College Football World Reacts To Positive Ohio State Academic News

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
A lot has been made of the academic differences between Notre Dame and Ohio State over the past couple of days. But some interesting academic news out of Columbus may put things into perspective.

The Ohio State football program just posted its multi-year Academic Progress Rate and scored a 991. By contrast, Notre Dame - touted as one of the top learning institutions in the country - scored a 984.

Marcus Freeman looking a little silly...

He said a little more than that. Incuding that ND players HAD to go to class, emphasizing that difference. Of course ND players have to go to class. That's where they pick up their assignments from whomever did them.

He said a little more than that. Incuding that ND players HAD to go to class, emphasizing that difference. Of course ND players have to go to class. That's where they pick up their assignments from whomever did them.
Yeah, they had to go to class, even during covid.

The Academic Progress Rate measures whether a student athlete is academically eligible during a qtr/semester.
It doesn't matter if you are taking basket weaving or rocket science.
It is still a great stat for Ohio St; but not indicative of the quality of courses taken by Ohio St OR ND athletes, that isn't rated.

I have never heard where OSU or even ND is that hard of a school. Now I have heard that about Northwestern.

I have never heard where OSU or even ND is that hard of a school. Now I have heard that about Northwestern.
According to US News ND is academically the 18th best University while tOSU is ranked 49th:

One that surprises many is that Florida State is ranked 55th, many consider the Florida panhandle an extension of Georgia/Alabama that is very back water. Florida is spending a lot of $s on their colleges, they are attracting smart out of state students that want a warm climate and great facilities; don't be surprised if USF & UCF see bumps in the coming years too.

According to US News ND is academically the 18th best University while tOSU is ranked 49th:

One that surprises many is that Florida State is ranked 55th, many consider the Florida panhandle an extension of Georgia/Alabama that is very back water. Florida is spending a lot of $s on their colleges, they are attracting smart out of state students that want a warm climate and great facilities; don't be surprised if USF & UCF see bumps in the coming years too.

A lot of the SEC schools are offering good tuition deals/scholarships to out-of-state students with good academic profiles.

Interesting list, thanks. Bringing in USC and UCLA will raise the Big Ten overall. That’s good!
Having family in Cal I know several grads of the west coast schools. A bit more progressive than I would like, but definitely very intelligent and successful.

Interesting list, thanks. Bringing in USC and UCLA will raise the Big Ten overall. That’s good!
Having family in Cal I know several grads of the west coast schools. A bit more progressive than I would like, but definitely very intelligent and successful.
Cali public colleges are crushing it, again the state is spending big $s and are attracting the best talent in the country to these schools in great locations. (Sign me up to get a fantastic education in Santa Barbra.) FYI, US News updated it methodology this year which increased the metrics around success after graduation and profs actually teaching in the classroom. This has helped many public Universities, especially stem based ones, that have grads with degrees that are in demand plus their model requires profs to actually teach in the classroom. On the flip side privates like Columbia, who dropped over 15 spots, are more about degrees with the word "studies" at the end and profs that are big names in a field for sizzle but spend little time in an actual classroom.

Updated Power 5 footballs top 10:
  1. Stanford
  2. Duke
  3. Northwestern
  4. Vanderbilt
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Cal
  7. UCLA
  8. Michigan
  9. USC
  10. UVA
Just missing out: Florida, UNC, Wake Forest, BC, and Texas.

Florida, unlike Ohio still puts a lot of state money into the state universities making them some of the most affordable in the nation. Florida and Fla St have been highly ranked academically for quite some time. That's not new. Fls St has one of the best Comp Sci programs and research in the nation.

Florida, unlike Ohio still puts a lot of state money into the state universities making them some of the most affordable in the nation. Florida and Fla St have been highly ranked academically for quite some time. That's not new. Fls St has one of the best Comp Sci programs and research in the nation.
I know Florida has been highly ranked but I thought FSU was a more recent development. Related I would have thought UC would be higher with these new metrics, especially when you take into account the successful coop program in the STEM fields that is a gateway to positions in some of the best Companies in these businesses.

I know Florida has been highly ranked but I thought FSU was a more recent development. Related I would have thought UC would be higher with these new metrics, especially when you take into account the successful coop program in the STEM fields that is a gateway to positions in some of the best Companies in these businesses.
FSU was initially a normal school, a teacher college. They were producing top programmers when I was working in Fl in the early 80s. I went to school with the guy that headed their superconductivity facility for many years. Something about exploding magnets.

As for UC, IDK. It's an uphill battle. GE isn't as strong as they used to be. It's easier to put a research or aproduciton facility in the podunks. I mentioned on another thread, Purdue just decided to build it's own STEM campus from scratch and invite major engineering firms to plant and have access to their research. It was a brilliant plan that has moved them dramatically up the lists of university research to product and patents. Trying to get anyone at UToledo to listen... smh. This is the new way for universities. Either Cinci does it or they daudle and OSU does it, using tax money obtained from Cinci residents. Oh wait, they've already started.

Last edited:

It is pretty well known that US News rankings are pretty much garbage.