Club Ball

Could you include high schools for those players? I would have expected Miller to be on the top team, and probably Woodson too. Woodson would have been a useful DS unless the OH and OPP on the top team have improved their passing/defense since last year

Could you include high schools for those players? I would have expected Miller to be on the top team, and probably Woodson too. Woodson would have been a useful DS unless the OH and OPP on the top team have improved their passing/defense since last year

Salmons- DS Darby
Margevicius- L/OH St Eds
Woodson- OH Westerville South
Wilson- MB Dublin Jerome
Miller- RS/MB Westerville South
Platfoot- S Darby
Buelow- OH Darby
Lee- S Darby

Salmons- DS Darby
Margevicius- L/OH St Eds
Woodson- OH Westerville South
Wilson- MB Dublin Jerome
Miller- RS/MB Westerville South
Platfoot- S Darby
Buelow- OH Darby
Lee- S Darby

Where's Gallagher from St. Charles? Thought he had been the libero with this group. Is he not playing for Vanguard this year?

Where's Gallagher from St. Charles? Thought he had been the libero with this group. Is he not playing for Vanguard this year?

He's only a junior so he's playing on the 17 national team because he's age qualified and there were several 18 year old liberos. It will be an adjustment because these kids have been in the same group for several years and are now distributed between 3 teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's clear the directors had to make some tough decisions on players. Time will tell if they correctly selected the teams. It's hard to argue with the selections. But I would have had Woodaon on the top team and bowling on the second team.

Here's a couple things to note in my opinion:

For starters, there is a huge difference between Junior and Senior year of volleyball. These age groups are created for a reason.

Attacks top 18's team was very good last year, and while they didn't have the individual talent of Vanguards 18's, they had the extra year of experience. 5 Juniors and a sophomore are hard to overcome at the 18's level.

Vanguards 17's played Attack 17's twice last winter and handled them both times. This was with all of these younger Vanguard guys playing up. And now Vanguard has the best player or 2 from Attack.

The gap between Roman and Cowen is huge in my opinion. I can't think of a skill Roman performs at a higher level than Cowen. Setting could be an issue for Vanguard 18-1 if they want to compete nationally. Cowen's setting location was second to none.

Other than the setting I think Vanguard's top team will be significantly better at every position.

I also think Attack will also have good teams as they always do, but won't have as many of the dynamic athletes as Vanguard.

Here's a couple things to note in my opinion:

For starters, there is a huge difference between Junior and Senior year of volleyball. These age groups are created for a reason.

Attacks top 18's team was very good last year, and while they didn't have the individual talent of Vanguards 18's, they had the extra year of experience. 5 Juniors and a sophomore are hard to overcome at the 18's level.

Vanguards 17's played Attack 17's twice last winter and handled them both times. This was with all of these younger Vanguard guys playing up. And now Vanguard has the best player or 2 from Attack.

The gap between Roman and Cowen is huge in my opinion. I can't think of a skill Roman performs at a higher level than Cowen. Setting could be an issue for Vanguard 18-1 if they want to compete nationally. Cowen's setting location was second to none.

Other than the setting I think Vanguard's top team will be significantly better at every position.

I also think Attack will also have good teams as they always do, but won't have as many of the dynamic athletes as Vanguard.

I agree with you on a few things. 1. There will be a huge difference between Roman and Ian. Roman had a great club season last year - but an embarrassing Nationals. That would explain why the Vanguard directors put 2 setters on the top team. 2. Vanguard will be better than last year. Sure Dejon was a great player - but he simply couldn't perform under pressure - especially considering the fact that he was their "go to". Ie: he choked in the final 4 match at Nationals. Will be interesting if he sees PT at OSU - where there is constant pressure to perform. 3. Attack will still compete. Sure, Vanguard has more talent than us - but there's so much distaste for each other that it's always an emotional match. Much like Michigan & Ohio State. I would expect any time these two go at it - the match will go 3.

Last edited:
I agree that Ian is way better than Roman. To compare them is a complete discredit to every Ian did. Roman is tall and long but that's where it stops. I agree that there isn't a skill he comes close to Ian on. Maybe serving, since this was a weak skill for Ian.

OH- Bowles and either Koenig or Klusman
MH- Kieser and I could see either Witte or Goldschmit
S- Chenoweth and maybe Klusman depending on if he's a OPP or OH, or Bretl also
L- Huber or Egan will be great this year

The loss of Pung and Luers will be rough but I can see them bouncing back

This isnt even comparable. Goldschmidt is much better than Witte.

Can they get a bid there?

It will be interesting to see. I haven't seen them, but with the success that 17's had last year, plus the addition of Bowling, Moldovan, Mikesh, Leurs, Pung and Gerwig, it's certainly possible. Sure they have a chance, but they'll need to finish top 10 of ~60.

Has a team from Ohio attended this tournament? I'm not aware of any. It would be a big statement for Ohio if they can earn a bid there.

Back to reality here fellas...
Chance for a bid at SoCal is next to ZERO
I'm sure they are going for the experience and chance to play the best competition.

I'm sure they are going for the experience and chance to play the best competition.
Why do you say that? I know that team is a competitive bunch of guys who aren't planning on going there for experience, they want to be successful.

a few facts...

interesting opinion. Let's try a little different perspective. HP Stl Royal went to same tourney last year and earned a bid coming in 5th. Vanguard 17-1 finished many spots higher than HP in Chicago although HP was down a man injured. Vanguard beat them in the finals of St Louis. Nationals was different but hey things happen.

The previous thread supports a stronger Vanguard team but we won't know until they play and have a chance to gel. They may very well get crushed although the majority of the boys played high performance over the summer including OVR which did very well. There is a reasonable basis to expect they could earn a bid.

