Club teams 2018-2019

Short answer: Indy Academy 18-1 beat Louisville Fury Smack 18 in the final match.

Long answer
Saturday Pool A -- 1) Attack 18 Red, 2) Fury 18s, 3) Indy Assault 18s, 2 other 18s teams finished 4-5
Saturday Pool B -- 1) Attack 18 Black, 2) Columbus A2 18s, 3) Indy Academy 18-2, 2 other 17s teams finished 4-5
Saturday Pool C -- 1) AirCity 18 Black, 2) Attack 17 Black, 3) Indy Academy 18-1, 4th and 5th were one 18s squad and a 17s

Sunday Pool D -- 1) Indy Academy 18-1 over 2) A2 and 3) Attack Red
Sunday Pool E -- 1) Attack 18 Black over 2) Attack 17 Black and 3) Indy Assault
Sunday Pool F -- 1) Fury over 2) AirCity and 3) Indy Academy 18-2

Fury then beat Attack 18 Black to advance, but Indy Academy 18-1 beat Fury in the last match. Structure is kinda goofy that Academy got to play one fewer match when everybody was tired at the end of the tournament. Not sure if that played a part in the final result or not. I was a court away and didn't see much.

It may not be set up to have a "winner" per se, because the whole thing is set up to win "points" and have good competition from what I understand. Maybe thats why Academy played 1 less match? Or maybe they earned a bye somehow. Are the results posted anywhere for other age groups?

On the website, they have Attack and Fury as being tied for first, so obviously these aren't set up as "tournaments"

Looks like top teams from this weekend in the power league were:
Club 1 (7-0)
Fury Smack (6-1)
The Academy 18-1 Frost (5-1)
A2 Green (4-2)
Attack Black (3-3)
Air City Black (3-3)
CVA Purple (3-3)
Academy 18-2 Storm (3-3)

Interesting that Club 1 (who is Chicago, I think?) and CVA didn't play in the first play day, maybe they saw a good opportunity for quality play and asked to join in. I'd be a little surprised if Vanguard isn't interested in trying to get involved as well.

http://mwboyspointseries.com/standings.html

Local teams in 18-Open this weekend in Chicago -- Vanguard 1, Vanguard 2, Attack Black, CVA Purple, Air City Black, Advancement Academy Green.
They'll be facing some of the best teams in the nation. Good luck to all.

Very unlikely. It's dominated by the Chicago teams, and St Louis Hi Performance most years. Sometimes some teams from Cali have come in and done well.

Well hopefully this year an Ohio team surprises and at least finishes top 3....?? I want to say a team or two from last year finished in the top 3 from Ohio..???

Well hopefully this year an Ohio team surprises and at least finishes top 3....?? I want to say a team or two from last year finished in the top 3 from Ohio..???

Finishing well, and getting bids happen - but actually winning the whole tournament? I don't think an Ohio team has done that at any level that I can recall.

Vanguard 18s won the Florida bid tourney a few years back with a pretty stacked squad, that's the closest I can think of.

I think Vanguard has won the Florida qualifier 3 times, and I know their 17's won the Saint Louis Qualifier 3 or 4 years ago.

That same Vanguard 17's team finished 3rd in Chicago, and 2nd at Penn State.

I think Attack's 18's finished 3rd in Saint Louis in 2012ish.

Those are the top finishes off the top of my head.

Vanguard 17 won St Louis qualifier in 2016 going undefeated for tournament beating St Louis high performance for the championship. That same team was second at Penn State. They did not finish 3rd at Chicago.

Any chance any other levels/teams will qualify open going forward?? St Louis? Etc

I look to see Vanguard 18's(If they can get healthy)
Attack 18 Black
Vanguard 16's to earn a bid before the end of the season.

I don't know much about Attack's 16's but they could be in the mix

Any chance any other levels/teams will qualify open going forward?? St Louis? Etc

Only because you asked. I believe Attack U15s and CVA U14s qualified as well. Attack carries on from last year. CVA 14s is top 10 by rankings after winning OVR undefeated and losing to MVVC and WPGC in Chicago. but they are playing on lower net so time will tell.

I look to see Vanguard 18's(If they can get healthy)
Attack 18 Black
Vanguard 16's to earn a bid before the end of the season.

I don't know much about Attack's 16's but they could be in the mix

Attack 16 black didn't have a great tournament, apparently. I heard 1-3 on day 1, then recovered a bit by going 3-1 on day 2, but lost in first round of flight 1 bracket play. Also heard there may have been injuries, though.

Attack 16 Red did pretty well in USA, though. Could be in the mix for a USA bid in St. Louis.

Based on those result it should make for any interesting power series on the 9th and 10th. Hopefully St. Louis will be a better showing for the Ohio teams.

Looking at AES and Found Florida Fest Results for Ohio Teams

15 open Vanguard 11th place

16 open Vanguard 5th place, A2 17th place

17 open Vanguard 2nd place

18 open Vanguard 18-1 Webb 3rd place (Bid), A2 11th place, Vanguard 18-2 Palmer 22nd

18 USA A2 18-2 3rd

I guess it is more expensive to travel to Florida, but it seems interesting that more local clubs don't go to Florida Fest, seeing as it seems like the best chance Ohio teams have to get a bid.

Seems like the competition in FL was pretty weak...??
It's not that it's weaker, it has a lot to do with the logistics of it.

It's later in the season (after Rochester, Chicago, and all the West Coast bids, but before St Louis) and is only a 2 day tournament, which tends to make the field smaller. Plenty of the top teams down there (Orlando Gold, 352, the other big Florida clubs, the Puerto Rican teams that make the trip up) already secured bids at previous tournaments, so they tend to trickle down.

Add it all up and all you need to do is win a weaker Day 1 pool and then your first match on Day 2 and that's often enough for a bid. That'd be 4 matches against MAYBE 1-2 bid caliber teams up to that point. Then the last 1-2 matches would be against top tier competition that generally win those tournaments. So you could go 4-2 on the weekend, lose handily to the only other teams that will finish the season with a bid, and still walk away with a bid yourself.

If you're from the Midwest and can't win a bid in St Louis, with a large field and plenty of bids already secured, you probably don't belong in Open. Yeah, Florida gives you a chance to get one and say you were in open, but it'll be a rough week at Nationals.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I guess you're right, PF. I certainly wasn't taking the timing into consideration.

To your point about a midwest team getting a bid on FL and maybe being a weaker team in open, and getting your butt kicked: Yeah, it might suck to go to Nationals and get whooped, but for many clubs, that can be a major selling point to future players and parents, "Our team got an open bid to nationals!". So even if they get their butts kicked, they still sell it as a big time positive for the team/club.

Ethan Hubbard (Lakota East) signed with Lincoln Memorial (D2) today.

Sam Hargett (Elder) signed with Urbana (D2) today.

Any others around the state?

2 Cincinnati Attack guys correct?? Ahhh Hubbard couldn’t go to Nationals so he played for CVA.??

Hubbard played for Attack for several years before playing for CVA this year.

I heard he went to CVA to play with the other sand players (Haas, Hagerty, Callahan) but the Nationals thing could be true. Either way, he's at CVA this year.

Lakota East is going to be pretty good again this year. They return most of their impact players. Hubbard, Dubovec, and the Kuhlman twins are all Seniors this year. If they can stay healthy, that's a strong core who can help them compete with the big dogs.