Club teams 2018-2019

PF_Flyers

Anyone have any early guesses on club teams in the area for this upcoming season?

I'll take a stab at Attack 18s:

S- Kastner (X 2019)
OH1- Hargett (Elder 2019)
OH2- Hubbard (Lakota East 2019)
MH1- Mauch (X 2019)
MH2- B. Kiser (Moeller 2019)
RS- Connaughton (X 2019)
L- Bernard (Elder 2019)

I can also see Hagerty (Walnut Hills 2020), Dubovec (Lakota East 2019), Harvey (LaSalle 2019), Niven (Loveland 2019), Callahan (Moeller 2019) and Van Steenkiste (Badin 2019) in the mix as well. Deep class overall, I think Mauch, Hargett, and Kastner are the only 3 locks at this point.

If I had to guess, I'd say they take Hagerty as a Swiss army knife, Niven as a 3rd middle, and Harvey as a DS to fill out the rest of the roster. Also wouldn't rule out Dubovec making it as the RS over Connaughton. Either way, that's a really good team on paper that should be a strong candidate to get a bid, especially after their showing at Nationals. Given their depth, that 2s team could make some noise as well. Reminds me of a few years ago when they had Devolve, Koenig, and eventual POY Klusman on 18-2s.

A lot of Vanguards 18s will be returning from last year, anyone have any guesses as to their projected lineup?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Vanguard 18-1 - Team they were on last year in parentheses

S Platfoot (18-1)
OH1
OH2
MH Melchiorre (18-1)
MH Stanley (18-1)
OPP Sharfenaker (18-2)
L

I imagine Hermesia and Ansel from Darby slot in somewhere, along with McClane. They were all on 17 Gold.

I would expect a lot of competitive matches between Darby, err I mean Vanguard, and Attack

I would be shocked if Hermosia makes top 18's team. Too small to play front row and Vanguard has much better passers than him - Poole, Zoll, Atia. I also heard he quit on his Vanguard 17's for Nationals. Then again, he is from Darby, so who knows.

There are some other pieces - McLane (as mentioned) and Lancia from St Charles, Philip C from Ignatius (if he makes the drive), Little from Olentangy (17's), Proctor from Dublin (probably on 18-2's).

I think Attack and Vanguard are pretty evenly matched. Vanguard has decent talent, but always seems to choke against Attack. I see trend continuing next year. Attack has guys that know how to win IMO.

Catanzaro would be a good pick up for Darby. Kind of a poor man's Mikesch, who's best position is Libero, but hits well enough to sometimes justify playing as an OH. I wonder if the coaches of Vanguard make some calls to OH's outside of the Columbus region to gauge interest like they have done in the past. It is going to be the "Weak" position of this Vanguard team.

Platfoot will be able to make up for many deficiencies of the OH's. I expect him to be Ohio State POY next year, and I don't think it will even be close.

I'm hearing a bit of noise about NKYVC's new boys program- sounds like they're doing their best to attract top-level talent.

Will any Attack kids jump ship? Those fringe 1st team players could switch and get more playing time at NKYVC.

I'm hearing a bit of noise about NKYVC's new boys program- sounds like they're doing their best to attract top-level talent.

Will any Attack kids jump ship? Those fringe 1st team players could switch and get more playing time at NKYVC.
Eh, not impossible. But I don't know what they'd be able to offer that CVA couldn't- and we saw how their first year went.

Eh, not impossible. But I don't know what they'd be able to offer that CVA couldn't- and we saw how their first year went.

Well, it's certainly closer to a lot of kids who are more in the city and to east-siders to get to Wilder vs. Mason.

Also, (again, from what I hear) NKYVC is really pushing that they will have better coaching and focus more on technique and fundamentals - not sure if CVA pushed that aspect last year.

how many high schools in Ohio have boys V ball as a varsity sport ? Or is it all club at this point ?

82 last year - the majority are considered "varsity" teams at their schools, but there are some who are still "club" sports. The club teams are allowed to play in the same organization (OHSBVA) as the varsity ones. The distinguishing factor is generally if the team receives any support from its school (varsity) or if it has to completely run/fund itself (club).

OHSAA does not recognize/sanction boys volleyball - although there is a push to make that happen. However, OHSBVA organizes the district, regional, and state tournaments so it feels pretty much the same as any other HS sport would for the boys playing.

Tryouts either have happened, or will be shortly for most clubs. Any news out there for club season?
CVA is posting results as players accept a spot.

Looks like their 18s is pretty much the same squad as last year. Mostly kids from smaller schools and/or players from Attacks lower level teams.