It will be interesting to see. I haven't seen them, but with the success that 17's had last year, plus the addition of Bowling, Moldovan, Mikesh, Leurs, Pung and Gerwig, it's certainly possible. Sure they have a chance, but they'll need to finish top 10 of ~60.

Not sure I agree with this. From what I hear, last year's successful 17's team has been split among 3 teams. Most of that team had been together since 14's year, so they had great chemistry. Not sure what Vanguard coaches were thinking splitting that team up -especially since they were arguably the best club team in Ohio history (at least during the winter). Time will tell if they made the right moves.

Not sure I agree with this. From what I hear, last year's successful 17's team has been split among 3 teams. Most of that team had been together since 14's year, so they had great chemistry. Not sure what Vanguard coaches were thinking splitting that team up -especially since they were arguably the best club team in Ohio history (at least during the winter). Time will tell if they made the right moves.

Yes we will see if their decisions pans out, but last year's 17's was only a portion of those kids that played from 14's. You had Bowling and Moldovan on the 18's, which started the break up. The only ones from the 17's that played since they were 14 are, Swabinsky, Carpenter, Brinkerhoff, Bowling, Moldovan.

The reality in youth sports is that players develop at different paces, some develop early and plateau and others pass them up. Last years 17's were very good, but also remember the best 17's across the country play in the 18's division.

Another point is most of these threads speak of the 17's. The 18's had some great talent in Clarke and Cowen with the addition of some younger highly talented kids, Moldovan, Mikesch, and Gerwig. Over the season they greatly improved and with the work at HPC and the weight room these kids are showing great improvement. Adding the others from the 17's and Pung and Luers from Cinnci makes a very athletic team, which they seem to get along well.

It will be fun to watch how they gel

Yes we will see if their decisions pans out, but last year's 17's was only a portion of those kids that played from 14's. You had Bowling and Moldovan on the 18's, which started the break up. The only ones from the 17's that played since they were 14 are, Swabinsky, Carpenter, Brinkerhoff, Bowling, Moldovan.

The reality in youth sports is that players develop at different paces, some develop early and plateau and others pass them up. Last years 17's were very good, but also remember the best 17's across the country play in the 18's division.

Another point is most of these threads speak of the 17's. The 18's had some great talent in Clarke and Cowen with the addition of some younger highly talented kids, Moldovan, Mikesch, and Gerwig. Over the season they greatly improved and with the work at HPC and the weight room these kids are showing great improvement. Adding the others from the 17's and Pung and Luers from Cinnci makes a very athletic team, which they seem to get along well.

It will be fun to watch how they gel
Agreed that it will be fun to watch and that players mature at different stages. Also thought last year's 18's team had more talent, but they certainly underachieved for most of the year.

I don't think Moldovan was on the team as a 14. Weren't Woodson and Gallagher on that team as well. Lee and Miller were with that group last year. I don't think they were with them as 14's, but it had been at least two years from what I can remember.

Agreed that it will be fun to watch and that players mature at different stages. Also thought last year's 18's team had more talent, but they certainly underachieved for most of the year.

I don't think Moldovan was on the team as a 14. Weren't Woodson and Gallagher on that team as well. Lee and Miller were with that group last year. I don't think they were with them as 14's, but it had been at least two years from what I can remember.

Not sure about Moldovan, but yes Woodson and Gallagher, with Lee and Miller. It is hard to compare players year to year as they grow, mature etc. The big factor last year was gelling as a team and having that player to unite them, not sure they had that.

Not sure about Moldovan, but yes Woodson and Gallagher, with Lee and Miller. It is hard to compare players year to year as they grow, mature etc. The big factor last year was gelling as a team and having that player to unite them, not sure they had that.

You're probably right. Cowen and Clark were the obvious leaders from a skill standpoint, but both were pretty quiet. Not taking anything away from any of the guys from that 18's team last year. There was some obvious talent. Just kinda shows that sometimes teamwork is just as important as talent.

I would like to see this year's 18's team do well. I know some of these guys have been bashed on this site. Would like to see them live up to their potential and go out on a high note.

You're probably right. Cowen and Clark were the obvious leaders from a skill standpoint, but both were pretty quiet. Not taking anything away from any of the guys from that 18's team last year. There was some obvious talent. Just kinda shows that sometimes teamwork is just as important as talent.

I would like to see this year's 18's team do well. I know some of these guys have been bashed on this site. Would like to see them live up to their potential and go out on a high note.

Being bashed is just not right, these kids all are trying to be the best they can and go out to succeed. They will make mistakes or just have a bad day, but all want to win, regardless of teams or sport. IMO

The reality is that they all want to play at the highest level and working towards it, but not all will be offered to play at the highest level.

Its rumored that the Vanguard 18-1 team is scrimmaging OSU's practice squad in early November at St. Johns Arena
I also heard that Vanguard was taking a trip out west for a few scrimmages against Stanford, UCLA, UC Irvine, and Pepperdine. This should prepare them well for taking the easy first place at the SoCal tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if they make an appearance in the 2020 Olympics either.

I also heard that Vanguard was taking a trip out west for a few scrimmages against Stanford, UCLA, UC Irvine, and Pepperdine. This should prepare them well for taking the easy first place at the SoCal tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if they make an appearance in the 2020 Olympics either.

Someone sounds a little peanut butter and jealous that their team/son isn't going to the SoCal tourney.

Ignite, Phoenix, A2, Elite or anyone else going to have a surprise team. Everyone in a while one of these clubs will have a good team. Any thoughts or insight?