CHL Football 2021

McNicholas has probably beat Wyoming and Indian Hill more since 2014 (4 times by my count) then all the other CHL teams combined and they obviously don’t play every year.
I think you are implying that a league that incorporated McNick (and then probably Alter, C-J, Carroll, Fenwick, and Badin) with Wyoming and Indian Hill would tend to make a lot of (competitive) sense-- from a "football only" perspective...?

No doubt, Mariemont is very good at lax and has been playing it for a long time but you can’t compare winning a state title in Lax to winning in football, basketball, etc. I don’t know the number for sure but I’d bet there are about a 1/3rd of Ohio high schools competing in Lax vs football or basketball.
I'm not sure how (or if) MaxPreps comes up with its numbers. It wouldn't surprise me if football got more weight, but it wouldn't surprise if all sports weighed the same, either.

I think you are implying that a league that incorporated McNick (and then probably Alter, C-J, Carroll, Fenwick, and Badin) with Wyoming and Indian Hill would tend to make a lot of (competitive) sense-- from a "football only" perspective...?
Wasn’t implying that but that would be the best or one of the best midsize school leagues in the state. Public schools aren’t going to join a predominately Catholic school league in Ohio and why would IH and Wyoming want to they got a good thing going in football right now.

Wasn’t implying that but that would be the best or one of the best midsize school leagues in the state. Public schools aren’t going to join a predominately Catholic school league in Ohio and why would IH and Wyoming want to they got a good thing going in football right now.
You're right-- they wouldn't-- although I think Roger Bacon and Purcell Marian just joined predominantly public leagues (i.e.- the reverse)-- but, to answer your question: to provide better competition for (all) of their teams, and thus, to get better-- and have a better shot at high achievement state-wide.

Games this week:
Madeira vs CHCA Madeira. CHCA goose egg last week. Sounds like its not the CHCA of old
Finneytown vs Clark High on the list for worst football game in Ohio for Week 2. Toss up.
IH vs Northwest IH. Offense figures it out.
Mariemont vs Norwood Mariemont in a close one.
Adena vs Reading don't know much about either
Lawrenceburg vs Taylor Taylor gets rolling
Taft at Wyoming Wyoming in another close one

You're right-- they wouldn't-- although I think Roger Bacon and Purcell Marian just joined predominantly public leagues (i.e.- the reverse)-- but, to answer your question: to provide better competition for (all) of their teams, and thus, to get better-- and have a better shot at high achievement state-wide.
McNick was supposedly thinking of leaving the Coed as well due to distance to all away games (remember this is all sports not just football) Badin is now the closet opponent. I don’t know if that’s still being considered or not.

Games this week:
Madeira vs CHCA Madeira. CHCA goose egg last week. Sounds like its not the CHCA of old
Finneytown vs Clark High on the list for worst football game in Ohio for Week 2. Toss up.
IH vs Northwest IH. Offense figures it out.
Mariemont vs Norwood Mariemont in a close one.
Adena vs Reading don't know much about either
Lawrenceburg vs Taylor Taylor gets rolling
Taft at Wyoming Wyoming in another close one
CHCA I am assuming is down!
Taylor is in for a dog fight vs L'burg

From what I heard, the McNick vs IH game was 7-0 until about 5 min left. IH needs to figure out how to not turn the ball over in games that are not won by forty points.

McNick completed 4 passes and had 35 yards passing - and won by 15 points. That's hard to do.
I think that the old Oklahoma wishbone teams of Barry Switzer's used to regularly pass less (and less successfully) than that, and win by considerably more than that.

McNick was supposedly thinking of leaving the Coed as well due to distance to all away games (remember this is all sports not just football) Badin is now the closet opponent. I don’t know if that’s still being considered or not.
I don't know of a good conference for McNick to go to.

I don't know of a good conference for McNick to go to.
The only conference that would make any sense based on school size and proximity is whatever conference New Richmond, Goshen, Batavia , Clinton Massie is in. Rockets could compete in the ECC in all sports most years but they would be the smallest school in the conference by far.

Wyoming is dealing with some injuries and Taft usually plays them really tough. Taft losing to Bacon last week doesn't give me much hope for a good game but you never know.

Finneytown has NEVER once beaten its next-door neighbor (and natural rival) Wyoming.

You know, until tonight I didn't realize this was the case. I thought the good 1965 team with Mark Werner had surely beaten Wyoming, but tonight I found a cache of old yearbooks and discovered that they didn't play. In fact the two schools very seldom played in the 60s and early 70s; the series didn't really start until Ft had turned into a full-out soccer school and football sort of bottomed out during my time there. (Well, we thought that was the bottom but now we know better.)

There were some interesting finds in those early years: a 12-7 game with St. X in 1971 (or maybe it was '70 and I was looking at the '71 yearbook, I'm not sure). Those of you who just started watching these schools in the last couple of decades: imagine a competitive football game between Finneytown and St. X. I knew we'd beaten X in basketball a couple years later, but football????

