Cincinnati Mileage

Vincent and Regina

I was bored the other day. So I went and created a few Spreadsheets with the help of Google Maps. In this process I looked at the GCL-S, GMC, ECC, and SWOC.

With the GMC and ECC going to 9 league games, I hope the GCL-S can find some friends in the SWOC. SWOC schools have not really played GCL schools in the past, but they seem to be D2 and 3 and could reduce travel issues for both leagues. Harrison has ducked Elder in the past. But I could see decent games with Edgewood, Harrison, or Ross.

GCL.PNG

GMC.PNG

ECC.PNG

SWOC.PNG

Unfortunately, I do not think any SWOC schools would step up. Harrison has taken nothing but brutal beatings from La Salle in the playoffs and I don't see any evidence they'd volunteer for such a thing during the regular season. It's a shame too because it could help those programs.

Winton Woods is Elder's best chance to play a SWOC in the future. I think they are the only school in the SWOC that would be willing to play Elder for their only non-conference game of the season.

It makes too much sense for Winton Woods. They would get a local game not having to travel far. They would get a home and home with Elder bringing a large crowd to Winton Woods. They would get a high quality opponent to prepare them for the SWOC and playoff run. Elder and Winton Woods are in different divisions. There would be no worry about some coaches strategy of not wanting to play a familiar opponent in the playoffs.

Winton Woods is already scheduled to play Trotwood again in week 1 in 2022 an 2023. Unfortunately, Elder would have to look at 2024 for Winton Woods.

Lasalle loses a good week 2 opponent in Winton Woods, because of SWOC switching to a 9 league game schedule.

Winton Woods is in the Eastern Cincinnati Conference.

That's right. Looking again, maybe Anderson, Kings, Milford, West Clermont, or Walnut Hills would step up then. WW is out for next 2 seasons since they are already locked into Trotwood for week 1.

2022 Week 1
GMC

Wayne at Fairfield and at Wayne 2023
Hamilton at West Clermont
Centerville at Lakota East
Mason at Gahanna Lincoln and at Mason 2024
Middletown at Loveland. Mid at Centerville 2024
Turpin at Oak Hills

ECC
Princeton at Anderson
Edgewood at Milford
Walnut Hills at Withrow
Trotwood Madison at Winton Woods and at TM in 2024

Kings not showing a week 1 yet, but it looks like they have two on Sept 2 for some reason.
Sycamore not showing a week 1 yet, but it shows home against Kings on Sept 2. I believe that must be meant for week 1?
Colerain not showing a week 1 yet.
Lakota West not showing a week 1 yet, but it shows Sept 2 at West Clermont. That won't work?

Last edited:
I wonder if some of these games were entered into the scheduling software before the OHSAA decided to add another round to the playoffs and had to move up Week 1.

With the GMC and ECC going to 9 league games, that basically ends Elder's chance at scheduling any of those schools. The only ECC school that was willing to play Elder recently was Winton Woods, and they have a better chance of beating a Trotwood Madison than an Elder so they will stick with them.

Lakota West is going to go with X for their non-league. Spect and Boden are friends and that game is the set.
Moeller has been on the GMC do not get along with list for awhile so, so I don't see them playing any GMC or ECC teams.
LaSalle could possibly get Winton Woods or Colerain in week 1.

I could go into the rest of the GMC and ECC but minus Winton Woods no ECC school has played Elder. A lot of the GMC set up home and homes with a GWOC ( another source for games) so GMC teams aren't an option.

Harrison has been afraid of their own shadow for years. No ways they have the guts to play Elder or any other GCL school. Mt Healthy and Northwest are in the same boat I don't see them growing a pair.

Elder should try and sweet talk Edgewood, Ross, and Talwanda in to home and homes.

Why the hell would we play any of those 3 schools? Win by 40 and get very little Harbins.

for what it’s worth, the schedule for this year is done, so no point speculating.

Why the hell would we play any of those 3 schools? Win by 40 and get very little Harbins.

for what it’s worth, the schedule for this year is done, so no point speculating.
Who is week 9?

With 16 out of 18 making it, I would like shorter road trips. If you win 2 games you make the playoffs.

With the GMC and ECC going to 9 league games, that basically ends Elder's chance at scheduling any of those schools. The only ECC school that was willing to play Elder recently was Winton Woods, and they have a better chance of beating a Trotwood Madison than an Elder so they will stick with them.

