Curse of Massillon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.
Massillon was and is one of the greats in Ohio high school football. Take shots all you want 900+ wins is tops in the state and among the leaders nationally.
900 wins is basically a longevity stat……you played football 30 years or longer prior to the good majority of other schools. It’s certainly a nice historical little stat to throw into a football program or a banner on the side of your stadium……..all the so called National Championships and State titles is a lot like the Cleveland Browns winning all those titles back in the AFL days ( except they won them on the field so it’s not debatable or subjective) but….nobody cares about them except the old timers living in Cleveland or Massillon. Lets talk about what counts….. Super Bowls and true State Championships won on the field…………………….crickets!!!!!!!

I mean… last time Massillon made it to a State Final was 2005 and had an all time collective special team. Moore has taken them there 3 times. You wanna fire that guy?
He’s not a bad coach and we don’t have a bad staff. That being said, seems like the program has hit a wall and some staff changes whether it be from the top down or just to some coordinators might be what is needed. He brought the program back to relevancy after the debacle that was the Hall era so we can all appreciate that but his in game coaching ability and game management skills seem suspect.

He’s not a bad coach and we don’t have a bad staff. That being said, seems like the program has hit a wall and some staff changes whether it be from the top down or just to some coordinators might be what is needed. He brought the program back to relevancy after the debacle that was the Hall era so we can all appreciate that but his in game coaching ability and game management skills seem suspect.
I don’t think he’s he best coach ever. But I’m not sure who you think Massillon is gonna get that’s better. Remember when they hired Moore and it was a surprise? Remember the list of people the interviewed? Yeah… back to Jason Hall days. First round exists. Losing to Mck regularly. It feels like Massillon fans have gotten spoiled. I don’t think you’d like the reality of what another coaching hire would mean.

I don’t think he’s he best coach ever. But I’m not sure who you think Massillon is gonna get that’s better. Remember when they hired Moore and it was a surprise? Remember the list of people the interviewed? Yeah… back to Jason Hall days. First round exists. Losing to Mck regularly. It feels like Massillon fans have gotten spoiled. I don’t think you’d like the reality of what another coaching hire would mean.
Massillon wasn’t in a great spot at the end of the Hall era. It wasn’t as attractive of a position as what most people assumed. Right now? I’d say it’s a lot more attractive based on the success the last few years and some good players coming up. And like I said maybe just a few moves on the staff like a new OC with some fresh ideas is all that’s needed. ??‍♂️

As to the Massillon fans getting spoiled lately sentiment…perhaps the mediocrity of the Hall era made the success of the Moore era seem better than it even was. Just simply being back to the level that we should always be at (especially playing in this region) made everyone think we had the best staff ever even though we pretty much lose to every team that has equal or slightly better talent.

Massillon wasn’t in a great spot at the end of the Hall era. It wasn’t as attractive of a position as what most people assumed. Right now? I’d say it’s a lot more attractive based on the success the last few years and some good players coming up. And like I said maybe just a few moves on the staff like a new OC with some fresh ideas is all that’s needed. ??‍♂️
I’d be overly ecstatic a new OC and offensive philosophy

Yeah adjustments need made. Dudes won a state championship though. It’s not like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Plus, I know the yappi crowd loves to take cheap shots at his family, but they do good things for the community.

Yeah adjustments need made. Dudes won a state championship though. It’s not like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. Plus, I know the yappi crowd loves to take cheap shots at his family, but they do good things for the community.
When he has more talent than his opponents he rarely loses. We need a coach that can beat teams like Hoban and Lasalle that are always going to have a few more Jimmy’s and Joe’s than us.

Maybe it’s as simple as like when Urban hired a new OC and that pushed OSU over the edge to a championship. Moore is like the CEO of the program. He needs to hire the right coordinators and staff to help him.

I dont think the majority on here think that Massillon is "no good". Just tired of hearing how they play the best schedule. How the have the best fan base. How they have the best facilities. Constantly ripping the Fed league and teams. They are obviously a good program, but what have they done lately that makes them envious of other programs? Had a few good years lately, but won nothing. They have a high win total, but so what. Isnt the ultimate goal to be OSHAA State Champions? Lots and lots of programs would take their recent state championships over being a good program that hasnt won anything in 50yrs.
We do have the best facilities. Ever been to Paul Brown or visit the indoor training facility? It's beautiful. Btw, enjoy the next few days, because WW is gonna violate you. Having said that, I'll be rooting for Green.

