D2 Path to State

i dont think alter or badin has any chance to beat Purcell. Badin matches up a little better vs them, but would still be a 20+ point game
It will be interesting, I have not seen Purcell only heard great things but schedule did not

Badin Alter game was great. Badin started fast. Held lead most of the night. However their aggressive play got them in foul trouble. Alter fought back. Took lead briefly late in 4th quarter, but Badin came back, took 2 point lead with 5 seconds left. Alter got ball to half court with 2.2 seconds left. In bound play tipped to Alter player, had a look at a 3 pt shot to win, it looked good but hit front rim game over Badin wins 49-47

Purcell-19.5 over Badin

Ball handlers and the lack there of will be the story. An inconsistent whistle will be the only reason its close.

WHAT. A. GAME. @cuyahogacuse Canal Fulton Northwest 30, Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy 27

Almost like we knew what we were talking about....CVCA jumped out early hitting 6 threes in the first half (accounting for all 18 of their points,) but as you said, a low scoring game would keep NW in the game. NW defense ratcheted up in the 2nd half, combined with missed, decent looks at three for the Royals.....30-27 victory for NW holding CVCA to just 9 points in the 2nd half!

Great season for the Royals, one of the classiest schools and teams - only fitting that these 2 senior classes finish 5-5 in their last 10 games against each other...it's been extremely fun watching these groups battle it out for the past 4 years!

NW with another obvious tall task on Friday against Canfield - NW has the talent, athleticism, and size to play with anyone....looking forward to another stressful night in Barberton! Go Indians!

WHAT. A. GAME. @cuyahogacuse Canal Fulton Northwest 30, Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy 27

Almost like we knew what we were talking about....CVCA jumped out early hitting 6 threes in the first half (accounting for all 18 of their points,) but as you said, a low scoring game would keep NW in the game. NW defense ratcheted up in the 2nd half, combined with missed, decent looks at three for the Royals.....30-27 victory for NW holding CVCA to just 9 points in the 2nd half!

Great season for the Royals, one of the classiest schools and teams - only fitting that these 2 senior classes finish 5-5 in their last 10 games against each other...it's been extremely fun watching these groups battle it out for the past 4 years!

NW with another obvious tall task on Friday against Canfield - NW has the talent, athleticism, and size to play with anyone....looking forward to another stressful night in Barberton! Go Indians!
Congratulations Northwest and good luck on Friday night.

You are correct. The game played out almost exactly as we thought it would.

A couple comments:
  • The Northwest defense - tenacious. It won them the game. Even better than I imagined it could be. Held CVCA to a season-low points
  • The coaching - Coach Lower put his team in position to win the game. He called time out when the Indians got down by 10 early in the second quarter. And the course was righted. Northwest never deviated from the game plan. Northwest made the better halftime adjustments (did CVCA make any adjustments?). The Royals never even attempted to keep Northwest honest by setting up any shot opportunities from inside the arc. All Northwest had to do was guard the three-point line. They did. And it worked
  • I know it's a Regional Semifinal, and the bench is shorter. But Northwest seemed to make better use of the bench. CVCA's rotations were nearly non-existent - a change from the norm coming into the contest. And the girls were flustered and tired in the fourth quarter. Those threes that were good early were short when needed late. Four losses on the season. All by one possession. It's easy to play Monday morning quarterback. But this one will certainly keep the CVCA staff up at night. I know it kept me up last night.
  • The Northwest brand of basketball is not pretty. But it's effective. 23-2 and counting. As Coach Knight once said to Leslie Visser after an NCAA Tournament win against Temple, "we scored more points than them." Northwest does that. And they are one game away from Dayton!
  • The atmosphere. Has there ever been a better atmosphere at a high school girls basketball game? Not one that I've attended. That's for sure. Hats off to both communities for their support of these girls. The dueling student sections brought it all game. Why is CVCA leaving the PAC again? I know that's another conversation and a ship that has sailed. But it is sad that some of the schools wanted CVCA gone so badly. Rivalries and competition are great. Last night was a glorious culmination of this four-year run for the seniors on both teams.
  • The respect. It was wonderful to see both teams come together at center court after the game. I caught Kylie Bettinger embracing one of the Northwest players - couldn't see who it was. I saw Coach Lower have an extended conversation with Katelyn Harabedian.
  • The joy! "I believe that we have won!" Yes, Northwest. You did! Now go win three more.
Congratulations @CasualFan24. Keep enjoying the run.