You know, until tonight I didn't realize this was the case. I thought the good 1965 team with Mark Werner had surely beaten Wyoming, but tonight I found a cache of old yearbooks and discovered that they didn't play. In fact the two schools very seldom played in the 60s and early 70s; the series didn't really start until Ft had turned into a full-out soccer school and football sort of bottomed out during my time there. (Well, we thought that was the bottom but now we know better.)

There were some interesting finds in those early years: a 12-7 game with St. X in 1971 (or maybe it was '70 and I was looking at the '71 yearbook, I'm not sure). Those of you who just started watching these schools in the last couple of decades: imagine a competitive football game between Finneytown and St. X. I knew we'd beaten X in basketball a couple years later, but football????

That's quite some history.

I remember Finneytown and St. X played in baseball as recently as 2002. I'm not sure if Finneytown has faced off head-to-head with any of their other varsity "A" teams during the young millennium so far.

Anyways, congrats to Finneytown on the convincing shutout victory over Clark last night and to the 5 other CHL teams that won their non-league match-ups.

Reactions: 4GX

Very interesting.

That's quite some history.

I remember Finneytown and St. X played in baseball as recently as 2002. I'm not sure if Finneytown has faced off head-to-head with any of their other varsity "A" teams during the young millennium so far.

Anyways, congrats to Finneytown on the convincing shutout victory over Clark last night and to the 5 other CHL teams that won their non-league match-ups.
Deer Park with a nice win against a (formerly "AAA") big school team, too-- will wonders never cease?

Looked it up in the library's online Enquirer archive (I've got some time on my hands this weekend): Finneytown and St. X opened the 1969 and 1970 seasons, St. X won the first game 46-0 at home and then won the next year 12-7 at Finneytown. They never played again.

In between, Finneytown won nine straight and ran the County League table for an undefeated championship. There was a picture in the paper of "Finneytown's Ferocious Front Four," which included Mike Morgan, former (and if you ask me, much-missed) AD at Deer Park.

Basketball was an annual event, always played over the Christmas holidays and described by the Enquirer (sorry, I'm taking a moment to laugh) as a "rivalry game." Finneytown finally won at X in 1973/74 and as far as I can tell they never played again. Probably for the best I suppose, as that was the peak for the school's enrollment--the next year Ft moved down from the big-school to the small-school division of the HCL and a couple years later they started the long slide down from AAA to AA to D3....

Still trying to work out why Finneytown and Wyoming never played back then. Maybe somebody here knows the history better, but the best I can figure is that when Wyoming joined the HCL in 1965 (they'd been in the Millcreek Valley League with half the CHL before) they must have been in the big-school half at first. When Finneytown moved up in 1970 they were apparently swapping places with Wyoming, who moved down--at the very least I can confirm that in '69 when Finneytown was winning the National Division in football, Wyoming was winning the American. (There's also a reference on Wiki to an east/west divisional split at some point in the 60s, which I've never heard about but would also have split the schools. Finneytown would have been in the west half and Wyoming the east.) They weren't in the same division until I think '74, by which time Lincoln Heights had been absorbed and Greenhills, Colerain and Anderson had each split into two pretty big high schools, knocking Ft down into the National.

Reactions: 4GX
Indian Hill gets in the win column over Taft
Madeira over Purcell in a close one
Wyoming crushes Norwood
Deer Park falls to Portsmouth
Finneytown gets their second win over St Bernard/Elmwood
Reading wins a close one over Summit
Taylor easily over Bethel Tate
Mariemont moves to 3-0 over Williamsburg

Indian Hill gets in the win column over Taft
Madeira over Purcell in a close one
Wyoming crushes Norwood
Deer Park falls to Portsmouth
Finneytown gets their second win over St Bernard/Elmwood
Reading wins a close one over Summit
Taylor easily over Bethel Tate
Mariemont moves to 3-0 over Williamsburg
I wonder how long it's been since all 8 teams won in the same week.

Wyoming 36 Norwood 4
Mariemont 33 Williamsburg 0
Indian Hill 15 Taft 30
Madeira 15 Purcell 12
Reading 35 Summit 7

Taylor plays tomorrow
Can't find Finneytown score

Besides Indian Hill, the CHL doing well in out of league play. Indian Hill could easily be looking at a 0-5 start.
The statistical likelihood of a team scoring 4 points has to be astronomical.

Besides Indian Hill, the CHL doing well in out of league play. Indian Hill could easily be looking at a 0-5 start.
The statistical likelihood of a team scoring 4 points has to be astronomical.
The statistical likelihood of a team scoring 4 points (in a game in which that team got ROUTED) has to be EVEN MORE astronomical-- I could almost imagine, for example, a 4-0 win, by a team with a dominant defense, just shutting down the other team's offense (and scoring two safeties-- the only way a team can score 4 points) in an all-defense struggle... but 36-4???