College Football 2022-2023

The SEC is boss, again.

Georgia is clear #1. I said it a couple of years ago but Kirby Smart took the Bama model to Georgia and has now supplanted the Crimson Tide. The Bulldogs are bigger and faster and more physical than anyone else in the country.

Ohio State struggles against physical teams and adversity. They reflect their HC.

For everyone suggesting Oregon is now all of a sudden a top contender I call BS. Georgia would beat the brakes off them if they played again.

Every year, the pundits get fooled by offense first teams dunking on bad teams. This year is no exception.

Nick Saban is obviously a great coach. Every year he loses assistants to other schools and big time players to the draft and keeps on chugging. Dabo has struggled since losing his OC and DC and not having a once in a lifetime QB (he has been spoiled enough to have two). Clemson is one of the 4 most talented teams in the country and losing like they did in South Bend is all on him.

The SEC is boss, again.

Georgia is clear #1. I said it a couple of years ago but Kirby Smart took the Bama model to Georgia and has now supplanted the Crimson Tide. The Bulldogs are bigger and faster and more physical than anyone else in the country.

Ohio State struggles against physical teams and adversity. They reflect their HC.

For everyone suggesting Oregon is now all of a sudden a top contender I call BS. Georgia would beat the brakes off them if they played again.

Every year, the pundits get fooled by offense first teams dunking on bad teams. This year is no exception.

Nick Saban is obviously a great coach. Every year he loses assistants to other schools and big time players to the draft and keeps on chugging. Dabo has struggled since losing his OC and DC and not having a once in a lifetime QB (he has been spoiled enough to have two). Clemson is one of the 4 most talented teams in the country and losing like they did in South Bend is all on him.
OSU offense is fine, defense is the problem has been ever since Hafley left. UGA barely got past a bad Mizzou team, those games happen but lot of football left to be crowning UGA champs. Most of the experts were picking Clemson to roll ND not sure why but they were. In other words, this CFP is wide open.

Last edited:
OSU offense is fine, defense is the problem has been ever since Hafley left.
I do not agree. OSU struggled offensively against Northwestern and Iowa, who were both physical. If OSU faces a team with similar defense but also has an offense it will not go well. Especially in bad weather. UM fits the bill. Not saying UM will win but from those two games I draw that conclusion.

As of today Georgia would hand OSU their lunch IMO.

We are 5 - 4 Marshall we are 5 - 4 Marshall!!! Marshall would not even have a winning record if they were not so lucky to play ND. Glad the Irish def. Clemson but now they can go back to being the mediocre team that they are.
Wrong again. The Buckeyes will need Notre Dame to do more path-clearing by taking out USC. Because without a second loss, USC will be in the playoff once OSU loses to Michigan.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I do not agree. OSU struggled offensively against Northwestern and Iowa, who were both physical. If OSU faces a team with similar defense but also has an offense it will not go well. Especially in bad weather. UM fits the bill. Not saying UM will win but from those two games I draw that conclusion.

As of today Georgia would hand OSU their lunch IMO.
The weather was bad last year vs TTUN scoring wasn't the issue defense was. Let's see how SEC schools would do in bad weather - OSU offense is built like an SEC offense pass 1st, pass 2nd, then run.

The team you all are forgetting about is USC. If they beat UCLA, Notre Dame and Oregon down the stretch to finish 12-1 with the one loss being a 43-42 nail biter at Utah, they’ll be in the CFP regardless of what else happens from here on out.

Now, if Notre Dame beats them and if Ohio State were to soundly beat Michigan, I think there could be a legit argument to put Notre Dame in the playoff as the de facto ACC champ who took out the probable ACC and Pac 12 champions while taking unbeaten Ohio State to the brink at Ohio Stadium. You might not like it, but you know it’s true.

The team you all are forgetting about is USC. If they beat UCLA, Notre Dame and Oregon down the stretch to finish 12-1 with the one loss being a 43-42 nail biter at Utah, they’ll be in the CFP regardless of what else happens from here on out.

Now, if Notre Dame beats them and if Ohio State were to soundly beat Michigan, I think there could be a legit argument to put Notre Dame in the playoff as the de facto ACC champ who took out the probable ACC and Pac 12 champions while taking unbeaten Ohio State to the brink at Ohio Stadium. You might not like it, but you know it’s true.

USC has a path, no doubt. ND doesn’t. Marshall. The end.

OSU sucked yesterday but was coming off a come from behind victory vs PSU and these are college kids and OSU is still playing without JSN (is he ever coming back) a no.1 NFL draft pick. IF UGA beats Miss. St decisively at Starkville call me impressed but will see.

There is no way in any scenario where the CFP will put a team in that lost to Marshall & Stanford, at home.

You still drunk? Lol.

Ohio State has an awful game in terrible weather on the road and snags a dub in a week of upsets.

ND has 2 bad games at home in good weather and losses to an average Sun Belt team and a downright terrible Pac12 team that would struggle to go .500 in the mountain west. Congrats on the upsets after kamikazeing your own season earlier in the year, though!

Great Sunday to be a Buckeye fan.

