Cleveland Guardians

Team reportedly named for the "Guardians of Traffic" sculptures which adorn the bridge which leads to the stadium.

Team reportedly named for the "Guardians of Traffic" sculptures which adorn the bridge which leads to the stadium.

Jesus, that’s even worse.

I'm not a Cleveland guy, so as an outsider, those bridge sculptures are pretty bad. Why is it worse? If anything, I think the name pays tribute to the city better than honoring the fact that they had one native American on the team back in the day.

Guardians has been a suggested name for a while, and I've seen some designers come up with good logo concepts before today. I like incorporating the wings, but that plain baseball is unnecessary. The "Guardians" wordmark leaves a lot to be desired for me too.

I hate logos with the ball in the sport on them. It's almost as bad as an NBA team having a logo of a basketball going through a hoop ... Oh wait the Cavs did that ?

It was cheap, so the Dolans picked it.
If the new logo was actually inspired by the guardians of traffic statues, they're one step away from a baseball head mascot with wings for ears. So maybe look for a trade with the Mets or Reds soon - used mascot suit for a player to named later?

If the new logo was actually inspired by the guardians of traffic statues, they're one step away from a baseball head mascot with wings for ears. So maybe look for a trade with the Mets or Reds soon - used mascot suit for a player to named later?
You mean the Metropolitans and Redlegs?

FB_IMG_1627056636820.jpg

Logo reminds me of this

• Love
Reactions: y2h
I think it's pretty obvious what's going on. With this name, cheapskate Dolan only has to replace about half of the script "Indians" sign above the scoreboard.
Never mind that the Dolans are about the fifth highest ownership team in baseball based on net worth.

I'm not a Cleveland guy, so as an outsider, those bridge sculptures are pretty bad. Why is it worse? If anything, I think the name pays tribute to the city better than honoring the fact that they had one native American on the team back in the day.

Guardians has been a suggested name for a while, and I've seen some designers come up with good logo concepts before today. I like incorporating the wings, but that plain baseball is unnecessary. The "Guardians" wordmark leaves a lot to be desired for me too.
Kinda like "Yankees", which by all accounts is a derogatory term.

But it's an insult mostly to white males, so it passes.

Oh, if you don’t think MLB is involved in this, you’re fooling yourself.

I know almost no Indians fans that have an issue with the name.
Well, sure. It's clearly a vocal minority. But even if MLB is applying pressure, it wasn't a non-negotiable. You see Braves ownership caving?

I know owner Paul Dolan felt tremendous pressure to change the name of the team. In 2018, I interviewed Dolan about dropping the Chief Wahoo logo. He said straight out, there was no intention of changing the team name.

Here’s the exact quote from 3 1/2 years ago:

“Not only are we adamant about keeping the name Indians, but the Commissioner (Rob Manfred) is similarly supportive of the name. Yes, some people will continue to make noise about that, but I’m not troubled by its use. The Commissioner is not troubled by the use of the name. We are confident the name will continue on.”

There were no plans to change the name until the murder of George Floyd and all the social unrest and change of 13 months ago (May 25, 2020). It came up right after the NFL’s Washington