Chardon at Mentor Scrimmage

Lol. It was a 10-7 game and Mentor had a field goal blocked from chip shot range . ...

Chardon was actually stopped plenty and had to work for their points hard. Didn't move down the field at will at all. Stop lying

Chardon fans show a lot of bravado for a fricken scrimmage especially from a program that won't play Mentor in the regular season after a historic blowout and another loss and then tucking tail. Couple johnny come lately types though. The OP has been here for over 20 years and is more logical

Look I cheer for you guys at d3 level. Have plenty of years before your last two state titles too btw. I'd be happy with Chardon, Kirtland , Perry etc winning every year. Different levels and not our competition so why not. But let's stop acting like it's the same level. It's different levels of football.

Don't need lectures from chardon guys in what to do. Mentor has been way more consistent over the last 20 years at a higher level. And all of us have been plenty critical when needed on parts of our program
I’m tired you bringing up the Chardon Mentor game from 15 years ago. You are are rirght. When they played in the regular season I’m those days Mentor won both games. One was a blow out ,and one was close. Just like your
Friday August 12 at 6 pm - Chardon will travel to Mentor and will play one half of football which they have done for the past four years. Should be entertaining if you're looking for something to

According to Mentorgrad2002 just because you go to Mentor that makes you a better football player. Ridiculous.

This cat always brings up the past. Mentor beat the crap out of Chardon back in the day, but he doesn’t mention they had 3 offensive lineman out and 2 halfbacks out (Chardon ). Even if they played it wouldn’t have been a game. The next season Mentor won a close game by 8. Mentor was 8-3 that year. Chardon turned the ball over 4 times to Mentor’s 0.

There’s no difference, Chardon could beat at the top of any Division, I or III. Not saying they could win the higher divisions, but they could compete. If Mentor is an elite 8 team in DI, what does that make Chardon?

I understand Mentor’s offensive line not winning the battle up front against Chardon’s experienced and talented group. I didn’t expect Mentor’s line to get that dominated, but this group is pretty green at the varsity level.

But Mentor’s defensive front should’ve made a much bigger difference. Chardon has four new starters, including two sophomores and a freshman. Yet I saw them blow up holes at the line of scrimmage and physically move around Mentor’s defensive line. Brenan Vernon didn’t have a sack or tackle for loss that I noticed yesterday. He is going to be prepping for Ohio State in 12 months.

In a real regular season game, I would be concerned against Chardon. They absolutely could beat Mentor this year from what I saw.

As for whether or not Chardon could succeed in Division I, well let’s imagine we could magically double their enrollment. If those added boys have the same kind of strength, mental toughness, skill, and intensity as the current group - I think Chardon would do pretty well. Hewitt is an excellent coach. In fact, they might be the 3rd or 4th best team in Region 1 this season even with a significant enrollment disparity. No, they aren’t going to beat a juggernaut St Eds team…but who does?

According to Mentorgrad2002 just because you go to Mentor that makes you a better football player. Ridiculous.

This cat always brings up the past. Mentor beat the crap out of Chardon back in the day, but he doesn’t mention they had 3 offensive lineman out and 2 halfbacks out (Chardon ). Even if they played it wouldn’t have been a game. The next season Mentor won a close game by 8. Mentor was 8-3 that year. Chardon turned the ball over 4 times to Mentor’s 0.

There’s no difference, Chardon could beat at the top of any Division, I or III. Not saying they could win the higher divisions, but they could compete. If Mentor is an elite 8 team in DI, what does that make Chardon?
Mentor went 7-3 that season and didn't even make the playoffs . Same as chardon They won by 12 and not 8 in that game. It's relevant because people like you are puffing your chests about winning a half of scrimmage by 3 points but your school wont schedule mentor in the regular season....

Preseason isn't the same. It's like bragging about the NFL preseason. Teams are trying different things. Rotating in more players. Playing vanilla and not showing all. Snow didn't take one snap in any package for Mentor. We didn't do one option play. The rush packages were basic. It just isn't the same thing.

