Concessions that stray from the norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had walking tacos before but where escapes me.

I'm sure it's harder than ever to find reliable workers for concessions.

A lot of schools rely on parents from teams from different seasons, sports etc.
Ive never heard of walking tacos until i moved to the Cincinnati area...seemed like every school had them

Warren G. Harding used to grill ribs during the games. The players had to smell it on the field. I bet that was torture. The pizza turnoevers were awesome to, but they've gone away from them as well.

Not sure if they still do it or not, but East Cleveland Shaw used to fry fish at their games. It was so good. Their basketball concessions are nice to.

When did concession stands go from snacks to enjoy during the game to having to offer full blown meals?
When they moved the games up to 7pm. Parents don’t have time to grab dinner for the kids after work on the way to away games or some home games. I have noticed the visitors side of stadiums usually has extra items above the norm.

When they moved the games up to 7pm. Parents don’t have time to grab dinner for the kids after work on the way to away games or some home games. I have noticed the visitors side of stadiums usually has extra items above the norm.

Good answer.

Dover has walking tacos.
Not sure who in Tuscarawas County started it, but I've seen that item at a few other schools in that area as well. I first noticed it at a Strasburg basketball game about 10 years ago. I'm told New Philly does a good creamed chicken sandwich and upside-down coney.

I can always count on finding a good pepperoni roll nearly anywhere in the Mahoning Valley. I'm also a sucker for any place that sells kettle corn but often forget that a little bag will go a long way. It's far more filling than regular popcorn.

Not sure who in Tuscarawas County started it, but I've seen that item at a few other schools in that area as well. I first noticed it at a Strasburg basketball game about 10 years ago. I'm told New Philly does a good creamed chicken sandwich and upside-down coney.

I can always count on finding a good pepperoni roll nearly anywhere in the Mahoning Valley. I'm also a sucker for any place that sells kettle corn but often forget that a little bag will go a long way. It's far more filling than regular popcorn.
Yeah, most schools in the county are about the same. Dover has the taco, creamed chicken, coney, Italian sausage, pepperoni roll (The company that makes most of the fundraising ones for most of Ohio is in New Phila) and sadly the pizza is just slices of East of Chicago. Dover also has a separate kettle corn stand at the east end concession area. Also, the Dough Co doughnuts by the dozen at the gates in the second half.

When did concession stands go from snacks to enjoy during the game to having to offer full blown meals?
Very few, if any, households with a kid on the team are eating dinner 'as a family' on gameday. Before the game is nearly impossible; after the game is difficult to do since you might not get seated until 9:30 or 10pm -- that's if kiddo is interested in dealing with their Armchair QB dad or Karen mom post-game in a restaurant (lest they eat with their teammates or make plans.)

Very few, if any, households with a kid on the team are eating dinner 'as a family' on gameday. Before the game is nearly impossible; after the game is difficult to do since you might not get seated until 9:30 or 10pm -- that's if kiddo is interested in dealing with their Armchair QB dad or Karen mom post-game in a restaurant (lest they eat with their teammates or make plans.)
If the team won, Junior is probably going to a teammate's house after the game for a liquid supper. If the team lost, Junior is probably still going to someone's house after the game but might be hitting Wendy's or Taco Bell's drive-thru on the way.

Lowellville has cup of cavatelli with 1 meatball and cup of wedding soup,,,very good
And a fresh slap by a Mob Capo if you act up while ordering!!!!
frustrated the sopranos GIF

Steubenville had great pepperoni rolls last time I got actual food at a game there.

I can't think of any Ohio specific ones not already mentioned. But nationally, here's a few I remember:Buffalo, Wyoming and Lincoln County, Kentucky both had Ribeye sandwiches.

Springfield, Colorado had chicken wings, 4 for $2. Think I had $10 worth.

Kaycee, Wyoming had Tamales.

Albuquerque, New Mexico at the old Milne Stadium had burritos.

Burgettstown, Pennsylvania had Apple Dumplings (and Haluski and ponczki as well)

A surprising number of places had chili, especially later in the season.

Delta High School in Muncie, Indiana might be the best, though. Complete buffet set up by the boosters for free in the parking lot right next to the stadium. Burgers, brats, and hot dogs, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, pasta salad, rice crispy treats, cookies, and drinks.

Steubenville had great pepperoni rolls last time I got actual food at a game there.

I can't think of any Ohio specific ones not already mentioned. But nationally, here's a few I remember:Buffalo, Wyoming and Lincoln County, Kentucky both had Ribeye sandwiches.

Springfield, Colorado had chicken wings, 4 for $2. Think I had $10 worth.

Kaycee, Wyoming had Tamales.

Albuquerque, New Mexico at the old Milne Stadium had burritos.

Burgettstown, Pennsylvania had Apple Dumplings (and Haluski and ponczki as well)

A surprising number of places had chili, especially later in the season.

Delta High School in Muncie, Indiana might be the best, though. Complete buffet set up by the boosters for free in the parking lot right next to the stadium. Burgers, brats, and hot dogs, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, pasta salad, rice crispy treats, cookies, and drinks.
Those all sound amazing!

Your Delta High School experience sounds like an experience I had when I ventured down to Lousville Trinity (KY) to watch a relative play in a JV Game. They were tailgating in the parking lot, and had a huge assortment of breakfast items that they were giving out to us Cincy folks as a "thank you" for making the drive down to support your team. I had never experienced anything like that, truly some of the nicest high school fans I had ever come across. It was quite the pleasant surprise on a Saturday morning.

Fairbanks (Milford Center) has funnel cakes and Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.

Northeastern (Springfield) had 2 concession stands that served a TON of different foods (1 stand on each side). I didn't pay too much attention, but the PA announcer announced it. I know the visitor side had baked potatoes, chili and more. I believe they had ribeye steak sandwiches on one of the sides.

At West Liberty-Salem we are pretty normal. We do make homemade, hand-cut french fries and serve Curly's brats (some of the biggest and best you've ever had).

Patrick Henry will have their traditional concessions with popcorn, pizza, burgers, candy & drinks, probably some other things, but the busiest stand at their games though is a tent set up by the parents where they fry up some of the best french fries I've ever had, I make sure to get a boat of them before kickoff whenever I'm there.

Allen East always has a good concession stand too, not really out of the normal for varsity night and evening games, but if you're ever there on a Saturday morning for JV football or soccer, they have breakfast sandwiches, burritos, hash browns, and it's all delicious

over at roush stadium during the Alter v. Carroll game on friday night, the Alter parents running the concession stand were offering a full on dinner. It was like a whole backyard barbecue behind those bleachers!! They were smoking ribs and brisket in an industrial smoker, they had homemade mac and cheese and corn bread. They also had baked beans, collared greens, and a whole bunch of other homemade sides. they even had fresh baked deserts. beautiful sight to see while the knights smacked the patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.