Columbus bidding on state finals

The last event on that particular turf was this past Sunday. They started removing it yesterday, 11/28, due to a known warranty issue. That didn't affect safety but, still required replacement.

The infill material they use is different than anything else you'll see on a high school field. It's meant to play more true and slightly firmer than crumb rubber. Crumb rubber, especially on newer and high end fields, tends to feel too soft under foot.

It's ground up coconut hulls

Parking lots tend to act as a barrier to bad neighborhoods.

The neighborhood on the west of the railroad tracks is terrible. The neighborhood on the east side of I-71 is terrible.
Actually not true about the west side of the tracks. The west side of the tracks from the fairgrounds is north of 11th avenue. It's the indianola neighborhood. Actually fairly nice. It's south of 11th Ave that used to be tough. But there has been a lot of new housing put in there and it is much nicer than it was 30 years ago.

For this purpose and debate? Let's discuss. We can agree all of Columbus is not really of interest. Nor is all of Canton. Am I correct?
Area of the stadium? The State Fairgrounds. Minimal crime.
And for Canton?

Should probably add the approaches to the stadium. Even driving through problematic areas is going to reduce interest.
Looks to be pretty much only one entrance and exit from the area. That seems a bit messy for an event with a stop time that everyone is leaving at once
Edit" better map, seems like it has a good approach from the north and a good one from the south.

Crime Map Historic Crew Stadium
crime.png

Last edited:
How is it more suited for soccer? Not trying to be an a$s, just curious on others perspective.
I was responding to your statement that the infill material is different than crumb rubber. If it is firmer and more “true” as you stated I was just making an observation that perhaps it is a better surface for soccer but not so much for football. All turf surfaces I have seen at highschools are crumb rubber which is softer and gives good traction. Firmer surfaces such as the old “astro” turf surfaces back in the old days were very firm which would be great for soccer but they were extremely slippery. My main conclusion in this is the football finals deserve to have the best surface possible to allow the players to perform great and stay free from injury. If Crew stadium cannot provide that then another stadium needs to be selected.

Crew Stadium : Not only has it hosted the Columbus Crew but also many HS games from Football, State Championships for Soccer and Lacrosse and numerous Concerts. The parking all around the Stadium is the main parking for the 10 day run of the State Fair.
i would consider the grounds to be about as safe as you would want.
There is always a big presence of Ohio Highway Patrol and the Sheriff's Dept. for traffic control and security.
I've been there for everything listed above and never ever felt scared or threatened.
The now 4 Day Sonic Temple Festival ( The Old Rock on the Range) will bring in upwards of 45,000 Concert fans per day and close to 160,000 - 175,000 people over the 4 days it will be held in Crew Stadium Memorial Day Weekend.
Other than OSU / Browns or Bengals no event or facility handles crowds that large in the State of Ohio on a annual basis.
If they had a couple of Major Hotels on the grounds with places to eat and drink it would be the perfect place for the State Finals.
They do allow camping on the grounds for the big Concert events which is a option they could explore for the Finals.
Campers and RV's considering the time of year.

So if the state title games are proposed for the OLD Crew Stadium near the dumpy state fairgrounds, roll up your windows, lock your doors and don't make a wrong turn. That is a grimy, unsafe part of Columbus.

I also agree that Columbus has received a tad much development at the expense of the rest of Ohio, but that's more of an economic and state government point to make than sports.
Your funny. The HOF is a beautiful venue. But the area around there is no different than Crew Stadium. I personally love the HOF. But Crew Stadium is centrally located with tons of parking ( HOF parking is a nightmare ). The only thing holding Crew Stadium up from getting the nod would be it has natural grass. It is a beautiful surface. Just not sure it would hold up in cold, wet weather. But, your comment about the area is a joke. 10's of thousands of people come to the Ohio State Fair every year and there are no issues with that.

Your funny. The HOF is a beautiful venue. But the area around there is no different than Crew Stadium. I personally love the HOF. But Crew Stadium is centrally located with tons of parking ( HOF parking is a nightmare ). The only thing holding Crew Stadium up from getting the nod would be it has natural grass. It is a beautiful surface. Just not sure it would hold up in cold, wet weather. But, your comment about the area is a joke. 10's of thousands of people come to the Ohio State Fair every year and there are no issues with that.
Historic Crew Stadium has turf. They've hosted two games this playoffs already.

