Central Buckeye Conference (CBC) 2023

I (perhaps wrongly) assumed Dublin would not be building another high school for at least another decade. A few weeks ago I saw a tournament game at Jerome H.S. and there was some noticeably significant construction/addition being done to it compared to the last time I was there about five years ago.

JA is probably about 50 kids per class short of the smallest division in the OCC being a no-brainer to me.

Listen, JA has had some success in boys basketball against some OCC teams and maybe a few other sports here and there….but night in, night out in all sports they couldn’t do it right now. Remember, they are just a few boys from Div. IV in football. While there is major growth in the area, the new housing developments in process haven’t sold like they thought the last year or so. The bigger classes are still young. And no, the new league formed in Columbus isn’t going to happen for JA either.

There is growth in the JA area....but what most don't understand is....that growth is mostly Dublin Schools. Dublin can add on to Jerome but it is only a tiny band aid for what is coming growth wise with the amount of houses that has happened in the Jerome area alone. Most of what has been put in does have a Plain City address and Zip code, but it is Dublin schools.

Last edited:
People have been predicting exponential growth for the JA school system for 20 years and it still hasn’t happened. JA would be smart to wait until they actually have that many kids rather than projecting it to go to the OCC.

People have been predicting exponential growth for the JA school system for 20 years and it still hasn’t happened. JA would be smart to wait until they actually have that many kids rather than projecting it to go to the OCC.
That’s because most people have no idea what they are talking about. Is there a lot of new development? Absolutely. But it’s going to take a while for it to trickle up to the HS level. The Biden economy has certainly slowed these new housing developments from selling. There were already high starting price points ($400k is a base model with nothing in it) and rates doubling have put the brakes on things. There’s also a sewer issue that been making progress, but still a long way to go. That’s slowed things down. Plain City leadership is also extremely clueless on development.

That’s because most people have no idea what they are talking about. Is there a lot of new development? Absolutely. But it’s going to take a while for it to trickle up to the HS level. The Biden economy has certainly slowed these new housing developments from selling. There were already high starting price points ($400k is a base model with nothing in it) and rates doubling have put the brakes on things. There’s also a sewer issue that been making progress, but still a long way to go. That’s slowed things down. Plain City leadership is also extremely clueless on development.
Do the students living in the older developments near New California attend Alder, Jerome or a combination of the two? Specifically, the development(s) across from Pioneer Crossing.

Why is all the talk about Jonathan Alder going to the OCC? Aren't London and Bellefontaine bigger schools? And, haven't they been more successful last few years? Is it just a geographical thing or what? Teays Valley is joining this year or next, and they are pretty far south from the columbus area. And I think Logan HS is the other one, that is REALLY far out there, past Lancaster. So geographically, OCC doesnt really seem to care.

Why is all the talk about Jonathan Alder going to the OCC? Aren't London and Bellefontaine bigger schools? And, haven't they been more successful last few years? Is it just a geographical thing or what? Teays Valley is joining this year or next, and they are pretty far south from the columbus area. And I think Logan HS is the other one, that is REALLY far out there, past Lancaster. So geographically, OCC doesnt really seem to care.
Jonathan Alder has a significantly better overall athletic program than both of those schools. Six years in the CBC, and they're going to win their sixth consecutive all-sports trophy. By my count, going into the spring they have won outright or shared 50 team sport conference championships in those six years, and there weren't any spring sports in 2020 due to COVID. 50. They've consistently been really strong in football, boys and girls basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball, and cross country.

They are at least as dominant, and I would argue probably more dominant, than Tippecanoe was in the league in their last years before they were encouraged to find the door and leave for the GWOC. If they ever have some modest growth in enrollment to where their high school enrollment grows from around 650 to say the 800-850 range...it's going to be a major problem for everybody else in this league.

Jonathan Alder has a significantly better overall athletic program than both of those schools. Six years in the CBC, and they're going to win their sixth consecutive all-sports trophy. By my count, going into the spring they have won outright or shared 50 team sport conference championships in those six years, and there weren't any spring sports in 2020 due to COVID. 50. They've consistently been really strong in football, boys and girls basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball, and cross country.

They are at least as dominant, and I would argue probably more dominant, than Tippecanoe was in the league in their last years before they were encouraged to find the door and leave for the GWOC. If they ever have some modest growth in enrollment to where their high school enrollment grows from around 650 to say the 800-850 range...it's going to be a major problem for everybody else in this league.
The fact that Alder will win the CBC all-sports trophy this year is bad news for the CBC. This has been their least successful overall year in sports in at least the last 10 years. And they will win it by a comfortable margin after Spring sports.