OSU sucked yesterday but was coming off a come from behind victory vs PSU and these are college kids and OSU is still playing without JSN (is he ever coming back) a no.1 NFL draft pick. IF UGA beats Miss. St decisively at Starkville call me impressed but will see.
Is there anyone on Northwestern that could start for Ohio State? Is there anybody on Northwestern who Ohio State even thought about recruiting?

At some point an SEC school desperate to win is going to hire Freeze, regardless of his alleged black-balling by the league.
Auburn should be smelling blood in the water with Alabama seeming to have some chinks in the armor at the moment. They should be trying to go big for Hugh Freeze and Urban Meyer before settling for anyone else.

Don’t forget about Jimbo and Texas A&MNIL.
This season has been bad enough for A&M that most should learn you can't simply just buy the best recruits. They have been a total chit show due to terrible culture and buy-in that's resulted from the NIL bonanza.

Is there anyone on Northwestern that could start for Ohio State? Is there anybody on Northwestern who Ohio State even thought about recruiting?
Yes, the starting left tackle who may be the no.1 tackle in college. How many players from Mizzou could start for UGA? TTUN barely beat the Terps and struggled against Iowa. OSU closest game 11 pts. vs ND. Go back to Tressel's championship year I think OSU had 6 games decided by a touchdown or less. I know OSU has issues biggest being stopping the run however to expect a team just to roll through it's conference is not going to happen esp. when you are playing in 40 mph wind.

I know OSU has issues biggest being stopping the run however to expect a team just to roll through it's conference is not going to happen esp. when you are playing in 40 mph wind.
Tom Brady wouldn't be able to pass in those conditions. Day needs to prepare a ground and pound running game in case the weather is not conducive to passing against Michigan.

So does that make Marshall the de facto ACC champs and PAC 12 champs?

Tom Brady wouldn't be able to pass in those conditions. Day needs to prepare a ground and pound running game in case the weather is not conducive to passing against Michigan.
100% agree. Spreading out the offense to spread out the D is only effective if there is a real threat of passing. When 40 mph winds negate that pass threat you better have a different package. Do they have one? (Probably yes). And will they show it either of the next two weeks?

Interesting NY Times column on UCLA's athletic economic woes and how they are tied to their football stadium situation:

In related news it appears that some conferences are really buying in on the home game aspect of the CFP and want to extend it to the round of 8 so that the top 4 schools that get byes from the1st round will also have a chance for a home game. This also cuts down on potential travel fatigue and for some that are still mad at the Rose Bowl for the troubles it has caused in past playoff talk it might marginalize that game even more as it would not be involved until potentially in the semis.

Interesting NY Times column on UCLA's athletic economic woes and how they are tied to their football stadium situation:

In related news it appears that some conferences are really buying in on the home game aspect of the CFP and want to extend it to the round of 8 so that the top 4 schools that get byes from the1st round will also have a chance for a home game. This also cuts down on potential travel fatigue and for some that are still mad at the Rose Bowl for the troubles it has caused in past playoff talk it might marginalize that game even more as it would not be involved until potentially in the semis.
I think it’s just common sense that the quarterfinals have to be held at home stadiums. No one wants to have to travel three times within a month to see their top-ranked team try to win a national title. Plus it would make no sense for the 5 to 8 seeds to get a home game in the wildcard round, but then the 1 to 4 seeds to get zero home games.

College football needs to blow up the postseason bowl structure and relationships. It’s archaic. It’s dumb. It’s over. Get with the times, college football! (This is why college football needs a czar like me who understands this kind of stuff.)

I think it’s fair to say that going into today, Georgia, Ohio State and Tennessee are the three teams best positioned to be in the playoff. Assuming TCU and LSU take another loss before it’s all said and done, it’s time to look hard at the Pac 12 for a fourth team.

I’m still not sold on Oregon. They have that 49-3 matzo ball vs Georgia at the top of their resume. Not only that, they really got a favorable schedule in the Pac 12 where all their toughest opponents had to come to Autzen. They beat UCLA there. Washington and Utah go to Autzen tonight and next week. And they ducked USC. (See what I did there?)

USC is well positioned. They have the best loss of Pac 12 teams (43-42 at Utah in a thriller), they look like a dominant offense, and they get UCLA, Notre Dame and likely a Pac 12 title game to offer a late push to the committee. Now we’ll find out how good they really are.

UCLA is still hanging around with just the one loss at Oregon. Aside from next Saturday vs USC, they should be able to bank two more wins and need to beat USC to make it to Vegas.

It’s still possible that the actual best team of this bunch is Utah. They’re the only ones who beat USC. They’re the only ones who smoked Oregon State. They still only have one conference loss and I’m not sure they should be an underdog next week at Oregon. They might well still win the Pac 12 title.

What I personally want to see is Utah and USC both make it to Vegas, because I think they’re the two best Pac 12 teams and I want a rematch from their Salt Lake City game.

If you’re a fan of Michigan, Ohio State, TCU, Bama, LSU, etc., what you want to want to see is Utah beat Oregon; USC beat UCLA; Notre Dame beat USC; and then USC win the Pac 12 title. What you absolutely don’t want to see is a one-loss Pac 12 champion.

USC suffered a huge injury last night to their top running back. I don't see them beating UCLA or ND; not with that defense.

I know Clemson got thrashed last week, but only being favored by 7 at home over Louisville is a disrespectful line. I’d hammer that.