Cha-Ching As The Money Rolls In For The OHSAA

Does he know what he is talking about? OHSAA is not run by volunteers lol. Not sure what kind of "smoking gun" he got lol

the minutes say nothing about $626,000 more than expected.

note that the OHSAA nor participating school districts receive zero percent of PPV or any media revenues.

the minutes say nothing about $626,000 more than expected.

note that the OHSAA nor participating school districts receive zero percent of PPV or any media revenues.
Controller Laura Vermilya provided the financial report through December. She said that OHSAA revenues following the fall tournaments are currently $626,000 more than projected

Copied directly from the January 12 minutes on the OHSAA site.

Controller Laura Vermilya provided the financial report through December. She said that OHSAA revenues following the fall tournaments are currently $626,000 more than projected

Copied directly from the January 12 minutes on the OHSAA site.
I must have missed it. must have been PPV media audio and video revenue, eh?

Guess how much more money they might make if the stop the stupid cashless crap...not everyone has a debit or credit card...you have cash you are not allowed in

Guess how much more money they might make if the stop the stupid cashless crap...not everyone has a debit or credit card...you have cash you are not allowed in

Fair point. They must know a significant % of hs football fans are up there in age, I feel bad for them. They are the most loyal fans of all and this 100% move to phones and apps and QR codes is very stressful to them.

So a significant amount of people aren’t going to games because it’s cashless?
Not sure i would put it at significant but why in this day and age would you want to possibly turn anyone away who wants to pay to come to a game.?
Went to a Wrestling Tournament earlier this month and had to download their app and all my credit card information about 3x before it was accepted , then had to go back and stand in line to get my phone scanned to get in. Had to do this with my credit card sitting on top of a trash can so i could hurry before the app timed out.
3 guys next to me doing the same thing decided it wasn't worth the hassle and left.
Plus i got charged a service fee on top of the admittance price. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: The next week there was a Tournament even closer to my house i wanted to see. Honestly i got up that morning and decided not to go thinking about the hassle to get in and then doing all that crap on my phone to get a service fee tacked on.

As has been stated repeatedly in every forum this comes up in- they save more money by not having to audit cash transactions than they lose by people who don’t have debit/credit cards attending. And each year the amount of people without a debit/credit card shrinks.

Not sure i would put it at significant but why in this day and age would you want to possibly turn anyone away who wants to pay to come to a game.?
Went to a Wrestling Tournament earlier this month and had to download their app and all my credit card information about 3x before it was accepted , then had to go back and stand in line to get my phone scanned to get in. Had to do this with my credit card sitting on top of a trash can so i could hurry before the app timed out.
3 guys next to me doing the same thing decided it wasn't worth the hassle and left.
Plus i got charged a service fee on top of the admittance price. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: The next week there was a Tournament even closer to my house i wanted to see. Honestly i got up that morning and decided not to go thinking about the hassle to get in and then doing all that crap on my phone to get a service fee tacked on.
so i'm supposed to believe that 3 separate individuals took the time to drive to a sporting event, but they were so frustrated that they had to use their phones (that they spend literally hours a day on) to type in their credit card information and just decided to leave instead? Yep. I bet that happened.

You people need to learn how to read. Let me teach you younger fans something. Older people still pay with cash. They still prefer to go to a ticket office during the week before a game but a ticket and give it to sn individual at the game who takes the tickets.

so i'm supposed to believe that 3 separate individuals took the time to drive to a sporting event, but they were so frustrated that they had to use their phones (that they spend literally hours a day on) to type in their credit card information and just decided to leave instead? Yep. I bet that happened.

Yes. I have been doing it all basketball season. Some are easy to do and some are contracted with sites that require a log in and password be set up, and sometimes I am running late after work to get there or can't find the venue or entrance then I am doing just what he described. For many, myself included, yes it is a bigger hassle than handing someone $7.

And fwiw many of us don't spend hours a day typing on our ****ing phones.

My father won't pay online to go to a game. Wouldn't know how anyway. And he goes to LOTS of regulars season games in many sports.

It was a group of 3 together and the 1 individual who was trying to download the needed app got frustrated and they all left per his decision. Guessing he also was the driver.
Maybe me saying well when you get it figured out you'll get a transaction fee tacked on didn't help either.
There are a lot of casual fans who go to High School Basketball, Football, Wrestling and Track meets like myself who now choose not to have to go through the hassle of downloading apps and credit card information needlessly to attend games. Many people just don't trust putting their credit numbers out there or can't figure out the apps. that aren't always user friendly.
Go to the BMV and watch people outside of all ages try and download their app to get in line. You will learner some nice words many ending in ING or ER.
I believe it was the new Olentangy school had it figured out for Soccer games this year. They had handheld credit card machines at the gate. You could walk up and they touch scanned your card and WOW you were in the game.

Last edited:
Yes in the fall I saw it happen at soccer tournament game. If you are a casual observer with no rooting interest this can be an obstacle. Took my son showing me twice then my wife once more now I get it but I’m not real computer literate. My masters was in flint knapping. So I’m a little slow

As has been stated repeatedly in every forum this comes up in- they save more money by not having to audit cash transactions than they lose by people who don’t have debit/credit cards attending. And each year the amount of people without a debit/credit card shrinks.
No they don't.

It makes the process simpler and quicker, but there isn't any money saved.

No they don't.

It makes the process simpler and quicker, but there isn't any money saved.
There is if you view it holistically. Their accountants, who they pay a salary, now don’t have to do that and can do other things. Time is money and all that.

plus, they would have to rectify the cash ticket sales by people mailing in the unused tickets for verification. Saves them the postage at the very least.

My father won't pay online to go to a game. Wouldn't know how anyway. And he goes to LOTS of regulars season games in many sports.
I don’t doubt that there are people who will only go to a game if they can pay cash.

i do doubt that it’s enough to affect the bottom line in any significant way, and the amount of people who only use cash grows smaller every season. There won’t be a single person complaining in a decade.

There is if you view it holistically. Their accountants, who they pay a salary, now don’t have to do that and can do other things. Time is money and all that.

plus, they would have to rectify the cash ticket sales by people mailing in the unused tickets for verification. Saves them the postage at the very least.
I'm sorry. Are you talking about individual school's ticket sales, or the OHSAA state finals?

Now if you add all the service fees to the lost revenue from people that don't attend there is absolutely no way that is not bigger than the auditing cash transactions cost.

Yes. I have been doing it all basketball season. Some are easy to do and some are contracted with sites that require a log in and password be set up, and sometimes I am running late after work to get there or can't find the venue or entrance then I am doing just what he described. For many, myself included, yes it is a bigger hassle than handing someone $7.

And fwiw many of us don't spend hours a day typing on our ****ing phones.

I don’t.