Alder is definitely the class of the CBC but in no way shape or form was Tipp asked to leave. Quite the opposite, their departure caused a lot of stress for many schools. Don’t confuse hating the Tipp culture and leadership for wanting them to leave.
From a Bellefontaine perspective, we love London and Alder in the league. Have had some great games Vs Alder and London has set a bar we hope to soon reach.

Alder is definitely the class of the CBC but in no way shape or form was Tipp asked to leave. Quite the opposite, their departure caused a lot of stress for many schools. Don’t confuse hating the Tipp culture and leadership for wanting them to leave.
From a Bellefontaine perspective, we love London and Alder in the league. Have had some great games Vs Alder and London has set a bar we hope to soon reach.
London has been the standard as of late in football. Bellefontaine v Alder record in football is 3-3 since Alder joined the league. Baseball and softball have been Alder and KR…Alder for mens basketball and Tecumseh for girls. I could see Alder being a D2 or smaller D1 school in the next 5-10 years. The housing development there is crazy.

The fact that Alder will win the CBC all-sports trophy this year is bad news for the CBC. This has been their least successful overall year in sports in at least the last 10 years. And they will win it by a comfortable margin after Spring sports.
i think Alder would be a better fit competitively in the OCC small school division than Teays Valley/Logan will be in there new alignment. TV/Logan are going to get the lights knocked out of them when they play Pick Central/Reynoldsburg. Alder would finish with a winning record in the OCC Capital year in/out i would predict.

i think Alder would be a better fit competitively in the OCC small school division than Teays Valley/Logan will be in there new alignment. TV/Logan are going to get the lights knocked out of them when they play Pick Central/Reynoldsburg. Alder would finish with a winning record in the OCC Capital year in/out i would predict.
I think you are selling some of those schools short - they have some size and are growing...again, depth would be an issue for Alder, especially in football. Logan is going to be way in over their head.

I think you are selling some of those schools short - they have some size and are growing...again, depth would be an issue for Alder, especially in football. Logan is going to be way in over their head.
I will admit, i think Teays Valley has the potential to become a Big Walnut type of athletic program. but they have been average in the MSL the past few years playing mostly average to below average D3-5 schools. i generally see Alder as a pretty similar demographic to Teays Valley and Big Walnut.

Probably most know but the CBC tracks the All Sports on their website...interesting read. JA is not as dominate in football as one would think and I honestly cannot believe cheerleading is a factor in determining the All Sports champ but it is what it is, though they do provide a lot of points to KR standings...just say'n.

Since 2017 (London in 2018) first place for most points in football

Bellefontaine - 3 (1 is a tie with London)
Alder -2
London -2 (1 is a tie with Bellefontaine)

Racked and Stacked points and averages over the years per CBC website and weighted for years in the conference.
London - 28 points (Avg. 5.6points)
Alder - 29.5 points (Avg. 4.91points)
Bellefontaine - 27 points (Avg. 4.5points)
Shawnee - 22.5 points (Avg. 3.75points)
Tecumseh - 15 points (Avg. 2.5 points)
KR - 9 points (Avg. 1.5 points) - Seriously...thank God for your cheerleaders and bowling team.

IMHO, London is the class of the Kenton Trail Division in football. Bellefontaine (3-3) and Shawnee (2-4) against Alder are by no means "out classed"...really good, close games and I suspect both of those teams have advanced further in the playoffs than Alder over the years. London, Bellefontaine and Alder are the perennial favorites but Shawnee is the team that can upset the apple cart and that is what made the KT division good to watch. However, Alder is the dominate All Sports Champ but take that with a grain of salt when talking only about football.

The difference and similarities between bowling and golf; no matter how much beer I drink, one ball I look for and the other it finds me but somehow my scores seem to be the same.

