have to kick to try to make it a one-possession game. Even if a 25-26 yard FG is a 50/50 chance, probably better than the odds of getting the TD.

When WH stopped that fourth down, it was just a matter of trying to take as much time off the clock because HN has no hurry up offense (oh, they were running their version of one in the fourth, but it still was 20 seconds between plays). And it didn't help either that HN (as been an issue all year) of having to burn two timeouts to get a snap off (the second was the first play after a change of possession, smh).

With that, no sour grapes, West Holmes had the best player on the field and made the plays they needed to win. For me, it's bittersweet because all year I saw a team that had the ability to make a run to state if they could avoid some of their mistakes that cost them against some very good competition early on. That didn't happen tonight and they weren't going to beat a team like WH unless they played more like the team that blanked Norton and beat Padua. They didn't do that tonight and they went home with the L.

FWIW, Williams-Dixon picked up a fan tonight. He's a kid I'll definitely be paying attention to the next couple years to see how high of a level he can get. I'll also definitely be rooting for WH from here out. Hopefully, you guys have two more in you.

That TD run by Shearer (#5) - wow. Only went 10ish yards, but I swear he was hit by every guy on the HN defense and still got in.

And Sanchez (#4) for Holy Name - goodness. I think these 2 guys alone accounted for 90% of the bruises inflicted in the game. Lot of fun.