Lakota West is going to go with X for their non-league. Spect and Boden are friends and that game is the set.
Moeller has been on the GMC do not get along with list for awhile so, so I don't see them playing any GMC or ECC teams.
LaSalle could possibly get Winton Woods or Colerain in week 1.

I could go into the rest of the GMC and ECC but minus Winton Woods no ECC school has played Elder. A lot of the GMC set up home and homes with a GWOC ( another source for games) so GMC teams aren't an option.

Harrison has been afraid of their own shadow for years. No ways they have the guts to play Elder or any other GCL school. Mt Healthy and Northwest are in the same boat I don't see them growing a pair.

Elder should try and sweet talk Edgewood, Ross, and Talwanda in to home and homes.
Most of the Schools you speak of here are D2. You say those teams won’t grow a pair. Why would Elder want to sweet talk or play any of those D2 Schools besides Winton Woods?

Most of the Schools you speak of here are D2. You say those teams won’t grow a pair. Why would Elder want to sweet talk or play any of those D2 Schools besides Winton Woods?
Travel. A bus ride to Oxford or Edgewood has to be cheaper than a bus trip to Louisville or Indianapolis.

Granted 16 out of 25 make in in D2 and D3, so the numbers are a little different then D1. They might not want to take the risk, but Elder has very little risk.

When looking at Harbin numbers the division you play in doesn't matter as much as how many wins you/ your opponents have.

In 2021 Elder got a total of 16.50813 Harbin Points.

5.0569 from D2 CovCath
5.7832 from D1 Moeller
1.2818 from D3 Football North
4.3862 from D2 LaSalle

Not a big difference from D1 or D2 schools.

Look at 2019 for a better display.

2.6603 D1 Gahanna
5.5485 D2 Cathedral
2.8758 D7 Clearwater Academy
4.0005 D1 Ryle
5.8562 D1 X
1.6809 D1 Moeller
4.4144 D2 Winton Woods
2.2510 D3 Football North

Total of 29.28763

In 2019 Elder got more points off a D2 Cathedral, D2 Winton Woods, and a D3 Football North than D1 Moeller.

Number of wins your opponent has is worth more than the size of school.

So I was even more bored and got to thinking of 2021 ECC and GMC games. Turns out in 2021 they had four ECC vs GMC games. So that leaves 6 teams that played ECC schools and 6 teams that played GMC schools looking for games.

I then looked at the SWOC and found that Edgewood vs Hamilton and Talawanda vs Little Miami are going away. Harrison vs East Central isn't going away, it is a big rivalry game. The other three games in the SWOC Mt Healthy vs Ponitz, Northwest vs Indiana Hill, and Ross vs Monroe seem safe or could just be one off games. I am not familiar with these games as to know if is important to the schools.

So teams that played a GMC/ECC school in week 2 of 2021 that could be open are: Granted I know the Coldwater vs Oak Hills was a one year contract, but some of those could have been multi year deals.

Clinton Massie
Miamisburg
Talawanda
Dublin Coffman
Withrow
LaSalle
X
Springfield
Edgewood
Centerville
Coldwater

1642642746045.png

Ross announced it is bolting the SWOC for the SWBL. I think Edgewood is going too, so those teams will probably have more league games and I assume the SWOC is going to die soon. That may leave Harrison, Mount Healthy and Northwest with some open dates in the next couple years.

Why are they leaving?

Where will Harrison end up? They probably can’t go to the ECC. GMC?
Harrison is likely too small for GMC ... they'd get blown off every field and court except for the wrestling mats. They are way too far west for the ECC. Probably too big for CHL. I kind of think they're screwed and may have to do the Winton Woods nomad thing for a while.

As for Ross, I assume the scheduling in the SWOC is a nightmare at the freshman and JV levels with some schools not being able to field teams. When Edgewood goes, Mount Healthy, Northwest and Talawanda are all that's left.

From the WCPO Cincinnati High School Sports Facebook page.

