CFP Expansion

MentorGrad2002

They don’t deserve a shot, they’re not good enough.
Sure they do. If a team from a smaller conference has a great season they deserve a shot. Nothing is guaranteed here. Elitist attitude be damned. It will keep those from non power 5 more interested and actually reward them with a playoff spot in a great year instead of a crappy bowl game

And even if they get blown out in a given year , so what? Notre Dame routinely craps themselves in big bowl games and playoff games and nobody complains

MentorGrad2002

More games equals more revenue. It's simple. Also, look at the ideas being floated around. At 12 teams as opposed to 8 you can bank on all major conference champions getting in, as well as probably at least 1 G5 champ from either the AAC or the Mountain West, while not limiting opportunity for Notre Dame or any at-large teams.

Even if they were boxed out of the top handful of seeds, I don't see this forcing Notre Dame's hand to join a conference. On the contrary, under what's being discussed they would pretty much be guaranteed a spot in the playoff every year if they have two losses or less. At 12 teams the SEC gets at least three and as many as five teams in every year, resulting in huge cash for their member institutions' athletic departments. The other major conferences would probably be guaranteed to get in brand name programs that have two losses as at-larges. This is probably a path of less resistance to expanding the playoffs than going to 8 teams with 5-6 automatic bids.
I think the Notre Dame talk comes from them always having to play an extra game to win it all under this proposal. They can't get a bye because they can't win a conference

Omar

Sure they do. If a team from a smaller conference has a great season they deserve a shot. Nothing is guaranteed here. Elitist attitude be damned. It will keep those from non power 5 more interested and actually reward them with a playoff spot in a great year instead of a crappy bowl game

And even if they get blown out in a given year , so what? Notre Dame routinely craps themselves in big bowl games and playoff games and nobody complains
That’s exactly the point. ND and A&M were the 4th & 5th best teams in the country last yr and still got smoked by Bama.

MentorGrad2002

That’s exactly the point. ND and A&M were the 4th & 5th best teams in the country last yr and still got smoked by Bama.
Well Notre Dame gets smoked in every big game. They've done it for over 20 years and still get shots.

So if a non power 5 gets 1 or 2 spots out of 12 it won't harm you.

You're used to seeing Notre Dame crap themselves and the non power 5 team could advance in plenty of years.

Plenty of people go to a non power 5 school and follow them. This helps interest. Not all fans are Wal Mart fans who pick big brands in football and bball with no connection to either school. See Notre Dame football -duke basketball fans. Bama football &Unc basketball fans etc

Last edited:

nwwarrior09

I think the Notre Dame talk comes from them always having to play an extra game to win it all under this proposal. They can't get a bye because they can't win a conference
And being involved in the various playoff committees, I think their AD and by extension admin and big money people are fine with that because under what's being floated around they'd regularly be seeded in the range where they'd get an extra home game in the first round of the playoff.

oxat622

No the conference champs are not valued the same way in other sports. A MAC champ is often a 13 or 14 seed vs a 1 or 2 seed from a ACC champ in basketball. Also other sports have a ton of teams competing in the playoffs so it's easy to give auto bids

Football should be more selective and it won't be a monster playoff like D2 because that devalues the sport. Nobody cares about D2 regular season anyways so that doesn't matter to them

You've said some pretty idiotic things on the debate board. But saying a Mac champ should get a guaranteed spot just like a champ from the sec or big 10 has to be among your worst. The difficulty from winning at Miami Ohio vs Alabama going through lsu , Florida etc isn't the same.
Don't care. I want a system where there is no arbitrariness, where every FBS team knows exactly what they have to do in order to get to the playoff. Win your conference and you're in. I don't like that a G5 team could have a historically good year, possibly go undefeated, and still have to hope that other conferences cannibalize themselves. Had last year been a full season and this system were in place, assuming both Coastal Carolina and Cincinnati finished their seasons undefeated, and the rest of the results played out the same around the country (USC going undefeated before losing in the PAC-12 final), who here truly believes both CCU and UC would be in? Consider also that non conference schedules are made several years in advance. It's not like basketball where you can anticipate you will have a good team the following year and fill that schedule with the appropriate rigor of opponents.

You yourself even seem to be hinting that this could make for a more interesting playoff. In basketball, the least interesting games to watch are the 8/9 or 7/10 games between two at large P5 teams. I think there's enough leg to stand on that this could carry over to football.

MentorGrad2002

Don't care. I want a system where there is no arbitrariness, where every FBS team knows exactly what they have to do in order to get to the playoff. Win your conference and you're in. I don't like that a G5 team could have a historically good year, possibly go undefeated, and still have to hope that other conferences cannibalize themselves. Had last year been a full season and this system were in place, assuming both Coastal Carolina and Cincinnati finished their seasons undefeated, and the rest of the results played out the same around the country (USC going undefeated before losing in the PAC-12 final), who here truly believes both CCU and UC would be in? Consider also that non conference schedules are made several years in advance. It's not like basketball where you can anticipate you will have a good team the following year and fill that schedule with the appropriate rigor of opponents.

You yourself even seem to be hinting that this could make for a more interesting playoff. In basketball, the least interesting games to watch are the 8/9 or 7/10 games between two at large P5 teams. I think there's enough leg to stand on that this could carry over to football.
It doesn't matter if you care or not. Your assertion that a Mac champ should be treated equal to a Sec champ is just plain stupid. Many of times the Mac champ has 4 losses and the conference is crap.

If a Mac champ goes undefeated and plays anyone with a pulse, they will be top 12 and get in. But no way in hell should their champ get in automatically every year. The top G5 champ is guaranteed to get in every year. The Mac champ if it's a special year will get in.