Crew Stadium : Not only has it hosted the Columbus Crew but also many HS games from Football, State Championships for Soccer and Lacrosse and numerous Concerts. The parking all around the Stadium is the main parking for the 10 day run of the State Fair.
i would consider the grounds to be about as safe as you would want.
There is always a big presence of Ohio Highway Patrol and the Sheriff's Dept. for traffic control and security.
I've been there for everything listed above and never ever felt scared or threatened.
The now 4 Day Sonic Temple Festival ( The Old Rock on the Range) will bring in upwards of 45,000 Concert fans per day and close to 160,000 - 175,000 people over the 4 days it will be held in Crew Stadium Memorial Day Weekend.
Other than OSU / Browns or Bengals no event or facility handles crowds that large in the State of Ohio on a annual basis.
If they had a couple of Major Hotels on the grounds with places to eat and drink it would be the perfect place for the State Finals.
They do allow camping on the grounds for the big Concert events which is a option they could explore for the Finals.
Campers and RV's considering the time of year.
Hotels and places to eat and drink subtract from the copious parking.
Columbus is a geographic oddity, two hours from everywhere. How many would need a hotel room?

Hotels and places to eat and drink subtract from the copious parking.
Columbus is a geographic oddity, two hours from everywhere. How many would need a hotel room?
I'm sure the Hotels are filled anywhere there is more than a one day State Tournament. They are for the Wrestling Tournament , The Basketball Finals always used to see the Hotels and Bars fill up.
Ask any HS BB or Wrestling Coach if Hotels are available they come to Columbus not only for the Games but the socializing and okay partying away from home.
Not to mention the obvious Parents, Relatives , Officials, Vendors, and so on.
Some people like to come in the night before just to relax and not have to worry about the game day drive to and from.
Columbus isn't a easy 2 hours for everyone .

Try driving from Conneaut or Ashtabula or parts of Southeast Ohio with unimproved (dirt) roads everywhere and no highways or paved roads in sight.

Historic Crew Stadium has turf. They've hosted two games this playoffs already.
Really? I live in Columbus and the last time I was there it was Bermuda grass. That's the whole reason they are testing it with a couple playoff games to see how well the field holds up in cold weather.

Really? I live in Columbus and the last time I was there it was Bermuda grass. That's the whole reason they are testing it with a couple playoff games to see how well the field holds up in cold weather.
It’s100% turf. They’ve already hosted multiple playoff games that are required to be played on turf

lotta pearl clutching on this thread.

crime is freaking everywhere, no matter where they host the finals.

a pipe dream would be to see some of the MAC stadiums get used and maybe split games, like BG and Toledo and Kent and Akron, I think it would be pretty cool to vary them throughout the state, kind of like D3 college is doing now by moving the Stagg bowl around. I know its a pipe dream but one can dream.

Benson is a great place to watch a game though too, so is crew stadium, the shoe, and many other places.

Turf went in in 2021.
If that turf went in 2021 I would be getting my money back. Watched Steubenville game, turf looked terrible and players were slipping all over the place. Also nothing like watching a game with all the extra lines for soccer on it. Watching finals at Benson right now…..true football only field with quality turf, makes a big difference. “Historic” crew stadium does not cut it.

If that turf went in 2021 I would be getting my money back. Watched Steubenville game, turf looked terrible and players were slipping all over the place. Also nothing like watching a game with all the extra lines for soccer on it. Watching finals at Benson right now…..true football only field with quality turf, makes a big difference. “Historic” crew stadium does not cut it.
Somewhere earlier in the thread it says they are replacing it again.

Weird, I worked at the Ohsaa for 8 years, and we openly talked in the office about how we’d love for the finals to be anywhere else. But sure, you probably know more than me.
... and yet the Director can't seem to pay Canton enough compliments... over and over and over.

I said this when they first played at Benson stadium. Why in the world does the visitors side have a huge void in the stadium on the 50 yard line. Now this year the visitors have to look at 4 steel beams in there site lines in the middle of the stands. At a state championship game that is just crazy.

I said this when they first played at Benson stadium. Why in the world does the visitors side have a huge void in the stadium on the 50 yard line. Now this year the visitors have to look at 4 steel beams in there site lines in the middle of the stands. At a state championship game that is just crazy.
That's where the HOF stage is, right?

As for the stage setup, if I were on the visitor side, I'd be irked that I had obstructed views of the field. It's not like it's a roof where there's a tradeoff between comfort and view.

No venue compares to the HOF with the village, HOF, home of Professional Football. The investment in the area continues to grow. Easy access off route 77. Dayton has No Business hosting Football. The Wlecome Stadium venue does not compare and they already Host Boys Girls basketball and Volleyball. Columbus has 3 host arena’s and yet UD and WSU are host??? The old Crew Stadium is centrally located and is the desirable size. However the geographic area is limited. Ideally the best venue would be a 25000 seat dome stadium near the state capital. To date and with expanded amenities planned Canton is the place to be for HS Football Champioships.
1. Canton Tom Benson Stadium
2. Columbus Crew Stadium w/X Security.
3. Akron/Kent State
4. Ohio State Stadium
5. Toledo/ BGS
6. Dayton Welcome Stadium
7. Nippert Stadium
8. Paul Brown Stadium
9. Cleveland Browns Sradiun (Grass)

this all changes if one of these cities builds a dome that host 25,000 plus

Agree 100% whoever came up with that design and then approved it should be fired.