CVCA's Peterson could be Ohio's highest ranking hoops prospect in 15 years

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Darryn Peterson, a guard in the 2025 class, has the potential to be the highest ranking basketball prospect from the state of Ohio in nearly 15 years.

The 6-5 Peterson, a Canton native, is wrapping his freshman year at Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy in Cuyahoga Falls. He is playing on the travel circuit this spring with the Nike-backed New Jersey Scholars 15-U team.

This season, Peterson was a MaxPreps.com first-team freshman All-American pick. He was also a first-team Division II All-Ohio pick as he averaged 23.1 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2.8 assists and 2.9 steals per game. His team went 16-8 on the season. He was one of a handful of 2025 prospects selected to participate in the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team minicamp during the Final Four weekend in New Orleans.

Hard to rank higher than Chris Livingston or Jared Sullinger - although I think Sullinger misses the cut off and Livingston probably won’t count since he finished his career in VA.

I posted this a while ago on another thread. But I figured it would make more sense to re-post it here.

I have no inside knowledge, but I have heard nothing about him transferring to STVM. If I had to guess, I'd rank his options in order of likelihood as follows:
1. Transfer to an academy
2. Transfer to STVM
3, Stay at CVCA
4. Transfer to McKinley
5. Transfer somewhere else

I suspect the gap between 1 and 2 is pretty large and if I had to bet, I'd say this will be the decision. I'm thinking the gap between 2 and 3 is really slim. And if he chooses to stay in the area, I could easily see him stay at CVCA given the connection between his dad and Coach Futch. I think the gap between 3 and 4 is likewise pretty large. If he were going to go to McKinley, he would have done it this year. Finally, I'm thinking the odds on 5 are non-existent. I can't envision him going anywhere else if he stays in the area. For what it's worth, that is my handicapping from the cheap seats!

Last edited:
I posted this a while ago on another thread. But I figured it would make more sense to re-post it here.

I have no inside knowledge, but I have heard nothing about him transferring to STVM. If I had to guess, I'd rank his options in order of likelihood as follows:
2. Transfer to STVM
3, Stay at CVCA
4. Transfer to McKinley

I suspect the gap between 1 and 2 is pretty large and if I had to bet, I'd say this will be the decision. I'm thinking the gap between 2 and 3 is really slim. And if he chooses to stay in the area, I could easily see him stay at CVCA given the connection between his dad and Coach Futch. I think the gap between 3 and 4 is likewise pretty large. If he were going to go to McKinley, he would have done it this year. Finally, I'm thinking the odds on 5 are non-existent. I can't envision him going anywhere else if he stays in the area. For what it's worth, that is my handicapping from the cheap seats!
We talked about it on this that thread I will talk about it here. He has visited Montverde, IMG and Hillcrest so far this year. He may return for one more year try and make a run to state in Ohio to say he did it but I expect him to not finish school in Ohio. No offense to Oak Hill but they are not even a top 20 prep school in country at all anymore. He plays AAU on EYBL for Jersey Scholars 15 team, same program as DJ Wagner.

2. Transfer to STVM
3, Stay at CVCA
4. Transfer to McKinley

Aren't 1 and 2 the same thing?