Central Buckeye Conference 2022

Who are the players to watch going into next season? Obviously the QB at Bellefontaine is on that list, if OSU is watching him maybe we should be too, lol. Who else? Any under the radar kids that might jump on the scene this year?
They will have weapons all over the field for the next two seasons. They trailed London by only 7 late in that game and I think realized their potential down the stretch last year. Number 1 will be well known throughout the CBC next year.

The Urbana Bellefontaine rivalry basically ended once the Climbers went to the Mad River Division. Bellefontaine played Wapak for years and now no longer do. Times change. Urbana is now closer to West Liberty's enrollment than Bellefontaine's. Urbana WLS is the nonconference game that should happen in the near future.
The reason Bellefontaine and Wapak no longer play in Week1 is because Bellefontaine wanted to preserve their long rivalry with Sidney. Sidney went to a 9-game league schedule in the Miami Valley League, and in order to preserve this rivalry, they moved the Bellefontaine game from Week 2 to Week 1.

Interesting side note, Sidney used to play St.Marys opening game every year. Since Sidney had to drop St.Marys to play Bellefontaine, St.Marys now opens with London.

Last edited:
In regards to football……

Bellefontaine has two historical rivalries, Urbana and Sidney

BHS and UHS have played 105 times since 1899
BHS and SHS have played 114 times since 1899

Almost everyone I know here in town greatly relishes that kind of history. Just nothing you can do to recreate something from 2 centuries ago.

Bellefontaine also has two local rivalries, Ben Logan and Indian Lake. These rivalries are more recent as those two districts are far younger than the previous mentioned. Games were almost alway lopsided until the last 15 years or so, where County wins became more common. The fact that the schools are 10-15 minutes apart makes for natural fits.

Urbana, Ben Logan, Indian Lake, Wapakoneta, Sidney, Kenton i would all consider rivalry games.
Wapak was a good game for about 25 years but there’s almost zero interaction between the communities, so definitely not a “rival”
Besides some scrimmages with Kenton, it’s been many years since they’ve been on the schedule. No rivalry at all.

Wapak was a good game for about 25 years but there’s almost zero interaction between the communities, so definitely not a “rival”
Besides some scrimmages with Kenton, it’s been many years since they’ve been on the schedule. No rivalry at all.
i think Kenton/Wapak would be a really good jamboree game for Bellefontaine. it’s a shame neither of those schools have open weeks available to schedule a regional opponent such as bellefontaine, both those opponents coukd very easily develop into rivals but the WBL scheduling prevents that.

Bellefontaine has settled in with North Union for the Jamboree. Not sure that needs to change anytime soon.

BHS reached out to Kenton a few years ago when the schedules were in flux due to conference realignment. Kenton stated they had no interest in changing from Coldwater. Can’t say they still feel that way. That was about 4-5 years ago.

BHS would like to play Sidney in week 1, a tough OOC opponent in week 2 then Urbana in week 3. That’s no longer possible so the week 3 game will possibly become a bi-annual chore to schedule. The Licking Heights series is not likely to be extended. The Coldwater series could also be troublesome for the BHS teams that aren’t as strong as it’s not likely Coldwater experiences any downturn anytime soon.

It will be interesting what teams are signed beyond 2023 in weeks 2/3. The teams that typically show interest in Bellefontaine are often laughably difficult. Marysville, Pick North, Elder, Upper Arlington, etc. to name a few. The MVL and WBL scheduling formats really limit the “sister” type programs available.

Bellefontaine has settled in with North Union for the Jamboree. Not sure that needs to change anytime soon.

BHS reached out to Kenton a few years ago when the schedules were in flux due to conference realignment. Kenton stated they had no interest in changing from Coldwater. Can’t say they still feel that way. That was about 4-5 years ago.

BHS would like to play Sidney in week 1, a tough OOC opponent in week 2 then Urbana in week 3. That’s no longer possible so the week 3 game will possibly become a bi-annual chore to schedule. The Licking Heights series is not likely to be extended. The Coldwater series could also be troublesome for the BHS teams that aren’t as strong as it’s not likely Coldwater experiences any downturn anytime soon.

