18. Iowa
19. Texas
20. Penn State
21. Washington
22. Oklahoma State
23. UL Lafayette
24. Coastal Carolina
25. Ole Miss

Others Receiving Votes: Utah 145; Northwestern 120; Arizona State 90; Auburn 84; Liberty 68; Brigham Young 53; Texas Christian 48; Michigan 30; Central Florida 29; NC State 27; Boise State 27; Kentucky 20; San Jose State 18; Army 13; Virginia Tech 9; Missouri 8; UCLA 7; Tulsa 6; Pittsburgh 6; Boston College 6; Houston 5; Ball State 5; West Virginia 4; Southern Methodist 4; Appalachian State 4; UAB 3; Arkansas 3; Nevada 2; Mississippi State 2; Air Force 2; Stanford 1; Marshall 1; Florida State 1; California 1.

The usual suspects but it is good to see UC get respect. It is also curious that Coastal Carolina and UL Lafayette get more mention than some blue bloods like Auburn and Michigan.

1628868063424.png

I love college football but this is getting old...

Feels like just about anyone could have correctly guessed the top five and that Notre Dame and A&M would have been 6th and 7th in some order.

There's not really anything interesting or notable until you get to Iowa State at 8th and UC at 10th. Glad to see UC getting some respect.

Luke Fickle has done an outstanding job at UC. You just wonder if he'd been given some more time at Ohio State if he'd been in the same spot as Ryan Day.

Luke Fickle has done an outstanding job at UC. You just wonder if he'd been given some more time at Ohio State if he'd been in the same spot as Ryan Day.
I don’t think so. Meyer sent him to UC because he needed to learn how to run his own program. He’s done a great job and the OSU program is in a far better place than it was when Fickell had to take over for Tressel. Day was groomed differently and was handed the keys to an elite program in better shape than when Meyer arrived. If Day was to head to the NFL, Fickell would be the logical choice to lead OSU…and he is ready.

Day will wane. He is all about his offense. The program talent hides this and it might get exposed this season. Guy like him that come from the OC background always want to prove their passing game is tops. He wins 99% of the games he enters at the moment because he has the most talented team on the field but lets see if it stays that way.

Fickell is a D minded guy who understands the importance of running the ball and playing solid D. It is the recipe for success time and time again.

Day will wane. He is all about his offense. The program talent hides this and it might get exposed this season. Guy like him that come from the OC background always want to prove their passing game is tops. He wins 99% of the games he enters at the moment because he has the most talented team on the field but lets see if it stays that way.

Fickell is a D minded guy who understands the importance of running the ball and playing solid D. It is the recipe for success time and time again.
It's been this way at Ohio State for 30 years. When you have more talent than nearly everyone you play, you'll be successful.

It's been this way at Ohio State for 30 years. When you have more talent than nearly everyone you play, you'll be successful.
My point is it masks the reduction in the importance of the little things. Urban Meyer is a different coach. Very successful for a reason. Following him will not be easy for anyone and Day cares too much about HIS offense. I have already seen his insistence to throw when he could easily run over a team (Northwestern B10 Championship).

If, and it’s a big if, UC can defeat ND at South Bend and IU they will probably go undefeated and maybe be in the Top 4. Injuries will be key. UC doesn’t have the depth of a Clemson, OSU, Alabama.

My point is it masks the reduction in the importance of the little things. Urban Meyer is a different coach. Very successful for a reason. Following him will not be easy for anyone and Day cares too much about HIS offense. I have already seen his insistence to throw when he could easily run over a team (Northwestern B10 Championship).
I can see your point, and who knows, maybe there was some kind of "deal" with Fields that he would not be a game manger and he had alot of say so in the offense. This is the potential downside of being an NFL football factory. Guys are more worried about their potential pro career than what's best for the team.
And you are 1000% correct. I've often said that for most big ten games, if you were picking teams before the game and you let your opponent pick the first 11 guys and you took the other 11, that's what it's like for most big ten teams. The outcome has already been decided, it just matters by how much.

If, and it’s a big if, UC can defeat ND at South Bend and IU they will probably go undefeated and maybe be in the Top 4. Injuries will be key. UC doesn’t have the depth of a Clemson, OSU, Alabama.
And unfortunatley for them, I think they play those games in back to back weeks.

