D1 - State Tournament Brackets

Who wins the Division 1 State Championship?

• Beavercreek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Centerville

• Jackson

• Pickerington North

• St Ignatius

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adselder09

Here are the matchups for the Division 1 State Brackets:

Quarterfinals
North #1 vs. South #2
East #1 vs. West #2

South #1 vs. North #2
West #1 vs. East #2

Semifinals
N1/S2 Winner vs. E1/W2 Winner
S1/N2 Winner vs. W1/E2 Winner

I thought everybody was saying that Darby (E1) and Moeller (S1) were going to have to play each other in the semi's this year (assuming they both won their first round match ups).

I thought everybody was saying that Darby (E1) and Moeller (S1) were going to have to play each other in the semi's this year (assuming they both won their first round match ups).

Not everybody. The Quarterfinal matchups do rotate on a 3-year basis since there are only 4 regions, but the entire bracket runs on a 6-year rotation since there are 8 total teams who advance.

So this year's bracket is going to be the same as the 2010 bracket.

I honestly think that the system in which they decide the state tournament brackets need to be fixed. First off Elder and X will most likely play each other in regionals meaning that one of them won't go to the state tournament in Columbus. St. X and Elder are two of the best teams in the state and one won't even be going. Secondly, Darby and Moeller, assuming they go through to the semi finals, will have to play each other. The two best teams in the state ranked 1 and 2 should not be playing each other in the semi finals. It is absurd that situations like this happen. It happened in 2013 in the same exact situation where Moeller (2) and Darby (1) played each other in the semi-finals and then Darby had a cake walk in the finals against Elder. The overall 1 and 2 ranked teams in the state should be playing each other in the finals assuming they go through. In addition, the GCL shouldn't be getting punished for being good at volleyball by having one of them knocked out of the tournament so early.

I honestly think that the system in which they decide the state tournament brackets need to be fixed. First off Elder and X will most likely play each other in regionals meaning that one of them won't go to the state tournament in Columbus. St. X and Elder are two of the best teams in the state and one won't even be going. Secondly, Darby and Moeller, assuming they go through to the semi finals, will have to play each other. The two best teams in the state ranked 1 and 2 should not be playing each other in the semi finals. It is absurd that situations like this happen. It happened in 2013 in the same exact situation where Moeller (2) and Darby (1) played each other in the semi-finals and then Darby had a cake walk in the finals against Elder. The overall 1 and 2 ranked teams in the state should be playing each other in the finals assuming they go through. In addition, the GCL shouldn't be getting punished for being good at volleyball by having one of them knocked out of the tournament so early.
You are wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.

First of all: Elder and X will likely have a chance to make it to state by actually playing. You have to beat the best to win state. No sense having 3 GCLS teams in the State Tournament. If you wanted to do it in this format just crown the Elite Champion the State Champ.

At any rate, this has only happened a handful of times it isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

As for the 2013 semifinal, the 2nd best team in that Bracket laid down for Darby in that match. Darby had their way and did whatever they wanted. Elder while undermatched gave them a tough/better match in the State Final.

I understand the argument, there are different ways to do it but this is what we have. It isn't broken at all, so I see no need for a fix. The points above sound very much like sour grapes which is definitely no reason to make a change.

Last edited:
You are wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin.

First of all: Elder and X will likely have a chance to make it to state by actually playing. You have to beat the best to win state. No sense having 3 GCLS teams in the State Tournament. If you wanted to do it in this format just crown the Elite Champion the State Champ.

Second: Moeller and Darby are on opposite sides of the bracket this season. Did you even see the opening post. At any rate, this has only happened a handful of times it isn't as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

As for the 2013 semifinal, the 2nd best team in that Bracket laid down for Darby in that match. Darby had their way and did whatever they wanted. Elder while undermatched gave them a tough/better match in the State Final.

I understand the argument, there are different ways to do it but this is what we have. It isn't broken at all, so I see no need for a fix. The points above sound very much like sour grapes which is definitely no reason to make a change.

Well said adselder i agree completely

CincyVB just sounds a lil salty

Per the brackets listed on www.ohioboysvolleyball.com, Moeller and Darby are on the same side and could play each other if both advance to the semi-finals.

Agree with adselder09 though, it's a set rotation and each season there are different "power" teams that might have to face earlier in the tournament than desired. Pending the region match-ups, they could even happen in the quarters (if South faced East this season for example) The reason each region has two teams advancing to state is so two teams from the same area (GCL South for example) could advance to state on opposite sides of the bracket.

Darby also beat Elder in a 4 sets, with the last score being 25-23. Hardly call that a cake walk....

Here are the matchups for the Division 1 State Brackets:

Quarterfinals
North #1 vs. South #2
East #1 vs. West #2

South #1 vs. North #2
West #1 vs. East #2

Semifinals
N1/S2 Winner vs. E1/W2 Winner - N2/S1 Winner vs E1/W2 Winner
S1/N2 Winner vs. W1/E2 Winner - N1/S2 Winner vs W1/E2 Winner

Likely matchup of Moeller and Darby in semis. You have to beat em sometime, so may as well play on Sunday morning.

