CFP Expansion

They don’t deserve a shot, they’re not good enough.
Sure they do. If a team from a smaller conference has a great season they deserve a shot. Nothing is guaranteed here. Elitist attitude be damned. It will keep those from non power 5 more interested and actually reward them with a playoff spot in a great year instead of a crappy bowl game

And even if they get blown out in a given year , so what? Notre Dame routinely craps themselves in big bowl games and playoff games and nobody complains

More games equals more revenue. It's simple. Also, look at the ideas being floated around. At 12 teams as opposed to 8 you can bank on all major conference champions getting in, as well as probably at least 1 G5 champ from either the AAC or the Mountain West, while not limiting opportunity for Notre Dame or any at-large teams.

Even if they were boxed out of the top handful of seeds, I don't see this forcing Notre Dame's hand to join a conference. On the contrary, under what's being discussed they would pretty much be guaranteed a spot in the playoff every year if they have two losses or less. At 12 teams the SEC gets at least three and as many as five teams in every year, resulting in huge cash for their member institutions' athletic departments. The other major conferences would probably be guaranteed to get in brand name programs that have two losses as at-larges. This is probably a path of less resistance to expanding the playoffs than going to 8 teams with 5-6 automatic bids.
I think the Notre Dame talk comes from them always having to play an extra game to win it all under this proposal. They can't get a bye because they can't win a conference

Sure they do. If a team from a smaller conference has a great season they deserve a shot. Nothing is guaranteed here. Elitist attitude be damned. It will keep those from non power 5 more interested and actually reward them with a playoff spot in a great year instead of a crappy bowl game

And even if they get blown out in a given year , so what? Notre Dame routinely craps themselves in big bowl games and playoff games and nobody complains
That’s exactly the point. ND and A&M were the 4th & 5th best teams in the country last yr and still got smoked by Bama.

That’s exactly the point. ND and A&M were the 4th & 5th best teams in the country last yr and still got smoked by Bama.
Well Notre Dame gets smoked in every big game. They've done it for over 20 years and still get shots.

So if a non power 5 gets 1 or 2 spots out of 12 it won't harm you.

You're used to seeing Notre Dame crap themselves and the non power 5 team could advance in plenty of years.

Plenty of people go to a non power 5 school and follow them. This helps interest. Not all fans are Wal Mart fans who pick big brands in football and bball with no connection to either school. See Notre Dame football -duke basketball fans. Bama football &Unc basketball fans etc

Last edited:
I think the Notre Dame talk comes from them always having to play an extra game to win it all under this proposal. They can't get a bye because they can't win a conference
And being involved in the various playoff committees, I think their AD and by extension admin and big money people are fine with that because under what's being floated around they'd regularly be seeded in the range where they'd get an extra home game in the first round of the playoff.

No the conference champs are not valued the same way in other sports. A MAC champ is often a 13 or 14 seed vs a 1 or 2 seed from a ACC champ in basketball. Also other sports have a ton of teams competing in the playoffs so it's easy to give auto bids

Football should be more selective and it won't be a monster playoff like D2 because that devalues the sport. Nobody cares about D2 regular season anyways so that doesn't matter to them

You've said some pretty idiotic things on the debate board. But saying a Mac champ should get a guaranteed spot just like a champ from the sec or big 10 has to be among your worst. The difficulty from winning at Miami Ohio vs Alabama going through lsu , Florida etc isn't the same.
Don't care. I want a system where there is no arbitrariness, where every FBS team knows exactly what they have to do in order to get to the playoff. Win your conference and you're in. I don't like that a G5 team could have a historically good year, possibly go undefeated, and still have to hope that other conferences cannibalize themselves. Had last year been a full season and this system were in place, assuming both Coastal Carolina and Cincinnati finished their seasons undefeated, and the rest of the results played out the same around the country (USC going undefeated before losing in the PAC-12 final), who here truly believes both CCU and UC would be in? Consider also that non conference schedules are made several years in advance. It's not like basketball where you can anticipate you will have a good team the following year and fill that schedule with the appropriate rigor of opponents.

You yourself even seem to be hinting that this could make for a more interesting playoff. In basketball, the least interesting games to watch are the 8/9 or 7/10 games between two at large P5 teams. I think there's enough leg to stand on that this could carry over to football.

Don't care. I want a system where there is no arbitrariness, where every FBS team knows exactly what they have to do in order to get to the playoff. Win your conference and you're in. I don't like that a G5 team could have a historically good year, possibly go undefeated, and still have to hope that other conferences cannibalize themselves. Had last year been a full season and this system were in place, assuming both Coastal Carolina and Cincinnati finished their seasons undefeated, and the rest of the results played out the same around the country (USC going undefeated before losing in the PAC-12 final), who here truly believes both CCU and UC would be in? Consider also that non conference schedules are made several years in advance. It's not like basketball where you can anticipate you will have a good team the following year and fill that schedule with the appropriate rigor of opponents.

You yourself even seem to be hinting that this could make for a more interesting playoff. In basketball, the least interesting games to watch are the 8/9 or 7/10 games between two at large P5 teams. I think there's enough leg to stand on that this could carry over to football.
It doesn't matter if you care or not. Your assertion that a Mac champ should be treated equal to a Sec champ is just plain stupid. Many of times the Mac champ has 4 losses and the conference is crap.

