Coach K , Mentor HS 700 wins

Fine to begin a debate as to who's the best bb coach in Ohio: Mentor's Krizancic or Ed's Flannery?
It’s really hard to determine who is the best coach, however, Coach K has proven to be an excellent program builder. He took 2 losing programs for years (Girard & Mentor), & developed them into consistent winners & state champs at both schools, along with a career of 700 wins. But I also feel Flannery is an excellent coach & should be considered for the top spot, based on his record & accomplishments.

Fine to begin a debate as to who's the best bb coach in Ohio: Mentor's Krizancic or Ed's Flannery?
Coach K, he built Mentor into what it is today and until recently he has had all mentor kids. Flannery is a great coach but lets be honest he has the luxury of reloading every year with kids from all over Cleveland and North East Ohio not mention he has a historical brand in St Edwards athletically and academically to help lure top basketball players to the school and it is no hate I would do the same thing to if I was in his position AND just because he is at a school like that he still has to win games and control the team. I just think Coach Ks career has been more impressive being at a public school. Both great coaches and thankful for their knowledge in our state.

It’s really hard to determine who is the best coach, however, Coach K has proven to be an excellent program builder. He took 2 losing programs for years (Girard & Mentor), & developed them into consistent winners & state champs at both schools, along with a career of 700 wins. But I also feel Flannery is an excellent coach & should be considered for the top spot, based on his record & accomplishments.
Coach K, he built Mentor into what it is today and until recently he has had all mentor kids. Flannery is a great coach but lets be honest he has the luxury of reloading every year with kids from all over Cleveland and North East Ohio not mention he has a historical brand in St Edwards athletically and academically to help lure top basketball players to the school and it is no hate I would do the same thing to if I was in his position AND just because he is at a school like that he still has to win games and control the team. I just think Coach Ks career has been more impressive being at a public school. Both great coaches and thankful for their knowledge in our state.
Coach K is age 65. Coach Flan is age 50 and hit the 500 wins plateau late last season. Saint Edward has averaged 19 wins/year in Flannery’s 26 seasons as head coach. IF he continues as Eds head coach for at least ten more years beyond this season and IF that win rate continues, he will reach 700 wins at age 60. Whether or not that happens, the accomplishments of both these men are among the most outstanding in Ohio basketball history! So, take your pick, I can’t choose one over the other.

Last edited:
I will take both of these coaches any day as tops. They are not only great coaches, but also great role models & fine gentlemen.

Has Mentor ever played STVM? Looking at their schedules year in and year out, neither team ducks anyone! But I don't recall them ever playing. (Albeit, my memory could quite easily be faulty!!!)

Has Mentor ever played STVM? Looking at their schedules year in and year out, neither team ducks anyone! But I don't recall them ever playing. (Albeit, my memory could quite easily be faulty!!!)
I am almost positive they played when LeBron was at ASVSM. If memory serves James scored 52, maybe someone can confirm.

Google is my friend. They have met at least once. James scored 50 and was 11-17 from 3. I imagine one of the better games in his illustrious HS career. Probably wanted to make a statement, it was his first game back after the OHSAA Hummer suspension lol.

Last edited:
At least three times I have been to an Mentor/SVSM basketball game. All of them were in the 2000-2010 decade. It started with the game against LeBron at the JAR. But I think that first game was a two year deal because they came to Mentor the following season after LeBron and company graduated.

I went to a Mentor game at the SVSM gym maybe a few years after that one too. I think it was the team that had Adam May.

Mentor lost all three games I went to. The last two were competitive, especially the third one in Akron. It’s been 15 years or so since they played.

I would throw Moller's Carl Kremer in the discussion. ASVSM's Dru Joyce also. JMO.
Dover’s Bob Von Kaenal won his 700th game late in the season last year, as well. I can’t find an official list, but an article says:

“Von Kaenel is one of only five Ohio high school boys’ basketball coaches to reach 700 career wins.”, so they’re in elite company.

Dover and Mentor played in the playoffs in 2021, so that game would have had nearly 1400 coach wins combined! Doesn’t happen too often.