Class of 2022

bomberinmonroe

Another week of play, and another sophomore moved into the lineup with Rohmiller as the placekicker. I think that makes 8-9 sophomores getting regular play on a varsity team that’s 3-0 and has looked damn good doing it.

It begs the question though, are the juniors and senior classes this year not as deep with talent, or are the sophomores just that good? I didn’t make the trip to Penn, but they don’t look out of place. Makes me wonder if this is the class that by their senior year will rival the ‘07 team.

Time will tell however it is a bit premature to compare to the '07 class. I think some of the playing time is due to the lack of overall talent in the senior class, particularly the offensive line. I think the Indy Cathedral will be the true test of this team's talent level. Colerain had to replace a lot of two year starters from last year's team. They will be a different team come playoffs.

Whether or not this class will rival '07 is TBD however the playing experience they are gaining as sophomores is invaluable and will certain benefit next year

No doubt this class is loaded.
*playing on varsity this year as a sophomore

Offense
QB: Brogan McCaughey: 6’1” 175lb, rotating with Wyche on JV
QB: Jack Wyche: grandson of former Bengals coach, rotating with McCaughey on JV
QB: *Max Klare: 6’4” 196lb: kicks off on varsity and backup QB to Rueve on varsity
RB: *Luke Vrsansky: 5’8” 170lb: returns punts on varsity and splits time at RB on varsity with Newman
RB: Charles Kellom: 5’10” 165lb: starting RB on JV, accounts for majority of rushing yardage
WR: Terrell McFarlin: 5'11" 165lb starting WR on JV, accounts for majority of receiving yardage
TE: Cade Czarnecki 6’3” 190lb: starting TE on JV, will battle junior Jack McGinnis (6’4” 201lb) for varsity PT next season
OL: *Cameron Collins: 6’4” 231lb: starting left tackle on varsity
OL: *Brian Parker: 6’4” 240lb: starting left guard on varsity
OL: *Jack Renneker: 6’2” 225lb: varsity backup at left guard
PK: *Mason Rohmiller: 6’1” 160lb: varsity starting place kicker in Week 3

Defense
DL: Colin Poneris: 6’1” 210lb: starting DLineman on JV
DL: Sam Buerkle: 6’4” 233lb: starting DLineman on JV, bigger than both starting DE on varsity
DL: LaVeall Trimble: 6’0” 210lb: starting DLineman on JV
DL: Grant Lyons: 6’1” 190lbs: starting JV DLineman, converted from LB
CB: *Josh Anderson: 5’10” 160lb: starting CB on varsity
CB: *Ryan Nolan: 6’3” 175lb: starting CB on varsity, converted QB
LB: Marque Cunningham: 6’0” 187lb: starting LB on JV, converted CB
LB: Sean Reilly: 6’1” 190lb, starting LB on JV
S: *Elijah Kirk: 6’0” 174lb: starting varsity in nickel packages and backup

Anybody know how to access last years records for freshmen and JV?
The new website doesn't have any archived results for previous year.

The players in this class last year as freshmen were on 3 different teams: JV, Freshmen Blue and Freshmen White
This year 9 are on varsity and the other 11 I listed above are on JV
Currently the varsity is 3-0 and the JV 2-0

I asked because I know LS beat X last year on the freshman level and I was wondering is the good players were playing up. Seems that may be partly the case.

The class of 2020 went 5-5 last year on the Blue team. They lost to LS last year on a last second pass for TD. Everybody on the Blue team played as St X often does with their freshman teams, hoping to get everyone a chance to develop rather than playing to win football games. They went 0-3 in GCL games

I believe that the JV ended up at 6-4 having won the last two games (St Iggy and Highlands). Several players from the class of 2022 were moved up to play in those last two games. The 3 o-line players (Collins, Parker, Renneker), Vrsanski at RB/FL, Buerkle on DL, and Rohmiller at K.

I asked because I know LS beat X last year on the freshman level and I was wondering is the good players were playing up. Seems that may be partly the case.
Some of the top players from the freshman team played JV last year. Namely the Quarterbacks McCaughey and Klare and Marquee Cunningham, RB Luke Vrsansky also got moved up to JV. I believe some of the O line played up as well.

Thanks, guys. Sounds like X has a nice sophomore class. LS may have the best individual player, though. Should be some fun football the next couple years on North Bend.

I seen a lot of comments about Vrsansky. It is always impressive when a sophomore earns playing time but after looking at the stats I am wondering how good he is?

Against Brownsburg his stat line was 13 carries 67 yard 5.2 avg but if you take out his 47 yard run the line is 12 20 1.6
Against Colerain the line was 6 carries 16 yards 2.7
Against Penn 6 carries 22 yards 3.7 but take out 12 yard run and the line is 5 carries 10 yards 2.0

Again I understand he is a sophomore but those numbers don't scream big time player. Is he too small to be a feature back in the GCL? Is he better suited for a slot receiver?