I don't think Chardon would win with that offense and their size vs good D1 teams that can stop the run. Not saying they would get smoked on their good years but I was saying closed enrollment publics can't just run and win vs these big privates in D1 with their gigantic lines.

Also I don't think Mentor is a top 8 team in D1 this year. We shall see how they develop but with a sophomore QB and others working in , they'll have to develop as the season progresses

Last edited:
Lol. It was a 10-7 game and Mentor had a field goal blocked from chip shot range . ...

Chardon was actually stopped plenty and had to work for their points hard. Didn't move down the field at will at all. Stop lying

Chardon fans show a lot of bravado for a fricken scrimmage especially from a program that won't play Mentor in the regular season after a historic blowout and another loss and then tucking tail. Couple johnny come lately types though. The OP has been here for over 20 years and is more logical

Look I cheer for you guys at d3 level. Have plenty of years before your last two state titles too btw. I'd be happy with Chardon, Kirtland , Perry etc winning every year. Different levels and not our competition so why not. But let's stop acting like it's the same level. It's different levels of football.

Don't need lectures from chardon guys in what to do. Mentor has been way more consistent over the last 20 years at a higher level. And all of us have been plenty critical when needed on parts of our program
Lots of anger from you. You are also incredibly defensive. Nobody is saying Mentor sucks, they are all simply saying Chardon is a different level than your typical division 3. We are also saying their brand of football is truly impressive. Mentor has been great also. Not winning a state title cannot take away from that.

Lots of anger from you. You are also incredibly defensive. Nobody is saying Mentor sucks, they are all simply saying Chardon is a different level than your typical division 3. We are also saying their brand of football is truly impressive. Mentor has been great also. Not winning a state title cannot take away from that.
Not anger. Im laughing at the stupidity of puffing your chests on winning a fricken scrimmage by 3 points. And acting like they went up and down the field all night while scoring a whopping 10 points on us in half a game....

I don't really care what a DeSales grad and current lake catholic fan says about Mentor. For someone talking about anger, you were the one banned from threads for trolling so much that conversation couldnt happen ... Don't throw stones...

What do you think about the Chardon kicker moving from Mentor btw? Only wanting to comment on kids who move to Mentor but not those who leave once again ?

Not anger. Im laughing at the stupidity of puffing your chests on winning a fricken scrimmage by 3 points. And acting like they went up and down the field all night while scoring a whopping 10 points on us in half a game....

I don't really care what a DeSales grad and current lake catholic fan says about Mentor. For someone talking about anger, you were the one banned from threads for trolling so much that conversation couldnt happen ... Don't throw stones...

What do you think about the Chardon kicker moving from Mentor btw? Only wanting to comment on kids who move to Mentor but not those who leave once again ?
I’m puffing my chest because Chardon won by 10. It took Chardon to put in their 2nd string defense for Mentor’s 1st string offense to score. You’re a clown.

Chardon beats Mentor if they play in the regular season. It’s not that big of deal. If Mentor was better I’d say it. They aren’t. They weren’t last year and not this year.

As for the kicker, I don’t think it’s right, but that’s how HS football goes nowadays. His parents actually built a house here, just like Snow buying a house in Mentor.

I’m puffing my chest because Chardon won by 10. It took Chardon to put in their 2nd string defense for Mentor’s 1st string offense to score. You’re a clown.

Chardon beats Mentor if they play in the regular season. It’s not that big of deal. If Mentor was better I’d say it. They aren’t. They weren’t last year and not this year.

As for the kicker, I don’t think it’s right, but that’s how HS football goes nowadays. His parents actually built a house here, just like Snow buying a house in Mentor.
Yes because Mentor definitely wasn't rotating guys on both sides or anything in the scrimmage. We showed it all and went full out in a scrimmage lol. Talk about a clown...

