Central Buckeye Conference 2022

Urbana dropped Bellefontaine from the schedule effective immediately from what I have heard...sad to have such a historical series be dropped.

I am sure they will pick up the phone again and want to start it up again as soon as they return to a competitive program.

Urbana's nonconference schedule was way too difficult last season for where the program is at. And if Bellefontaine is going to be as good as they think they are, they'd benefit from playing someone else, too.

Urbana Admin and football should be ashamed of themselves for dropping a 100+ year rivalry. Tradition and gate must mean nothing.

The contract was up. Urbana would have been fine with playing Bellefontaine as a cross over game. Makes absolutely no sense for Urbana to play them as a non-league game.

I saw Urbana will be traveling to Columbus Northland and Bellefontaine will be hosting Licking Heights.. probably a big upgrade for both teams competitively.

My question- why would Urbana drop Bellefontaine, but are willing to play West Jefferson and Fort Recovery?

As the other guy said, if the contract was up between Bellefontaine and Urbana then it would have been an easy game to replace. Guessing West Jeff and Ft. Recovery are still under contract.

It’s a joke. Urbana has played these games for years. Always trying to take the easy way out. Bellefontaine now opens with Sidney, Coldwater, and Licking Heights. You won’t hear them crying about it.

The Urbana Bellefontaine rivalry basically ended once the Climbers went to the Mad River Division. Bellefontaine played Wapak for years and now no longer do. Times change. Urbana is now closer to West Liberty's enrollment than Bellefontaine's. Urbana WLS is the nonconference game that should happen in the near future.

Just a bunch of excuses

7th oldest rivalry in Ohio. 1st played in 1899.

Urbana likes to act like they are a small school. They are D4 and Bellefontaine is D3 but you want to play WLS who is D5/6. Funny how you’d like to see Urbana play down.

Bellefontaine schedules tough teams year in and year out, so it’s not like they’re looking for an easy game. They’d like to play Urbana because the game means something. Urbana chooses to get their teeth kicked in by other OOC schools instead. Just dumb.

Last edited:
HS football goes in cycles for 90% of schools. Urbana and Bellefontaine fall in that category
The admin and coaches at Urbana are short sighted enough to give up something so historic for a perceived short term advantage. It’s asanine.
Bellefontaine has proven its not about an “easy win”. They’ve lost Urbana twice in the past handful of years and they’ve added Troy and now Licking Heights. Not exactly lay ups.

HS football goes in cycles for 90% of schools. Urbana and Bellefontaine fall in that category
The admin and coaches at Urbana are short sighted enough to give up something so historic for a perceived short term advantage. It’s asanine.
Bellefontaine has proven its not about an “easy win”. They’ve lost Urbana twice in the past handful of years and they’ve added Troy and now Licking Heights. Not exactly lay ups.
Licking Heights has gone 1-9, 2-3 and 5-4 the last three years.

The guys that played on the 1-9 won’t be there. They were 5-5 last year and according to JoeEitel played competitively vs a tough schedule. The Chiefs added them on short notice. They don’t have to defend their schedule. Troy, Licking Heights, Wapak, Coldwater, Watterson, Marysville etc. I’m sure I’m missing some.

678E8FB2-3AB9-4F0E-8BCE-7449C4307E93.png

5-5 and playing folks like New Albany, Canton Central Catholic, etc. Dont know anything more but I bet they’d be competitive in the CBC
Hell, just realized the beat the D5 State Runners Up in D5. That puts a big dent on your slight.

Urbana has won 2 games in the last three seasons. Bellefontaine thinks it can win its region in the next year or two. It's a mismatch. And Bellefontaine already has to play three Division 5 teams. Playing a bad Division 4 isn't going to help them. Meanwhile, Urbana desperately needs wins to build a program. The coach may feel he needs wins to save his job.

Urbana and Bellefontaine didn't play from 2007-2012. And Bellefontaine was terrible the last few years of that time period. The first couple of those years both were locked into contracts so they couldn't schedule each other, but whose call was it not to play from 2009-2012? So you can throw 1899 out there all you'd like, but let's not act like Urbana and Bellefontaine not playing is unprecedented.

I do agree that the other two nonconference games on Urbana's schedule make no sense. Hopefully that gets remedied after this season.

Licking Heights is far from a layup.

Two problems here: 1) Urbana's non-conference schedule has been way too difficult for where their program is at, which they need to remedy after this year. 2) this game should be a crossover and neither should be burning a non-league game to get it in yearly.

Two problems here: 1) Urbana's non-conference schedule has been way too difficult for where their program is at, which they need to remedy after this year. 2) this game should be a crossover and neither should be burning a non-league game to get it in yearly.
you’re exactly right.

ugh, if only the CBC had permanent crossovers

Urbana has won 2 games in the last three seasons. Bellefontaine thinks it can win its region in the next year or two. It's a mismatch. And Bellefontaine already has to play three Division 5 teams. Playing a bad Division 4 isn't going to help them. Meanwhile, Urbana desperately needs wins to build a program. The coach may feel he needs wins to save his job.

