Consecutive playoff qualifier streaks

dnis30

WE ARE LUCAS.
Anyone know where I can find the lists for the longest streaks? All-time and current?

Last edited:

If nothing else, you can cobble your own list together by using a combo of the OHSAA's football tournament history and/or joeeitel.

Coldwater's playoff streak is 25 years and counting (last missed in 1996). Mogadore is at 23 and counting (last missed in 1998). Steubenville and Kettering Alter are at 21 and counting (last missed in 2000). Clinton Massie is at 20 and counting (last missed in 2001, thank you, Riverman). Toledo Central Catholic is at 18 and counting (last missed in 2003). Marion Local is at 17 and counting (last missed in 2004). Those are the longest active streaks that I am aware of. I didn't bother looking at any schools that had qualified to the playoffs less than 20 times. The OHSAA's tournament database offers that information as a good starting point.

A lot of DI schools should be able to make some ridiculously long streaks if things remain where only 1 or 2 teams per DI region don't qualify. Pickerington Central is at 16 and counting (last missed in 2005). That appears to be the longest active streak amongst DI schools.

Last edited:
If nothing else, you can cobble your own list together by using a combo of the OHSAA's football tournament history and/or joeeitel.

Coldwater's playoff streak is 25 years and counting (last missed in 1996). Mogadore is at 23 and counting (last missed in 1998). Steubenville and Kettering Alter are at 21 and counting (last missed in 2000). Toledo Central Catholic is at 18 and counting (last missed in 2003). Marion Local is at 17 and counting (last missed in 2004). Those were the 5 longest active streaks that I could find. I didn't bother looking at any schools that had qualified to the playoffs less than 20 times. The OHSAA's tournament database offers that information as a good starting point.

A lot of DI schools should be able to make some ridiculously long streaks if things remain where only 1 or 2 teams per DI region don't qualify. Pickerington Central is at 16 and counting (last missed in 2005). That appears to be the longest active streak amongst DI schools.
Thank you! This is the information I was looking for.

I agree about D1. It was mentioned before they made the change to 16 per region that the 'making the playoffs' luster would be gone forever. Here we are.

Summarizing and adding on to Mr. Slippery's list down to 8.

Coldwater​
Mogadore​
Kettering Archbishop Alter​
Steubenville​
Clarksville Clinton-Massie​
Toledo Central Catholic​
Maria Stein Marion Local​
Shadyside​
Pickerington Central​
Cincinnati St. Xavier​
Dublin Coffman​
Leipsic​
Toledo Whitmer​
Trotwood-Madison​
Avon​
Cincinnati Colerain​
Columbus Bishop Hartley​
Glouster Trimble​
Kirtland​
Lakewood St. Edward​
McComb​
Norwalk St. Paul​
Wheelersburg​
Cincinnati Wyoming​
Clyde​
Mechanicsburg​
Medina Buckeye​
Bay Village Bay​
Canal Winchester Harvest Preparatory​
Lewis Center Olentangy​
Lucas​
Perry​
Powell Olentangy Liberty​

Last edited:
Of the teams listed with 8 consecutive years or more, Bay Village is the one that surprised me the most with Medina Buckeye not far behind.

Let's remember how the playoffs have changed since Coldwater's streak began: The expansion to 6 divisions began in '94. That obviously helped many schools, especially smaller schools like Coldwater. However, only 4 teams per region were qualifying back when Coldwater's streak began. The expansion to 8 teams per region didn't occur until 1999. Mogadore's current streak began that year. The expansion to 7 divisions began in 2013. This past season was the 9th season since the expansion to 7 divisions, so all the teams on Triangleman's list have made the playoffs every year of the 7 division format. We know that everyone who wanted to be in the playoffs qualified in 2020, and we know that it's going to be difficult for many teams on this list to have their streaks snapped with 16 per region qualifying nowadays. I would not be surprised in the least if the OHSAA eventually throws the gates open and allows every team to qualify. Going from 16 to everyone is not that large of a jump.

NOTE: The information above has been edited due to massive inaccuracies on the part of yours truly.

Last edited:
Of the teams listed with 8 consecutive years or more, Bay Village is the one that surprised me the most with Medina Buckeye not far behind.

Let's remember how the playoffs have changed since Coldwater's streak began: The expansion to 6 divisions began in '96. That obviously helped many schools, especially smaller schools like Coldwater. However, only 4 teams per region were qualifying back when Coldwater's streak began. The expansion to 8 teams per region didn't occur until 1999. Mogadore's current streak began that year. The expansion to 7 divisions began in 2014. This past season was the 8th season since the expansion to 7 divisions, so all the teams on Triangleman's list have made the playoffs every year of the 7 division format. We know that everyone who wanted to be in the playoffs qualified in 2020, and we know that it's going to be difficult for many teams on this list to have their streaks snapped with 16 per region qualifying nowadays. I would not be surprised in the least if the OHSAA eventually throws the gates open and allows every team to qualify. Going from 16 to everyone is not that large of a jump.
OHSAA went to 6 divisions in 1994; 7 divisions was 2013.

OHSAA went to 6 divisions in 1994; 7 divisions was 2013.
You are correct. My memory is getting worse all the time.

In that case, the teams that have made the playoffs for at least 9 consecutive years are the ones who have qualified each year of the 7-division format. I count 27 teams on who fit that description.