You won by 3. I can easily says the refs handed you your TD because it was a ticky tack call 15 yards from a badly thrown ball that sustained your drive. Besides that you guys managed a 42 yard field goal. Hardly moving at will

Chardon may or may not beat Mentor this year in a real game. Who knows? You guys won't schedule Mentor in a real game. The preseason simply isn't the same thing. Mentor was stuffing Chardon in the latter half of that scrimmage btw. Those 2nd and 3rds with 20 plus yards to go weren't an accident. In a real game with another half, I like our chances.

As for the kicker, it's perfectly fine. Kids move in and out. They aren't prisoners of school districts. That guy fbrox liked to talk about a handful of kids moving to Mentor. He fails to mention when kids move out. Goes both ways for everyone

Last edited:

I think it sucks… my understanding of the situation is they moved because the parents didn’t like Gray and his discipline practices. I hate high school free agency and think it’s a terrible idea to quit or move because you dislike a coach. Life won’t work that way in adulthood…

Last edited:
It’ll be interesting to see from this scrimmage to weeks 3 and 4 when Riverside plays Mentor and Chardo

Good luck! Seriously.

It was a good scrimmage for both teams. Both teams got what they wanted to get out of it. Triv first set this scrimmage up five years ago because Mentor had lost to run first teams in the playoffs. He wanted to face a run first team. Chardon scheduled it because we wanted to face superior bodies and skill. Mentor's defense is very solid. Chardon's defense will be top 2 or 3 in the state in division 3. Olmsted Falls is very, very good on offense and they are committed to running the football. Week one will be smash mouth and Chardon's young offensive line needs to grow up quickly. They took a step in the right direction last night. I'm always rooting for northeast Ohio publics.

I think it sucks… my understanding of the situation is they moved because the parents didn’t like Gray and his discipline practices. I hate high school free agency and think it’s a terrible idea to quit or move because you dislike a coach. Life won’t work that way in adulthood…
This seems to be a phenomenon driven by parents who think that Jr. is the next coming of a future hall of famer and think the grass will be greener somewhere else. Chardon is actually the recipient of another Mentor player on their freshman team this season whose family did the same thing with his older brother. Ironically things didn't work out as they had hoped for the older brother where they took him so they brought their shining star back to Mentor....where he didn't get any playing time last season.

Now, parents choose to move and that is totally fair. Perhaps the kicker's family wanted more land and to live in Chardon and go to their schools. That it completely understandable. I don't know, I'm just making a general observation while also pointing out, as others have. That goes both ways for Mentor, and all schools, kids move in and out. Sometimes for genuine reasons and some times because they think their darling child will be more appreciated somewhere else.

People move. ....

I highly doubt parents bought a whole new house just so a high school kicker could play somewhere else. ...

Heck our family moved and I didn't play any sports for Mentor.

People move. ....

I highly doubt parents bought a whole new house just so a high school kicker could play somewhere else. ...

Heck our family moved and I didn't play any sports for Mentor.
You may be correct, perhaps there were other issues within the district and perceived opportunities at a smaller and more personalized school. Perhaps the family wanted a more rural setting. I can’t say for sure except what I was told. One way or another I would think Mentor with a student body of 2,600 plus should be able to find a guy who can kick a football from 40 yards and in. They have a very strong soccer program, go grab a soccer player to practice one day a week and kick on Friday nights, lots of schools do this.

You may be correct, perhaps there were other issues within the district and perceived opportunities at a smaller and more personalized school. Perhaps the family wanted a more rural setting. I can’t say for sure except what I was told. One way or another I would think Mentor with a student body of 2,600 plus should be able to find a guy who can kick a football from 40 yards and in. They have a very strong soccer program, go grab a soccer player to practice one day a week and kick on Friday nights, lots of schools do this.
The point was people come and go from all schools. I think it's pretty ironic for a DeSales grad and current lake catholic fan to be appalled at kids leaving one school for another. Care to compare the kids those privates draw in vs these publics ? I doubt it

I'm defending the kid and his family having the choice to move. Don't know how you are trying to spin this as if I'm crying over a kicker leaving. Kids come and go. I concentrate on who we have.

