Club Ball

yello

How will club volleyball in the state be this year? Which teams will be good, and which ones may not do too hot?

Vangaurd 18 will be the top team this year. With the likely additions of Mikesch, Bowling, and Moldovan they should theoretically be even better than last year.

Cinci Attack will be solid and about even with Vanguard at all age groups besides 18

Ignite will slot in a couple notches below these two, but still above Air City

Air City 18 team last year was one of the best they have had in awhile, don't think they had much coming up through the younger ages

Don't know enough about other clubs from around the state to speculate how they will be (Cinci Thunder, Advancement Academy, Elite, etc)

Mikesch, Bowling and Moldovan were on that same team last year and while they are phenomenal players, along with others, the team still didn't get a bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that team was good but very young. It's hard to get a bid at the 18's level with the youth they had starting. Has this been done before?
Sophomore- Mikesch
Junior- Bowling
Junior- Moldovan
Junior- Gerwig
Junior- Salmons

Will this Vanguard 18s team be good in comparison to the rest of the country or just the state?

They should compete vs the best in the nation. My guess is top 15 in open. Does anyone know which qualifiers they're attending?

Yes that team was good but very young. It's hard to get a bid at the 18's level with the youth they had starting. Has this been done before?
Sophomore- Mikesch
Junior- Bowling
Junior- Moldovan
Junior- Gerwig
Junior- Salmons

To be fair, Gerwig and Salmons rarely played. I wouldn't be surprised if those two get left off the 18-1 team this year.

By the end of Mikesch's high school career, he will be on the very short list of great liberos Ohio has produced. I think he is the only surefire upgrade that Vanguard gets from the players who played on 18 last year

It will be interesting to see who is on the top team. I agree with the comment about Parker. He is unbelievable and just starting his junior year. I think Moldovan is a surefire upgrade for the team. He's a special player IMO.

VbdadOH, you seem to be more in the know with Vanguard then myself. Here would be my starting lineup for the Vanguard 18 team. Thoughts?

They should definitely run a 5-1 IMO
S Szwabinsky
OH1 Topp
OH2 Bowling, Brinkerhoff, Woodson, Gerwig
MH1 Miller
MH2 Moldovan
OPP Bowling, Brinkerhoff
L Mikesch

Think Woodson acts as a DS if he isn't a starting outside

The bold ones are who I would start, but the other options are solid if a player is struggling

To be fair, Gerwig and Salmons rarely played. I wouldn't be surprised if those two get left off the 18-1 team this year.

By the end of Mikesch's high school career, he will be on the very short list of great liberos Ohio has produced. I think he is the only surefire upgrade that Vanguard gets from the players who played on 18 last year

Actually the starting OH's for the 18-1's were Clark and Gerwig

VbdadOH, you seem to be more in the know with Vanguard then myself. Here would be my starting lineup for the Vanguard 18 team. Thoughts?

They should definitely run a 5-1 IMO
S Szwabinsky
OH1 Topp
OH2 Bowling, Brinkerhoff, Woodson, Gerwig
MH1 Miller
MH2 Moldovan
OPP Bowling, Brinkerhoff
L Mikesch

Think Woodson acts as a DS if he isn't a starting outside

The bold ones are who I would start, but the other options are solid if a player is struggling

Topp not playing,
OH1 - Gerwig
OH2 - Brinkerhoff, Pung
MH1 - Moldovan
MH2 - ???
Opp - Bowling
L - Mikesch
S - ???

Most of the time I saw them, Jackson Gilbert was the other starting outside. When I did see Gerwig play for them, he passed better than Gilbert, but was nowhere near the same level as an attacking option

USAV A1 players from Vanguard

Bowling, Gerwig, Szwabinsky
Mikesch - National Training Team

FYI

A new year and in about a week teams should be solidified

Pung from Cincinnati St Xavier is switching up to Vanguard? How come Topp isn't playing? I thought it was between him and Szwabinsky for the best player on Vanguard 17 team last year

Pung from Cincinnati St Xavier is switching up to Vanguard? How come Topp isn't playing? I thought it was between him and Szwabinsky for the best player on Vanguard 17 team last year

Pung plus a player from Moeller. Can't explain the reason for Topp, just the line.