Hate to say this as somewhat of a football purist that enjoys these things, but I don't think running the ball or playing defense matter nearly as much in the current college game as they have traditionally in the past. For the most part, the best offenses seem to be way ahead of the best defenses. The game has changed a lot in recent years, and it can be seen in how defenses have adapted to utilizing more athletic play in space personnel and packages in recent years.

Preferring to chuck it all over the place is rarely going to bite Ryan Day in the rear end except for maybe against the other handful of usual contenders. Offense is currently winning the war against defense in college football, and at the moment even if some of the players are less experienced Day has the best raw skill position talent Ohio State has ever had. At those spots especially he has to this point elevated recruiting beyond what Urban Meyer was bringing in. He'd have to have a lot of things go wrong to not be an undefeated or one loss regular season team for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Bold prediction given the way the college game has moved towards being more of an offensive game. Bama and Clemson have had talented RBs, but their recent success has come from the passing game, not the run game.

Last edited:
This seems to be some selective memory. In the Big 10 championship OSU had 44 rushing attempts to 27 passing attempts. It may have started that way, but Day adjusted the offense in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
Hate to say this as somewhat of a football purist that enjoys these things, but I don't think running the ball or playing defense matter nearly as much in the current college game as they have traditionally in the past. For the most part, the best offenses seem to be way ahead of the best defenses. The game has changed a lot in recent years, and it can be seen in how defenses have adapted to utilizing more athletic play in space personnel and packages in recent years.

Preferring to chuck it all over the place is rarely going to bite Ryan Day in the rear end except for maybe against the other handful of usual contenders. Offense is currently winning the war against defense in college football, and at the moment even if some of the players are less experienced Day has the best raw skill position talent Ohio State has ever had. At those spots especially he has to this point elevated recruiting beyond what Urban Meyer was bringing in. He'd have to have a lot of things go wrong to not be an undefeated or one loss regular season team for the foreseeable future.
*Georgia Bulldogs have left the chat*

Bold prediction given the way the college game has moved towards being more of an offensive game. Bama and Clemson have had talented RBs, but their recent success has come from the passing game, not the run game.
They have had some extremely special QBs. Agree? They also run the ball and play D.

Justin Fields was special. Unsure the next QB will AS special. I just know Day cares an awful lot about HIS passing game.

And hey, I'm not always right either. I thought Master Teague would disappoint and he certainly did not.

As I said, Day will not get hurt because he blows the doors off of the B10 in terms of talent. He has 32 Phil Steele top #25 kids on his two deep compared to the next B10 school (PSU has 16). I've watched enough of Day to know he wants to showcase his passing game more than he should. And the next line of QB's are less run threats than even Fields. The game has changed but at the end of the day the team that wins the run game and stuffs the run comes out on top.

Northwestern might have one player that could start at the OSU. Maybe.

As I said, Day will not get hurt because he blows the doors off of the B10 in terms of talent. He has 32 Phil Steele top #25 kids on his two deep compared to the next B10 school (PSU has 16). I've watched enough of Day to know he wants to showcase his passing game more than he should. And the next line of QB's are less run threats than even Fields. The game has changed but at the end of the day the team that wins the run game and stuffs the run comes out on top.

Northwestern might have one player that could start at the OSU. Maybe.
Definitely a different style than Urban Meyer. The trend towards lesser runners is no coincidence. These are the types of guys he ideally wants at QB, and the last few years he's landed a few very big recruits because he orchestrated the offense that resulted in three bigger passing stat seasons that got two QBs drafted in the first round.

Alabama won a national title last year because they outscored everyone and no one could guard their playmakers in space. Their QB set NCAA records for completion percentage and yards per completion as their studs consistently broke short and medium routes for huge plays. That was a very different team than the earlier Saban teams that pounded people on the ground and that defensively had bulky tanks like my hometown's Trey DePriest in the box to stuff the run. A physically jacked but not quite as fleet footed kid like him (class of 2011) would have a hard time landing the big offers now that he got coming out of high school due to the shift towards more wide open offenses.

Perhaps some day the pendulum will swing back towards a balanced equilibrium.

Ohio plays 23 Louisiana in Week 3 and 27 northwestern in week 4. Very sneaky tough ooc slate for the Bobcats.

ULL is the real deal I’d bet ML on them to beat Texas week 1

Ohio plays 23 Louisiana in Week 3 and 27 northwestern in week 4. Very sneaky tough ooc slate for the Bobcats.

ULL is the real deal I’d bet ML on them to beat Texas week 1

nothing sneaky about that. That is blatantly tough and a great get for a MAC school. How much money they getting for those games?