But they look like they're going to try and grow their numbers drastically. They've got listings for 2 18Us, 2 17Us, a 16U, a 15U, 2 14Us, a 13U, and a 12U. That's a massive growth from last year.

Attacks aren't until next weekend, which is curiously after both CVA and NKYVC's acceptance window expires. Not sure if that was intentional or just how things shook out, but interesting nonetheless.

Seems to be the same M.O. in Columbus. A2 already has tryouts concluded, Vanguard doesn't begin theirs until next weekend. Anyone know what happened with A2s tryouts?

I doubt CVA has 2 18s teams, but yes they definitely will be growing. That 18 Purple team was basically a team full of offers they made to kids who didn't even necessarily tryout, trying to have it be an "elite" team just from invitations, but from what I'm hearing NKYVC might have made more progress there with a solid 18s team.

NKYVC is apparently doing ONLY national teams.

I'm wondering if the disparity in tryout dates is due to AAU vs USAV and region to region variance (NKYVC probably has different rules in KY). I can't keep up with that all anymore.

It looks like Vanguard had "tryouts" - but it was a preliminary thing to offer players a contract, but they'll actually be selecting teams next weekend.

After looking back at CVAs website, to me it looks like they'll end up with:

1 18s team

1 big 17s team

1 combo 15/16s team

2 14s teams

1 combo 12/13s team

But that is still a few more teams than they had last year, I think - I'm glad for the increased opportunities for boys to play in Ohio!

CVA 18 Purple now includes many top players accepting
Hagerty (Walnut Hills 2020)
Haas (Moeller 2020)
Beckelhimer (Moeller 2021)
Niven (Loveland 2019)
Callahan (Moeller 2019)
Dubovec (Lakota East 2019)
And a few others I’m not familiar with

4 players from attacks 17-1s team last year are now at CVA... Will they be able to compete with attacks top team this year?

CVA 18 Purple now includes many top players accepting
Hagerty (Walnut Hills 2020)
Haas (Moeller 2020)
Beckelhimer (Moeller 2021)
Niven (Loveland 2019)
Callahan (Moeller 2019)
Dubovec (Lakota East 2019)
And a few others I’m not familiar with

4 players from attacks 17-1s team last year are now at CVA... Will they be able to compete with attacks top team this year?
That's interesting to see and obviously a good sign for CVA (and a bad sign for Attack).

I think that immediately catapults CVA into the 3rd best team in Ohio behind Attack and Vanguard, but I think they're still well behind those top 2. Even with those departures, Attack is left with key guys at every position:

S- Kastner
OH1- Hargett
OH2- Hubbard
MH1- Mauch
MH2- Kiser
MH3- Thaxton
RS- Connaughton
L- Bernard
OH/DS- Harvey
OH/DS- Vansteenkiste

They keep their 5-1 setter and all 3 players from the all tournament team at Nationals, plus add Kiser. Vansteenkiste is the only one who wasn't on an Attack 1s team last year, and he won POY in the region for D2. That's an impressive roster, even more so when you factor in who they lost and are STILL left with that lineup.

That's interesting to see and obviously a good sign for CVA (and a bad sign for Attack).

I think that immediately catapults CVA into the 3rd best team in Ohio behind Attack and Vanguard, but I think they're still well behind those top 2.

Kiser jumped ship, which was interesting, for sure.

I agree, they'll have their work cut out for them - but I think they may be closer than you think.

This is my guess from what I know of these players:

Dominic Hagerty - Walnut Hills - S(could be OH?)
JJ Beckelhimer - Moeller - ?
Benjamin Kiser - Moeller - MB
Jace Niven - Loveland - MB(could be RS?)
Nikola Bommarito - Mason - MB (Big body - haven't seen him play)
Jacob Callahan - Moeller - L/DS
Justin Glover - ?
Sam Jeffers - Monroe - He set and hit for Monroe last year - my guess is pin hitter, he's a fairly big body
Hunter Haas - Moeller - OH (could be L?)

(I obviously was wrong about CVA not having a second 18s team, but when I checked there was only one name on the list - things changed fast!).

Attack 18-1:
Brian Mauch -MB
Leo Kastner -S
Samuel Hargett -OH
William Connaughton -RS
Joseph Singler -OH
Spencer Bernard -L
Alex Quedens -S?
Luke Vansteenkiste -OH/DS
Brady Murphy -MB

So, Ethan Hubbard also "defected" to CVA with Kiser in addition to the rest we knew about.

Hubbard and Kiser at CVA instead of Attack makes these teams much closer in talent. Should be interesting to see these matches.