I guess top teams attract talent

Wow, the loss of Topp will be tough to overcome. The additions of Pung and Luers adds another wrinkle into selecting the team.

So who's see ting for Attacks top team? Roberts?

I believe Chenoweth (sp?) was the #1 setter for Attack in winter. Don't think he played in the summer though. This would be my guess for the Attack top team at 18s

S Chenoweth/Klusman
OH1 Bowles
OH2 Pung(?)/Lonneman/Bretl/Chico
MH Kiser
MH Hendy/Luenberger
OPP Koenig/Klusman
L Huber/Egan or the kid from Puerto Rico who was on 17-1 last year

A lot of positions up in the air for this group

I just heard that the final 18-1 roster for Vanguard is:
Luers-S/DS
Szwabinsky-S
Moldovan-M
Carpenter-M
Northmont Middle- not sure of his name
Mikesch-L
Gerwig-OH
Brinkerhoff-OH
Pung-OH
Bowling-RS

Sounds like Pung playing for Vanguard is finalized then?

Solid looking team, some talented, but inconsistent players. Comparing to last years Vanguard 18 team, I would say they are slightly better.

Cowen-Szwabinsky: Cowen runs better offense, but Szwabinsky has tons of potential. Gap between them is not very large

OH - Edge last year. Clarke was the go to last year, and in my opinion heads above any other outside on this years team. The second outside I would give the advantage to this years team

MH - This years team has a huge edge. Moldovan with another year of experience, with whichever other middle will surely be an upgrade

OPP - Toss-up

L - Mikesch 2016 vs Mikesch 2017

Sounds like Pung playing for Vanguard is finalized then?

Solid looking team, some talented, but inconsistent players. Comparing to last years Vanguard 18 team, I would say they are slightly better.

Cowen-Szwabinsky: Cowen runs better offense, but Szwabinsky has tons of potential. Gap between them is not very large

OH - Edge last year. Clarke was the go to last year, and in my opinion heads above any other outside on this years team. The second outside I would give the advantage to this years team

MH - This years team has a huge edge. Moldovan with another year of experience, with whichever other middle will surely be an upgrade

OPP - Toss-up

L - Mikesch 2016 vs Mikesch 2017

Based on the work many of these players put in in the off season this should be a stronger team. Clarke definitely was a top player and tough to replace but expect the unexpected.

Will anyone in Ohio challenge them this year?

Attack will certainly challenge them. I would expect Vanguard to win the majority of games, but it seems like a couple of the new posters are trying to belittle the Cincinnati teams/players...

Don't forget that last year Attack 18s beat Vanguard 18s all but once. Even with Vanguard having two of the biggest recruits to come out of Ohio in the last few years

I believe Chenoweth (sp?) was the #1 setter for Attack in winter. Don't think he played in the summer though. This would be my guess for the Attack top team at 18s

S Chenoweth/Klusman
OH1 Bowles
OH2 Pung(?)/Lonneman/Bretl/Chico
MH Kiser
MH Hendy/Luenberger
OPP Koenig/Klusman
L Huber/Egan or the kid from Puerto Rico who was on 17-1 last year

A lot of positions up in the air for this group
OH- Bowles and either Koenig or Klusman
MH- Kieser and I could see either Witte or Goldschmit
S- Chenoweth and maybe Klusman depending on if he's a OPP or OH, or Bretl also
L- Huber or Egan will be great this year

The loss of Pung and Luers will be rough but I can see them bouncing back

I don't foresee Attack being able to compete with Vanguards top team. The real question is Attack 18-1 vs Vanguard 18-2 IMO