College Football 2022-2023

From all I have read after ND the school the B1G wants to add is UNC. You have to remember that the unlike most other conferences the Presidents have a strong voice in the conference expansion discussions and unlike Ga Tech UNC not only checks the geography, competitive, multiple sports, and $s boxes but it also checks the academic box. Unfortunately all this discussion will probably be moot if the B1G has to hire a new commissioner who will want to have a voice in the say.

I'm sure that's based upon some extreme anecdote in the back of your memory but GTech doesn't seem to make mention in either winners or losers of the portal. They seem to be well entrenched into the norm. They lost a QB of note a couple years ago, thats about it. Or did you have something else in mind?

I wish it were easier to get them in. The basketball team had some real needs they weren't able to fill.
Georgia Tech has lost some really nice players the last couple years via transfer portal. Last year Jahmyr Gibbs to Alabama. Gibbs will be a top-2 RB prospect in the draft this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he creeps up towards the end of round 1. Regardless of stats at GT he was by far Alabama's best playmaker this year. Extremely dynamic both in the run and pass game.

This current off-season their starting QB transferred to Nebraska and a starting slot receiver transferred to North Carolina.

Georgia Tech has lost some really nice players the last couple years via transfer portal. Last year Jahmyr Gibbs to Alabama. Gibbs will be a top-2 RB prospect in the draft this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he creeps up towards the end of round 1. Regardless of stats at GT he was by far Alabama's best playmaker this year. Extremely dynamic both in the run and pass game.

This current off-season their starting QB transferred to Nebraska and a starting slot receiver transferred to North Carolina.
Yep, every team everywhere has lost really nice players. There are MAC schools lost players to Alabama and other SEC teams and those teams have lost high. 4 of the last 6 Heisman winners were transfers. GTech isn't listed as having lost any more or less than the norm. that's what "anecdote" means. ;) They've lost one or two that mattered, but actually did better this year both in overall schedule and against Ga.

On another topic: During All-American bowl, Ga commit makes a tackle in the backfield, reaches into sock, pulls out dollars and throws them in the air.

Think Kirby Smart will rethink that scholarship offer?

Last edited:
Yep, every team everywhere has lost really nice players. There are MAC schools lost players to Alabama and other SEC teams and those teams have lost high. 4 of the last 6 Heisman winners were transfers. GTech isn't listed as having lost any more or less than the norm. that's what "anecdote" means. ;) They've lost one or two that mattered, but actually did better this year both in overall schedule and against Ga.

On another topic: During All-American bowl, Ga commit makes a tackle in the backfield, reaches into sock, pulls out dollars and throws them in the air.

No.

Not sure I can agree with this. I'd probably argue it's a bigger loss when factoring economy of scale. The odds of having a near equal let alone equal replacement are much lower at Georgia Tech or any non-powerhouse P5 or MAC compared to any upper-tier P5 program.

He's probably a lock to go in the first two rounds of the draft and I'd think maybe sneak into the first round. GT has had three second round picks in the last 11 years and hasn't had a first round pick since 2010, when they happened to have two.

Not sure I can agree with this. I'd probably argue it's a bigger loss when factoring economy of scale. The odds of having a near equal let alone equal replacement are much lower at Georgia Tech or any non-powerhouse P5 or MAC compared to any upper-tier P5 program.

He's probably a lock to go in the first two rounds of the draft and I'd think maybe sneak into the first round. GT has had three second round picks in the last 11 years and hasn't had a first round pick since 2010, when they happened to have two.

Nothing to agree or disagree with unless you have different facts to bring into play.

The original statement you are defending is "it is easier for GTech to get them in the door than to hold onto them."

The seems to me a presumption they are getting a lot of high recruits? That's nonsense. They get anecdotes. By your 11 year measure, they apparently keep some. Again using your information, they lost two. Is the statement to infer that GTech is a portal loser? At least two have declared them a winner.

ESPN Labels GTech a

If you really are convinced of that economy of scale and "odds of having..." statement, to justify it wouldn't you have to reason how those could be in the light that both GT's record and their competitiveness against near the same schedule, improved? Perhaps it was because they held what they had that mattered and brought in equal or better for those lost? ;)

You haven't accounted for how highly ranked those drafts were but presuming they were, they kept them. And it's probably about all they got in the door in the first place. GTech does not get a lot of high recruits in the door. They get anecdotes. They lose anecdotes. Their portal numbers are buried deep into the norm.

I don't think there's a thing to support Omar's claim or your subsequent support. Losing one or two anecdotes doesn't seem to indicate a pattern. How that plays into whether or not GTech should be asked into B10 (I don't believe they should), I'm not following.

Last edited:
A lot of way to early top 25 lists coming out and all have UGA as #1. No surprise and when you look at their schedule that is missing the big names from the SEC West like 'Bama & LSU it really makes sense. Also many are predicting a big year for the Pac 12. Washington & USC are getting run as top 10 teams with Oregon, Utah and Oregon State mentioned in most in the top 20s The B1G looks like a 3 team conference with some combo of UM, tOSU, and Penn State in the top 10. Many have Florida State above Clemson with UNC right on their heels; if it plays out this way it could be the beginning of the end for Dabo as he is not really adjusting to the new land scape in NCAA football. Finally UTSA looks like the Group of 5 team to keep an eye on.