I will admit, i think Teays Valley has the potential to become a Big Walnut type of athletic program. but they have been average in the MSL the past few years playing mostly average to below average D3-5 schools. i generally see Alder as a pretty similar demographic to Teays Valley and Big Walnut.
The big difference between Alder and Teays are housing prices. Teays comes in way, way less. There will be quicker growth in that district as there is more open land as well.
London has been the standard as of late in football. Bellefontaine v Alder record in football is 3-3 since Alder joined the league. Baseball and softball have been Alder and KR…Alder for mens basketball and Tecumseh for girls. I could see Alder being a D2 or smaller D1 school in the next 5-10 years. The housing development there is crazy.
Alder was several boys from being Division IV in football the last two years (as in 6 or less). There aren't any classes in the near future that would push them up anywhere close to Division I (or even II)

The big difference between Alder and Teays are housing prices. Teays comes in way, way less. There will be quicker growth in that district as there is more openall land as well.

Alder was several boys from being Division IV in football the last two years (as in 6 or less). There aren't any classes in the near future that would push them up anywhere close to Division I (or even II)
Like I said...5-10 years I dont see them being in Division 3 football with the housing boom their community is experiencing. Division 1 size..maybe not.

The big difference between Alder and Teays are housing prices. Teays comes in way, way less. There will be quicker growth in that district as there is more open land as well.
Teays is also underpinned by having three villages, one of which has experienced significant growth due to the increasing sprawl of Grove City and its southern & eastern extremes and… yep… LOTS of open land.

Like I said...5-10 years I dont see them being in Division 3 football with the housing boom their community is experiencing. Division 1 size..maybe not.
And like I said, the growth isn’t quite on the pace people think…the housing sales have slowed dramatically. So much so that the district altered their budget a bit. They will still be division III five years from now…10? Maybe. If democrats keep this current pattern up lord only knows what shape we’ll all be in.

And like I said, the growth isn’t quite on the pace people think…the housing sales have slowed dramatically. So much so that the district altered their budget a bit. They will still be division III five years from now…10? Maybe. If democrats keep this current pattern up lord only knows what shape we’ll all be in.
😂 lighten up Francis

Slow off season for the CBC, Graham and Ben Logan were the only coaching changes correct? Figured there would be more talk with the Urbana/Shawnee switch up!
Well we know Urbana isn't thrilled with it since they voted against it. But I don't really think Shawnee is happy either. I think running that gauntlet every year really got them ready for the postseason run. That said I do think Shawnee gets the better end of this deal. They are in a spot where they can complete for the Division every year in pretty much every sport.

travel gets worse for the Braves. ex. trips to North Union, Ben Logan, and Indian Lake all in the same season.

Urbana isn’t happy because they know that during a down cycle, they will be in trouble.

while Shawnee has a great program and compete in the Kenton Trail, they belong in the Mad River due to size.

Well we know Urbana isn't thrilled with it since they voted against it. But I don't really think Shawnee is happy either. I think running that gauntlet every year really got them ready for the postseason run. That said I do think Shawnee gets the better end of this deal. They are in a spot where they can complete for the Division every year in pretty much every sport.
I was under the impression that Shawnee asked for this to happen? Any truth to that? Yeah, I agree, Shawnee was somewhat competitive on the Big School side. Now they should do really well on the Small School side. As for Urbana, this should be a great test for them, right? Last year they finally seemed to find their stride, 8-2 and a playoff win ... that is HUGE for them. Now they can take that success and use it to propel themselves into this new chapter.

Any word on what is going on over at Ben Logan? Spread team that hired a not spread guy, wonder how that will work out?

I was under the impression that Shawnee asked for this to happen? Any truth to that? Yeah, I agree, Shawnee was somewhat competitive on the Big School side. Now they should do really well on the Small School side. As for Urbana, this should be a great test for them, right? Last year they finally seemed to find their stride, 8-2 and a playoff win ... that is HUGE for them. Now they can take that success and use it to propel themselves into this new chapter.

Any word on what is going on over at Ben Logan? Spread team that hired a not spread guy, wonder how that will work out?
well, the spread didn’t seem to be working for them. a change seems justifiable. that school has a lot of great athletes but never seem to put it together.

I was told it came down to a bylaw that stated the smallest 6 schools are MR and the biggest are KT.

And Shawnee asked for it. They haven't won a league championship in football since 2011. Longest drought in Kenton Trail including KR and Tecumseh.
That is true but how do the Braves do in the playoffs? IMO, SHS plays a fairly solid OOC schedule and then they have competed well in the KTD. What was that Alder vs SHS score last year? Granted they do not run the table on the KTD but they are a snake in the grass to the bigger schools. Do they need to roll up the OOC to cupcakes, pad their win/losses? When was the last time Alder or London played Clinton Massie, Springfield, etc.? Remember we are talking about a DIV and at times DV school.