Concerts. 2021 and beyond.

The Stones are not hitting the US this summer but you have to give credit to any band that can go 60 years of high energy on the road

Concert posters are making a comeback, here is one of my favorites from back in the day:

13724-image-1200-1200-fit.jpg

Willie Nelson is bringing his Outlaw Music festival to Ohio and there are two stops with this line up>Willie Nelson & Family, ZZ Top, Gov’t Mule, & Larkin Poe.

Friday, 7/29 @ Blossom Music Center
Saturday, 7/30 @ Riverbend Music Center

Eagles…..HOTEL CALIFORNIA TOUR

Here’s how it went down in Pittsburg:
There’s a turntable on a stand at the left corner of the stage. From the right, the NIGHTMAN walks across the stage. He’s dressed to the nines, all in black. He gets to the turntable and stops. Wait a minute, he’s carrying something. He holds it up for all to see, oh my goodness…..it’s a Hotel California Album jacket! He takes the album from the jacket, blows off the dust, places it on the turntable, and drops the stylus. Just a few seconds to appreciate the crackle, and BAM…it’s on!!!, the curtain rises… the EAGLES are playing Hotel California!

Side A
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time

At that point a statuesque blond dressed to the nines in all black walked across the stage from right to left and stopped at the turntable. She may have been Tiffany-twisted, but regardless…she was kind enough to flip to side B. And just like that it was on again!

Side B
Wasted Time reprise
Victim of Love
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Try and Love Again
The Last Resort

This edition of the band is Don Henley, Timothy Schmidt, Joe Walsh, Steweart Smith, and Vince Gill. They also had a 50 piece orchestra…..Pittsburghs “Strings with Wings”, and the Carnegie Mellon University choir as back-ups.

Anyhowz, after the album they took a 15-20 minute break, then came back and played just about anything that anybody would ever want to hear, including Walsh’s big hits.

Gill covered Frey’s stuff. Yea, he nailed it! He doesn’t sound much like Frey but sang the songs in/with the same style as Frey did. The only clunker of the night was Schmidt covering Peaceful Easy Feeling. Definitely not for him, should’ve left that one to Gill too. Of course, Henley was spot on with his stuff, and Walsh KILLED it.

Encore:
Rocky Mountain Way
Desperado
The Boys of Summer
Best of My Love

5 Stars on a 5 Star scale.

That’s all I got

Machine Gun Kelly is going to hold a show at First Energy Stadium.

RG_FirstEnergyStadium_0813_MACHINEGUNKELLY_SG_800x419.jpg

Not sure how many tickets he will sell but maybe mutiple dates at Rocket Mortgage or the smaller Progressive Field would have been smarter.

So what are everyone's backlog for this year? Either concerts that you've pulled the trigger on tickets, probables, or artists you'll definitely see if they announce dates near you?

Definite
Elton John
Lyle Lovett and his Large Band
The Who

Probables - Steep Canyon Rangers, trying to rearrange another event on my schedule

Will go locally - Elizabeth Cook, Earls of Leicester, The Mavericks

So what are everyone's backlog for this year? Either concerts that you've pulled the trigger on tickets, probables, or artists you'll definitely see if they announce dates near you?

Definite
Elton John
The Who

Probables - Steep Canyon Rangers, trying to rearrange another event on my schedule

A couple of festivals I have already purchased tickets:
Wonderbus (The Lumineers, Duran Duran, Lorde, Cautious Clay, Young the Giant)
Bourbon & Beyond (TBA)

Artist Tours:
Chris Stapleton
Phish
Billy Strings
Zac Brown Band
Black Keys

Pending Announcement:
Dead & Company (depends on health of Bill Kreutzmann)
Neil Young (Rumored Fall Tour)
Bruce Springsteen (Rumored late Fall/Winter Tour)

Cleveland Orchestra:
Blossom Festival, various dates

Got no definites

Probable - Smashing Pumpkins

Possible - Khruangbin/Toro Y Moi, Death Cab, Earth Wind & Fire

Anyone ever taken kids to a real concert? Like younger than preteen? My five year old likes some Earth Wind & Fire songs and asks the Alexa to play them by name. They're at Riverbend this summer. We're well-versed in going to big sports venues already, but this would be new. I know of a couple that has taken their very young kids to some festivals and have really tried to share the experience with them instead of just letting them tag along for their own hobbies. I know festivals can be kid-friendly... I've heard the Nelsonville one has the reputation and it was previously mentioned in this thread one in Columbus. Would you not recommend? Tips?

One time I saw Rey Muauluga in the lawn at Riverbend for 311/Cypress Hill. He had his infant baby with him. That was weird.

Definite
Elton John
The Who

We've seen Elton John 3 times in the past 10 years or so. Outstanding shows, and he's real good with the audience too.