Disregard. Ohioboysvolleyball had the brackets listed differently yesterday. They now read like so for Division I:

Quarterfinals:
North #1 vs. South #2
West #1 vs. East #2
South #1 vs. North #2
East #1 vs. West #2

Semifinals:
N1/S2 Winner vs. W1/E2 Winner
S1/N2 Winner vs. E1/W2 Winner

So under this format, Darby and Moeller are on the same side.

So we have our first two tickets punched from last night:

E2. Pickerington North will face the winner of Centerville-Northmont.
-Pick North has not faced either team this season
-They've seen Darby twice, St Ignatius, St Xavier and Beavercreek all teams that are still alive to make it to Capital next week

E1. Hilliard Darby will face the winner of Lakota East-Beavercreek.
-Darby has not faced either team this season
-Darby-Beavercreek would be a rematch of last season's D1 State Championship

N1. St Ignatius will face the winner of Elder-St Xavier
-Ignatius has faced both Elder and St X this season, defeating the Bombers in 5 at the Centerville Elite
-They fell to the Panthers twice in 2 sets at the Spikes for Tykes and in 3 sets at the Centerville Elite

N2. Jackson will face the winner of Archbishop Moeller-Mason.
-Jackson has not faced either team this season
-Of the teams left, Jackson has faced Centerville, Northmont, along with St Francis DeSales of Division 2.

State Quarters are set:

S1 - Moeller
N2 - Jackson

E1 - Darby
W2 - Beavercreek

W1 - Centerville
E2 - Pickerington North

N1 - St Ignatius
S2 - Elder

I have Moeller in 3, Darby in 3, Pick North in 5, Elder in 4

Division 1 State Tournament Schedule:

Saturday, May 28
10:00 - (W1) Centerville vs. (E2) Pickerington North
11:45 - (E1) Hilliard Darby vs. (W2) Beavercreek
1:30 - (N1) St Ignatius vs. (S2) Elder
3:15 - (S1) Archbishop Moeller vs. (N2) Jackson

Sunday, May 29
10:00 - Semifinal #1 - E1/W2 vs. S1/N2
12:00 - Semifinal #2 - W1/E2 vs. N1/S2

4:00 - Championship Match

Last edited:
Excellent field for D1 this season with a couple new faces.

I'll take:

Centerville in 4
Darby in 3
Elder in 4
Moeller in 3

Darby over Moeller in 5
Elder over Centerville in 3

Darby over Elder in 4

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter on either thread with the State Tournament this weekend. Anyone expecting chaos and upsets like last year or do you think we'll see more chalk. Darby's the clear favorite but can either Beavercreek avenge last season's title loss? Or will a GCL team dethrone them. Will the two newcomers have any success in the Quarterfinals? Most teams go one and done on their first go round to the State Tournament. Jackson will be fighting an uphill battle against Moeller but PN-Centerville has to be as close to a pick'em as you can get, likely the most intriguing matchup of the Quarterfinal round along with Elder-Ignatius.

See my predictions in post #11.. I think Pickerington North takes out Centerville. The two times that I saws the Elks play this year, I was not impressed. Who knows though if Schindler gets going.. But in any event, this should be the best match of the Quarterfinals. I see Darby and Moeller rolling to the Semis, and I see Elder winning as well. I will say that I will not be surprised if Iggy takes the match against Elder. In the only meeting this year, Iggy lost 3-0 to Elder at the Elite, 29-27, 25-16, 25-18. It may not look like a good match, but Iggy had just lost a crazy 5 game match against St Xavier the game before at the Elite. That very well could have taken the wind out of their sails. Do not count Iggy out... They are my sleeper

Elder and Ignatius also had an incredible 5-set battle in the 2013 Quarterfinals.

Elder won that matchup: 19-25, 34-32, 25-21, 20-25, 15-11

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if Iggy pulls out a win. I do give Elder the upper hand though.

They have one of the more underrated setters in the state and are a very scrappy team so I wouldn't be shocked either. These two also played in the S4T Tournament in pool play, the Panthers edged the Wildcats 25-23, 25-23.

My picks for today:

Pickerington North over Centerville in 5
Darby over Beavercreek in 4
Moeller over Jackson in 3
Elder over Ignatius in 4

Overall winner, leaning towards Darby as they are the most talented IMO.

Pick North led 19-15 in Game 1, but the Elk come back to take it 25-23. Clark missed a jump serve bad on set point.

Pick North led midway thru set 2, but again Centerville comes back to take a lead 17-15. PN ties it at 19. Centerville goes up 2, PN ties it again. Teams trade points all the way up to the finish, 30-28 Centerville. PN has no answer for Schindler.

PN takes an early 3 point lead in set 3. Centerville cut it down to one but PN went right back up by 3. Centerville with two aces from Schindler finally pulled even at 21. PN kept their 1-point advantage as they went along and Clark just rotating into the front row. And they can't take advantage as the Elk come back from 24-22 to take the 25-24 lead. Clark gets blocked on set point 26-24 Centerville.

I thought I saw somewhere the Elder game would be live-streamed somewhere but I am not seeing a link on EHSports. Can you post if you know, ads?

Sorry I was making the drive up and couldn't update. Should have also posted the link to watch. It's on Ohioboysvolleyball.com

Elder up 17-13. Jitters are out. Stacklin and Luebbe playing extremely well for Elder.