Cincinnati High School Season

cincinnativball

Any predictions for the season for GCL and any other Cincy-based team? Moeller/Elder/X all seem to be losing large portions of the starting lineup. Moeller loses POY Kiser but returns a few standout now-junior starters. X seems to return the most in valuable positions but without libero Huber. Any thought on Elder or what their lineup may end up looking like?

Moeller

S - Beckelheimer (CVA 18-1)
OH1 - Fuller (Attack 17-1)
OH2 - Haas (CVA 18-1) or Farwick (Attack 18-2)
OPP - ? (Haas (CVA 18-1) or Farwick (Attack 18-2))
MH1 - Kiser (CVA 18-1)
MH2 - ?
L - Stradley (Attack 17-1)

X

S - Kastner (Attack 18-1)
OH1 - Connaughton (Attack 18-1)
OH2 - Basalla (Attack 18-2) or Kastner (Attack 16-1)
MH1 - Mauch (Attack 18-1)
MH2 - Thaxton (Attack 18-2)
OPP - Moeller (Attack 18-2)
L - Dannemiller (Attack 18-1)

Elder

S - Wauligman (Attack 18-2) & Koewler (Attack 17-1)
OH1 - Hargett (Attack 18-1)
OH2 - Engelhardt? (Attack 17-1)
MH1 - Murphy (Attack 18-1)
MH2 - Sinnard (Attack 18-2) or Eary (NA)
OPP - Singler (Attack 18-1) & ?
L - Bernard (Attack 18-1)

I like Elder and X to battle it out for the top spot with Moeller just behind them

Moeller

MH1 - Kiser (CVA 18-1)
MH2 - ?

X

Elder

I like Elder and X to battle it out for the top spot with Moeller just behind them

Legitimate question- not trying to knock the kid:
Is Haas a good enough hitter for Moeller to compete with him against other GCL and top-tier schools?

I was curious what was coming back after the 3CL for division 1 so I did some digging on all star lists and club rosters (I only went down to 16s teams).

I'll be honest, this was a bit of a rabbit hole I went down. haha

Loveland (4 seed):
Was regional finalist, lost to Moe
Lost: S Miller (now at TMC), OH Batsch, and MBs Land and Carrigan
Return: Niven (CVA 18-1) who was out last year I think, Johnson (CVA 17-1) and Miller-Bross (CVA 16-1)
Summary: Lost a lot, were very senior heavy, but Niven is solid. Do they have people to put around him?

Milford (5 seed):
Lost to Elder
Lost: MB Kroeger
Return: 3 players on CVA 18-2, Wehrman (TMC commit), Cambron and Pearson, Hornsby (CVA 17-1), and Heywood (Attack 16-3)
Summary: They have some solid pieces with club experience coming back, probably a step up on Loveland, early candidate for that 4 seed?

Oak Hills (6):
Lost to Loveland
Lost: S Meyer and MB Boehringer
Return: Solid libero in Essen
Summary: Don't see any club players. Lost a starting setter and go-to MB but they're usually solid in the GMC, though.

Mason (7):
Lost to St X
Lost: OH Lasala
Return: OH Beyke (CVA 18-2), Bommaritto (CVA 18-1), 4 players on CVA 17-2 (Habra, Jeffers, Rose, Thomas)
Summary: That's a slew of dudes playing club. I'd say they could be top of the GMC after Lakota East. Beyke and Bommaritto are pretty good.

Walnut Hills (8):
Lost to Loveland
Lost: MB Clark
Return: OH Hagerty (CVA 18-1), S Vogelpohl (Attack 16-1), Rentz McCoy (Attack 18-3), Britt (Attack 16-2)
Summary: Hagerty is a solid player. Similar to Loveland, are there enough players around him? 3 other dudes playing club is a plus.

Fairfield (9):
Lost to Moe
Lost: Siebert, Wotring, and Summerour
Return: S Quedens (Attack 18-1)
Summary: Lost several players from an already down squad compared to recent Fairfield teams. Middle of the GMC pack again, I'd say. They do have 3 levels at HS, so I'm sure they have some kids developing. And a returning setter ALWAYS helps.

Princeton (10):
Lost to Fairfield
Lost: Harris and Meyer
Return: ?
Summary: Don't know much about them, but they usually have some good athletes that allow them to hang around in GMC play even though you don;t see club players and whatnot.

West Clermont (11):
Lost to Mason
Lost: S/OH Arnold
Return: ?
Summary: It's a big school - I'd expect that over time WC will get better just by the numbers game if nothing else. But I would think that they will be behind Loveland, Milford and Walnut again in the ECC.

Colerain (12):
Lost to Milford
Lost:?
Return:?
Summary: They're not even listed on the GMC website, but Lakota West (who otherwise was winless in the GMC) beat them bad. I think it's another rough year for the Cards.

Sycamore (13): The Dark Horse
Sycamore was the bottom seed in the tournament, but they were pretty dang good in the GMC, only losing to Lakota East. They lost to Elder in the first round.
Lost: Lorenzana
Return: Tulabaev and Kress, Sakemiller (CVA 17-2)
Summary: Honestly don't know, but looks like they only lost one senior of note, so Sycamore could be fighting hard with Mason for the 2 spot in the GMC and for that 4 seed come tourney time.

Way too early D1 South Rankings:
1- St X
2- Elder
3- Moeller
4- Sycamore
5- Milford
6- Mason
7- Loveland
8- Walnut Hills
9- Oak Hills
10- Fairfield
11- Princeton
12- West Clermont
13- Colerain

Maybe I'll do D2 South next with 2 new teams in 2019 (Taylor and Royalmont Academy)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. :banana:

Any early POY predictions in the south/west regions? From west I’d put all my money on Hubbard from Lakota. South I’d bet on one of Hargett from Elder, Mauch or Kastner from X, and Kiser from Moeller, with a wild card Hagerty taking it as a junior at Walnut Hills.

Agree that sycamore will be a dark horse this year. They have a lot returning, but I’m not sure they have enough to be East.

After looking through the GMC website at stats, scores, and all conference selections... it will be interesting to see what Hamilton does this year. They have 2 all conference players returning, and they only lost 1 senior. I can see them placing in the top three of the conference and they do not have to go through the gauntlet of the Cincinnati region come tournament time as they are in the Dayton region. Hamilton lost to Centerville last season in regional semi finals.

East is the obvious favorite to repeat as GMC champs.

Here’s the best in what comes back for the GMC in 2019:

Trenton Kuhlman- East (Senior)
Even Beyke- Mason (Senior)
Reece Kuhlman- East (Senior)
Ethan Hubbard- East (Senior)
Conner Robinson- Hamilton (Senior)
Timur Tulabaev- Sycamore (Junior)
Josh’s Dubovec- East (Senior)
Logan Essen- Oak Hills (Junior)
Trevor Kress- Sycamore (Senior)
Alex Quedens- Fairfield (Junior)
Dylan Robinson- Hamilton (Sophomore)

Any early POY predictions in the south/west regions? From west I’d put all my money on Hubbard from Lakota. South I’d bet on one of Hargett from Elder, Mauch or Kastner from X, and Kiser from Moeller, with a wild card Hagerty taking it as a junior at Walnut Hills.

Good shouts for the POY in the South. And I agree with Hubbard being the early favorite in the West.

I think it frequently trends toward whichever team has the best year. So if Elder wins the GCL, Hargett is probably the favorite to win POY. And if St X wins, look for Mauch or Kastner. If Moeller wins the GCL (which I'm not sure I see), I'm not sure Kiser would be the POY front runner, but might be whoever steps up and carries them offensively. Would be pretty unique to see brothers win it back to back, though.

Hagerty might have a better shot next year as a Senior? Even still, the POY discussion is dominated by the 3CL.

Agree that sycamore will be a dark horse this year. They have a lot returning, but I’m not sure they have enough to be East.

After looking through the GMC website at stats, scores, and all conference selections... it will be interesting to see what Hamilton does this year. They have 2 all conference players returning, and they only lost 1 senior. I can see them placing in the top three of the conference and they do not have to go through the gauntlet of the Cincinnati region come tournament time as they are in the Dayton region. Hamilton lost to Centerville last season in regional semi finals.

East is the obvious favorite to repeat as GMC champs.

Here’s the best in what comes back for the GMC in 2019:

Trenton Kuhlman- East (Senior)
Even Beyke- Mason (Senior)
Reece Kuhlman- East (Senior)
Ethan Hubbard- East (Senior)
Conner Robinson- Hamilton (Senior)
Timur Tulabaev- Sycamore (Junior)
Josh’s Dubovec- East (Senior)
Logan Essen- Oak Hills (Junior)
Trevor Kress- Sycamore (Senior)
Alex Quedens- Fairfield (Junior)
Dylan Robinson- Hamilton (Sophomore)

Yeah, I don't see anyone beating East in the GMC.

After doing some more digging on Sycamore, looks like their top kill getter was Kress, but after that the next 4 offensive players were all seniors. I might have to walk back my predictions based on that! For me, after seeing that, I think that makes Mason the clear cut 2, with Sycamore and Hamilton more even fighting for 3rd. I'm also not sold on the atmosphere around that program with some of things that I've heard about. :stirthepot:

My GMC finishing order:
1- East
2- Mason
3- Hamilton
4- Sycamore
5- Fairfield
6- Oak Hills
7- Middletown
8- Princeton
9- West
10- Colerain

But really, who knows?!?:shrug:

Moeller

MH1 - Kiser (CVA 18-1)
MH2 - ?

X

Elder

I wouldn't be surprised to possibly see the soph, Wiesman, make the jump to varsity setter this year for E. The freshmen class coming in to Elder has some very good players that have been playing together for years; I can see 3 or 4 making JV right away and that includes a setter. Overall, I see the frosh/soph setters really pushing the upperclassmen to prove their worth this year.

But Wiesman's a tall, lefty, athletic, haven't seen as much from his hands, but I know he's been playing up on Attack 17-2 this year due to his birthday, so I'm sure that's provided great experience. Koewler has great, great hands, but I wonder about his ability on defense and ability to move to get to the ball at this high of a level. I see Wauligman as more of a solid back up to have

Should make for an interesting year @ Elder. Hopefully they can figure it out. How about Moelller, X Frosh JV pretty good like the other levels?

Yeah, I don't see anyone beating East in the GMC.

After doing some more digging on Sycamore, looks like their top kill getter was Kress, but after that the next 4 offensive players were all seniors. I might have to walk back my predictions based on that! For me, after seeing that, I think that makes Mason the clear cut 2, with Sycamore and Hamilton more even fighting for 3rd. I'm also not sold on the atmosphere around that program with some of things that I've heard about. :stirthepot:

My GMC finishing order:
1- East
2- Mason
3- Hamilton
4- Sycamore
5- Fairfield
6- Oak Hills
7- Middletown
8- Princeton
9- West
10- Colerain

But really, who knows?!?:shrug:
What program are you referring to about the atmosphere?

I wouldn't be surprised to possibly see the soph, Wiesman, make the jump to varsity setter this year for E. The freshmen class coming in to Elder has some very good players that have been playing together for years; I can see 3 or 4 making JV right away and that includes a setter. Overall, I see the frosh/soph setters really pushing the upperclassmen to prove their worth this year.

But Wiesman's a tall, lefty, athletic, haven't seen as much from his hands, but I know he's been playing up on Attack 17-2 this year due to his birthday, so I'm sure that's provided great experience. Koewler has great, great hands, but I wonder about his ability on defense and ability to move to get to the ball at this high of a level. I see Wauligman as more of a solid back up to have

That would certainly shake things up a bit. The Wauligman name obviously means something at Elder, but I doubt it would guarantee playing time. I have seen Koewler, and I agree (great hands/potential struggles at highest level). That's probably why everyone (including me) assumed they'd run a 6-2 and only have him play across the backrow. His defense might not be great, but that can be mitigated to some degree by the rest of team being strong defensively. I don't know much about Wiesman, but a tall, talented underclassman would be an interesting route for Elder to take. But traditionally, Elder doesn't really play Sophomores on Varsity, do they? I can't remember anyone recently. I don't feel like Tierney will rock the boat too much.

Should make for an interesting year @ Elder. Hopefully they can figure it out. How about Moelller, X Frosh JV pretty good like the other levels?

Don't know nearly as much about those schools. From what some club players have told me, Moeller frosh might be pretty down this year. There's 3 or 4 I can think of off the top of my head that should make an impact, but I could also see them making JV. St. X has some talented sophomores (Carmosino, Kastner, Schroeder) that play on Attack 16-1s. Really don't know much at all about X freshmen.

For JV level, I think it goes:
E
X
Moe
LS

I don't have a clue about the freshmen level. Elder has a very talented freshmen class that all play with each other for Attack so they should gel right off the bat assuming they all play at the frosh level (not likely). LaSalle doesn't seem to have many kids at these ages on the club circuit so that might not bode well for them, or I probably just don't know enough about who they have.

With X and Moe, it's hard to tell; Attack 15-1's has one kid from X and one kid from Moe, while they have 4 Elder kids and Dylan Samuels who's still in 8th grade, but will be going to Elder, while 15-2's has 2 X kids, 2 Elder kids and 4 Moeller kids. Attack 15-2's are pretty competitive for the most part as well. The thing with X and Moe is they also have more and more kids playing at CVA and this age group at CVA only has one team (a national team) where every kid that tried out made it, so it's a mixed bag. But I'm sure the coaching staffs at X and Moe will have things figured out and have both playing at a competitive level.

That would certainly shake things up a bit. The Wauligman name obviously means something at Elder, but I doubt it would guarantee playing time. I have seen Koewler, and I agree (great hands/potential struggles at highest level). That's probably why everyone (including me) assumed they'd run a 6-2 and only have him play across the backrow. His defense might not be great, but that can be mitigated to some degree by the rest of team being strong defensively. I don't know much about Wiesman, but a tall, talented underclassman would be an interesting route for Elder to take. But traditionally, Elder doesn't really play Sophomores on Varsity, do they? I can't remember anyone recently. I don't feel like Tierney will rock the boat too much.

Wauligman just didn't get the athleticism as his uncles and he seems to fall into lulls at times. I'd say the name puts a lot of pressure on him too. The defense should be solid with Bernard and Shook so they can certainly mitigate Koewler's defensive liabilities, but I'd say if it's a 6-2 (which is likely), it's gotta be Wiesman and Koewler. Wiesman can play all the way around as well.

I wanna say Kevin Siemer played a decent amount as a sophomore setter on varsity. You're right though, Tierney doesn't rock the boat very often, but with this year's freshmen class and Dylan Samuels coming in next year, I think it'll be something to re-consider.

Wauligman just didn't get the athleticism as his uncles and he seems to fall into lulls at times. I'd say the name puts a lot of pressure on him too. The defense should be solid with Bernard and Shook so they can certainly mitigate Koewler's defensive liabilities, but I'd say if it's a 6-2 (which is likely), it's gotta be Wiesman and Koewler. Wiesman can play all the way around as well.

I wanna say Kevin Siemer played a decent amount as a sophomore setter on varsity. You're right though, Tierney doesn't rock the boat very often, but with this year's freshmen class and Dylan Samuels coming in next year, I think it'll be something to re-consider.

Siemer's a name I hadn't thought about in a bit, and he did make varsity as a sophomore because they needed setter depth, but I don't remember him playing in many meaningful games - was that Sansone's year?

Siemer's a name I hadn't thought about in a bit, and he did make varsity as a sophomore because they needed setter depth, but I don't remember him playing in many meaningful games - was that Sansone's year?

I think it would've been because Siemer was class of '15, but I honestly can't remember for sure

Elder

I like Elder and X to battle it out for the top spot with Moeller just behind them[/QUOTE]

Is the Byrne kid playing this year. He plays basketball so he isn't on the club teams and people seem to forget about him. Also are there any Elder middles playing club in case of Eary not playing?

Elder

Is the Byrne kid playing this year. He plays basketball so he isn't on the club teams and people seem to forget about him. Also are there any Elder middles playing club in case of Eary not playing?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he is. I could see Engelhardt playing the other Opp and Byrne as the second OH.

I would bet the house on Weisman not starting over Wauligman or Koewler barring injury. He has a lot of potential, but he is not better than Koewler or Wauligman at this point

You're probably not wrong just based on how Tierney runs things, but, if he's behind Wauligman, it's not by a whole lot. Hands-wise, yes, Koewler is the best setter

Ok, so here's a shot at D2 South Region.

I didn't go quite as in-depth as I did for D1, so maybe others can fill in some details.

LaSalle (1 seed in 2018):
Lost in State Semifinals
lost: Grosheim
return: Harvery (S/OH) and Guethlein (OH/MB), Lucas, Treinan, Uetrecht (CA 18-3), Goldscmidt and Berrens (CA 16-1), Hogshead and Gagnon (CA 16-2), Grathwohl (CA 16-3)
Summary: Will be favorite in D2 again I think. They had another pretty big, fairly solid middle (don't know name) who I'm not sure if they return. Badin will be hot on their tails again. Despite a good number of guys playing club, will still be bottom of the GCL. But do they care when they have a shot at state in D2 again?

Badin (2 seed):
Lost to LaSalle in a tight one
lost: Wagner (MB)
return: VanSteenkiste (OH), Maushart, Schweinefuss, Dwire and Salek (CVA 17-2)
Sumamry: Probably top of the Cincinnati area GCL Coed teams, but mid-pack for GCL Coed in total behind some dayton teams. Expect them to battle with LaSalle for the right to go upstate. New coach who is a director at CVA could provide some better coaching than past years.

McNick (3):
lost to LaSalle in 4
lost: Fulmer (OH), Deimling (S) and Guessford (OH)
return: Tippenhauer (MB)
summary: Was a down year for McNick compared to years past, and they lost a lot in tow starting OHs and the Setter. I would guess they'll still be better than RB and PM, though.

Monroe (4):
lost to Roger Bacon
lost: ??
return: Jeffers (OH/S - CVA 18-1), Nall (MB), Stegman (MB)
summary: They lost to a not great RB team int he tournament. Granted, all the key players are returning including the latest in a line of Jeffers kids who is a solid player. They could leap frog RB and McNick.

Roger Bacon (5):
lost to Badin
lost: Jones (OH/MB)
return: Stark, Clevidence
summary: Lost best offensive player, but return a few guys. Look for them to be in a similar place, I'd say with a decent returning core.

Purcell Marian (6):
lost to McNick
lost: Schultheis (OH), Hilbert (MB)
return: Tepe (S)
summary: Rough year last year, the once great program has fallen off quite a bit. Can new coach (also with CVA connections) revive PM? I'd expect them to be toward the bottom of D2 again after losing two of the better players, but maybe they can start rebuilding for the future.

NEW TEAM BONUS!
Two new teams in D2 South region, Royalmont Academy and Taylor.

I would expect both to struggle a bit in the first year at smaller schools. Taylor might have a few kids who played before in the westside youth league, and Royalmont might have a few who played in the CYO league. Taylor's coach is a former Elder player. I don't have anything else, hopefully others do!

The Way Too Early D2 South Region Rankings:
1- LaSalle
2- Badin
3- Monroe
4- McNick
5- Roger Bacon
6- Purcell Marian
7- Taylor
8- Royalmont

Is the Byrne kid playing this year. He plays basketball so he isn't on the club teams and people seem to forget about him. Also are there any Elder middles playing club in case of Eary not playing?

Pretty sure he is. I could see Engelhardt playing the other Opp and Byrne as the second OH.[/QUOTE]

Where does this leave Joseph Beiter from Attack 17-1's? Sounds like there will be a battle for the two Opp spots!

Wow, good point, completely forgot about him. Looks like there's shaping up to be some real competition for the 3 hitter spots outside of Hargett

Nice intake. Agree with you that LaSalle runs the table in D2 south this year with Badin being their big competition..

D1 West preview next???

I'll leave that for someone else - My knowledge of the Dayton area teams just isn't as good outside of the things most people already know.

I suppose I could just make the list of all-conference and all-region players, but maybe someone else would like to do that :)

Here's my rankings of D1 West Region:

1. Beavercreek
2. East
3. Centerville
4. Northmont
5. Hamilton
6. Fairmont
7. Lakota West
8. Wayne
9. Middletown
10. Miamisburg
11. Xenia

Here's my rankings of D1 West Region:

1. Beavercreek
2. East
3. Centerville
4. Northmont
5. Hamilton
6. Fairmont
7. Lakota West
8. Wayne
9. Middletown
10. Miamisburg
11. Xenia

From my limited information, I'd probably put Lakota East above Beavercreek, but there's no doubt those are the top two teams on paper.