D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters

Crimson and Black

Thoughts? I think it will be a tall order for The Big Red to get past Wyoming. Defense must be spectacular having given up only 5 touchdowns in 14 games. They also put a ton of points on the board. SHS will show up and be prepared. I do think both teams will be playing the best team
They’ve played all year.

Thoughts? I think it will be a tall order for The Big Red to get past Wyoming. Defense must be spectacular having given up only 5 touchdowns in 14 games. They also put a ton of points on the board. SHS will show up and be prepared. I do think both teams will be playing the best team
They’ve played all year.
I have to admit this will be a game of 2 teams with fantastic traditions over the years

I don’t know much about Wyoming other than they have a really great RB. If they are a run heavy team I like our chances. Going to take a great effort but I think Big Red will be ready to compete. RRR!

Big Red wins if they play like they did against Hartley. They only had three penalties in that game. If they make a bunch of stupid mistakes, they will get crushed. It's hard to say which Big Red team will show up.

This should be an interesting game. It could be a defensive battle or an offensive display but I like the Cowboys big offensive line with their stellar RB. Throw in their dual QBs and receivers that can make a mess of a defense trying to stop one guy. I dont know anything about BR but they are in the semis for a reason and will come ready. No matter who wins this game, I will pull for victor to beat the Tarblooders.

My guess is 24-21.

I’ve seen both teams. Wyoming has more discipline. They execute at a high level on both sides of the ball. When you see a team like that it is fun to watch. I think Steuby has better athletes all around. Taft showed that hester can somewhat be contained. If Steuby can do that and make wyomings QB make plays they have a shot to win.

This should be a Whale of a Game. It’s just to Bad it’s being played at Crew Stadium.
There are multiple Venues in Central Ohio that would be much nicer and better for both programs.
Good Luck to both Teams.

This should be a Whale of a Game. It’s just to Bad it’s being played at Crew Stadium.
There are multiple Venues in Central Ohio that would be much nicer and better for both programs.
Good Luck to both Teams.
Crew stadium isn’t bad. I saw a north south all star game there. I think it seats around 20,000 so it won’t be cavernous like Ohio Stadium. Upper Arlington would have be nice and the Dublin schools have nice facilities. But it really doesn’t matter. Gotta win wherever they send ya.

Crew stadium isn’t bad. I saw a north south all star game there. I think it seats around 20,000 so it won’t be cavernous like Ohio Stadium. Upper Arlington would have be nice and the Dublin schools have nice facilities. But it really doesn’t matter. Gotta win wherever they send ya.
I’ve been to a Bunch of H.S.Football Games at Crew Stadium. It’s not a Football Stadium its
A Soccer Field.
Plus everything is more expensive. Parking, Concessions ETC. plus historically very poor
customer service. Just think a High School venue would be much Nicer for everyone.

Last edited:
It's nice to see a thread about the upcoming game and not a running commentary of grievances. Already I know Wyoming is one of the most winningest programs along with Steubenville and Massillon and that they are a run centric team.......brother that defense must be something, 5 touchdowns in 14 games.......I no longer live in Ohio (Olympic Peninsula Washington) but follow on internet radio. This is a game in Reno's wheelhouse, decided underdogs, Reno will stress tradition and the mental aspects of the game, penalties. Reno is seldom surprised by a team, and the team will respond.

Does anybody else find it rather surprising that Steubenville, having played 103 playoff games now, has never played a Cincy area team before this game? I think Harrison is the only Hamilton County team that Big Red has played in the post season.

Does anybody else find it rather surprising that Steubenville, having played 103 playoff games now, has never played a Cincy area team before this game? I think Harrison is the only Hamilton County team that Big Red has played in the post season.

Considering how much OHSAA and other people fetishize the region system, I'm not really surprised.

Great to see Columbus get such a big game again. Another step in Columbus hosting the state final. Of course Columbus will screw it up as they did the last time they had it.
As for this game Wyoming by two or three touchdowns.