Ross AD Jake Richards just announced Ross is leaving the Southwest Ohio Conference to join the Southwestern Buckeye League (SWBL) for the 2023-24 school year.
Here is the release:
The Ross Local School District (RLSD) strives to provide its students with meaningful learning opportunities through the vehicle of education-based athletics. The RLSD remains committed to providing its fans and community with a positive experience across all grade levels and all sports.
While members of the Southwest Ohio Conference (SWOC), RLSD students have flourished and the community has experienced all that is great about interscholastic sports, a testament to the past and present SWOC member schools and communities.
At this point in time however, the RLSD administration believes that a change in league membership is in the best interest of its students and community.
On January 20, 2022, the RLSD Board of Education adopted a resolution accepting an invitation to the Southwestern Buckeye League (SWBL), effective for the 2023-2024 school year.
The RLSD believes that the SWBL, a league with a rich history of utilizing sports as an extension of the classroom, represents a stable and competitive space for student athletes to grow far into the future.
As such, RLSD administration will begin to work immediately with SWBL member schools to formulate the timeline, divisional alignment, and scheduling details regarding transition to full SWBL membership.
One of the comments said that Mt Healthy and Northwest might end up in the CMAC (Cincinnati Public Schools).

I could see Edgewood going to the SWBL.

This does leave Harrison in a weird spot.

Harrison is likely too small for GMC ... they'd get blown off every field and court except for the wrestling mats. They are way too far west for the ECC. Probably too big for CHL. I kind of think they're screwed and may have to do the Winton Woods nomad thing for a while.
Those were my thoughts, too, about Harrison. Too small for GMC. Too big for other conferences. Maybe they'll start playing a bunch of Indiana schools? Maybe they'll play a GCL team every year?

Ross and Edgewood can very easily go to the SWBL.

Northwest and Mt Healthy can very easily join CMAC.

Harrison and Talwanda are the two I can't figure out.

I don't see a public school league staying with 4 teams for a league.

Harrison and Talawanda are both too small for the GMC. I remember of talk of kicking Princeton out when they fell to D2.

ECC is too far for both. The SWOC and ECC were both in the FAVC, but that broke up because of travel issues.

I could see Talawanda maybe joining the SWBL.

Harrison is just stuck out. The have one game a year vs East Central, they might have to go Independent.

IMO Harrison would best fit the GMC.

Yes, I realize they would struggle in a couple sports but they have better programs (or at least comparable) than OH.

While I think Northwest's likely destination is the CMAC, the only thing it should join is Colerain High School.
Depends on who you ask. I work with a lady who children attended Anderson.

Back when talk of Anderson and Turping merging she pointed out that if they merge instead of 2 QB you have 1. Instead of 2 RB you have 1 and so on and they would rather have two ok teams than 1 really good team which is a debate in itself.

I could see Talawanda maybe joining the SWBL.

Harrison is just stuck out. The have one game a year vs East Central, they might have to go Independent.

I read through the SWBL expansion thread over in the football forum and folks seem to think Talawanda blew its chance at the SWBL somehow OR that they could get an invite with a fourth new school.

I think Harrison has to be independent. It is an odd situation in which they are a growing community, but just so damned far from anything else comparable.

Last edited:
IMO Harrison would best fit the GMC.

Yes, I realize they would struggle in a couple sports but they have better programs (or at least comparable) than OH.
I don't see the GMC going to 11 schools. I don't see them going to 12 either. Right now they are happy because of 10 teams and 9 league games they play everyone. Adding an 11th school will mess that up.

I am being selfish, I hope they go independent. That forces them to look for games. Who is also looking for games in Cincinnati, the GCL. If they do a Winton Woods they play three GCL teams and East Central. At this moment in time they already had to find 5 games. So by adding 3 GCL they could easily get to 10 games. But you also have to think of other sports.

This scheduling difficulties are frustrating. It’s seems like the only options are IMG or Beacon Hill type of teams with absolutely nothing in between.

I think a rotating 4th GCL game might make sense. Every yr each team plays another team 2x (ie Elder plays X 2x this yr, Moe 2x next yr, LS 2x in 2 yrs). It’s not ideal but what other options are there?

This scheduling difficulties are frustrating. It’s seems like the only options are IMG or Beacon Hill type of teams with absolutely nothing in between.

I think a rotating 4th GCL game might make sense. Every yr each team plays another team 2x (ie Elder plays X 2x this yr, Moe 2x next yr, LS 2x in 2 yrs). It’s not ideal but what other options are there?

Each teams also plays Ed's and Ignatius. That is 5 guaranteed games every year. Then, you only have 5 games to worry about and have teams like Cathedral, Lou. X, Lou. Trinity, Chatard, Roncalli. You travel to Michigan if you have to like Moeller did. You pay 1 cupcake to come in a year for Senior night where you can play the entire bench.