Columbus High School Volleyball

What the word on the Columbus Area East region for the 2019 Season. What teams will come out on top this season?
The following is a list of players who earned post season honors last season.

D1 East Region All Stars – First Team
NAME SCHOOL HEIGHT POSITION
Noah Platfoot Hilliard Darby 6’0 S Player of the Year
Dominic Melchiorre Hilliard Darby 6’3 MB
Spencer Stanley Mt Vernon 6’0

D1 East Region All Stars – Second Team
Jack Proctor Dublin Coffman 6’2 S
Nick Irelan Olentangy Liberty 6’2 OH
Tommy Poole Dublin Jerome 5’6 L

D1 East Region All Stars – Honorable Mention
Bradley Johnson Pickerington North 6’1 S
Attia Soliman Hilliard Bradley 5’7 OH
Leo Morales Dublin Jerome 5’10 S/OPP
Mason Milan Gahanna 6’3 OPP
Sean McCabe Olentangy Liberty 5’10 S
Luke Little Olentangy Orange 6’4 OH
Nick Hermosilla Hilliard Darby 6’1 L
Ryan Kannenwischer Westerville Central 6’1 MB
Joey Mitchell Dublin Coffman 6’0 OH

Division II East Region All Stars - First Team
NAME SCHOOL HEIGHT POSITION CLASS
Justin Sharfenaker Briggs 6’5 OH Player of the Year
Nathan Lancia St. Charles 6’4 OH
Zach Clarke St. Francis DeSales 6’0 OH
Jack Brinkman Bishop Watterson 6’1 OH
Jake Maziarz Bishop Watterson 5’7 S

D2 East Region All Stars – Second Team
Alex McLane St. Charles 6’3 OH
Daniel Goins Licking Heights 5’8 OH
Dedar Mergaye Dublin Scioto 5’10 OH
Raekwon Rogers Licking Heights 6’2 MB
Tanner Smith Worthington Kilbourne 6’0 MB
Jake Page Bishop Watterson 6’1 OH 2

D2 East Region All Stars – Honorable Mention
Jimmy Sauder Worthington Kilbourne 6’2 OH
Will Durbin St. Francis DeSales 6’0 MB
Braydon Biehn Worthington Kilbourne 5’11 L
Nick Topacio St. Francis DeSales 5’6 L
Jake Franz St. Charles 6’1 S
Cameron Gastaldo Dublin Scioto 5’8 S
Kevin Nguyen St. Francis DeSales 5’10 OH

Last edited:

My top Division I Teams East Region
Darby
Mt. Vernon
Jerome
Orange

My top Division II Teams East Region
St. Charles
Watterson
Kilbourne
Briggs

I was surprised how good Olentangy Orange was last year as a first year team - and seeing you've put them in your 4 spot is really quite astounding for a 2nd year squad. Good for those coaches! Jerome is another one that hasn't traditionally been one of the stronger teams.

Is St Charles poised to make a back-to-back run?

Who all is Darby bringing back? I can take a stab at the roster based on club season if anyone wants to help me out

S - Platfoot
OH1 - Ansel
OH2 - Hermosilla?
MH1 - Melchoirre
MH2 - Kish
OPP - Beard?
L - Geise/Reed

Also Griffin Hart. Doesn’t play club but started varsity last year as a Sophomore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume Mt Vernon will be making a pretty significant jump in the newly released poll. I understand they went 4-0 yesterday to start the season. Beating Hoban, St Charles, Elder, and Iggy. Darby scrimmaged them last weekend and they are very strong, talented, and have depth.

List some of the top players anyone has seen play in the Columbus Area this season so far?

Sharfenaker absolutely destroys the ball when he gets an in-system set (which is iffy based on the rest of the Briggs squad). He doesn't necessarily change up his shots well, or pass that well, but the boy can lay into a ball - I'll give him that!

Jonah Gilbert, SO, Hilliard Bradley is one heck of a hitter. Strong all around player as well. Bradley’s entire game is based around Gilbert’s offense. The kid has to be swinging 70+ times in a game. Hope he doesn’t get injured. I heard last week he had 82 swings in 5 sets.

Sharfenaker absolutely destroys the ball when he gets an in-system set (which is iffy based on the rest of the Briggs squad). He doesn't necessarily change up his shots well, or pass that well, but the boy can lay into a ball - I'll give him that!

Falcon11, I agree, It is very impressive how hard Sharfenaker hits the ball. I have not seen anyone hit harder. His serve is pretty hard as well.

Gilbert is taking a lot of swings for Bradley and is hitting all over the court. Quite impressive for a Sophomore. Bradleys libero Soloman helps as well for them. He is the guy who always moves to get the passes so Gilbert can get his swings. I hope they don't hurt him taking all those swings.

I have seen the following players

Little is another sophomore to watch out for. He is a true middle but Orange runs him outside because the setter can get him the ball out there.

I liked the DeSales Libro as well Clark, he keeps them in matches with his smart play.

Mclean is the best player from St. Charles I have seen. Very aggressive player who plays with passion. His game has gotten better over the years.

Liberty has a couple of players in setter Mccabe and OH Irelan really help them.

Race for the D1 #2 spot should be fun. Mt Vernon is probably the leader for it, but Dublin Jerome showed well at the Centerville Elite and Hilliard Bradley just beat Jerome. The Jags also took a set from Darby earlier in the year. Will be interesting to see how the seeds play out and who goes where.

Thoughts for the top 4 seeds in East Region D1 and DII?
Mine are:
DI
1) Darby
2) Mt. Vernon
3) Gahanna
4) Jerome

D.II
1) St. Charles
2) Watterson
3) Briggs
4) Kilbourne

7 of the 14 ranked DI teams are from the East region this week. Good showing from the East this year!

7 of the 14 ranked DI teams are from the East region this week. Good showing from the East this year!

Misleading in that four of those seven are listed below 10. Also Jerome should be in there instead of Coffman. The East is clearly the deepest region this year though, Darby likely to come out as the East's #1, but Gahanna, Vernon, Bradley, Jerome, Olentangy and Liberty all could be in play for the East's #2. No other region can say that.