Controversial Call in High School Baseball Game

alan41

This article describes a very interesting situation that occurred at the end of a recent high school baseball game. The article questions whether of not the umpires madye the correct call. What do you think?

This would have been better in the “Ask The Ump” section, but as an NCAA umpire, I’ll chime in, though I’m far from an expert.

Lots to unpack here:

First, theoretically, for the call to be overturned, the HPU has to basically be 100% sure he came off the bag. I had an NCAA game Tuesday night we had a bad throw to swipe tag. U1 called runner who was sliding into first to avoid tag out, came to me for help. As the HPU, I got a read on the throw, took a read step, and even got lower to watch tag/no tag, and I told him “it looked like he missed the tag, his tag never changed direction, never had hesitation (momentum slows when contact is applied usually), and never saw the glove bend due to pressure or contact him.” I then said, “but I also never saw space/air between glove and body, therefore I can not be 100% certain he missed the tag”. So the call stood. To overturn means the call almost surely was correct at first in the end.

Now, if you watch the Indians you should know the next rule. When an umpires INCORRECT call puts one team at a disadvantage, they have the authority to correct the disadvantage (and should do so).

Without video showing where the runner was, calling the runner out at first would indeed prevent the defense from making a play on R2 (now R3). Had they said “safe” immediately, they might have looked to that runner to make a play (or they might have stared at the ump like the 1B in the move “major league” on the final play!!)

My point is, it’s possible on a game ending pivotal play, both umps were so focused on play at first they might not be aware of where runner was...also unlikely he was almost 180 feet run in the time it takes to throw to first.

The other day, a KC Royal was tagged out bc he was confused by an umpires call that was wrong, and it got corrected to give him 3rd base.

Assuming the runner was not more than halfway home and likely to score, putting him back on third is likely the correct call.

Surprised all the fans who know the rules better than the umps didn’t know that

Last edited:
For the record, if there is video of this play that shows the runner indeed was not “likely to score without a play being made”, then these umps deserve praise and promotion for getting this right, tough situation and they nailed it (probably)

I believe the only logical call, since the runner was at second base at the time of the pitch, was he would not likely have scored (or even attempted to score) if they called him safe immediately.

As a coach, you need to be logical even if it does not get called your way.

They say the fans didnt agree.......ya dont say?

With what I am reading I am 100% backing the call.

I would have liked to have seen them make the decision about R2 (runner from second base) on their own. That should have been part of the discussion with the PU on the status of F3's foot when he caught the ball. It makes for a cleaner process. One meeting, one discussion with the coaches...... play ball.

That said, the decisions about the pulled foot (it's not an appeal, it's an umpire not 100% sure because of the angle he has) and placing the runner at 3rd base are purely judgment calls.

The process (and reasoning) they used the arrive at both rulings was 100% correct.

Props to the local paper for a detailed game story including quotes from the head coach - and to the opposing fans who apparently drove over an hour to watch a 4-13 team.