I’ve been to a Bunch of H.S.Football Games at Crew Stadium. It’s not a Football Stadium its
A Soccer Field.
Plus everything is more expensive. Parking, Concessions ETC. plus historically very poor
customer service. Just think a High School venue would be much Nicer for everyone.
I can’t disagree with that. If you had to pick a different facility what would it be? I’m thinking Dublin Coffman. This might sound silly but the OHSAA does some silly ….. I’m wondering if they based crew stadium on ease of getting there. Immediately off of 71. The village idiot could find it.

I’ve watched Wyoming play 2x.
Incredible defense - DB’s are extremely sound/fundamental
2 big interior DT’s (about 265/270 lbs)

their defense simply doesn’t allow teams to get closer than 20-30 yd line

EXTREMELY difficult to score on. Don’t commit mental mistakes/penalties.
Entire defense flows to direction of ball very well.

they have not been tested a lot by throwing teams this season.
Will be interesting if Steubenville elects to test their secodnary

RB Hester - back to back 2000+ yd seasons z. Very strong leg drive, shifty, is a HR threat every play
Should be fun game

It is surprising. You’d think at some point SHS would have run into a Cinci area team. Seems like when we play a SW Ohio team it’s always a Dayton area squad. It seems Wyomings defense is very suffocating. It’s going to be tough to get a win here.

Not really. Big Red started in D2, then bounced back and forth between D3 & D4. Most of the regular playoff participants from Cincy area are in D1 & D2. The decline in the Cincinnati city league schools enrollment and success seems to be relatively recent, as far as I can tell. Statewide, Youngstown City dropped down first, then Dayton and Cleveland. Cincinnati seems to be the last in the line of this trend.

Taft lived in the backfield all night. 33 Mr Football had more negative runs. His 54 yd TD was a gang tackle/scrum when a DLineman knocked off one of the tacklers and he broke free. That was the game.
FACT our RB’s are just as talented. 33 he’s a good back for sure.

Neither team could pass. Both teams just dropped back and threw it up under pressure. Wyoming plays 2 QBS the one that is left handed ALWAYS rolls to the left.

The first series for Taft they gained 3 yds a rush ran it right off tackle and then wildcat with 11 FB size to get the hard yds. They drove it down the field then penalties. No FG kicker. Went for it and threw a duck, INT

Wyoming is not good with speed across the Oline. When they needed to pass the oline doesn’t hold their blocks, had issues with who to block when Taft shifted or stepped up in the gaps at times 5 or 6 on the lines. The DE‘s strung everything up the field and to the sidelines. Made Mr Football cut it back into the help. Taft gang tackled well and flowed to the ball in waves gang tackling.

Taft threw I think 2 ducks for int and fumbled a punt. It was a slow moving game neither team had much motion with their offensive schemes. Reminded me of Massie O in 17’.

DB’s are small and all look the same (reminds me of Lake/Massie) 55 DL is really good along with 6 LB, tough up the middle. 8 DE gets caught at times looking in the backfield rather then setting the edge (Taft ran at him) 42 really plays his position well. Reminds me of another 42 (Mark Palmer) from our 91’ team.

Last edited:
I can’t disagree with that. If you had to pick a different facility what would it be? I’m thinking Dublin Coffman. This might sound silly but the OHSAA does some silly ….. I’m wondering if they based crew stadium on ease of getting there. Immediately off of 71. The village idiot could find it.
The OHSAA does Do some stup Sh@t. The Crew is easy off of 71. But there are No restaurants minus 1 mcD’s.
The closet area is OSU Campus and it will be stacked on Saturday and like I said Crew is a Soccer Field.
My Top 3 Central Ohio sites that offer restaurants, decent parking and can hold a crowd and easy Access
1. St Francis Karl Rd DeSales H.S.
2. Dublin Scioto H.S.
3. Westerville Central H.S.