Vrsansky is also running a new offense, behind a young offensive line learning to run block at the Varsity level. Not sure why you want to take away his long runs, as those plays did happen and showcase his potential. He also does a great job on punt returns that provide the team with improved field position. I am not sure that he will be a "featured" back going forward as the St. X offense tends to be very balanced (run vs. pass) in it's game planning.

I seen a lot of comments about Vrsansky. It is always impressive when a sophomore earns playing time but after looking at the stats I am wondering how good he is?

Against Brownsburg his stat line was 13 carries 67 yard 5.2 avg but if you take out his 47 yard run the line is 12 20 1.6
Against Colerain the line was 6 carries 16 yards 2.7
Against Penn 6 carries 22 yards 3.7 but take out 12 yard run and the line is 5 carries 10 yards 2.0

Again I understand he is a sophomore but those numbers don't scream big time player. Is he too small to be a feature back in the GCL? Is he better suited for a slot receiver?

Having him in the slot may be a good use of his skill set, he’s really shifty, and gets from zero to top speed quickly. For those who remember Scott Sollman at X, the skills seem very similar, as well as the size.

I think the running numbers aren’t indicative of his quality though, X has not been able to run the ball yet, no matter who’s carrying it. The offense seems much more pass oriented, with just enough running to keep defenses honest, and the line is relatively lightweight, aside from the RG.

I’d really like to see them run more traps, delays, and counters, and throw in a shovel pass or two.

Vrsansky is also running a new offense, behind a young offensive line learning to run block at the Varsity level. Not sure why you want to take away his long runs, as those plays did happen and showcase his potential. He also does a great job on punt returns that provide the team with improved field position. I am not sure that he will be a "featured" back going forward as the St. X offense tends to be very balanced (run vs. pass) in it's game planning.

My post was not intended to diminish his contributions. It was made in the context of sophomores earning significant playing time on varsity. The reason i "took away" the long runs was to understand how he is doing overall. I would imagine his longer runs, particularly the 47 yard was due to getting him out in space. It may be more challenging to have a small running back especially if the line is still a work in progress. I would be more inclined to take his skill set and move him to the slot.

I think when people hear about a RB playing as a sophomore they think Darius Ashley or Scott Sollman. I am not sure earning playing time, while impressive, necessarily puts him in that category.

At X, the JV and freshman teams are used for development.
If a freshman can compete at the JV or varsity level they move up.
The goal is to get them varsity ready ASAP

2020 StX Depth Chart

Offense
QB #18 Max Klare Jr. 6’4” 196lb / #15 Brogan McCaughey Jr. 6'1" 180lb
RB #31 Luke Vrsansky Jr. 5'8” 170lb / Charles Kellom Jr. 5’10” 170lb
TE #49 Jack McGinnis Sr. 6’4” 201lb / Cade Czarnecki Jr. 6’3” 190lb / Joe Wassler So. 6'3" 180lb
WR #2 Liam Clifford Sr. 6’2” 190lb / #81 Lucas Cates Jr. 6'1” 170lb
WR #14 Jalen Patterson Sr. 6’1” 195lb / Terrell McFarlin Jr. / Jimmy Ryan Jr. 6'0" 155lb
Slot Receiver Andrew Britt Sr. 5’11” 154lb / Alex Kemper Jr. 5'11" 155lb
LT #74 Cameron Collins Jr. 6’4” 231lb / Jack Larsen Jr.
LG #77 Jack Renneker Jr. 6'2” 225lb / Kyle Lamping Jr.
C #75 Brian Parker Jr. 6'4” 248lb / Jordan Ruther Jr. 6'1" 220lb
RG #72 Jake Sizemore Sr. 6'5” 243lb / Matt Prophater Jr. 6'1" 249lb
RT #53 Michael Whitehouse Sr. 6'4” 219lb / #71 Jack Wassler Sr. 6’7” 296lb
PK #21 Mason Rohmiller Jr. 6’1” 160lb

Defense
LE #91 Sam Buerkle Jr. 6'4” 233lb / Colin Poneris Jr. 6'1" 205lb
NG #96 Gio Albanese Sr. 6’0” 255lb / Nick Uhl Jr.
RE #43 Grant Lyons Jr. 6’2” 200lb / LaVeall Trimble Jr. 6'0" 200lb
OLB (Will) Sean Reilly Jr. 6'1" 190lb/ Nick Schaeper Jr.
ILB (Sam) #32 Matt Devine Sr. 6’0” 210lb / #33 Danny Kirk Sr. 5'10" 193lb
OLB (Jet) Marque Cummings Jr. 6'0" 187lb / Andrew Monzel Jr. 5'11" 172lb
Adj #23 Gabe DuBois Sr. 5'9” 160lb / Joe Nelson Jr.
SS #3 Dylan Overbeck Sr. 6’1” 190lb / Jack Wildfeuer Jr. 5'7" 130lb
FS #28 Eli Kirk Jr. 6'0” 174lb / Amare Leslie Jr.
CB #13 Ryan Nolan Jr. 6'3" 175lb
CB #19 Josh Anderson Jr. 5'10" 160lb

Last edited:
Projected 13 junior starters for next year, with at least half of them getting some good playing time this year. Really like the way E. Kirk has been playing, might be a good replacement for Hundley in the backfield.