The point was people come and go from all schools. I think it's pretty ironic for a DeSales grad and current lake catholic fan to be appalled at kids leaving one school for another. Care to compare the kids those privates draw in vs these publics ? I doubt it

I'm defending the kid and his family having the choice to move. Don't know how you are trying to spin this as if I'm crying over a kicker leaving. Kids come and go. I concentrate on who we have.
Frankly most schools like Lake and DeSales provide a more personalized and challenging learning environment that families are attracted to. We also have higher behavior standards and can ask families to withdraw their child if the child becomes a distraction to others or themselves in the school community. The schools are not perfect though.

Frankly most schools like Lake and DeSales provide a more personalized and challenging learning environment that families are attracted to. We also have higher behavior standards and can ask families to withdraw their child if the child becomes a distraction to others or themselves in the school community. The schools are not perfect though.
Hate to break it to you but many public schools around here offer just as much if not more than lake catholic all around. Only exception is of course religious stuff.

Higher behavior standards is hilarious. I know plenty of f ups who went to lake catholic. You guys just don't have to take every kid. Perks of private vs public

Judging by his Twitter posts about the Chardon coach Hewitt, here is clearly a kid that didn’t want to be at Mentor. Take from it what you will. Judging from the two field goal attempts we saw yesterday, it’s too bad for Mentor’s sake that Evans left for Chardon.

D90AB227-03AA-42E5-BECA-D2609129EE70.jpeg

Chardon kicker is the cousin of three brothers who kicked for Chardon from 2015-2019. I doubt that they built a new house in Chardon so that their kid could kick for the football team. If they did, well so be it. He is the same age as the sister of the kicker brothers and my understanding is that they have been best friends for most of their lives. Chardon has lost more of their best 8th grade QB's to other schools (4 in the last decade) because we do not "throw the ball enough." Most of those guys end up either playing another position at the school that they transfer to and, in at least one case, came back to Chardon. A lot of people think that their kids are going to be D1 QBs. There was one senior D1 QB offer last year in the entire state of Ohio - the kid from Medina. Mentor's soph QB was offered by Bowling Green over the summer. I know Scotty a little bit and he is a great kid. Hoping he has a great career. As for running teams winning the state championship in all divisions, it is almost a given every year that in every division the team that runs for the most yards, wins the state championship game. Here's a little article that I saved from some time ago. In high school football the old adage is true: You must be able to run the ball and you must be able to stop the run. I believe that was true in all four of the top divisions last year.

Attachments

• Tilton On Running.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 22
Hate to break it to you but many public schools around here offer just as much if not more than lake catholic all around. Only exception is of course religious stuff.

Higher behavior standards is hilarious. I know plenty of f ups who went to lake catholic. You guys just don't have to take every kid. Perks of private vs public
Exactly and we don’t have to put up with the nonsense that goes on in public schools. We can boot out those who cannot conform to basic behavior standards and we can provide a challenging faith based curriculum. Guess what, we are not going to apologize for it either.

Exactly and we don’t have to put up with the nonsense that goes on in public schools. We can boot out those who cannot conform to basic behavior standards and we can provide a challenging faith based curriculum. Guess what, we are not going to apologize for it either.
I mean Mentor offers a better variety and just as great or better schooling vs Lake Catholic which is why they have to go outside Mentor so much to find students..

I'm Catholic myself but I chose Mentor after attending feeder schools for both. So no need to apologize for the faith stuff but Lake catholic isn't some extremely hard to get into school

I mean Mentor offers a better variety and just as great or better schooling vs Lake Catholic which is why they have to go outside Mentor so much to find students..