If a Mac champ goes undefeated and plays anyone with a pulse, they will be top 12 and get in. But no way in hell should their champ get in automatically every year. The top G5 champ is guaranteed to get in every year. The Mac champ if it's a special year will get in.

16 is the ultimate goal but this is a great step in the right direction, especially the part about highest ranked conference champs regardless of conference. And I like the part where ND can't get a 1st-round bye lol serves them right.

I’d be ok with 8 bc there’s a few 2 loss teams the past couple of yrs who might’ve had a shot: 2012 Texas A&M and 2016 USC.
8 is a good number.

If you're #9, you really have no right to bi*ch about not getting in.

#13 will still complain about getting left out. Not that it's a legitimate complaint, but it will still happen. I think preseason or season rankings prior to the CFP rankings should go away too. Take the subjectivity of wins out of it and rank the the top 25 based on 3/4ths of a season.

#13 will still complain about getting left out. Not that it's a legitimate complaint, but it will still happen. I think preseason or season rankings prior to the CFP rankings should go away too. Take the subjectivity of wins out of it and rank the the top 25 based on 3/4ths of a season.
Especially when there are millions of $s involved in the deal. And then you will have these campus games, hosting a game will mean even more $s so seeds will also play a big part in the equation.

there will be a 3 or 4 loss SEC team that's better than a mid major. This is a bad idea, the regular season will mean less now.

But no one will care when the 13 complains to be honest with ya.

Because for some, 13 is handed to them because of their name, while others have to actually over-earn 13. If that 3 or 4 loss major wants to prove they are better than the high mid-major then schedule them. But they won't.

I don't think you are going to be able to stop independent organizations from ranking teams.

Seems like some ADs want to pump the breaks on expansion after the UT, OU move. If that happens I’ll be pissed

Seems like some ADs want to pump the breaks on expansion after the UT, OU move. If that happens I’ll be pissed
The Pac 12 is leading this charge and is building some support in the brainiac schools in the B1G & ACC. SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is lobbying the group of 5 to stay the course as this gets them a seat at the table. If it stays at 4 the Texas and Oklahoma addition will still be good for $s but the SEC will be limited in the amount of teams getting into the playoff and tick off the many of the current SEC teams. The 12 team playoff is key for the SEC expansion and expect some behind the scenes fighting to keep this train on the tracks.

I'd imagine quite a few ADs and power brokers in the other P5 leagues didn't envision an expanded SEC with two more premium brands that would probably be a lock to get 5-7 teams in every year.

To be quite honest, as is there's probably a good chance that in a lot of years it would be 7 SEC teams with the champs from the other major leagues plus Notre Dame and an AAC team. I wouldn't feel good about any of the other major conferences getting an at-large unless it's a one loss team or a premium brand like Ohio State, Florida State or USC with two losses.

If I was a conference commissioner or the AD at an Ohio State, Clemson, Oregon, etc., I'd want to hold tight at 4 or only jump to 6 or 8 with as many as 6 auto bids (including G5 and Notre Dame meeting certain criteria) unless my league were to make a big expansion splash that would enrich our position.

I think we'd probably see a pulling back of overhyping the SEC if there were 12 playoff spots. There's no need to make silly arguments about 4-loss SEC teams when there so many open spots

Pretty annoying that the OU-Texas move ruined expansion talks. At this point it seems like a vote is unlikely to happen now or anytime soon

There are big meetings today and next week on the CFP expansion and some of the Conferences/Schools have the following issues so there might be a re-visit of the 12 team plan:

• Conference Champ Auto Qualifier: The PAC 12 says this is a must but if the number drops below 12 the SEC wants it to be the best regardless of conference title. Reasoning being that potentially an undeserving 3 or 4 loss conference title team would be wrong if a solid 1 loss team stays home.
  • First Round Games on Campus: Some schools are worried that older northern stadium are not "winterized" enough to host December games. Also this takes away games from traditional bowls and makes their product less attractive.
  • Player Safety: A team can now conceivably by playing up to 17 games in the 12 team model, this is very close to a NFL season and players bodies will be taking a beating.
  • ESPN Dominance: The PAC 12 and Big 12 believe ESPN has an outsized influence in the NCAA CFP discussion and their needs to be new partners to not only check this power but to also bring in additional $s.
  • Rose Bowl: The Rose Bowl is the most traditional Bowl game and they have no interest in giving up it's 5:00 EST January 1 time slot as well as the traditional B1G v PAC 12 match up. In a 12 team format they will need to be flexible.
The end of September could be a key period in the sport's history.

Looks like the new PAC 12 commish is leading the charge on pumping breaks on expansion as being proposed. He thinks ESPN needs to be checked and is saying they have too much say in what is happening, also thinks there are a lot more $s to be had out there if Fox and NBC were to also get a chance to make a bid. He is also getting local pressure to make sure the Rose Bowl gets what they want. The Big 12 and AAC are upset that the SEC commish had a seat on the steering committee and they he knew about the Texas & Oklahoma deal when making the proposal which gave them an advantage. In fact they were going to keep it quiet until after the full vote but a Houston report got the story and created the current mess we are in. Finally ND will veto anything less than 12 teams that has 6 guaranteed spots, they want only the best # in most situations and have threatened to pull out if the 8 team 6 guaranteed spots deal, which the "alliance" group wants gets put to a vote.

By the way, ESPN is throwing their weight in the propaganda wars, most of their NCAA reports are saying why wait and let's get that 12 team deal done. I tend to agree that they need a another voice in the media discussion and it could be a streaming service.