Also, from what it looks like on the NKYVC webpage, they do not have any boys teams listed, instead just have a boys training program listed now.

CVA pretty clearly coming looking pretty good here, especially if they're able to really contend with Attack. Problem is, I think Attack still has more talent at every level under 18s, though. So unless CVA continues to get kids to leave, Attack will bounce back.

Last edited:
Vanguard 18-1's will have a solid Line up for the upcoming Club Season

S Noah Platfoot (Hilliard Darby) 1st Team East Region & Player of the year D.I / 1st team All-State
OPP Justin Sharfenaker (Briggs) 1st Team East Region & Player of the year D.II / 1st Team All-State
M Dom Melchiorre (Hilliard Darby) 1st Team All-East Region D.I / HM All-State
M Matt Gentry (Hudson) 1st Team All-North Region D.I / HM All-State
OH Phil Catanzaro (St. Ignatius) 1st Team North Region & Player of the year D.I / 1st Team All-State
OH Cameron Ternent (Massillon Jackson) 1st Team All-North Region D.I / 2nd Team All-State
L/DS Attia Soliman (Hilliard Bradley) HM All-East Region D.I
OH Nathen Lancia (St. Charles) 1st Team All-East Region D.II / 1st Team All-State
OH/M Alex Mclane (St. Charles) 2nd Team All-East Region D,II / HM All-State
DS/L Sawyer Schafer (Monroeville)

Last edited:
Any info on how the 17 teams are looking?

Attack 17-1:
Luke Fuller (OH) Moeller
Ryan Reynolds (MH) Moeller
Grant Stradley (L/DS) Moeller
Joseph Beiter (RS) Elder
Robby Engelhardt (OH) Elder
Jarred Koewler (S) Elder
Craig Dannemiller (L/DS) St X
Jack Konrad (S) St X
Joe Turner (MH) St X

Please help the ignorant dad. My son played volleyball last spring in low-top basketball shoes. He wants to see if actual volleyball shoes feel significantly better. Is there a place in the Dayton area (preferred) or Cincy/Columbus if needed, that carries a lot of men's volleyball shoes in stock so he can try on a variety of them? Thanks folks.

Please help the ignorant dad. My son played volleyball last spring in low-top basketball shoes. He wants to see if actual volleyball shoes feel significantly better. Is there a place in the Dayton area (preferred) or Cincy/Columbus if needed, that carries a lot of men's volleyball shoes in stock so he can try on a variety of them? Thanks folks.

I don't know of any places that actually carry mens volleyball shoes, which means you have to get them shipped to you usually. Which is an issue because you don't know how they feel/fit before you buy.

If you watch college volleyball or even pro volleyball, a lot of the players wear basketball shoes - and I think a big reason why is because there is such a variety that everyone can find a shoe that fits them better.

But if you're set on volleyball shoes, try a place that has free returns (zappos?) so that if they don't fit how he likes, you can send them back and try a new pair.

Vanguard 18-1's will have a solid Line up for the upcoming Club Season

S Noah Platfoot (Hilliard Darby) 1st Team East Region & Player of the year D.I / 1st team All-State
OPP Justin Sharfenaker (Briggs) 1st Team East Region & Player of the year D.II / 1st Team All-State
M Dom Melchiorre (Hilliard Darby) 1st Team All-East Region D.I / HM All-State
M Matt Gentry (Hudson) 1st Team All-North Region D.I / HM All-State
OH Phil Catanzaro (St. Ignatius) 1st Team North Region & Player of the year D.I / 1st Team All-State
OH Cameron Ternent (Massillon Jackson) 1st Team All-North Region D.I / 2nd Team All-State
L/DS Attia Soliman (Hilliard Bradley) HM All-East Region D.I
OH Nathen Lancia (St. Charles) 1st Team All-East Region D.II / 1st Team All-State
OH/M Alex Mclane (St. Charles) 2nd Team All-East Region D,II / HM All-State
DS/L Sawyer Schafer (Monroeville)

What happened to the young Mt Vernon MH that was playing up on 18s last year? Should be a strong team. Platfoot will keep them competitive with just about any club team in the Midwest.

I saw that Platfoot officially has committed to OSU. Great news, and great for Ohio VB!

Any other commitments yet? (I know more happen during club season)

Kids expected to play at the next level?

I saw that Platfoot officially has committed to OSU. Great news, and great for Ohio VB!

Any other commitments yet? (I know more happen during club season)

Kids expected to play at the next level?
Hargett is committed to Urbana

Any word on tournament last weekend? Who ended up winning the 18 open. Heard Attack 18 Black lost to Louisville Fury in first round of tournament.