I'm Catholic myself but I chose Mentor after attending feeder schools for both. So no need to apologize for the faith stuff but Lake catholic isn't some extremely hard to get into school
Catholic education has changed, 20 years ago very few private schools offered special education programs, now most do. Catholic schools have to survive so they aren’t going to just take the cream of the crop students. The question is not who the students are when they come in but it is, what have they become when they leave. By my observations Lake students do very well. It’s amazing when you have standards how well kids will achieve. Also family investment goes a long way.

Catholic education has changed, 20 years ago very few private schools offered special education programs, now most do. Catholic schools have to survive so they aren’t going to just take the cream of the crop students. The question is not who the students are when they come in but it is, what have they become when they leave. By my observations Lake students do very well. It’s amazing when you have standards how well kids will achieve. Also family investment goes a long way.
Again , lake catholic doesn't have anything over Mentor except for religious stuff. For academics, they are nothing special at all. Weren't then and aren't now. That's why they have to go outside Mentor to find students a lot. They aren't a bad school by any means, but they aren't some high level and hard to get into to private school either.

my thoughts based on perceptions
Cleveland area
Upper Tier catholic schools: Gilmour, Ignatius, Magnificat, St. Ed’s, Beaumont

Middle Tier: NDCL, Lake Catholic, Padua, Holy Name, Benedictine

Bottom Tier: CCC, VASJ, Trinity

think I hit them all….

Am I missing something or is this thread way off topic? Let me guess…the bad Mentor poster had another meltdown and threw the thread into outer space. Which school is best for teaching self awareness? Back to the scrimmage or schools that played in it please…

Am I missing something or is this thread way off topic? Let me guess…the bad Mentor poster had another meltdown and threw the thread into outer space. Which school is best for teaching self awareness? Back to the scrimmage or schools that played in it please…
The far left Riverside dude who reads all my posts and then pretends to ignore is back again.

Man you have argued your commie crap on the football board off topic in threads for days on end. Shut up with your hypocrisy in calling others out

Chardon kicker is the cousin of three brothers who kicked for Chardon from 2015-2019. I doubt that they built a new house in Chardon so that their kid could kick for the football team. If they did, well so be it. He is the same age as the sister of the kicker brothers and my understanding is that they have been best friends for most of their lives. Chardon has lost more of their best 8th grade QB's to other schools (4 in the last decade) because we do not "throw the ball enough." Most of those guys end up either playing another position at the school that they transfer to and, in at least one case, came back to Chardon. A lot of people think that their kids are going to be D1 QBs. There was one senior D1 QB offer last year in the entire state of Ohio - the kid from Medina. Mentor's soph QB was offered by Bowling Green over the summer. I know Scotty a little bit and he is a great kid. Hoping he has a great career. As for running teams winning the state championship in all divisions, it is almost a given every year that in every division the team that runs for the most yards, wins the state championship game. Here's a little article that I saved from some time ago. In high school football the old adage is true: You must be able to run the ball and you must be able to stop the run. I believe that was true in all four of the top divisions last year.
Again kids move. The only one questioning the kid moving as a free agent is the private school guy who is hypocritical as heck cuz his school and his kids school recruit in every sport

D1 teams are a lot more balanced overall. You can't be run heavy and Chardon sized and win D1. It just wouldn't happen. Good defensive teams would stuff them. Heck mentor was adjusting and stopping them second half of that scrimmage and our defense is anything but great.

If we ran chardons offense we'd probably lose to eds 9 out of 10 times

The far left Riverside dude who reads all my posts and then pretends to ignore is back again.

Man you have argued your commie crap on the football board off topic in threads for days on end. Shut up with your hypocrisy in calling others out
Back to the scrimmage: My boss/ co-workerhas a kid playing for Mentor and I get my information from him. He said Mentor did not spend one minute prepping for Chardon. The defense was told read the guards and get to the ball. They were more busy prepping for McKinley. I can see how Chardon and it’s misdirection would cause problems.