*If you've seen him already, you probably know that. If not, you'll have to take my word for it.;)

Got no definites

Anyone ever taken kids to a real concert? Like younger than preteen? My five year old likes some Earth Wind & Fire songs and asks the Alexa to play them by name. They're at Riverbend this summer. We're well-versed in going to big sports venues already, but this would be new. I know of a couple that has taken their very young kids to some festivals and have really tried to share the experience with them instead of just letting them tag along for their own hobbies. I know festivals can be kid-friendly... I've heard the Nelsonville one has the reputation and it was previously mentioned in this thread one in Columbus. Would you not recommend? Tips?

One time I saw Rey Muauluga in the lawn at Riverbend for 311/Cypress Hill. He had his infant baby with him. That was weird.
I took Tweens to real concerts but never younger than 10, more because I wanted to have fun and not be burdened by having to deal with any kid drama while into the moment. I did go to a couple Grateful Dead shows with friends who brought along their younger kids and here are a few tips I remember:

• Outdoor shows on a lawn are the way to go. Their attention spans are short so they can roam around and feel free to dance when the spirit moves them which is a big part of a concert experience for a band like EWF.
  • Bring ear protection for them! Even if you think it isn't loud their ears are just developing and it can really ruin their 1st experience if their ears are ringing after a show.
  • Bring a distraction or two for any down time or slow period of a show. I would avoid though an electronic device that they may get too attached to it and move the focus away from the music.
  • If you have a chance get in early and walk them around the scene including a close up view of the stage. For a younger mind the stage rigging and lights are beyond cool as well as the various musical instruments that are out. Also in the case of a Dead show there are a lot of other kids and it is affirming to them to see other folks their age at a show.
  • Get them a small souvenir, especially if it is their 1st show. As I called out above concert posters are becoming a thing again and it would be very cool to have a poster of one of mom or dad's favorite bands hanging up in their room as reminder of them doing something cool with the parent(s).
JU5QCOWAFVBSPG3WQT34DU3KNQ.jpg

I took Tweens to real concerts but never younger than 10, more because I wanted to have fun and not be burdened by having to deal with any kid drama while into the moment. I did go to a couple Grateful Dead shows with friends who brought along their younger kids and here are a few tips I remember:

• Outdoor shows on a lawn are the way to go. Their attention spans are short so they can roam around and feel free to dance when the spirit moves them which is a big part of a concert experience for a band like EWF.
  • Bring ear protection for them! Even if you think it isn't loud their ears are just developing and it can really ruin their 1st experience if their ears are ringing after a show.
  • Bring a distraction or two for any down time or slow period of a show. I would avoid though an electronic device that they may get too attached to it and move the focus away from the music.
  • If you have a chance get in early and walk them around the scene including a close up view of the stage. For a younger mind the stage rigging and lights are beyond cool as well as the various musical instruments that are out. Also in the case of a Dead show there are a lot of other kids and it is affirming to them to see other folks their age at a show.
  • Get them a small souvenir, especially if it is their 1st show. As I called out above concert posters are becoming a thing again and it would be very cool to have a poster of one of mom or dad's favorite bands hanging up in their room as reminder of them doing something cool with the parent(s).
JU5QCOWAFVBSPG3WQT34DU3KNQ.jpg
Good advice. And I would add that EWF is probably a good group to take them too. It shouldn't be a wild, out of control crowd.

Already said but have ear protection for the little ones. Please.

We've seen Elton John 3 times in the past 10 years or so. Outstanding shows, and he's real good with the audience too.

*If you've seen him already, you probably know that. If not, you'll have to take my word for it.;)
Saw him in 2018, and with Billy Joel in 1994. He carried the show as Joel was "sick".

Got no definites

Do you really think your kids will enjoy Bette Midler?

Went Saturday night to Kroger Field in Lexington to see Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson and Chris Stapleton. Only caught a few minutes of Sheryl Crow but she still sounds good and heard a couple of her big hits at the end. Willie is Willie. He was never a great singer and now he kind of just talks through the lyrics, but I am of the opinion he is a national treasure and I was lucky to have the opportunity to see him live before he is gone. Chris Stapleton was awesome. One of the better shows I've been to and the man just kills every song he sings. I believe he is a generational talent that transcends the country music genre. If you get the opportunity to see him, take it. Even if your not a big country music fan, it is worth it.

King's Island to host the most concerts at its Timberwolf Amphitheater since 1995.

Avett Brothers, 3 Doors Down, Berlin, A Flock of Seagulls, Candlebox, Five for Fighting, Verve Pipe, Skillet.

None of these interest me personally, but as a KI passholder, it's great to see them commit to using the space in some way and get some names on the stage. Didn't think they ever would again, so I was hoping they'd tear it down and put in some more flat rides. This is good too. Hope they do it on the yearly.

Saw Chicago there in the late 90s as part of a Father's Day gift to my dad. That was a good show.

Ice Cube and Willie Nelson will headline the Ohio State Fair. Not together - sadly. Lol.

Only for sure concert thus far is The Black Keys/Band of Horses @ Blossom in September - at the wife's request. Will probably end up seeing some local gigs around Cbus this summer as well.