It will be interesting what teams are signed beyond 2023 in weeks 2/3. The teams that typically show interest in Bellefontaine are often laughably difficult. Marysville, Pick North, Elder, Upper Arlington, etc. to name a few. The MVL and WBL scheduling formats really limit the “sister” type programs available.
Interesting item regarding the MVL, they are technically a 2-division league, yet they still play a round robin schedule. You would think with divisions, they would only have 7-8 league games.

Anyone heard any rumors of a CBC restructure? Heard a rumor that a school on the "Big School" (KT) side wants to move to the "small school" side (MR). I know that the OHSAA re-calculates the numbers every so often, 2 years I believe, maybe there is something to this.

Anyone heard any rumors of a CBC restructure? Heard a rumor that a school on the "Big School" (KT) side wants to move to the "small school" side (MR). I know that the OHSAA re-calculates the numbers every so often, 2 years I believe, maybe there is something to this.
By the numbers there should be and it should have occurred the last time they did the enrollment numbers, but competitively they have it right IMO.

I can't believe the school that by the numbers should be on the MR side would want or request to leave the KT side. The only change that would make any sense to me would be swapping two schools to make the divisions more geographic, with all of the Clark and Madison county schools in the KT and all of the northern schools in the MR.

Shawnee has been small enough to be in the MR. Competitively, they've been fine in the KT so far but see a downturn in talent coming so they understandably are looking to restructure.

Shawnee has been small enough to be in the MR. Competitively, they've been fine in the KT so far but see a downturn in talent coming so they understandably are looking to restructure.
Assuming that's true, they'd still have to have somebody replace them by sliding from the MR to the KT. I doubt any of the 2-3 largest MR schools want any part of that.

Assuming that's true, they'd still have to have somebody replace them by sliding from the MR to the KT. I doubt any of the 2-3 largest MR schools want any part of that.
It is my feeling Shawnee will be a D4 this coming year, which is good for the rest of the KT (points wise). I too doubt anyone in the MR would want to jump ship and switch with SHS. Though SHS has not been the KT top dog and won a division title in many years, they do compete well in the playoffs. The mere fact of them getting points from the D2-D3 schools in the KT builds their resume come week 11. I don't know their mindset but I would have to think playoffs are a bigger picture than divisional titles and the KT provides that path better than the MR, especially if they were to flop with a better MR team...gotta think about the points and strength of schedule to prep your kids for the playoffs...IMHO.

Any talk of schools leaving the CBC completely? I like this conference and I feel it's the template that the TRC is built on.

Any talk of schools leaving the CBC completely? I like this conference and I feel it's the template that the TRC is built on.
Alder has been mentioned, but we are years out from that. i don’t think anyone leaves.. for now. i also think Bellefontaine and Northwestern need to switch divisions, i’m sure Northwestern is not too happy about it’s current travel situation.

i don’t see any schools growing or shrinking outside of the D3-5 range.

Alder has been mentioned, but we are years out from that. i don’t think anyone leaves.. for now. i also think Bellefontaine and Northwestern need to switch divisions, i’m sure Northwestern is not too happy about it’s current travel situation.

i don’t see any schools growing or shrinking outside of the D3-5 range.
This makes sense geographically, putting NW with Shawnee and KR. But NW isn't competitive in the MR so I really doubt they'd want to swap divisions. But if NW leaves (TRC, OHC?) which I think is doubtful, I'd like to see Bellefontaine jump over to the MR and a new team in the KT division. Just my take, zero insider knowledge

I don’t have the picture but my son showed me a photo of BHS QB Tavian St Clair on his unofficial visit to Ohio St today. He got the full treatment in regards to coaches, practice and photo shoot. Just crazy to think. Good for him and his family.

This is interesting… Urbana that much larger than Shawnee in enrollment?
Graham is actually bigger than Urbana i believe. but yes they’re both a good but bigger than Shawnee.
i think this is great- all the clark county schools should be able to play eachother now!

Graham and Urbana are d4 in football and Shawnee is d5, which shocks me. I thought Shawnee was much bigger than that just a few years ago.