The offensive linemen are generally holding their own, and I imagine a year in the weight room will put some more weight on them.

Thanks, guys. Sounds like X has a nice sophomore class. LS may have the best individual player, though. Should be some fun football the next couple years on North Bend.
Elder has a sophomore named Ramsey who could garner some mention as the best individual player in the league for the sophomore class.

Is the question best sophomores in the league or that we have seen in city? This year the best sophomores I have seen regardless of league are payne, Ramsey, renneker, Parker, Hilvert, Hicks,vransky ,and kid from Colerain(can’t remember his name

Is the question best sophomores in the league or that we have seen in city? This year the best sophomores I have seen regardless of league are payne, Ramsey, renneker, Parker, Hilvert, Hicks,vransky ,and kid from Colerain(can’t remember his name

I think we were talking about GCLS, but city is good too. Can you list the schools with all those folks? I know most, but not all.

Vransky X Hicks Alter Hilvert Taylor Parker X Renneker X Ramsey Elder. I forgot to mention Hambleton as well. I’m hearing that he may never start at QB because Ramsey will move there.

Projected 13 junior starters for next year, with at least half of them getting some good playing time this year. Really like the way E. Kirk has been playing, might be a good replacement for Hundley in the backfield.

The offensive linemen are generally holding their own, and I imagine a year in the weight room will put some more weight on them.

The QB competition between the 3 juniors next summer should be intense.....Klare, McGaughey, Wyche
This will be the biggest question mark going into next season.
All 3 have played well at the JV level.
Klare has gotten some mop up varsity playing time this season (Penn and North Canada) but nothing significant.
Early on Vrsansky and Kellom running behind the experienced OLine can carry the load while the new QB gets up to speed.
Will be important for him to get up to speed quickly because there are multiple receivers to throw to in Clifford, Patterson, Britt and McFarlin and Coverdale's favorites the tight ends McGinnis, Czarnecki and the young Wassler.
All other positions on the offense are covered with experienced players

Defensively the secondary will be sound with returning experience at all positions
Its the front 6 where the competition will be with Albanese and Devine being the only returners with significant varsity experience

Special Teams: with Vrsansky, Rohmiller and Klare all returning will only need to find a punter

Should be a heckuva team the next couple years

With the JV season ending, 4 more players in the Class of 2022 have been added to the 2019 varsity post-season roster

That makes a total of 14 sophomores (Class of 2022) eligible for post season play in the Bomber's quest for a 4th state championship

13 Ryan Nolan CB
15 Brogan McGaughey QB
18 Max Klare QB
19 Josh Anderson CB
21 Mason Rohmiller PK
28 Eli Kirk FS
30 Charles Kellom RB
31 Luke Vrsansky RB
38 Cade Czarnecki TE
43 Grant Lyons DL
74 Cam Collins OL
75 Brian Parker OL
77 Jack Renneker OL
91 Sam Buerkle

Friday I also saw these class of 2022 players on the sideline:

Marquee Cummings LB - playing on special teams
Nick Uhl DL
Andrew Monzel LB
Joe Nelson S
Alex Kemper WR
Jack Wildfuerer (sp) S
Lavalle Trimble DT
Jimmy Ryan WR
Sean Riley LB

Not sure if they are on the official roster or not. Aplolgies if I missed anyone.

By that count there will be 23 sophomores dressing for the Mason game.
Maybe they can get all these sophs in the game if X has a 3 or 4 score lead heading into the 4th

Friday I also saw these class of 2022 players on the sideline:

Marquee Cummings LB - playing on special teams
Nick Uhl DL
Andrew Monzel LB
Joe Nelson S
Alex Kemper WR
Jack Wildfuerer (sp) S
Lavalle Trimble DT
Jimmy Ryan WR
Sean Riley LB

Not sure if they are on the official roster or not. Aplolgies if I missed anyone.

Terrell Mcfarland

Terrell Mcfarland

Next year's receivers will be outstanding.....Clifford, Patterson and Britt all return....McFarlin will be in the rotation.
The battle at tight end will be tremendous with a player from each class....McGinnis Sr., Czarnecki Jr. and Wassler Soph.....all are 6'3"-6'4"
My guess is all 3 will be on varsity contributing.
The 2 RBs catch the ball well....Vrsansky and Kellom.
Klare, McGaughey or someone else will have plenty of targets.
The entire line (less Nate Uhl) returns.

Last edited: