Christian conservative group denied service at Virginia restaurant as staff felt 'unsafe'

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

Family Foundation of Virginia & Alliance Defending Freedom.

Lol.

I helped a friend start a hotel. Massive undertaking. He told me the hospitality business relies on online ratings. There are a lot of crazy people out there and some who have figured out that a bad review is a way to get discounts and free stuff.

I would sit in as he would call these, uh, people and he would start making offers for having them take the review down. It bothered me because he was rewarding either stupidity or crass manipulation. I told him I couldn't do it.

He said, "Here is the overriding principle of the hospitality business: kiss their butt and take their money." Lol.

I'm not comfortable with trying to apply law against stupidity and prejudice like this. I'd just say to the bar that they should kiss their butt and take their money - because making money is why the business exists and its pure stupidity to push away customers. But if the owner wants to make political statements, they are free to do that, but that should be stated up front. The political statement should come before the reservation, not after.

People who support refusing to serve others should not be offended when they are refused service.

Me personally I think everyone should serve everyone equally no matter their beliefs politically religiously or otherwise. I also believe it is the christian thing to do.
Well heck, it’s even the hard rock Café thing to do

That's fine in a perfect world but my understanding is that in this case the restaurant cancelled the reservation only 90 minutes before they were to gather at the place.

This is just another example of unequal application of the laws of the land. If bakers can be compelled to provide services to people they believe are violating their religion then restaurants should be compelled to honor the reservation and serve this group. You don't get to pick and choose based on the ideology of the folks involved.
Of course the restaurant has the right to refuse service to whomever they want.

Customers also have the right to boycott.

Wonder if the Southern Poverty Law Center will list "Metzger Bar and Butchery" as a hate group?
All Christian Conservative groups are not the same. The KKK is a Christian Conservative group, would you have a problem with a resteraunt heavily staffed with Blacks denying service to the KKK???

That's fine in a perfect world but my understanding is that in this case the restaurant cancelled the reservation only 90 minutes before they were to gather at the place.

This is just another example of unequal application of the laws of the land. If bakers can be compelled to provide services to people they believe are violating their religion then restaurants should be compelled to honor the reservation and serve this group. You don't get to pick and choose based on the ideology of the folks involved.
As a business owner, I think you should get to pick and choose based on ideology, then you also reap the reward of such action as well.

The last thing I want to do is force a food establishment who does not want my business to be required to serve me.

All Christian Conservative groups are not the same. The KKK is a Christian Conservative group, would you have a problem with a resteraunt heavily staffed with Blacks denying service to the KKK???
Oh my. Wow. OK.

That's unfixable.

If a person has hatred towards an entire race, based solely on skin color, what is the chance they are going to want to utilize the services of an establishment that is staffed with the people they hate? Calling the KKK a Christian Conservative group is more than a disingenuous description of such people.

The reality is this group of people known as the Family Foundation share fundamental beliefs that align with Christian conservatism. They are not representing any Christian organization, but are teaching foundational ideas that for generations have been known as truths. Such as same sex relationships are improper and abortion is taking the life of an innocent human.

To me, the real question is, did the Family Foundation know the restaurant they had reserved was pro homosexuality and pro baby killing prior to their booking the place? Personally, I would not intentionally support such a place with my patronage, but support their right to not want me as a patron, and I also hope they do well and prosper, just not from my support.

Then there is the issue of, beyond rewarding someone who doesn't like you with your money, do you want people who don't like you preparing your food?

Canceling the reservation 90 minutes before the event is a hardship but I'd rather take my business somewhere else.

No different than blacks showing up at a restaurant in the 1960's only to be told, "sorry, we don't have any seats available" ...........when clearly the place was half empty.
So, the photographer who is hired to photograph a wedding; finds out it's a same sex couple; believes it's a sin (against his/her religious beliefs); you would agree that he/she either takes the pictures or is breaking the law. That's what you want, correct?

do they( democrats) at least take their HOODS off when they eat?

may i ask when have you seen a group KKK members gathering somewhere?

or when have you seen a group of Black panthers gathering at a Chuckie Cheese, and next thing you go is gunfire or at least a big ol throw down on your hands?

by the way... you are who you are? definition of a BIGOT

Then there is the issue of, beyond rewarding someone who doesn't like you with your money, do you want people who don't like you preparing your food?

Canceling the reservation 90 minutes before the event is a hardship but I'd rather take my business somewhere else.
I agree and would rather have them cancel my reservation then spit in my food. But the bigger issue is why can the left cite their ideological concerns as a rational to deny service while religious justifications are dismissed. We either have one set of rules or no rules. I would have no problem with a business choosing to deny service based on any reason they want. Just make sure it cuts both ways.

So, the photographer who is hired to photograph a wedding; finds out it's a same sex couple; believes it's a sin (against his/her religious beliefs); you would agree that he/she either takes the pictures or is breaking the law. That's what you want, correct?
No we want consistency in the enforcement of these rules. The scenario you cite often brings societal condemnation on the photographer and even if they prevail in court they are often dragged through our legal system as if they did something wrong.

I would prefer that a person or business has the right to refuse service for any reason they choose. Since we don't have that then service must be provided accept for very rare circumstances.