Cleveland Guardians

I’m going to use my minority status to trump you. My great grandfather was a full blooded Cherokee, and despite being very white, Im still technically 1/16th Indian. Changing the name was stupid. I get Redskin being changed, but Indians, Braves, Chiefs are all fine.

Well, like it or not, the name was changed. Can't do anything about it. No matter what name was chosen, different people will be dissatisfied. I'm more disappointed that the Dolans went half-a**ed and kept everything the same, including an outdated logo. If you were going to make a change, then do it; don't just modify the old lettering and colors. No matter what the name is, the continued use of the similar patterns will make everyone think of the Indians. So, introduce something bold and exciting. But then, no one has ever accused the Dolans of being bold and exciting.

Well, like it or not, the name was changed. Can't do anything about it. No matter what name was chosen, different people will be dissatisfied. I'm more disappointed that the Dolans went half-a**ed and kept everything the same, including an outdated logo. If you were going to make a change, then do it; don't just modify the old lettering and colors. No matter what the name is, the continued use of the similar patterns will make everyone think of the Indians. So, introduce something bold and exciting. But then, no one has ever accused the Dolans of being bold and exciting.
However, they are as cheap as the day is long.

Pray it's the new New Coke. Psyche!

Should of went with the Cleveland "Erie Cats".
They could of made a great logo with that.

Might of offended a few cats though I guess.

I'm surprised they didn't mix it up more just thinking it would sell more merch.

Nashville Guardians has a nice ring to it.

I suspect Brian will blame this all on Tito.

I know owner Paul Dolan felt tremendous pressure to change the name of the team. In 2018, I interviewed Dolan about dropping the Chief Wahoo logo. He said straight out, there was no intention of changing the team name.

Here’s the exact quote from 3 1/2 years ago:

“Not only are we adamant about keeping the name Indians, but the Commissioner (Rob Manfred) is similarly supportive of the name. Yes, some people will continue to make noise about that, but I’m not troubled by its use. The Commissioner is not troubled by the use of the name. We are confident the name will continue on.”

There were no plans to change the name until the murder of George Floyd and all the social unrest and change of 13 months ago (May 25, 2020). It came up right after the NFL’s Washington
So you still don’t prove how MLB pressured the team to change. If anything your quote makes it appear that pressure from both outside the Indians organization and MLB caused the change.

Not sure what's more pathetic...changing the name in the first place or the new name. Instead of doing something incorporating Lake Erie or maybe the Rock and Roll heritage (or going with Tribe) they come up with something generic...there are minor league teams with better names. Of course these are the same people who gave us the generic block C as a logo. Speaking of logos how long will it take some atheists to claim they are offended by the Angel wings.

And if I have to hear one more time from these buffoons how Indians was divisive in the city and Guardians will be unifying...
The name is not divisive in the community, Chief Wahoo was not divisive in the community. The changes are divisive in the community.

Indians and Chief Wahoo gear will be prevalent at the games no matter what they call themselves. And dont worry, these disingenuous virtue signaling fools will continue to sell both despite it being so offensive.

So you still don’t prove how MLB pressured the team to change. If anything your quote makes it appear that pressure from both outside the Indians organization and MLB caused the change.
I proved Dolan is a cheap liar.

Also, it’s known that if they hadn’t dropped Chief Wahoo, the ASG was gonna get pulled from Cleveland.

Get a clue

Not sure what's more pathetic...changing the name in the first place or the new name. Instead of doing something incorporating Lake Erie or maybe the Rock and Roll heritage (or going with Tribe) they come up with something generic...there are minor league teams with better names. Of course these are the same people who gave us the generic block C as a logo. Speaking of logos how long will it take some atheists to claim they are offended by the Angel wings.

And if I have to hear one more time from these buffoons how Indians was divisive in the city and Guardians will be unifying...
The name is not divisive in the community, Chief Wahoo was not divisive in the community. The changes are divisive in the community.

Indians and Chief Wahoo gear will be prevalent at the games no matter what they call themselves. And dont worry, these disingenuous virtue signaling fools will continue to sell both despite it being so offensive.
If the Dolans were serious, they would return all Indians trademarks to the public domain

Reactions: y2h
I proved Dolan is a cheap liar.

Also, it’s known that if they hadn’t dropped Chief Wahoo, the ASG was gonna get pulled from Cleveland.

Get a clue
So if Dolan sells the team, can the new owners change it back to the Indians? Heck, I bet most would had been ok with a compromise to change the name to the Tribe, it's unofficial nickname. Tribe isn't racist. Any group of people can be referred to as a Tribe.

So if Dolan sells the team, can the new owners change it back to the Indians? Heck, I bet most would had been ok with a compromise to change the name to the Tribe, it's unofficial nickname. Tribe isn't racist. Any group of people can be referred to as a Tribe.
I don't see why not, but the a hole Commish wouldn't like it, that's for sure.

I don't see why not, but the a hole Commish wouldn't like it, that's for sure.
I believe this has a lot more to do with advertisers as anything else. When companies started getting pressure from groups/“customers” to stop their endorsements if the team didn’t make a change. So basically a small group complained, but their voice was loud.

I wonder what the Cleveland guardians roller derby team thinks of this
The fact that the organization wasn't aware of the existence of this roller derby team underlines how lazy and lame the name change is. I'm guessing they could've Googled "Cleveland Guardians" and found something pertaining to the roller derby team. To be clear, I don't care that Dolan decided to change the name. If I spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a business, I will name it and rename it whatever I want if I think it'll increase the company's future value. However, there was an opportunity to do something much better than what was unveiled last week. It would seem that very little was put into the effort, and the resulting name is indicative of it.

they should have tried to come up with a burning river nickname. guardians lol. now the kids in the neighborhood have to play cowboys and guardians. lol

jtk
()

Goodbye Cleveland Baseball,take it wherever rich Dolan Family...I salute Chief Wahoo forever...BAM!

So I wonder if the media pundits will be brainwashed like they were for the Washington Redskins? Notice they NEVER EVER say Redskins? It's like that word has been stricken from their language? How long before the state of Indiana has to change their name because it looks and sounds like Indian?
Just thought of this, for the people of the country of India, what are they called? Wouldn't it be Indians?