Last edited:
When he has more talent than his opponents he rarely loses. We need a coach that can beat teams like Hoban and Lasalle that are always going to have a few more Jimmy’s and Joe’s than us.
Name another public school in D2 that could beat LaSalle and Hoban in back-to-back weeks it's damn near impossible. Massillon has been asked to do that in 2 of their last 3 state title appearances.

He’s beaten both of them, right? That’s more than most every other coach in Ohio can say. It’s also asking a ton lol.
I’m not saying it’s an easy task at all but it’s the reality of what it takes to win a championship. And let’s be real when we played Hoban in ‘19 our defense was 99% of the reason we won that game and they didn’t have some weapons at full health or at all. Lasalle last year didn’t have their two best athletes.

Name another public school in D2 that could beat LaSalle and Hoban in back-to-back weeks it's damn near impossible. Massillon has been asked to do that in 2 of their last 3 state title appearances.
Yeah it’s obviously an uphill battle. That’s why we need GREAT coaching that can compensate for not always having the better players. Our offense has shown zero imagination. Grandmas in the stands can call our plays out before the snap.

I’m not saying it’s an easy task at all but it’s the reality of what it takes to win a championship. And let’s be real when we played Hoban in ‘19 our defense was 99% of the reason we won that game and they didn’t have some weapons at full health or at all. Lasalle last year didn’t have their two best athletes.
I hate to say it, but you essentially want Massillon to hire Tyrrell lol. Can you imagine the never ending accusations and ohsaa investigations were that to ever happen?

I'd take Moore every day over Tyrell. What's going on at Hoban is a concentrated effort to bring talent into the system and that goes beyond Tyrell. Maybe hire Del Medico as a consultant to bring in resources, that I could get behind.
Yeah it’s obviously a group effort over there but when’s the last time you watched us play Hoban and didn’t walk away thinking “dang they are well coached”

And as I’ve said before, I think an offensive overhaul might be all we need because that unit has been the more consistent issue when it has come to matchups against “good” teams.

Last edited:
And finally someone to replace that bald headed bast#$rd that "coaches" our secondary. Hack couldn't read an offense to scheme against it even if they told him what they were running. His defensive scheme is to keep everyone 10 yds off the receiver and then when pressed the kids are clueless as to what to do, hence the holding calls.

We do have the best facilities. Ever been to Paul Brown or visit the indoor trading facility? It's beautiful. Btw, enjoy the next few days, because WW is gonna violate you. Having said that, I'll be rooting for Green.
Kind of comical that your only rebuttal to my post is about the facilities...and yes, I know they are nice. I said people are tired of hearing about it. I am enjoying it and hope WW violates Green as much as Massillon did last night.

I'd take Moore every day over Tyrell. What's going on at Hoban is a concentrated effort to bring talent into the system and that goes beyond Tyrell. Maybe hire Del Medico as a consultant to bring in resources, that I could get behind.
And we don't do the same thing ? They learned how to condition better, recruit better and , yes, coach better . I love what Nate is doing BUT he needs help in order for us to take that final step.

And finally someone to replace that bald headed bast#$rd that "coaches" our secondary. Hack couldn't read an offense to scheme against it even if they told him what they were running. His defensive scheme is to keep everyone 10 yds off the receiver and then when pressed the kids are clueless as to what to do, hence the holding calls.
He doesn’t coach the corners and he doesn’t call the plays. I actually think he’s one of the few coaches on the staff that has consistently gotten good production and development with his position group.

He doesn’t coach the corners and he doesn’t call the plays. I actually think he’s one of the few coaches on the staff that has consistently gotten good production and development with his position group.
Sorry MT but I call BS on that. Even back when we had Gareon, he learned once he got to TOSU.

Nah it’s not on Hack. Not his scheme either. If there’s anyone on Moore’s staff that has a high football IQ it’s him. If anything he needs more responsibility.

Kind of comical that your only rebuttal to my post is about the facilities...and yes, I know they are nice. I said people are tired of hearing about it. I am enjoying it and hope WW violates Green as much as Massillon did last night.
Yeah, you'd think now might be a good time to dial back a little on the macho prognostications. I guess some people will never learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.