Convoy Crestview vs Richmond Heights Updates 3/18 (DIV Championship)

Didn't the great Columbus East dynasty of 69-71 that many mention as one of the best Ohio teams ever have one of their 3 stars transfer in from another Columbus public?
Yes. I can't think of the guy's name, but in a great book I've read about that group it was claimed the kid left his school (Northland or Whetstone??) and transferred to East because his "old school" coach tried to make him cut his hair (massive afro, I believe). None of the coaches or administration knew the kid was coming until his mother registered him.

Yes. I can't think of the guy's name, but in a great book I've read about that group it was claimed the kid left his school (Northland or Whetstone??) and transferred to East because his "old school" coach tried to make him cut his hair (massive afro, I believe). None of the coaches or administration knew the kid was coming until his mother registered him.
Bo Lamar went to the former North HS, and then came to E. Broad. Ed Ratleff and Randy Smith were at E-High from the start.

Thankfully in football the big-time recruits want to go to big schools to get recognition, like the Arcanum kid did, hard for small school privates to recruit state titles. BBALL most of the recruiting is done at the AAU level, so easier for a coach to recruit like RH did to win a title.

Queen LeCrybaby is a hypocrite..
Lebron has done nothing on the except play at the highest level for 2 decades. Off the court, he has not been involved in any hint of a scandal in his personal life, appears to be a great family man and role model for his kids (something he didn’t have), and a face in the fight against injustice. Oh, and his charitable work is incredible, including founding a school and paying college tuition for its graduates! But sure, you call him a hypocrite! I’d take his values over yours based on this one comment!

I wonder if College football is looking into splitting divisions after the massacre Georgia put on TCU in the National Championship game? I’m going to guess no.

Pretty similar scenario to what RHHS did to their State Championship opponent.

RHHS is playing where they’re supposed to be according to the rules. Their opponents just need to get better. I’m sure those boys don’t just hit the gym come winter time. They are kids who are obviously very talented, but I’d guess they’ve put in the work when no one’s watching to get as good as they are.

I wonder if College football is looking into splitting divisions after the massacre Georgia put on TCU in the National Championship game? I’m going to guess no.

Pretty similar scenario to what RHHS did to their State Championship opponent.

RHHS is playing where they’re supposed to be according to the rules. Their opponents just need to get better. I’m sure those boys don’t just hit the gym come winter time. They are kids who are obviously very talented, but I’d guess they’ve put in the work when no one’s watching to get as good as they are.
So let's say I'm a varsity coach who agrees with you. My kids are not athletically capable of beating RH. So we must get better. The only way to get that good is to recruit hard and heavy with some greenbacks securing the deal. I just don't think the average fan would see that as an improvement.

Lebron has done nothing on the except play at the highest level for 2 decades. Off the court, he has not been involved in any hint of a scandal in his personal life, appears to be a great family man and role model for his kids (something he didn’t have), and a face in the fight against injustice. Oh, and his charitable work is incredible, including founding a school and paying college tuition for its graduates! But sure, you call him a hypocrite! I’d take his values over yours based on this one comment!

Much of what he has done on & off the court has been very impressive. But like many celebrities he gets way over his head voicing his thoughts in areas he is woefully uneducated about & using his large platform to do so - unless there's money in it for him like anything related to China.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let's say I'm a varsity coach who agrees with you. My kids are not athletically capable of beating RH. So we must get better. The only way to get that good is to recruit hard and heavy with some greenbacks securing the deal. I just don't think the average fan would see that as an improvement.
If I’m not mistaken, I don’t believe anyone on this thread has provided any proof that RHs players came from different schools while in HS. Until you have proof that said student-athletes came to the school after high school, it’s merely speculation. That said, someone will probably provide specifics.

Also, why is it so hard to give these players credit for being talented AND working on their game in the offseason to help them become who they are.

Work harder, bottom line.

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t believe anyone on this thread has provided any proof that RHs players came from different schools while in HS. Until you have proof that said student-athletes came to the school after high school, it’s merely speculation. That said, someone will probably provide specifics.

Also, why is it so hard to give these players credit for being talented AND working on their game in the offseason to help them become who they are.

So the reason more kids aren't in college aging basketball is that they don't work hard enough? Come on now. A lot of kids put just as much time in as the Richmond Heights kids and play all year but will never be that good. I've always given the RH kids credit. They play the right way and play great defense. But to just tell kids get better and then go out and beat team with a bunch of kids with D1 offers? That's not it. Our local high school team used to consistently beat RH in basketball. It wasn't because their kids didn't work hard it was because we were better. Right now their kids are better and more talented then everyone else. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Things will evolve again in the future and other teams will overtake them. I understand some kids work harder then others but believe me the reason Crestview or Russia didn't win is not because they weren't working hard. Also there was an article in the Cleveland news about where the kids came from. I'm not one of the guys pointing fingers. They won't be there forever. We ended their season for years and now they are ending others.

So the reason more kids aren't in college aging basketball is that they don't work hard enough? Come on now. A lot of kids put just as much time in as the Richmond Heights kids and play all year but will never be that good. I've always given the RH kids credit. They play the right way and play great defense. But to just tell kids get better and then go out and beat team with a bunch of kids with D1 offers? That's not it. Our local high school team used to consistently beat RH in basketball. It wasn't because their kids didn't work hard it was because we were better. Right now their kids are better and more talented then everyone else. There's nothing wrong with that at all. Things will evolve again in the future and other teams will overtake them. I understand some kids work harder then others but believe me the reason Crestview or Russia didn't win is not because they weren't working hard. Also there was an article in the Cleveland news about where the kids came from. I'm not one of the guys pointing fingers. They won't be there forever. We ended their season for years and now they are ending others.
Agreed. Athletics is no different from academics. People are gifted differently from the start. I have my gifts, and it's not in athletics. No matter how hard I worked at skills and comprehension of the sport, there were many local kids who were simply better.

RH has one player in their starting five that was there since his freshman year.

They have a very talented team. The system is broken. And we are extremely proud of our Knights for making the state championship game.

I have been going to games for 40 years. This reminded me of teams like Wehrle in the late 80s and early 90s. The system always catches on and catches up.

RH has one player in their starting five that was there since his freshman year.

They have a very talented team. The system is broken. And we are extremely proud of our Knights for making the state championship game.

I have been going to games for 40 years. This reminded me of teams like Wehrle in the late 80s and early 90s. The system always catches on and catches up.
Agree.

MAYBE the system is broken - but scoring 6 points in 2.5 quarters is not beating anybody. Let alone Richmond Heights. As for the kids working hard - I think many if not all kids work really hard at being the best they can. The problem is that some kids start out with a much higher skill set given to them by God.

Does Hicksville feel the same way? You know after you guys beat then by a similar score?

False. It’s pretty hard to be this dense. The PG and Jones started last year as Fr and Winters came off the bench. And the first four off of the bench have been there since 9th grade. 7/9 rotation players have been at the since 9th grade.
FALSE. Jones, Barber, McWilliams, and Winters were the only four kids that came back from last year. DENSE!

Does Hicksville feel the same way? You know after you guys beat then by a similar score?
Hicksville? You do realize we are two small farm schools (them bigger than us) that graduate 70 kids a class and play eachother every year, with the same personnel since elementary school right? I don't think you know the NW Ohio area very well.

Crestview was getting into bad situations and throwing the ball right into the hands of Richmond Heights (during the short period of the game I watched), and Richmond Heights was on fire from 3. Most of the issues had little to do with recruiting as far as I could see.