Urbana and Bellefontaine didn't play from 2007-2012. And Bellefontaine was terrible the last few years of that time period. The first couple of those years both were locked into contracts so they couldn't schedule each other, but whose call was it not to play from 2009-2012? So you can throw 1899 out there all you'd like, but let's not act like Urbana and Bellefontaine not playing is unprecedented.

I do agree that the other two nonconference games on Urbana's schedule make no sense. Hopefully that gets remedied after this season.
They might want to do better than go 2-3 in the CBC KT before they go winning the region multiple years in a row.

Licking Heights is a Div II school and yes, a game with them is no layup. However if Bellefontaine has aspirations of contending for a Regional title over the next couple of seasons they should beat LH by at least 3 td’s.

Licking Heights is a Div II school and yes, a game with them is no layup. However if Bellefontaine has aspirations of contending for a Regional title over the next couple of seasons they should beat LH by at least 3 td’s.
Bellefontaine winning a regional title? Never ceases to amaze me. Every parent/ fan think their class is once a generation. Hilarious. 2-3 in a very bad league.

Oh I was only repeating what I read in a earlier post on Themis thread regarding a regional Title. Div III, Region 11 will always go thru the CLC champ, Granville, London/JA and Jackson.

IL and/or BL would complain if they didn't get Bellefontaine as a cross-over.

Bellefontaine winning a regional title? Never ceases to amaze me. Every parent/ fan think their class is once a generation. Hilarious. 2-3 in a very bad league.
Show me where a Bellefontaine poster ever said they’d win the region.
Bellefontaine returns nearly every player from a young team that did some great things. They also had stretches where they were bad.
Rolling Train has seen them at their worst so he rolls his eyes and hates. You won’t here him mention the Tri Valley game, the Watterson game or the 1st half of Western Brown. He will focus on their worst moments. That’s fine, the worst parts were part of who they were to.
I hope he’s still on here if they win a big game next year. He went radio silent after the playoff win.

Show me where a Bellefontaine poster ever said they’d win the region.
Bellefontaine returns nearly every player from a young team that did some great things. They also had stretches where they were bad.
Rolling Train has seen them at their worst so he rolls his eyes and hates. You won’t here him mention the Tri Valley game, the Watterson game or the 1st half of Western Brown. He will focus on their worst moments. That’s fine, the worst parts were part of who they were to.
I hope he’s still on here if they win a big game next year. He went radio silent after the playoff win.
Actually I saw just about every Bellefontaine game…facts are facts, they went 2-3 in the KT, 1-1 against MR teams. They’ve got a ways to go.

You win my dude. Those are the facts.

While your sorting through your facts, remember that Licking Heights beat Harvest Prep who killed Eastmoor who killed your beloved Alder. Those facts would indicate that adding Licking Heights didn’t deserve your sarcastic post.

Now back to the CBC 2022. I’d say that JA, Bellefontaine, Shawnee and London will be the top 4 in some order with KR and Tecumseh dangerous but pulling up the rear. Hard to say in February how it shakes out, but I expect there to be some great games.

Last I checked, it is not a crime to be positive, optimistic and excited about your program and their expectations for a strong season.

@powerpost "Bellefontaine winning a regional title? Never ceases to amaze me. Every parent/ fan think their class is once a generation. Hilarious. 2-3 in a very bad league."

A very bad league?? Interesting take....Springfield Shawnee, London, Jonathan Alder, Bellefontaine all on one side of the conference makes it a bad league? Sounds like some old wounds spewing some bitterness because that is a very poor and inaccurate statement.

It will all prove itself out for sure, in the meantime please continue to be amazed that parents and fans believe in their program, school and athletes to be great! Maybe you should get a dose of what they are breathing in....

Bellefontaine did lose 3 games on their side of the league. Shawnee tough loss, Alder had their number and London got away in 2nd half after a 14-6 halftime score. Its definitely a process and its not getting easier with Coldwater and Licking Heights added to schedule. Bellefontaine has a ton young talent and there is a good chance they are going to take that next step. Apparently Ohio State is visiting their school. Its great for the league.

I checked with the source on the OSU thing. The facts are this. OSU’s Kevin Wilson spent about an hour at BHS a couple weeks ago. That has been followed by another assistant (not sure the name) being in several contacts by phone. BHS has been invited to play 7v7 at OSU sometime this summer.

Anyone with a brain knows that OSU offers are like lottery tickets, so no one that matters is proclaiming anything……..That being said, the QBs talent is real and there will be plenty of opportunities down the road.

I think all are aware that major improvements need to be made to take the next step, but the same people saying it can’t happen are the same ones that said they couldn’t win a playoff game on the road vs the 3 seed.

Who are the players to watch going into next season? Obviously the QB at Bellefontaine is on that list, if OSU is watching him maybe we should be too, lol. Who else? Any under the radar kids that might jump on the scene this year?