Club Teams 2017/18

Brambleberry

Forum has been pretty dead recently, so figured I'd start up the conversation for club ball. Tryouts should be starting up in a few months for the winter session, so not that far off.

Last year Vanguard 18 was clearly superior to Attack 18, and Attack 17 was better than Vanguard 17. I think next year at the 18 level the teams will be pretty much even. The Vanguard 17 team from last year will likely add Mikesch, Pung, and Platfoot. Who will arguably be three of their best players. The Attack 17 team from last year will likely add Kiser, C., McCarthy, and Huber. Those three will also be 3 of their best players.

Will be interesting to see how each team gels and how the head to head matchups go. Since I'm more familiar with the Cincinnati kids, I'll throw out my guess at a starting lineup if someone wants to do the same for Vanguard.

S- Daeschner
S- Peed
OH- Albers
OH- McCarthy
MH- Kiser, C
MH- Schatzman
OPP- Kiser, B or Hilvert
L- Huber
DS- Zelzak (sp?)

those are all X, Moeller and Elder guys, right?

Will anyone from outside the big three make that team?

You've got 10 on there and you're missing Ryan Devolve, who was on 18-2 last year and will probably make it.

With him, they've got 3 legit 6-rotation outsides in Albers, McCarthy, Devolve. Libero and middle are locked up with the 3 you mentioned, which is already 6 of their 9-10 spots. If they take both Daeschner and Peed, that knocks a hitter (Hilvert or Ben Kiser) or Zelczak off the list you provided. If they decide to go with a 6-2 and have Daeschner hit in the front like he did for Elder, they may elect to drop Zelczak altogether due to a lack of need. If they're committed to having Zelczak for his ability/roster flexibility, it may knock one of the setters off and drop to a 5-1.

One other name to keep an eye on would be Brandon Fulmer. He's bounced between middle and the pins for both Attack and McNick in the past and has been on the top Attack team the past few years. They may take him as the 10th to be an opposite that can also slide in and play middle in a pinch, something Kiser/Hilvert can't do. He'd be the best realistic shot for a guy from outside X/Moeller/Elder to make it.

Forgot about Devolve, good catch. I assume he would be on the top team. I think he played some OPP for Moeller during the season, so he could be the logical choice to play there. I'm going to assume both Peed and Daeschner remain on the 18-1 team next year. Attack seems to lean more towards running a 6-2 unless the coach really prefers one setter over others.

Don't know much about Fulmer, but sounds like the last one or two spots on the 18-1 team will be a competition between him, Hilvert, B Kiser, Devolve, and Zelcak.

Any club teams have rosters finalized?

Attacks teams were published last night:
18-1:
Peed- Moeller
Daeschner- Elder
Devolve- Moeller
Schatzman- Elder
C. Kiser- Moeller
Albers- Elder
McCarthy- St. X
B.Kiser- Moeller
Huber- St. X
Zelcack- St. X

17-1:
Niven- Loveland
Kastner- St. X
Hagerty- Walnut Hills
Harvey- Lasalle
Hubbard- Lakota East
Connaughton- St. X
Bernard- Elder
Thaxton- St. X
Dubovec- Lakota East
Mauch- St. X
Callahan- Moeller

St. X looks to be setting up very well for high school season. 7 players on the top 17 and 18 team, not even including their best player who is at Vanguard.

Very interesting schools listed on the 17s level. Hagerty from Walnut Hills is a good one as are the two from Lakota East. Then obviously Mauch and Kastner were on St X varsity last year. I would expect this to be a very good team

Well last year Pung and Mikesch were both playing up on 18-1. So they would be locks. The OPP on the 17s last year was solid, as was Gallagher at L. Probably comparable to the Vanguard team a couple years back that had the two stars in Cowen and Clark and the rest role players. Curious if Platfoot takes over as the 18-1 setter or if the 17-1 setter from last year gets the nod

Well last year Pung and Mikesch were both playing up on 18-1. So they would be locks. The OPP on the 17s last year was solid, as was Gallagher at L. Probably comparable to the Vanguard team a couple years back that had the two stars in Cowen and Clark and the rest role players. Curious if Platfoot takes over as the 18-1 setter or if the 17-1 setter from last year gets the nod

Platfoot announced as Van Guard 18-1 setter and verbally committed to Ohio State this past Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any more information regarding the rest of Vanguard's roster? Also that has to be the earliest a player from Ohio has committed in a long time. Congratulations to him

Any more information regarding the rest of Vanguard's roster? Also that has to be the earliest a player from Ohio has committed in a long time. Congratulations to him

First practice tonight. Will know more. I do know the following 18 Gold

Platfoot- Darby
Pung-X
Mikesh-Beavercreek
Buelow-Darby
Dominic-Darby
Jamir ?-Olentangy
Lonnie ?- I think Olentangy
Gallagher- St Charles

First practice tonight. Will know more. I do know the following 18 Gold

Platfoot- Darby
Pung-X
Mikesh-Beavercreek
Buelow-Darby
Dominic-Darby
Jamir ?-Olentangy
Lonnie ?- I think Olentangy
Gallagher- St Charles

Only 8 players taken? and 2/8 are liberos?

Positions for the Olentangy players?