Now back over to the PAC Football thread for us.

PM over Badin
Bryan over Norwalk
Northwest over Canfield
Fairland over Granville

PM over Bryan
Fairland over NW

PM over Fairland

It will be interesting, I have not seen Purcell only heard great things but schedule did not
Went to PM - Badin game. Excellent game. PM ran to a quick lead. PM up 18-5 end 1st q. Badin came back to end first half tied 24-24. Turning point was 4th q with 5:00 minutes left Badin fantastic freshman fouled out. This was not a typical PM blow out Badin played them tough had a chance to win but PM too strong. PM is quick, talented and disciplined, nobody will beat them. My 1st time seeing them play, very impressive! Star soph is unstoppable. Had off night shooting but still had over 20 pts many assists. PM 64 Badin 54. Good luck Cavaliers!

Last edited:
How good is Fairland - anyone giving Northwest a shot in this game? Doesn't look like anyone (in Ohio) has really been able to even test Fairland this year....closest game an 11 point win against Rock Hill (?)

How good is Fairland - anyone giving Northwest a shot in this game? Doesn't look like anyone (in Ohio) has really been able to even test Fairland this year....closest game an 11 point win against Rock Hill (?)

They are very good. They are a legit 8 deep and when they sub they truly don't miss a beat. Besides having talent, they are very disciplined and fundamental. They will not beat themselves. They can score in the half court and are also excellent in transition. The Rock Hill team was actually a solid team, so an off game and still won by 11 speaks volumes.

They are clicking on all cylinders right now. I'm a SEO guy so I know nothing about Northwest, but anyone who knocks off Fairland is going to have to play an extremely solid game for 32 minutes.

They are very good. They are a legit 8 deep and when they sub they truly don't miss a beat. Besides having talent, they are very disciplined and fundamental. They will not beat themselves. They can score in the half court and are also excellent in transition. The Rock Hill team was actually a solid team, so an off game and still won by 11 speaks volumes.

They are clicking on all cylinders right now. I'm a SEO guy so I know nothing about Northwest, but anyone who knocks off Fairland is going to have to play an extremely solid game for 32 minutes.
I'm not going to lie, when I initially saw the Fairland record and they're scores, I was thinking this would be the end for sure for NW's magical run. However, and maybe it's just the homer in me, but the closer we get to the game, the more chance I am giving the Indians.

Northwest has some pretty impressive wins on the season especially when looking at the playoffs. And the teams they have wins over, have some really impressive victories as well. I really think the NW team can play with anyone, they as athletic as any team in the state, they have length, they have size in their 6'2" D1 commit at Center.....I would be shocked if this is anything but a close game....would love for Northwest to "shock the world!"

👀👀

Congratulations Northwest. Dismantled that previously undefeated team.

The Final will put two teams with excellent inside “bigs” against each other. Who can stay out of foul trouble?

Can the tenacious Northeast defense do it one more time and bring a state championship back to Canal Fulton and the PAC?

👀👀

Congratulations Northwest. Dismantled that previously undefeated team.

The Final will put two teams with excellent inside “bigs” against each other. Who can stay out of foul trouble?

Can the tenacious Northeast defense do it one more time and bring a state championship back to Canal Fulton and the PAC?
Watched some of the highlights from the first game.....looked at the box score.....

Northwest plays the kind of game that can beat a team that relies that heavily on 1 player.....at the same time, she's the type of player who can obviously single handedly win games....

I will be there in person - and cannot wait to see it all unfold! Go Indians!!!!

Only saw Northwest one time this season but was extremely impressed by their defense. Quick and relentless. Best I've seen in a long time.