Now that we know the rosters, will Vanguard or Attack be the better team this year? I'll take Attack as slightly better. If they were to play 10 matches, my guess is Attack would win 6 of them

I'm leaning towards Vanguard, and saying they would win 7 of 10. Can anyone get me the projected starting lineup for Attack? We might be able to go down the list and compare position by position.

From what I'm seeing they may only be stronger at middle. Kiser is most likely the best middle in the state, but Vanguard will have probably the most physical middle in the state.

Air City will have the best team they've had in a few years as well. Keep an eye on them.

What is the Air City squad going to look like? They had one of their best teams two years back with Schindler

OH Albers
OH McCarthy
MH Kiser, C
MH Schatzman
S/OPP Daeschner
S/OPP Peed/Devolve
L Huber
DS Zelczak

Kiser was the 2nd best middle in the state last year behind Moldovan. He is going to be head and shoulders above all others this year.

OH - (Pung and Mikesch vs Albers and McCarthy) Advantage Vanguard, but not by as much as many will think.

MH - (Kiser and Schatzman vs ?) Advantage Attack

S - (Platfoot 5-1 vs Daeschner and Peed 6-2) Slight Advantage Vanguard (Platfoot is a stud, but he is still younger)

OPP - (Devolve vs Buelow) Advantage Vanguard

L - (Huber vs Gallagher) Advantage Attack

I agree with just about all of your comparisons.

Where we disagree is the setting and Libero spots.

I think Platfoot will be the clear best setter in the state. From what I saw age is a non factor.

Also IMO, Huber is an outstanding defender, but I'm taking Gallagher in serve receive. The combination defensively of Mikesh, Gallagher, Platfoot and Pung should be fun to watch.

The other piece that is missing is Mark Bruns for Vanguard. He is a 6'7" lefty Opposite that is one of the 3 most dynamic pin players in the state(maybe not best, but most dynamic). The other 2 being Buelow and Rose.

I like Albers, I'm interested to see how his winter goes.

The three Air City guys that jump out to me are Dawson Walker, Rose, and Foy. Those 3 are a good start to any roster.

:laugh: at Outworker making comments like:
-might not be best middle in the state, but will be the most physical
-one of 3 most dynamic pin players in the state, maybe not best but most dynamic

Just take off the Homer glasses guy. We get it, you love Vanguard.

Interesting thought, if Pung and Mikesch had stayed closer to home and played for Air City, then Air City would be the top dog in the state this year.

Also, what does most dynamic mean?

You're probably right Air City would have the talent. But would they have the leadership?

By dynamic I guess I mean quick twitch college level athletes. Guys that can really get off of the floor.

When I think of Kiser, who is the best middle in the state IMO. I don't think of him as a dynamic, high flying, player. Rather a solid athlete with a good IQ for the game. Whereas Dawson may not be as good of a middle as Kiser but is definitely a high flyer, and someone that colleges would be more interested in.

Not trying to offend either player as I think both are very good.

I'm not sure this discussion will go anywhere, because I'm obviously more familiar with Attack but try my best to be unbiased, and you are more familiar with Darby. In my opinion, Kiser is one of the best middles Ohio has seen the last few years. He is every bit of 6'7 and has an extremely high contact point. He is much more than a solid athlete with a good IQ for the game.

On another note, since Vanguard 18-1 only took 8 players, the 2 team should be pretty strong as well

I'm not sure this discussion will go anywhere, because I'm obviously more familiar with Attack but try my best to be unbiased, and you are more familiar with Darby. In my opinion, Kiser is one of the best middles Ohio has seen the last few years. He is every bit of 6'7 and has an extremely high contact point. He is much more than a solid athlete with a good IQ for the game.

On another note, since Vanguard 18-1 only took 8 players, the 2 team should be pretty strong as well

Side note-VG 18-1 did include a ninth player. 6’7” Upper Arlington lefty. Mark ? Still smaller at 9 players

I did say he was the best in the state, but I don't see him getting recruited to any big schools. I also think Dawson is right there with him.

More familiar with Vanguard than Darby if that's what you meant.

Vanguard's ball control game is going to be outstanding, it looks like.

Pung, as big as he is, is a solid passer, then you basically will have Gallagher and Mikesch passing all the time in S/R as well... that wins a lot of games right there with solid S/R.

Attack's S/R will be decent, but a step below I think. Obviously Attack has a height advantage at MH and OH2, but I think Mikesch plays well above his height as an OH.

Will be interesting to see who comes out on top, an of Air City can get in the mix.

I heard CVA has boys teams this year, anyone know if they'll be any good? Cleveland teams?

lol, that might be changing as the years progress. A lot of boys playing from the olentangy area now.

As a Darby guy, Olentangy will be very very strong this season. Concerned several High Schools up in the Cbus area won’t field a team this year. Westerville South being one of them. Mount Vernon moving from DII to DI this year too.

Here is the Vanguard 17-1 roster:
Proctor - S - Dub. Coffman
Poole - L - Dub. Jerome
Ansel - OH - Darby
McClane - MH - St. Charles
Geise - DS - Darby
Hermosilla- MH -Darby
Little - MH - Olentangy Orange
Grabow - S - Mt. Vernon
Zoll- OH - Northmor
Lancia - OPP - St. Charles